Register Register

Author Topic: GenCon  (Read 7287 times)

General308

• Lieutenant
GenCon
« on: 06 June 2021, 19:32:21 »
I know it is a weird year.  Is Cataylst going to Gencon this year?

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
Stone wasn't cryo frozen. He just got stuck in a freezer Hans Moleman style and we felt bad about it. So we made up this lie.

Tyrant

• Sergeant
Re: GenCon
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2021, 22:24:37 »
For the sake of clarity, does this also mean the Catalyst booth will be set up in the Dealer's Hall?

ShroudedSciuridae

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 11 June 2021, 19:04:17 »
GenCon just announced it's exhibitors, CGL is on the list. Also present is Jennifer Brozek

Tyrant

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 05 September 2021, 21:06:43 »
Do we have any word on what Catalyst will have at their booth this year? I'm guessing that with fulfillment still ongoing there won't be items from the Kickstarter.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2021, 21:09:52 »
Do we have any word on what Catalyst will have at their booth this year? I'm guessing that with fulfillment still ongoing there won't be items from the Kickstarter.

possibly small numbers of Urbies and Legendary packs. iirc someone said they had the Reinforcments pack (the 10 mechs from the first two Catalyst Boxes) last time. probably something like that

Tyrant

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2021, 21:33:41 »
possibly small numbers of Urbies and Legendary packs. iirc someone said they had the Reinforcments pack (the 10 mechs from the first two Catalyst Boxes) last time. probably something like that
Yeah they had the reinforcements sets and then eventually selling them as singles last time. Urbies would be nice.

I didn't know if there had been any kind of statement along the lines of "we are hoping to have x" or "we for sure will not have y", or if we should expect one before the show.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #8 on: 06 September 2021, 06:46:18 »
Whoever's going, please take pics and post them here.
I have spoken.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #9 on: 06 September 2021, 20:34:42 »
In the Non-Covid Past, CGL has ALWAYS been EXTREMELY tight-lipped before GC about "What" they'd have there.   :-\  They Generally only announce 3-4 days before the Con What they "Plan" on having.  It plays on their Philosophy of Not Announcing Things That Won't Be There.  Rather, they announce when there's a 99% Certainty of "Whatever" being finished in time to make it.  I've been going back since GC 2011, and they Usually have everything they'd announced, though sometimes they've had shortages.  (Looking at you, Faction Dice, 2011, 2012, 2013...  :P )

Likewise, a few years back they had FLOWN a couple pallets each of the new AGoAC and Beginner Box Sets.  Of course they sold out quickly, and then the internet was filled with "outrage" by those that were unable to buy one.   ::)  Because they don't care that CGL took a LOSS to have what they had available at the Con.

They've announced they will NOT have KS Merchandise at the Con unless it's already been shipped to Backers.  I think they should have what they can at the Con, regardless.  I'll be getting mine at some point, so if CGL has a chance to make money, I say they should take it.   :thumbsup:

But then it often seems like I'm one of the Few people that actually Supports CGL I guess?   :-\
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 07 September 2021, 07:51:25 »
I think CGL is holding back on selling Kickstarter items before the backers get them because if the warehouse makes a mistake and doesn't have enough to fill the pledges, there will be a supply to make up the difference.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #11 on: 07 September 2021, 22:57:53 »
I think CGL is holding back on selling Kickstarter items before the backers get them because if the warehouse makes a mistake and doesn't have enough to fill the pledges, there will be a supply to make up the difference.

That makes sense, but at the same time, I can't believe they didn't take that into account for the initial Production runs.  I'd Like to believe they factored that in, PLUS had a run for a percentage of items to have for Conventions.  Considering things were "Supposed" to ship back in what, April of this year?   ???  The KS Goodies would've been Shipped to backers, BEFORE Con Season hit. 

But Yes, this is just ME "Guessing" about what CGL Might/Might Not be doing.   ;D

And even if they HAD "Planned" it, there the old maxim.

No Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy!   :o
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Tyrant

• Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2021, 00:28:38 »
I'm assuming that is the case, but I was asking in case there was a pleasant surprise as far as KS stuff. Or maybe something that they were able to get some copies printed up in time like Tamar Rising. Or even just what kind of dice they will have (if any) since they usually have some faction dice.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2021, 19:45:39 »
I wonder if we’ll get a new diorama. We got one last year even with all the disruption.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2021, 11:58:26 »
So I just saw on Facebook, CamoSpecs announced they’ll be putting out ‘a’ diorama video this week. Sweet. I bet it’s battle of terra.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 13 September 2021, 14:39:39 »
Whoever's going, please take pics and post them here.

