Register Register

Author Topic: Clan Invasion Salvage 'Mechs  (Read 1999 times)

Deathknight69

• Lieutenant
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
Clan Invasion Salvage 'Mechs
« on: 06 August 2022, 23:29:30 »
Hey gang, I'm curious as to the success of pulls regarding the C.I.S. 'Mechs. Have people gotten lucky and pulled the entire set - as money allows. Do we know for sure that all 93 (I think I heard that number months ago) have been pulled ??
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
Re: Clan Invasion Salvage 'Mechs
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2022, 04:54:18 »
if you want the fulls et you're better off buying the mech packs

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2022, 06:03:23 »
The salvage mechs are a good idea but the lance/Star/Level II packs are a better deal and you get what you want instead of mystery box mech!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

500 is the number of Warships just passed the 567
 Battlemechs I now own.

ProfessorMRB

• Private
  • Not that kind of Doctor
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2022, 13:06:44 »
So far I've found these really fun and, even more surprisingly, I haven't gotten any doubles yet. The boxes I've opened did seem Clan-heavy. I've opened:

Clan:
Turkina
Grendel
Incubus
Piranha
Conjurer
Horned Owl
Storm Crow
Dragonfly
Mad Dog
Gargoyle

IS:
Wolfhound
Archer
Warhammer
Stinger
Phoenix Hawk

Comstar/Star League:
Sentinel

Overall they're awesome, and I would certainly buy more if they were more easily available for impulse-purchasing. Many of the B&N near me carry them but they're all out of stock at the moment, as are my two FLGSs, and I had the issue that others have mentioned where when I ordered some directly from CGL I ended up with 4/5 of the Clan Striker Star which, hey, those are cool mechs and TRO 3055 is one of my favorite Battletech sourcebooks, but there's cheaper options to get that set and I was really hoping for more Inner Sphere mechs I don't have, or don't have enough of (Unseen resculpts, ubiquitous IS staples, and Star-League era mechs).

I have two ideas I'd like to float:

1) I would absolutely LOVE to see this line get split into three and sold as Succession Wars Salvage, Clan Invasion Salvage, and Star League Salvage (and maybe eventually Mercenaries' Salvage). This would still maintain the thrill of the random pull, limit SKUs, and partly ensure that if you're "hoping with dollars" for one general type of unit you're not pulling units you won't use at $7-8 a pop (or worse, that someone else really wanted but instead got what you were hoping for); hence idea 2-

2) I would also love to see an officially supported way of trading miniatures (ebay is a hateful cesspool of abject greed, Facebook/Reddit trade groups seem vaguely sketch/unapproachable, and I'm hesitant to pull out a carton of unpainted minis still in their boxes and say "anyone want to trade?" while playing at my FLGSs). If the CGL demo folks could dream up some sort of Mech Hangar event explicitly for that purpose to trade them at FLGS with pre-arranged permission from the owners (or if that isn't kosher at a neutral playing location like a library or something) that would be awesome and more in line with blind box/blind pull collectibles trading of other franchises.
What stands in the way, becomes the way.

Failure16

• Lieutenant
  • Better Days
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2022, 18:26:09 »
I think what is really being asked is "Is there confirmation that the customer-base has gotten at least one example from a Salvage Box of all 93 extant-designs?"

I got a few and seemed to luck out with Marauders, an Archer, a Clan design etc. But I only bought three from the CGL Store just because. Nothing 'esoteric' like Bugs, or anything.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth, 
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.
When I needed something good.                                            One day we'll reveal the truth,
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.        That one will die before he gets there.

But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

ProfessorMRB

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2022, 18:52:08 »
I think what is really being asked is "Is there confirmation that the customer-base has gotten at least one example from a Salvage Box of all 93 extant-designs?"

I'd guess the best we can do is post our lists. I'd have more if there were more to get "in the wild" from half-empty cartons and so on. They're objectively super fun, just I'm leery of ordering more directly from CGL just because I don't want to chance getting not-very-randomized ForcePacks, or 3:1 ratios of Clanners. I've read elsewhere that Shilone and Urbanmech aren't available in the CI Salvage boxes and come to think of it I haven't seen anyone post videos of unboxing Griffins or AGoAC mechs (although I'd love more of those, too).

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2022, 20:11:05 »
So far I've had fantastic luck with the Clan Invasion Salvage Mechs .

I don't think I've had a duplicate yet and I've bought at least 30 of them here and there .

