Register Register

Author Topic: Talk to me about the Blackhearts  (Read 3589 times)

Cowdragon

• Captain
  • PM me for Ft. Collins CO battletech games
Talk to me about the Blackhearts
« on: 30 August 2012, 13:24:37 »
I found references to them reading up on the Nighthawk PA(L) suits. Found out that at least one left with the Clans and became a loremaster of Clan Jade Falcons, but that there were also some mercs called the Blackhearts as well. Same origins?

On wings of steel, Come I, Pillars of flame
Mark me, Fury bright as suns, Foes fear
The star back road, I hunt, Blood geld payment
Shan't be, The ravens throne, Blod Orn
- vidar (thank you vidar!!!)
Pie or Spehs and Tanks also BA

Archangel

• Major
Re: Talk to me about the Blackhearts
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2012, 13:40:06 »
I found references to them reading up on the Nighthawk PA(L) suits. Found out that at least one left with the Clans and became a loremaster of Clan Jade Falcons, but that there were also some mercs called the Blackhearts as well. Same origins?

The Special Armed Services, known as the Blackhearts, was an elite force trained in counterespionage and counterterrorism operations.  By 2753, there were about a hundred battalions of active SAS teams.  The Blackhearts mercenary regiment was formed from the 77th SOG, which operated out of the Taurian Concordat.  It wouldn't be surprising for a few to join the Exodus and later join one of Nicholas Kerensky's Clans.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2012, 13:48:23 »
Yes, the mercenary Blackhearts are descended from one of the SLDF's anti-terrorist/spec ops units, the Special Armed Services (or SAS), also known as the Blackhearts.  Lisa Buhallin, the first Jade Falcon Loremaster, previously served in the SAS and was a Blackheart.

You can find links to the relevant canon sources at the wiki:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Blackhearts#cite_note-0

Hope this helps.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2012, 14:29:45 »
Lisa Buhallin, the first Jade Falcon Loremaster, previously served in the SAS and was a Blackheart.

It is "believed" that she was a member of the Blackhearts.  Even the Jade Falcons state that they don't have any evidence to support the belief.  Not that one would be able to find much on a covert operations group.
« Last Edit: 30 August 2012, 14:31:17 by Archangel »

Prydefalcn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 02 September 2012, 00:58:26 »
It is "believed" that she was a member of the Blackhearts.  Even the Jade Falcons state that they don't have any evidence to support the belief.  Not that one would be able to find much on a covert operations group.

The KGC-0000 King Crab entry in TRO3039 that lists her as a notable pilot all but confirms it.
Saunders Von Jankmon/Jeremy Orloff

Cowdragon

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2012, 01:30:09 »
The KGC-0000 King Crab entry in TRO3039 that lists her as a notable pilot all but confirms it.

I didn't catch that one. But I was under the impression they were all pretty much PA(L) suited infantry snipers or something. A King Crab pilot changes that mental image a little! :)

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2012, 03:29:25 »

Actually, the Notable MechWarrior entry literally says "unconfirmed."

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 02 September 2012, 07:26:20 »
I didn't catch that one. But I was under the impression they were all pretty much PA(L) suited infantry snipers or something. A King Crab pilot changes that mental image a little! :)

From what I understand they were mixed Battalions. Probably fairly similar to later era Comstar Level IIIs, Battalion strength Ceti Hussars formations and the like.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 02 September 2012, 11:45:43 »
The Blackhearts main role was counterterrorism and counterintelligence, so probably not much need for a 'Mech in their day to day job. However, like real world spec ops, many of the Blackhearts would no doubt have been cross trained, plus would retain the skills of whichever branch of the military that they'd originally belonged, so at least some of them should have had no problem strapping on a 'Mech if needed.

The SLDF's elite special ops 'Mech unit was the Foul Weather Fiends.

gleamingterrier

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2012, 14:46:15 »
As long as we're talking about the Blackhearts, has anyone noted the connection between Glen Stryker and Damocles? Damocles' actual name is Tempest Stryker, so there's the last name in common. JHS Terra refers to Major Stryker's "lifelong friend" Grevista da Tempestrade, and Grevista is Portugese for 'striker'. Sarna says its an implied sexual relationship, but I think they're related.

Cowdragon

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2012, 15:18:47 »
As long as we're talking about the Blackhearts, has anyone noted the connection between Glen Stryker and Damocles? Damocles' actual name is Tempest Stryker, so there's the last name in common. JHS Terra refers to Major Stryker's "lifelong friend" Grevista da Tempestrade, and Grevista is Portugese for 'striker'. Sarna says its an implied sexual relationship, but I think they're related.

kissing cousins? ;)

Prydefalcn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 05 September 2012, 11:36:26 »
Actually, the Notable MechWarrior entry literally says "unconfirmed."

Hence why I said "all but confirms" :p
It heavily implies. The chances of getting actual confirmation outside of Liberation of Terra vol2 are slim-to-none, but when you see the possibility suggested in every source it becomes a fairly safe assumption.
Saunders Von Jankmon/Jeremy Orloff

John_Hawk

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2012, 19:50:13 »

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just noticed the information about Damocles' identity here and on Sarna.  I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of that revelation?  I'm curious to see what all is out there.

FedComGirl

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 20 September 2012, 04:38:37 »
The Blackheart's also had a custom Wasp LAM variant they could use, so I guess they had access to anything they needed.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2012, 06:47:53 »
Which brings up the question what did the Blackhearts (the mercenary unit) do with the special equipment they inherited from the SLDF?  Besides the custom Wasp LAM variant, they would have deployed Nighthawk Mk I Battle Armor as a SAS unit which would have stood out like a sore thumb but they were able to maintain their cover for over half a century.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 20 September 2012, 06:51:59 »
They probably didn't have much of it left when they went Merc, at least after the various conflicts... and it was hold their cover for like 2 centuries.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 20 September 2012, 09:49:01 »
Assuming they had the suits. Its possible that not all Blackheart units were equipped the same way.

Cowdragon

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 24 September 2012, 05:08:52 »
Assuming they had the suits. Its possible that not all Blackheart units were equipped the same way.

this is pretty likely.