Register Register

Author Topic: BattleTech: COMMAND, Resurgent Empires: A Succession Wars Game  (Read 4323 times)

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: BattleTech: COMMAND, Resurgent Empires: A Succession Wars Game
« Reply #30 on: 28 April 2022, 19:38:55 »
Nope, no relations whatsoever. Completely separate game.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #31 on: 28 April 2022, 20:52:35 »
honestly, i could see an Axis and Allies style game fighting the succession wars.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 28 April 2022, 21:00:19 »
What was Omega? Never heard of it...

Set of rules made by Randall while still with FASA that was intended to streamline the game.
Was never finished or published, FASA stopped operating BT.
WK had their own streamlined game, so there was never a reason for FanPro or CGL to look in that direction.

The solution is just ignore Paul.

ShroudedSciuridae

• Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 28 April 2022, 21:30:46 »
A couple obvious questions come to mind.

Boxset?

What level of zoom out will we have here? Similar to BattleForce (Unit=Lance), Strategic BattleForce (Unit=Company), or Inner Sphere at War (Unit=Regiment)?

How will this interact with the new IO:BF?

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #34 on: 28 April 2022, 23:49:14 »
How will this interact with the new IO:BF?
No relation whatsoever. Completely separate game.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

HeavyArmorMecha

• Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: 29 April 2022, 00:25:07 »
Just for curiosity's sake...

How many players does these new games have in mind? 2~4 players?

And how long session? 2~4 hours?

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 29 April 2022, 07:22:06 »
honestly, i could see an Axis and Allies style game fighting the succession wars.

Isn’t that basically what Succession Wars was?

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #37 on: 29 April 2022, 07:48:57 »
Isn’t that basically what Succession Wars was?

Succession Wars you fought over many planets.   Axis and Allies is just over one planet.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 29 April 2022, 08:05:42 »
Succession Wars you fought over many planets.   Axis and Allies is just over one planet.

Thematically, sure, but you could replace the background art with a picture of a planet and the jump ship counters with dropship counters and arrive pretty quickly at the same game with different trappings.

Succession Wars wasn’t exactly the same as Axis & Allies, but it filled a similar niche and had some definite similarities.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #39 on: 02 May 2022, 06:58:55 »
Has there been announcement what Battletech: COMMAND is side from a board game?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 02 May 2022, 08:18:09 »
Has there been announcement what Battletech: COMMAND is side from a board game?

No, most of the responses have been what it's not.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #41 on: 02 May 2022, 08:32:55 »
an axis and allies style game though for BT would have the IS divided into the various sub-divisions of each successor state, and you are not fighting over individual worlds but rather doing a "grand view" of multi-planet campaigns. so for example, the federated suns would be divided into the Crucis march, Capellan march, Draconis march, and Outback, each divided into their respective operational sub-divisions. and gameplay would be using economy points to buy regiments of mechs, vees, and fighters (1 regiment = 1 counter on the map) which you'd then move around the territories's to garrison them, or use to invade an enemy territory and fight the defenders of that territory. with the different type of regiment involved giving different combat ability in the combat resolution stage. once your enemy's units are defeated, you get to claim that whole territory. each turn would basically represent several months of fighting.

the main diffeence between this approach and the successin wars game would be level fo detail.. you aren't tracking specific planets, not figuring economy based on specific factories, etc. nor are you tracking stuff like numbers and placement of jumpships and dropships, etc. it would be more simplified.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2022, 12:14:48 by glitterboy2098 »

butchbird

• Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #42 on: 02 May 2022, 18:39:21 »
The way the they did it with the old version was quite good.

Instead of going for whole marches, the "provinces" were divided more along the size of the FWL provinces.

For unit counters, brigades were divided between units of a strength from 1 to 10 (so 1 to 10 battalions, sometimes adjusted for whatever reason). Hence you'd have something like 5 counters of 8 stregth Lyran Regulars and 1 counter of 2 stregth for the 15th Drakon. The combat system took this into account and was quite built on the concept of keeping your brigades grouped.

Fighting over one plante would be more like the old planetary assault rules in battleforce 2 (I guess it's been updated in interstellar operations or something). I feel like repeating myself, making a self-contained board game based on the planetary assault rules could be real nice, and while the CCG is indeed somehwat more plausible, I'm still hoping Battletech:command is more of a self contained planetary assault.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 02 May 2022, 21:50:08 »
The way the they did it with the old version was quite good.