There are usually a couple of us who try to do that (myself included), but it feels like CGL has also been posting their own stuff to Facebook or Instagram (no account needed to view) more than they used to as well.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 13 September 2021, 15:46:36 »
That makes sense, but at the same time, I can't believe they didn't take that into account for the initial Production runs.  I'd Like to believe they factored that in, PLUS had a run for a percentage of items to have for Conventions.  Considering things were "Supposed" to ship back in what, April of this year?   ???  The KS Goodies would've been Shipped to backers, BEFORE Con Season hit. 

But Yes, this is just ME "Guessing" about what CGL Might/Might Not be doing.   ;D

And even if they HAD "Planned" it, there the old maxim.

No Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy!   :o
A few years ago, CGL got burned on another Kickstarter when their shipper mailed copies of a Shadowrun book to some backers leaving many others without anything.  They felt that it was unreasonable to ask backers to ship the extra book back, so they had to print more copies.  This has probably left them a bit cautious.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #17 on: 13 September 2021, 16:34:56 »
A few years ago, CGL got burned on another Kickstarter when their shipper mailed copies of a Shadowrun book to some backers leaving many others without anything.  They felt that it was unreasonable to ask backers to ship the extra book back, so they had to print more copies.  This has probably left them a bit cautious.

It wasn't a book, it was a full boxed board game! Some people got the core box and not the expansion, and the distributor messed up and reissued the full game and expansion to these people, leaving a massive deficit of stock for backers outside the US, and CGL wound up having to do a full reprint of the limited edition of the box.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #18 on: 14 September 2021, 13:48:48 »
Anyone know if CamoSpecs will be auctioning parts of the diorama again?  I know this year is weird with a video and not in person.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 15 September 2021, 21:27:47 »
Anyone know if CamoSpecs will be auctioning parts of the diorama again?  I know this year is weird with a video and not in person.

I would assume not if they are releasing a video, but I can ask when I get to Indy tomorrow night.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #20 on: 16 September 2021, 06:59:28 »
I remember reading somewhere that Gencon itself didnt want a lot or a least limit of releases and big stuff like that because of the Covid and people worried about that missing out on the con.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

500 is the number of Warships Now. 500 looks like it will stay for a long time.

Tyrant

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 16 September 2021, 07:23:55 »
I remember reading somewhere that Gencon itself didnt want a lot or a least limit of releases and big stuff like that because of the Covid and people worried about that missing out on the con.
Their person on their forums said something to that effect. Basically nothing to cause a big rush. But, I have no idea if that was a suggestion they made or something stronger. Or if it was an idea they were considering then abandoned. Given that Wizkids is there and is selling convention promos, I don't know what to think. Wizkids has been an issue for that very reason in non Covid times.

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #22 on: 16 September 2021, 09:50:26 »
Some minis from the diorama will be up for official auctions post-GenCon.

CDT Special Agent #343

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 16 September 2021, 10:24:49 »
Thanks Dawg!

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #24 on: 16 September 2021, 11:24:49 »

CDT Special Agent #343

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #25 on: 16 September 2021, 12:02:11 »
And someone posted a 15-second look at CGL's Gencon booth....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUf0KvgekXI

Craig
Author -- "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "Snipe Hunt," "Groundpounder," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Color of Authority," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Warrior's Song," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and the Novel, Icons of War.

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 16 September 2021, 12:17:32 »
It would be appreciated if someone could post pictures of the new IWM releases that should be at their booth. :)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #27 on: 16 September 2021, 12:49:09 »
And someone posted a 15-second look at CGL's Gencon booth....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUf0KvgekXI

Craig
Oof, I wish it had been a 30-second look so he didn't have to spin the camera so fast.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

ShroudedSciuridae

• Corporal
« Reply #28 on: 16 September 2021, 13:21:35 »
I see Force Packs at the booth, are they Wave 1 only? I'm going to try to slip in Saturday or Sunday. Any con exclusives this year?

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 16 September 2021, 14:09:47 »
Oof, I wish it had been a 30-second look so he didn't have to spin the camera so fast.

Reduce the playback speed to half and you'll get your 30 second look. :)

Register