Register Register

Author Topic: Arcturus vs Everyone: The Tamar Rising Discussion Thread  (Read 52141 times)

GuyIncognito

• Master Sergeant
Re: Arcturus vs Everyone: The Tamar Rising Discussion Thread
« Reply #720 on: 27 January 2022, 15:34:40 »
I don't think I noticed the Sentinels' colorscheme in the book. What is it?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #721 on: 27 January 2022, 15:43:11 »
Camospecs has it.  It's basically Jade Falcon Delta Galaxy with more yellow that's less eye-searing.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

GuyIncognito

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #722 on: 27 January 2022, 15:50:26 »
Oh, thanks. It's so new I didn't even think to look at CamoSpecs, haha.

The olive green really does help.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #723 on: 27 January 2022, 23:04:54 »
Figured I’d cross-post this

Also coming very soon:

No Substitute for Victory
An ilClan Era Novel by Blaine Lee Pardoe

TOO OLD TO FIGHT, TOO YOUNG TO DIE…

For nearly a decade, the relentless warriors of Clan Jade Falcon have held the world of Jangso in the A Place system, using it as a training ground for their next generation of warriors. When the planet’s garrison departs to join other Falcon forces in the fight for Terra, the Clans’ ultimate prize, aging Star Commander Hasara is ordered to remain behind. Deemed too old to be worthy of going to Terra, he still embraces his honor, and vows to safeguard the planet and all of the cadets too young to join the fight.

The Lyran Commonwealth, still stinging from losing Jangso to the Falcons, resolves to exploit their absence by taking back the planet before the Falcons can return. Armed with military intelligence and smuggled BattleMechs, Lyran natives on Jangso launch critical strikes at Hasara, his ex-MechWarrior partner, and the Falcon cadets under their wings, luring them into a trap.

But the Lyrans have greatly underestimated the Falcons’ indomitable spirit and the lengths they will go to when driven to the brink of desperation. As Hasara wrestles with his own sense of honor, and faces dwindling morale and diminishing returns against troops seeking to exterminate him and his cadets, he must prove there is still enough fight left in his old bones to secure a victory for the future of his Clan.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

GuyIncognito

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #724 on: 28 January 2022, 00:06:18 »
I did really love the desperate collection of Mechs we see the Fallen Falcons fielding in Tamar Rising. I can’t really convey how big my smile got reading the intro fiction and seeing Falcon Archers, Wolfhounds, and whatnot.

Gorgon

• Sergeant
« Reply #725 on: 28 January 2022, 06:21:34 »
The Fallen Falcons are a really interesting lot (flock?). It's gonna be fun following their misadventures. Great book all around. I like the way the IlClan era is shaping up.

What I particularely liked about it, it broadend my understanding of Clan society. Just like Wars of Reaving gave me a much better understanding of Clan politics, Tamar Rising helped me get a feeling for the economics of the IS Clans.

For someone who's fandom has been mostly focused in the IS, this is really nice. It enriches my understanding of the universe and makes it more enjoyable 

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #726 on: 28 January 2022, 11:29:27 »
My FedEx tracking says the book is going to magically jump from Texas to my hands here in the Bay Area, Northern California.  I'm skeptical and hopeful at the same time!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Always the least qualified person in the room
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #727 on: 28 January 2022, 11:34:06 »
they threw it like a frisbee and it's coming down within 500 yards of your house. i recommend at least four spotters tracking se/e

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Part of the fanbase: I have very fringe interests
Same part of the fanbase: Why are my interests not specifically catered to and legitimized by canon?

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #728 on: 28 January 2022, 12:41:38 »
they threw it like a frisbee and it's coming down within 500 yards of your house.
Except the frisbee part, quite likely.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #729 on: 28 January 2022, 23:46:48 »
Sorry if it was mentioned already, I haven't been keeping up with the whole thread...

Are there any new Mechs or variants in this book? I know I know we just got a ton in the RecGuides...I'm just curious
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #730 on: 28 January 2022, 23:57:19 »
nope

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Same part of the fanbase: Why are my interests not specifically catered to and legitimized by canon?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #731 on: 29 January 2022, 01:06:02 »
The book has RATs that list Rec Guide mechs, but unlike IlClan doesn't contain any actual mech stats.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #732 on: 29 January 2022, 12:35:31 »
Just got my box today.  My salvage mech was a Gladiator.  Already got one of those from the box set, but I guess it beats another Loki.

Mine too, but frankly I would’ve been ok with anything other than another Koshi.

Brigoon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #733 on: 03 February 2022, 17:15:49 »
I have a question about the map in Tamar Rising.

Does the Malthus Confederation own all the worlds in grey or just Dustball in it's weird darker Grey?

What does the fox say?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #734 on: 03 February 2022, 17:51:20 »
Regular gray is uncontrolled. Malthus is only on dustball, plenty of other places have Malthus influence, but not outright controlled.

Brigoon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #735 on: 03 February 2022, 17:55:59 »
Regular gray is uncontrolled. Malthus is only on dustball, plenty of other places have Malthus influence, but not outright controlled.

Sweet thank you
What does the fox say?

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #736 on: 05 February 2022, 22:44:46 »
I appreciate the Tamar AMA mentioning Jiyi was written as a clan Grayson Carlyle. The battle against the hells horses does have elements of that.

BrianDavion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #737 on: 06 February 2022, 00:19:56 »
I appreciate the Tamar AMA mentioning Jiyi was written as a clan Grayson Carlyle. The battle against the hells horses does have elements of that.

speaking of the AMA for those of us who don't enjoy videos is there a transcript anywhere?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #738 on: 06 February 2022, 00:39:58 »
Also speaking of the AMA, it's good to know that Jiyi now has warriors to pilot all those 'Mechs Sudeten produces.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #739 on: 06 February 2022, 00:43:40 »
this is a wise logistical policy as sudeten basically poops mechs

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #740 on: 06 February 2022, 01:08:11 »
Right on.

