Register Register

Author Topic: Civilian Minimum safe distance for dropship landings.  (Read 2098 times)

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
Re: Civilian Minimum safe distance for dropship landings.
« Reply #30 on: 02 March 2021, 09:56:35 »
Somehow, I can picture a commercial dropship landing pad as a massively armored ring surrounding a deep hole in the ground, leading to a series of tunnels below, with filters and baffles to divert, detoxify, and disperse the lethal stream of hydrogen and various toxic by-products emitted from the fusion engines.  The perimeter of the landing area would almost certainly have shielding walls to significantly reduce any direct radiation emissions or other high-speed particles from affecting nearby areas, such as a city located a mere 10 miles from the spaceport.

Landing in the field means vaporizing and sterilizing everything for a mile or more around, and doing extensive damage for miles beyond that.  No need to clear the immediate area around the LZ, it's already QUITE clear for the next few minutes at the very least; then again, you don't dare exit the dropship until the searing heat and toxic gasses have dispersed a bit.  This has a VERY significant impact on the other thread about hiding a dropship.....the searchers just have to look for the massive burn mark and/or fires covering several square miles, and possibly even visible with the old Mark I visual sensors (eyeballs) from low orbit.

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 02 March 2021, 10:12:18 »
Somehow, I can picture a commercial dropship landing pad as a massively armored ring surrounding a deep hole in the ground, leading to a series of tunnels below, with filters and baffles to divert, detoxify, and disperse the lethal stream of hydrogen and various toxic by-products emitted from the fusion engines.  The perimeter of the landing area would almost certainly have shielding walls to significantly reduce any direct radiation emissions or other high-speed particles from affecting nearby areas, such as a city located a mere 10 miles from the spaceport.

Landing in the field means vaporizing and sterilizing everything for a mile or more around, and doing extensive damage for miles beyond that.  No need to clear the immediate area around the LZ, it's already QUITE clear for the next few minutes at the very least; then again, you don't dare exit the dropship until the searing heat and toxic gasses have dispersed a bit.  This has a VERY significant impact on the other thread about hiding a dropship.....the searchers just have to look for the massive burn mark and/or fires covering several square miles, and possibly even visible with the old Mark I visual sensors (eyeballs) from low orbit.

That said, we don't really get that in the fiction. I mean landing and takeoff is impressive, but nowhere do we get any sort of mile-wide scorch pattern. Think of all the times a dropship has lifted off under fire. Given BattleTech ranges, they have to be within, say, 600-700m to be hitting the thing, so in theory, they would all be incinerated once the ship took off, but we never really hear much worry of getting caught in the backwash.

And then there are forces deploying via hover-drop. I don't think a precise altitude is given for this, but it's pretty low, since it doesn't use drop pods or anything similar.
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #32 on: 02 March 2021, 10:53:13 »
At the moment, I can't think of one sci-fi vehicle that doesn't have a very narrow and forgiving blast radius.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #33 on: 02 March 2021, 19:52:02 »
In one of his other universes (Hammer's Slammers for this one), Drake postulated a landing field that basically used a tidal pool to absorb the worst of the plasma and radiation.  Personally (as a Naval officer), I found it amusing that launching and landing STILL depended on the tides...  ^-^