Register Register

Author Topic: Chaos Campaign Succession Wars and DriveThruRPG  (Read 852 times)

RabidFox

• Private
Chaos Campaign Succession Wars and DriveThruRPG
« on: 09 February 2021, 20:56:15 »
I seemed to recall that the Chaos Campaign Succession Wars product on DriveThruRPG had a print on demand option.  Now, they no longer offer it.  Anyone know what's up?

bearda

• Private
Re: Chaos Campaign Succession Wars and DriveThruRPG
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2021, 19:57:52 »
Print on demand was available in early November when I ordered my copy. No clue why it was removed. It looks like the Wars of Reaving is still available, though.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2021, 09:28:13 »
Probably something you should ask DTRPG.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2021, 09:32:52 »
Perhaps. There was a mass outage of PoD novels a bit ago on Amazon that CGL had to intervene on

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2021, 10:58:26 »
Perhaps. There was a mass outage of PoD novels a bit ago on Amazon that CGL had to intervene on

Ah. But even so, shouldn't DTRPG still be contacted to find out what happened?

And to the OP, I'm really not trying to be a jerk. Nobody here has said anything about the service being down so you may be the lucky finder of a bug in DTRPG. ;)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

RabidFox

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 16 February 2021, 18:53:16 »
Ah. But even so, shouldn't DTRPG still be contacted to find out what happened?

And to the OP, I'm really not trying to be a jerk. Nobody here has said anything about the service being down so you may be the lucky finder of a bug in DTRPG. ;)

No offense taken, it's a logical statement to say. :thumbsup:  But I did follow your advice and asked DriveThruRPG.  They responded with:

Unfortunately we do not have much information nor control over which products our publishers will be releasing or when, this includes in what format they are made available.  Your note has been passed along to our publisher relations folks so they can take it to the publisher that they may be alerted to the interest in this product.  We appreciate your help in helping improve our site.

We'll see if it get added back to the site.  Guess it's up to CGL now?

Cubby

• Battletech Developer
  • Captain
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2021, 16:50:37 »
We'll see if it get added back to the site.  Guess it's up to CGL now?

I passed this along to Ray, and he did some checking.

The short version is: we hope that both of these products will be available again in POD soon.

The issue is that the company which produces POD products for DTRPG has decided to no longer do saddle-stitch (stapled) binding for any product, in favor of perfect (glued/squared) binding. Some products are thick enough to make this transition easily, some less so. Any previously-saddle-stitched products were pulled for sale while they figure out which ones can be done in perfect binding, or which will have problems.

We're on it, but it's really a wait-to-hear mode right now until they figure out what works. The next thinner POD product was intended to be Era Digest: Dark Age, to go alongside TRO Irregulars; that appears to be moving forward.

(And before someone asks: both ED:DA and TRO Irregulars are very close. Ray is waiting to receive proofs to approve, and then we're good to go.)
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2021, 19:56:00 »
Wait a second... there's a FLOOR for page count now?  That sounds promising...  :)

RabidFox

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2021, 10:58:52 »

The short version is: we hope that both of these products will be available again in POD soon.

The issue is that the company which produces POD products for DTRPG has decided to no longer do saddle-stitch (stapled) binding for any product, in favor of perfect (glued/squared) binding. Some products are thick enough to make this transition easily, some less so. Any previously-saddle-stitched products were pulled for sale while they figure out which ones can be done in perfect binding, or which will have problems.

We're on it, but it's really a wait-to-hear mode right now until they figure out what works. The next thinner POD product was intended to be Era Digest: Dark Age, to go alongside TRO Irregulars; that appears to be moving forward.

(And before someone asks: both ED:DA and TRO Irregulars are very close. Ray is waiting to receive proofs to approve, and then we're good to go.)

Thank you for following up!  It's great to hear more products being available to POD. :rockon:

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2021, 11:06:06 »
there were some others planned as well but went MIA in the kickstarter / Hour of the Wolf shuffle. unsure if they've been pushed off until later or permanently shelved

Historical: Brush Wars (rebranded as Brush Wars v1)
Historical: Wars of the Republic Era (rebranded as Brush Wars v2)
Historical: Operation Klondike (now Operation Klondike)

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2021, 18:56:24 »
When you say "rebranded", does that imply no editing has been done?

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2021, 19:02:35 »
your guess is as good as mine. all i know is that they planned to change the titles

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2021, 20:49:50 »
Hopefully we'll at least see the errata entered!  :)

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 18 February 2021, 20:56:11 »
I would imagine that much would be done yeah

Can anyone confirm if it was done for wars of reaving or the succession wars volumes?