So much for the peeps who call The Hinterlands "Chaos March 2.0".  The Lyrans may be a Great House, but they won't be taking back their former worlds in a few years, or ten years, or even fifty.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #741 on: 06 February 2022, 01:23:00 »
As Cubby said, the goal was to leave things open ended and set up story potential.  The Chaos March sourcebook did that, but then most of that potential was flat out ignored.  FASA’s authors never really did anything with the proto-states there, and FanPro resolved a lot of their fates with just a line or two in a Field Manual.  Arguably, the video games did the most, delving into Liberty, the Styk Commonality, and Saiph Triumvirate.

I can guarantee, each of these new states will get far more narrative attention.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

BrianDavion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #742 on: 06 February 2022, 03:44:42 »
As Cubby said, the goal was to leave things open ended and set up story potential.  The Chaos March sourcebook did that, but then most of that potential was flat out ignored.  FASA’s authors never really did anything with the proto-states there, and FanPro resolved a lot of their fates with just a line or two in a Field Manual.  Arguably, the video games did the most, delving into Liberty, the Styk Commonality, and Saiph Triumvirate.

I can guarantee, each of these new states will get far more narrative attention.

yeah the chaos march never made much sense to me TBH. because there was no reason for that wide swath of worlds to just be... abandoned. the hinterlands gives some nicely thought out reasons for it. and while I would have liked to see the LC relciam a few more worlds, I at least understood WHY it didn't happen. with the chaos march meanwhile I STILL can't fathom why the 5 great houses didn't just roll up and reclaim them.

Gorgon

• Sergeant
« Reply #743 on: 06 February 2022, 05:42:44 »
My thoughts exactly. The original Chaos March never made much sense to me the way it was set up, but as with most things, the Chaos March IIC is just betterstrongerharderfaster.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #744 on: 06 February 2022, 05:58:19 »
My thoughts exactly. The original Chaos March never made much sense to me the way it was set up, but as with most things, the Chaos March IIC is just betterstrongerharderfaster.

My hope is that if the Brush Wars series takes off, I can use it to craft a coherent narrative (drawing together all the little tidbits scattered throughout FASA and FanPro source material) of the entire Chaos March decade, telling the full stories of each faction.

Finally, the story of the Duchy of Small the fans have been clamoring for can be told.  :D
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

BrianDavion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #745 on: 06 February 2022, 06:21:01 »
My hope is that if the Brush Wars series takes off, I can use it to craft a coherent narrative (drawing together all the little tidbits scattered throughout FASA and FanPro source material) of the entire Chaos March decade, telling the full stories of each faction.

Finally, the story of the Duchy of Small the fans have been clamoring for can be told.  :D

I dunno the problem with that is you'd have to rationalize the sheer stupidity of some of the factions in Battletech Just explaining why the FedCom, didn't move any of their hundred odd RCTs into the chaos march would proably give you a headache.

nova_dew

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #746 on: 06 February 2022, 08:45:48 »
I dunno the problem with that is you'd have to rationalize the sheer stupidity of some of the factions in Battletech Just explaining why the FedCom, didn't move any of their hundred odd RCTs into the chaos march would proably give you a headache.
It was National Tea and Crumpets decade....
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

MDFification

• Sergeant
« Reply #747 on: 06 February 2022, 09:23:15 »

Honestly, to be cynical; why create a massive salient you'll have to defend from everyone else in the sphere, when you can let the League, Combine and Confederation share borders (which they'll inevitably fight wars over) again? Having territory isn't a goal in and of itself - it's what that territory can do for your power and security that matters.

Bringing this back to the Hinterlands - the Lyrans are probably better off for having these breakaway states serving as buffers between and already overextended Commonwealth and a bunch of conquest hungry Clanners. No point in taking territory if you can't hold it, and the Commonwealth is already struggling to keep a grip on what it still has. Better to bide their time and build their strength.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #748 on: 06 February 2022, 11:09:48 »
One thing that I mentioned in the AMA about why the Lyrans haven't reclaimed many worlds is that they don't really have forces in position to do so. Look at the deployment map in FM3145. Much of the Jade Falcon border is guarded by...Clan Wolf-in-Exile. As of 3151, they're gone. The Kell Hounds are gone. The 26th Arcturan Guards are up there, but guess what they did. The Hesperus Guards also went rogue.  Most of the Lyran military is now positioned along the Wolf Empire border, and those troops sandwiched between the Wolf and Falcon territories are in a bad position for offensive operations. Remember, they don't know that the OZs are empty. The Lyrans are not in a position to go adventuring.

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #749 on: 06 February 2022, 11:28:47 »
One thing that I mentioned in the AMA about why the Lyrans haven't reclaimed many worlds is that they don't really have forces in position to do so. Look at the deployment map in FM3145. Much of the Jade Falcon border is guarded by...Clan Wolf-in-Exile. As of 3151, they're gone. The Kell Hounds are gone. The 26th Arcturan Guards are up there, but guess what they did. The Hesperus Guards also went rogue.  Most of the Lyran military is now positioned along the Wolf Empire border, and those troops sandwiched between the Wolf and Falcon territories are in a bad position for offensive operations. Remember, they don't know that the OZs are empty. The Lyrans are not in a position to go adventuring.

But WiE left May 3148. That is three years to try and fill a hole.

Register