Register Register

Author Topic: Hour of the Wolf AMA - did anyone take notes?  (Read 1749 times)

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
    • My Author Website
Hour of the Wolf AMA - did anyone take notes?
« on: 21 February 2021, 10:34:50 »
I missed half the AMA because I had to get up to do real live stuff multiple times during the AMA.
Did anyone take notes yesterday?

Wrangler is am awesome guy and sat down to take notes

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/general-discussion/hour-of-the-wolf-ama-did-anyone-take-notes/msg1699224/#msg1699224
« Last Edit: 22 February 2021, 07:30:43 by DarkISI »
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Hour of the Wolf AMA - did anyone take notes?
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2021, 10:41:03 »
Trying listen, but the sound terrible there was no Close Captions.  I need get on my work computer try re-listen to it. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2021, 10:42:19 »
It's still viewable on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGsZuBB4vvM
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2021, 10:42:53 »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
    • My Author Website
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2021, 10:44:11 »
It's still viewable on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGsZuBB4vvM

I know, but I haven't found time to rewatch it and if someone else took notes, I wouldn't have to ;)

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

bobthecoward

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2021, 10:47:17 »
I know, but I haven't found time to rewatch it and if someone else took notes, I wouldn't have to ;)

Nothing you don't already know on the sourcebook line.

Some interesting stuff about their thinking about the book.

They are excited to tell stories about the Jade falcon OZ fate.

Some fiction things like gdl being reformed.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2021, 10:49:54 »
The big two that stood out for me were CGL are going to be reprinting the Dark Age novels and Mike Stackpole's going to be writing a BattleTech comic script.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2021, 11:15:52 »
Manage get descent computer with headseat.
    - First 15 Minutes
    • Brent Discuss - issues with Covid19 changing in the publishing industry effecting ilClan
    • Blaine Pardoe - Recounts the evolution of the book starting in 2017, 7 rewrites but core story stayed same.  How early novels were tied into the Hour of the Wolf
    • John Helfers - Mentions how IlClan Source book coming out in couple months tentatively after of the Hour of the Wolf.
    • Brent Evens - Describes how the way the overall novella/novel/source book were written completely new way. How fiction drives storyline for ilClan events
    • 3250 teasers question - Ray answers the question  that teasers are canon, he also said that there will be twists and turns to there.

Michael Stackpole was startled to be told he could write as much as he needed to tell the story stood out for me.  Where his books?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2021, 11:28:47 »
Next Section - 15 to 30 minute mark, Fan questions

• Fan Question - Where Amarok Mech came from
  • Fan Question - Where things going after Hour of the Wolf - Time jump wouldn't be happening anytime soon, Upcoming book, what happens the Falcon OZ as example.
  • Fan Question - John Helfers excited about the potential of the stories resulting in the wake of the Hour of the Wolf
  • John Helfers mentions his reluctance to removing factions unless absolute necessary for the overall story.
  • Dynamics of changing of the story with the introduction of new characters and factions evolves.
  • Pardoe describes the handle changes to the universes as Republic of the sphere removal had to be handled careful, while potential stories from former RoTS people
  • Potential for the fallout of the Wolf's Dragoons aiding Clan Wolf to form ilClan.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: 21 February 2021, 12:04:03 »
Stuff that stood out to me.
From 30 minute mark to 1 hour minute mark

