Register Register

Author Topic: Critical Damage chit - would you use one?  (Read 471 times)

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
Critical Damage chit - would you use one?
« on: 03 August 2022, 01:51:03 »
Maybe you do already.

I made a bunch of chits for Alpha Strike ages for all the different types of critical hits - Fire Control, Movement, etc.

But just had a thought today that maybe a single CRITICAL DAMAGE chit would be better than having multiple ones floating around a mini.

Plus there have been many occassions where both me and my opponent have forgotten about critical damage in friendly and tournament Total Warfare games which couldve affected the outcome of the match (like running with Gyro hits) so it could be useful for that as well.

Whats your opinion? Good idea? Bad? Bit of both?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
Re: Critical Damage chit - would you use one?
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2022, 02:25:47 »
I fail to see how it could ever be a bad thing. The other day we pulled our movement dice for end of round pictures. That’s the only problem I could ever see with them.

If things get crowded place it on the record sheet/AS card.
I mostly do AS so, there is less stuff inbetween taking the crit and when it matters for the next turn. But a reminder never hurts.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2022, 08:34:01 »
It's certainly not a bad thing, but could get cluttered depending on how many chits and/or movement dice you use. We have tried to use chits for TMM, jumping, sprinting etc, but they kind of get forgotten eventually as the game goes on. A cool way to indicate critical damage is to use a flame marker, like the acrylic ones Litko makes.

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2022, 08:47:07 »
I have been looking for a chit that fits on the mini.   Like a small tray with a lip.

A way to visually represent damage, without cluttering the table.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2022, 10:04:58 »
Especially for Alpha Strike, yes.  With so many units on the table, it helps to have a visual indicator around so you don't forget the following turn when damage actually changes the game. 

Last game with Kerfuffin, I started using them for Heat, because I found myself overheating and then forgetting to add to my rolls the following round.  Markers are definitely helpful. 

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2022, 17:01:00 »
I have been looking for a chit that fits on the mini.   Like a small tray with a lip.

A way to visually represent damage, without cluttering the table.

Thats a cool idea actually!

I was also thinking about making one for Heat. I also sometimes forget that my mech has heat problems so a single HEAT chit would be useful for me.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2022, 19:13:29 »
Sounds like it would be easier to keep with the record sheet rather than the mini.  Especially if the sheets were laid down on the gaming table.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Son of Kerenski

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Everything is AWESOME.
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2022, 00:31:11 »
There more for people like me who forget to check the record sheet before movement. As a reminder that I have heat or possibly damage related problems.

For the diligent ones who always check their record sheets before moving the chits would be a redundant thing.