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 18 February 2021, 20:56:39 »
Cool, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Karasu

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 19 February 2021, 05:36:32 »
Wait a second... there's a FLOOR for page count now?  That sounds promising...  :)
Well, it might mean that some thigns which were going to get PoD releases now won't, so I wouldn't necesarilly call it promising.

idea weenie

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 19 February 2021, 06:11:45 »

Time for fun with the purchase database, where a script is run to identify which products are often bought together and bundle those into products that are large enough for PoD.

For example, instead of seven books for the Grey Death story, you might have:
Book 1: Decision at Thunder Rift, Mercenary's Star, Price of Glory
Book 2: Blood of Heroes, Tactics of Duty, Operation Excalibur, The Dying Time

Add some extra details in between the books, so people can easily thumb through it and spot the break points.

This might have to collate data from both the Catalyst store page and the Drivethrurpg page, to make sure as much data is gathered.  One request is that any books that are selected for PoD have up-to-date errata taken care of, so people don't purchase the book then immediately have to correct issues in it.

The real fun might be a PoD setup on the Catalyst store page where the customer selects a custom set of books to be printed together as a single book.  So one person might want to put all XTRO Primitives books into a single PoD physical item, someone else might prefer to purchase the Davion and Kurita books only because they have a plan for a war and flipping between multiple books won't be fun, a third person might want to put together the Periphery/Pirate/Corporate books, aso.

Each book adds to the page count, and once there are enough pages for a single PoD book the customer is notified.  This way a customer might purchase one book that is already big enough for PoD normally, but then add a second book that is too small for PoD, and bundle them together as a single book.  There would also likely be another alert so the customer doesn't try to order all the BT books into a single PoD book.

The fun part is how to price this.  Off-hand, it would be as follows:
1) Customer purchases PDFs from the Catalyst store as normal, and they are put into that customer's record, so the customer can download them later
2) Customer wants to make a PoD.  Customer logs in to their account, and selects the PoD option.  Customer then selects which PDFs are to be put into a single PoD.  When that PoD is good, the customer adds that PoD to their cart, and can choose to make another PoD.  Once all the PoD are set up, the customer makes the purchase.  CGL takes a small fee for the file organization and concatenation, then passes along the PDFs, shipping address, and payment for the PoD books to the PoD vendor

So if you as a customer wanted to order some PDFs and get them as PoD it would take two purchases.  The first is to buy the PDFs, which adds them to your Catalyst account.  The second purchase would be to select the PDFs you want in the PoD books, and purchase those.

I'm not sure how CGL would handle purchases made at non-CGL web sites.  Hopefully it would just be a verification/transfer (so if someone purchased the Tactical Operations Book on Drivethrurpg it would be added to their CGL account), but it might not.
« Last Edit: 19 February 2021, 06:30:06 by idea weenie »

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
    • My Author Website
« Reply #17 on: 19 February 2021, 07:02:14 »
None of those idea is in any way possible with how PoD works.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #18 on: 19 February 2021, 09:32:42 »
I would imagine that much would be done yeah

Can anyone confirm if it was done for wars of reaving or the succession wars volumes?

I think at least some of the errata got folded in for Wars of Reaving.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Adrian Gideon

• Battletech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #19 on: 19 February 2021, 12:47:04 »
Updated with errata.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Cubby

• Battletech Developer
  • Captain
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #20 on: 19 February 2021, 14:52:50 »
I think at least some of the errata got folded in for Wars of Reaving.

It did. The intent is to include all errata possible--that's part of the time it takes to prep these books for POD.

Historical: Brush Wars (rebranded as Brush Wars v1)
Historical: Wars of the Republic Era (rebranded as Brush Wars v2)
Historical: Operation Klondike (now Operation Klondike)

It means that we're dropping the "Historical" tag from the title.

Klondike will be coming out soon-ish, in conjunction with another upcoming release. Brush Wars 1 and 2 will be tied to the launch of the Brush Wars POD series; we've just turned over those products to new developers this week, so progress on those should resume soon.

Time for fun with the purchase database, where a script is run to identify which products are often bought together and bundle those into products that are large enough for PoD.
<snip>

It's a fun idea, but not possible. There are a number of issues with what you lay out here, first and foremost that POD novels are done by Amazon, POD sourcebooks are done by DTRPG, the CGL store does not currently offer native POD ordering, and none of the three systems talk to each other.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 19 February 2021, 21:45:33 »
Updated with errata.
Huzzah for errata inclusion!  Thank you, gentlemen!  :thumbsup:

Register