• Question - Any chance about reprinting the Era Report books so they fit with current system.  Answer - Completely prints no, tweeks yes.
  • Question - Build up the Kurita or any other factions via RecGuide?  No.
  • Question - Hour of the Wolf suggested new characters coming, any teasers - Phil wrote new novel introducing "Hunting Season", FWL based leading up to Hour of the Wolf (3151), Pardoe writing new New Jade Falcon novel, in the ilClan era with interesting new character.
  • Ray Notes in Legends of the book, characters listed in the ilClan were dropped in as tease that will effect the things to come.
  • Eridani Light Horses have something coming up this year, John is excited about
  • Question - Any aspects of the Hour of the Wolf was missed by the fandom. Pardoe mentions there dozen easter eggs in the book that was missed.
  • John - ilClan is a sourcebook about the campaign
  • Brent mentions moments from Shattered Fortress, why it was vague on purpose.  It was left open the novels potentials it for authors. Battle of Japan noted as potential story to be told later among other things.
  • ilClan Source book will not have large section about about what happened. 
  • Question - Alpha Strike Material coming? It will continue to be supported.
  • Question - What you looking for the IlClan.  Pardoe - Looking forward to it, with new characters, more conflicts in the Inner sphere triggered from it. Phil A. Lee said he been working on since 2013 (early draft).  His stuff, was later adapted for Shattered Fortress. Brent Evens - Says Effects how the Clan effects everyone and them getting Terra.  Not necessary that good. IlClan existence is yet known to the Inner Sphere as whole. HPGs are still down.
  • Question - Dark Age named Shimmer(?)  Introducted long ago (MWDA character), mysterious character. Being questioned while ago, people still debating it but it's still going.
  • Question - Going to Pax this year or any Con? - Only when it's safe to travel.
  • Question - How often should we expect ilClan novels to come Out? Ray - At least once a year
  • Audiobook Question - Trent Sparks(?) (current person doing audio voice) for future books at the moment. Price of Glory is coming out and then new stuff.
  • Hammerhead Mini Question - In plastic coming? Ray, in Metal.  Their waiting for wave 2 of the KS mini
  • How many canon characters?  No way answer at this time.
  • Any plans for online game rpg support - No support officially, but Roll20 would be ideal
  • Why are are so many dead units being brought back - John, Only if makes sense.  Alaric justified resurrecting Clans. Some thing remains dead, unless there viable reason why they came back.  They said not going be a habit. Brent Evens, he says descendants would want to do it but only if makes sense based character or story wise. Pardoe, notes that not all of the units were dead dead. He does any there new units in bound. Only if it makes sense
« Last Edit: 21 February 2021, 13:07:31 by Wrangler »

Adrian Gideon

• Battletech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #10 on: 21 February 2021, 12:09:30 »
John - IlClan source book is combo of source book and campaign itself
ilClan is a sourcebook about the campaign, it’s not a campaign book (like Battle of Tukayyid).
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
    • My Author Website
« Reply #11 on: 21 February 2021, 13:03:11 »
Wow, thank you Wrangler.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 21 February 2021, 13:03:45 »
1st Hour to end. Sorry for any thing i missed.  Had limited time to listen and write down.  On break.  :P