My best story so far : While shopping for Father's day I stopped at Barnes and Nobles
to pick up a big print hardback for my dad . My 9 year old son was along for the trip.
I stopped by the gaming area just to check up on what they had and they had some
Clan Invasion Salvage boxes . ( They're usually wiped out quickly so it's a rare sight)

I said " Hey look at that ! Those aren't in very much " .
My son says " you should get one ."
I said " Well ,we were here for grandpa today so I'll wait ."
Son says "I want to get one for you for daddy's  day."
He grabs one and says " This one feels heavier-so I want to get it for you . Don't open it until
it's dad's day though ."
I said "OK."

It wound up being a Marauder MAD-3R . ( See my  icon for reference)

It's now a MAD-3D and my 3025 era command mech .

1 mech of 93 and somehow he pulled that one !
Sure I bought some command lance packs but this Mechs special .
« Last Edit: 14 August 2022, 20:14:07 by House Davie Merc »

ProfessorMRB

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 15 August 2022, 14:06:00 »

Son says "I want to get one for you for daddy's  day."
He grabs one and says " This one feels heavier-so I want to get it for you . Don't open it until
it's dad's day though ."
I said "OK."

It wound up being a Marauder MAD-3R.

Oh man, that is outstanding! I have a teenage son who just got into the game. He's the kind of kid where if I try to teach him something it's immediately uncool and he wants to do something else, but if someone else teaches him, it's like instant-favorite new thing. I was thrilled when the owner of a FLGS did a beginner tutorial with him, and from then on it's been a thing we both love. One of the most fun things we did was scour the local Barnes and Nobles for Salvage boxes and open them together. The first one he got was an ARC-2R Archer and he looked over at me like "is this a good one?" And I was like "I will spend the entire rest of the day explaining to you how awesome that Mech is, like the 15-year old I now realize I still am inside."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #8 on: 15 August 2022, 14:36:26 »
Yeah, my kiddo picked two without trying to sort through the boxes.  He got a Crab and Piranha while I ended up with a new Thug- pretty happy on that pick.  The ones I got from my FLGS were IS IIRC, the standout was a Nightstar.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 15 August 2022, 16:15:56 »
Just picked up a Guillotine as my random pull from B&N while getting a gift certificate for my daughter.  Not too shabby!

Deathknight69

• Lieutenant
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #10 on: 18 August 2022, 03:07:19 »
That's what I like to hear !! I should've made it clear in the first post. I'm more curious as to the luck of others.
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

Prospernia

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 18 August 2022, 22:38:46 »
I really tried to paint, but I'm happy with my box of Reinforcements!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 18 August 2022, 23:50:00 »
Over a period of two weeks I went and bought most of a case of salvage boxes.

Fire Moth
Stinger
Warhawk
Cougar
Crusader
Valkyrie
Nova Cat

4 Clan/3 IS
4L/0M/2H/1A

Not particularly thrilled on any of the pulls other than the Nova Cat. I doubled up on the Warhawk pack earlier for a second, combined with it coming out in the AS box I’m no longer in need of it.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

ProfessorMRB

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 19 August 2022, 01:10:26 »
Not particularly thrilled on any of the pulls other than the Nova Cat. I doubled up on the Warhawk pack earlier for a second, combined with it coming out in the AS box I’m no longer in need of it.

This is why we need an official way to trade them. It seems like the sort of thing they were meant for, but there's no obvious or convenient way to do it as far as I can tell.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • I can and I will make you use a Garm
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2022, 01:18:00 »
go to the facebook battletech trade and sell group. CGL rightly does not want to be host to scamming. obviously most people won't act in bad faith, but exposing one's self to legal jeopardy doesn't take a ton of abuse.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #15 on: 19 August 2022, 07:02:45 »
Yeah, as I recall there used to be a buy, sell and trade subforum on here and a few people got scammed, FanPro decided it wasn't worth the hassle, and it got shut down.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 19 August 2022, 10:10:02 »
go to the facebook battletech trade and sell group. CGL rightly does not want to be host to scamming. obviously most people won't act in bad faith, but exposing one's self to legal jeopardy doesn't take a ton of abuse.

I'm going to also suggest the Battletech trade group on Facebook.  I've done a good amount of buying and trading on there and never had any problems.

ProfessorMRB

• Private
« Reply #17 on: 19 August 2022, 10:42:42 »
Yeah, as I recall there used to be a buy, sell and trade subforum on here and a few people got scammed, FanPro decided it wasn't worth the hassle, and it got shut down.