Instead of going for whole marches, the "provinces" were divided more along the size of the FWL provinces.

For unit counters, brigades were divided between units of a strength from 1 to 10 (so 1 to 10 battalions, sometimes adjusted for whatever reason). Hence you'd have something like 5 counters of 8 stregth Lyran Regulars and 1 counter of 2 stregth for the 15th Drakon. The combat system took this into account and was quite built on the concept of keeping your brigades grouped.

Fighting over one plante would be more like the old planetary assault rules in battleforce 2 (I guess it's been updated in interstellar operations or something). I feel like repeating myself, making a self-contained board game based on the planetary assault rules could be real nice, and while the CCG is indeed somehwat more plausible, I'm still hoping Battletech:command is more of a self contained planetary assault.

I always read the strength of each unit as a quality rating more than a statement of numerical strength, but I could be wrong.

I am also hoping COMMAND has a more contained design. Planetary assault would work, but other themes could also be good.

butchbird

• Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #44 on: 03 May 2022, 20:23:49 »
Well, as I built my own "succession wars board game" long ago (color pencils and 1$ big friggin' sheets of thin cardboard for the win!), I went through the whole order of battle (ah college, so little money, but so much free time) and if I remember correctly (I think I do, but I might have toyed with the values and remember those instead, but I'm pretty sure I didn't) the math fit, each army was roughly the amount of strength points as the number of battalions they were fluffed to have. But yeah, quality did seem to have an effet, but not a major one and not in every case.

Also, I dunno if planetary assault itself would be a good product, s'pecially for new players,  as a boxed boardgame, but something derived from it could be awesome. The framework is good and keeps the battletech feel at that scale of strategy. Couldn't comment much otherwise as I can't think of similar scaled tabletop games I'd have played (nor video games actually...concentrating on just one planet in a interstellar universe isn't very common), but I'd be quite curious of other avenues.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #45 on: 05 May 2022, 05:55:00 »
Something feeding in Facebook with Randal Bills demoing BattleTech Command.  It looks like it's certainly board game with plastic figures.  It looks like troop movement-like game .  There was another game,  Inner Sphere Resurrent or something, looks like Succession Wars or variant of such.  I don't have pictures, I'm not on facebook. Friend showed me.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: 25 May 2022, 04:40:17 »
Really excited for this one, I can't get my boardgame friends to play Battletech with me, so  this might be enough to get them over the hump (and let me geek out over the universe and mechs lol)

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 25 May 2022, 09:55:51 »
My brother in law is a boardgame savant, so I'm looking forward to getting this and see if he is more interested.  He just isn't into AlphaStrike/Btech, sadly.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #48 on: 26 May 2022, 06:27:26 »
Something feeding in Facebook with Randal Bills demoing BattleTech Command.  It looks like it's certainly board game with plastic figures.  It looks like troop movement-like game

Like a BattleTech themed Risk? (I don't know what a troop movement-like game is.)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Padraig Tseng

• Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 28 May 2022, 22:20:20 »
The picture I saw made me think of Stratego
So the Ghost Bear says "Tell me the truth, you don't come here for the hunting, do you?"

Daritus1988

• Sergeant

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #51 on: 29 May 2022, 06:08:21 »
HPG-Station has some pictures:

https://hpgstation.de/2022/05/02/battletech-command/

Wait, what's that 28mm Marauder? Is that a thing that'll get sold too?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #52 on: 29 May 2022, 06:18:24 »
Wait, what's that 28mm Marauder? Is that a thing that'll get sold too?

No, it will not be sold.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #53 on: 31 May 2022, 09:49:46 »
Burn city.  That 28mm marauder would have been nice.

Contingency

• Recruit
« Reply #54 on: 16 June 2022, 08:22:19 »
Battletech: Command is showing up for preorder with retailers: https://www.gamenerdz.com/battletech-command-preorder
MSRP is 50 USD. If anyone like me vaguely remembers this being discussed earlier and is curious about the product, please see the following linked post:
HPG-Station has some pictures:

https://hpgstation.de/2022/05/02/battletech-command/

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 16 June 2022, 14:05:50 »
Looks interesting, can think of some people I can try it out on who I haven't been able to get into Battletech.

Also shame about the 28mm Marauder not being a sales thing, but I seem to remember there being larger scale figures displayed on here previously that weren't for sale, which is a shame as i really wanted the Thunderbolt.