• What was least pleasant part from the Novel - John, Untangling what lead to the current point history. Trying avoid retcon things unless it has to recon.  Brent, Alaric going to Scotland and daring them to come to Highlander.  Pardoe, space battles were challenging to write. Dancing around old rules that were out date. It wasn't fun, but he wanted to do it! Brent Evens, comments space battles rules was headache. John, he was fan for the space. Wanted to do epic space battle. It made things more epic a better story. Pardoe, showcases detail went into how many dropships were needed with alot math. Backing it all up the number. Brent Evens, said he loved the scene that look like shooting stars coming down on Australia, since it was that many dropships of troops coming in.
  • Homeworld Clans - Any chance hear from the future -  Somewhere its far future.  Writers are describing what to do with them. Nothing nailed down when to do one.  John, they will revisit, maybe things on the past.  It will come in the future.
  • Why are they not selling faction cloths (hats etc) - They originally didn't sell well, but now their trying do something in the future. Better quality and not too expensive.  Coleman not fan of hats, so he has to be pursued it will work.
  • Will Dark Age Books get E-Books - YES, working on them right now. All approval MWDA books, new cover art being done.
  • Bill Keith - John, Keith is coming book set in 3025 Era.  Robert Grossman will do sign editions of Jade Phoenix Triology books, but he retired from writing . Gray Death Legion is coming back in the future with new character for the new era playing on conflict with 4 generations later and drama based on that.
  • Question - Will the story stories from the outprint sourcebooks be collected into one anthology type book or be published again - Intriguing but not strong, so it's a Maybe
  • Will Republic specific BattleMechs continue be use - Brent, they will continue.
  • Any related stories on the Bounty Hunter - No specific plans.  Bounty Hunter still in era currently, no big story.
  • When writing books, How new (mech) designs are - Pardoe, the Mech don't drive the story, but their character in story. Pardoe, he got together for Hour of the Wolf with Brent to work things out. Many them ones mentioned are stated out etc.
  • All serious, will be getting new mechs in the post-story ilClan - Ray, Check out RecGuides many new designs are showing up there. There more coming, it's on going.
  • Is technology going to stagnate - No.  (Note, i had no idea what the first part was. NIAS maybe? Is there new future one i think it was asked. It was yes
  • Will there be who & why for the black out - Ray, Maybe. Brent Evens, we have answered the question regarding the blackout in snipbits of course of products released15 years (joking).
  • What status of the minis coming from "Creative Juggernaut"-  Brent Evens, (raises the 1st mini made a Black Knight with sword in hand in the air.) There was a delay, due to moles are degrating....their currently in production.  Expecting it be at CGL to fore-fill their orders.
  • Future Plush toys
  • BattleTech Comic Books - Working on it.  Brent Evens, waiting on Michael Stackpole for the story first then, comic.
  • What was the Solaris Urbie Revolt - Ray, maybe snipbits later. (everyone else were taken back in surprise)
  • Is there parts of the old MWDA novels that were abandoned entirely - (long sighs and laughter).  Pardoe, Jacob Brannson & Anastasia Kerensky who's personality kept flipping it back & forth. Ray, Some plot lines are rough. So their going embrace them despite how rough. John, the Fortress Republic barrier things
  • How was Stone use in Hour of the Wolf - John, some aspects he wanted to show him and how he work. Pardoe, its exactly on character in the novel. Pardoe like how the character handled the situation. Even, Originally Coleman had brought Evens.  They were discussing how Stone originally was suppose to be have brain freezer burn. However, they changed make more sense. Stone in mech fighting Alaric made no sense.
  • Ray - The timeline isn't going be straight-line.  Its going to be zig/zag into the future
  • RPG development -  Ray, there discussion what to do.  Both Destiny & ATOW will be support for the time being. No specific product.  ATOW will be getting Revised.
  • Is there development about Periphery - There going be some things, but not going be focus on right now. Brent Evans, there will be left alone and allowed to be
  • Any Tank Story yet? - Pardoe, he wants do more with Wolf Tank Crew from Hour of Wolf.  Not found good story for Pardoe
  • Anything for a QuadVee crew (story wise) - Maybe, not really.
  • Where the best places for new announcements - Facebook, Twitter, Forums
  • Sharpnel approve for year 2!
  • What's coming up for next AMA - March 20th - 11am - Writing for BattleTech, April 24th - RecGuide AMA
« Last Edit: 21 February 2021, 16:56:32 by Wrangler »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2021, 13:08:08 »
ilClan is a sourcebook about the campaign, it’s not a campaign book (like Battle of Tukayyid).
Sorry about that, i was having sound issues listening to AMA.  I fixed the line comment.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
    • My Author Website
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2021, 13:36:02 »
Did I hear something wrong while leaving the room or where the Scorpions mentioned somewhere?

Adrian Gideon

• Battletech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2021, 13:38:36 »
Sorry about that, i was having sound issues listening to AMA.  I fixed the line comment.
No problem at all, this is a great recap. Just trying to set expectations.

Did I hear something wrong while leaving the room or where the Scorpions mentioned somewhere?
It was in passing, if at all.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 21 February 2021, 13:59:52 »
Besides the GDL i think I heard that the 21st Centauri Lancers are still around, just missed off the last FM and there is Adrian has confirmed there is something coming for the ELH, didn't ask about the time period though.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 21 February 2021, 14:24:13 »
I got the impression that a lot of the action in publications to come will focus on the former Jade Falcon holdings.