All the more reason to come up with a creative solution, especially for new players and preferably in person rather than online. Our player base is known for being warm and welcoming and a breath of fresh air compared to other hostile or toxic fandoms, and this is very much the case for in-person play. But when you go searching online for product though, the impression is more like "RARE! Marauder from Command Lance with card, $50 plus $12.95 shipping. LAST ONE! (User Tragedy_of_the_Commons has sold 85 of these)." There has to be some relatively simple way to open and trade these under the flag of the franchise; MTG has been doing it for decades and this is implicitly that sort of product. I'm thinking trade-specific Mech Hangar events themed around acquiring new mechs, blind box draft games where trading is allowed before or after play starts, Agent games where minis are the prizes for various achievements, etc. The bottom line is I want to buy more of these things and I want to collect them in that spirit, which means from a business standpoint the product has me right where the franchise wants me, as a consumer; it just isn't fully doing yet what products like this are meant to do, and the current situation is teetering on that razor's edge between fun and a turn-off. The long-time die-hard Battletech fan in me sincerely hopes that changes before new players lose interest. It wouldn't take much.

I'm going to also suggest the Battletech trade group on Facebook.  I've done a good amount of buying and trading on there and never had any problems.

That's encouraging to hear; I guess I'll check it out!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #18 on: 19 August 2022, 10:55:27 »
Agent games where minis are the prizes for various achievements, etc.

This is up to the Demo Agent/Location afaik . . . the last several state conventions where I live, the CamoSpecs quality painters in the area have painted donated mechs to give out as prizes.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

pasterzop

• Recruit
« Reply #19 on: 27 September 2022, 04:45:09 »
I would absolutely LOVE to see this line get split into three and sold as Succession Wars Salvage, Clan Invasion Salvage, and Star League Salvage

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 27 September 2022, 11:00:22 »
Dropped by the Barnes and Noble near my sister's place and bought 8 boxes.  Ended up with a Marauder II, Atlas, Orion, Crusader, Warhawk, Battlecobra, Black Lanner and a Hankyu. 

The IS pulls were mainly dupes, but not unwelcome ones, however as I didn't purchase many of the clan packs originally, the clan mechs are all new to me.

This is my 3rd batch purchase of the boxes, with 2 previous 9 pack buys in the the past for disclosures sake. 

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 27 September 2022, 23:32:22 »
I got really lucky once - I found salvage packs at my local Barnes and Noble and bought a couple.  That was months ago; I haven't seen any since then.

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 28 September 2022, 07:31:40 »
I have purchased 6 so far and pulled Viper, Howler, Stone Rhino, Hunchback, Thug and Crab.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #23 on: 29 September 2022, 12:06:01 »
I've been here on the "Official" Forums since around 2001, when it was "CBT.Com".  When "Moderation" applied MUCH more to how one should drink rather than policing the forums.  ;D   Seriously, the "Wild West" made the CBT Forums look tame by comparison.   :-\  But anyway, I don't recall even then seeing any sort of "Trade & Sell" Section on the Forums.  I had to build up MY mini collection via eBay, or the T&S Section of Lords of the Battlefield (LotB) or BattleTech Universe (BTU), because doing that wasn't allowed here.

Now Granted, back when CBT got hacked back around 2001/2002 (which forced me to find BTU and LotB to begin with!), they were down so long that once I found the other 2 sites I spent MUCH more of my time there than at CBT.  Because both sites were MUCH Friendlier than CBT was.  But Maybe, in the brief time after CBT came back, and I started coming back more regularly, they tried a T&S Section?   ???
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Hammerhead

• Corporal
  • "ZEUS - Lyran Recon since 2787."
« Reply #24 on: 02 October 2022, 10:52:23 »
My lads have done the Salvage boxes with some money they’d saved up. One got a Rifleman and a Viper. The other got a Warhammer and a Mongrel. Now they’re trying to decide if they like Clan or IS better.  ;D

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 02 October 2022, 11:07:36 »
My lads have done the Salvage boxes with some money they’d saved up. One got a Rifleman and a Viper. The other got a Warhammer and a Mongrel. Now they’re trying to decide if they like Clan or IS better.  ;D

An important decision in everyone’s young life. I remember making it when it was around 7-8
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Failure16

• Lieutenant
  • Better Days
« Reply #26 on: 02 October 2022, 11:26:07 »
You should never lead young children's decisions in life. But I will.

And the Inner Sphere is the way.

;D
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth, 
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.
When I needed something good.                                            One day we'll reveal the truth,
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.        That one will die before he gets there.

--E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

Sapphirus

• Warrant Officer
  • Stressed out? Here's an image of Kirby sitting :)
« Reply #27 on: 02 October 2022, 15:43:49 »
the Inner Sphere is the way.

;D

Ditto!

Ghaz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 02 October 2022, 17:40:56 »
It looks like it's the perfect place for this...

Failure16

• Lieutenant
  • Better Days
« Reply #29 on: 02 October 2022, 18:30:16 »
Because there can be only one?

I am not a Clan-hater, though, in reality. But I really only do play up until about 3052, and prefer the early 3000s by more than a long shot.

--E. Tonra
--A. Duritz