Angrii

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: 21 February 2021, 14:33:28 »
I got the impression that a lot of the action in publications to come will focus on the former Jade Falcon holdings.

Which is bound to involve Hell's Horses in some capacity. I'm really hoping someone takes them on as a project and develops their character a little bit to be more than a sideshow/lackeys.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #19 on: 21 February 2021, 17:01:40 »
Lyrans and the Horses could end up mixing it up as they rush to reclaim worlds. Hell they could end up reclaiming Skye.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #20 on: 21 February 2021, 17:11:13 »
  • Is there development about Periphery - There going be some things, but not going be focus on right now. Brent Evans, there will be left alone and allowed to be

:'( :'( :'(
Bienheureux vous qui pleurez maintenant car vous serez dans la joie
Bienheureux si les Hommes vous haïssent
S'ils vous frappent d'exclusion
Et s'ils insultent et proscrivent votre nom comme un blâme
A cause du fils de l'autre
Et tressaillez d'allégresse
Car votre récompense
Sera grande dans le cieeeeeeel

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: 21 February 2021, 17:27:33 »
I'm curious about who this character name Shimmer is.  I had hard time figuring out where he came from (if i got spelling of character's name right.)

If MWDA character i would like to seen fleshed out more was Randal Bill's RoTS spy, Ghost. She was very interesting character.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #22 on: 21 February 2021, 18:20:10 »
It is a she?
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

FaithBomb

• Warrant Officer
    • Faith's Fanfic and Blog
« Reply #23 on: 21 February 2021, 18:26:59 »
It is a she?

Pretty sure you're right.

Also, did I miss previous mentions in canon of Shimmer? I only remember her for giving away the keys to the Fortress.
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #24 on: 21 February 2021, 20:28:22 »
Implication is she was in earlier sources, suffered a horrible disfigurement . . . which may have caused her to change names/actions
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant General
  • Carpe Arcanum Cibum
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #25 on: 21 February 2021, 21:00:47 »

:'( :'( :'(

I'm honestly fine with this. Let the writers take their time and bring everyone into the new era properly, was opposed to rushing things and stripping secondary factions of all their character.
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"It's just that the Hegemony had one answer to every naval problem. 'I kills it with my battleships.'" - Liam's Ghost
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #26 on: 21 February 2021, 21:14:29 »
I'm honestly fine with this. Let the writers take their time and bring everyone into the new era properly, was opposed to rushing things and stripping secondary factions of all their character.

Maybe its me acostumed to be in environments with a lot of "political speak" so to say, or maybe its that my (short, but not for a lot) life have made me a cynic, but Arrastria is basicalliy saying "The Periphery is outside the main focus of what we are focusing right now, dont expect much" and Evans try to be more "diplomatic" and basically say "There is a lot of stuff there, maybe we will use it for some stories, why do you and your group use it for your own home campaign?" in a way to deflect the situation.

But yes, i get that the game its been always focused in the Inner Spehre and its powers, be clan or not.
Bienheureux vous qui pleurez maintenant car vous serez dans la joie
Bienheureux si les Hommes vous haïssent
S'ils vous frappent d'exclusion
Et s'ils insultent et proscrivent votre nom comme un blâme
A cause du fils de l'autre
Et tressaillez d'allégresse
Car votre récompense
Sera grande dans le cieeeeeeel

CJC070

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 21 February 2021, 21:21:26 »
I say leave the Periphery alone.  Make sure there is a write up of major factions but leave the nuts and bolts to the Gamemasters.  The fewer rules the more some people can Nash their teeth with Time of War.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 21 February 2021, 21:36:20 »
Implication is she was in earlier sources, suffered a horrible disfigurement . . . which may have caused her to change names/actions

I do recall stories involving a ghost knight that was described as unattractive because of some face scarring.  Stood out because of how often the authors make a point of describing how attractive female characters are.  Been years since I read them though so maybe she wasn't a ghost knight?
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #29 on: 21 February 2021, 21:58:08 »
She is not a yellow horse that now looks like a teenager is she?