Register Register

Author Topic: Hour of the Wolf Discussion Part 2 - After Hour of the Wolf  (Read 5633 times)

FaithBomb

• Warrant Officer
    • Faith's Fanfic and Blog
Re: Hour of the Wolf Discussion Part 2 - After Hour of the Wolf
« Reply #150 on: 22 February 2021, 19:17:20 »
Tangential to the Cynthy talk, I realize that there was no other way Malvina's story was ever going to end, but my preferred version has Alaric marooning Malvina on Apostica with nothing but the clothes on her back, an empty canteen and a gun with no bullets.

Don't even bother with the clothes on her back. In the early novels like Flight of the Falcon, she's always randomly getting naked for no apparent reason.
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #151 on: 22 February 2021, 21:57:18 »

But stabbed by Cynthy works too.  :thumbsup:

I had hoped she'd be involved in her end somehow, so I can't say the I found everything to be disappointing.  8)
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
« Reply #152 on: 22 February 2021, 21:58:56 »
Don't even bother with the clothes on her back. In the early novels like Flight of the Falcon, she's always randomly getting naked for no apparent reason.

Is spontaneous nudism a trait in AToW?

FaithBomb

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #153 on: 22 February 2021, 23:26:18 »

Victor Milan certainly seemed to think so in Flight of the Falcon

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/novel-and-sourcebook-reviews/flight-of-the-falcon/

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #154 on: 23 February 2021, 00:06:21 »
Clanners gonna Clan.  Sinple as that.

Dahmin_Toran

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #155 on: 23 February 2021, 00:23:48 »

It's a Quirk.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #156 on: 23 February 2021, 00:29:29 »
nonono. characters have traits. a quirk of spontaneous nudism would mean her shrike randomly got naked

Dahmin_Toran

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #157 on: 23 February 2021, 00:34:33 »
OK hear me out, what if the Republic does not totally concede? Maybe some Republic units go rogue and hold some former Republic worlds against the Wolves? I mean where the hell are the Hastati/Triarii/Principes/Fides units? Where are the regiments of the Stone's Brigade? I am sure a few many will go mercenary or even rogue, but many may take advantage of the Wolves and Falcons licking their wounds to consolidate surrounding worlds. Some may even work with the Capellans to attack the Wolves. Expect the Highlanders, you can never trust the Highlanders. Johan Levin and many Paladins/Knights are still around, he may form the core of a new resistance.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2021, 00:38:17 by Dahmin_Toran »

FaithBomb

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #158 on: 23 February 2021, 00:39:51 »
There may be a few scattered Republic forces out there, but I thought they pretty much pulled everything they could back to Terra for the big battle.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of the former RAF soldiers after the surrender. Who will go along? Who will go merc? Who went bondsman?

We know Janella Lakewood randomly became like a domestic type or something. Tara Campbell is with Clan Bonnie Jade Falcon now. Who else do we know so far?

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #159 on: 23 February 2021, 00:45:46 »
Where's Mason Dunne? Unless I missed something ><

FaithBomb

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #160 on: 23 February 2021, 00:52:03 »
Where's Mason Dunne? Unless I missed something ><

I don't recall him even being mentioned after Ghost War

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #161 on: 23 February 2021, 00:57:14 »
he showed up in one of those PDA journals on the wizkids website that were based in 3135-36

hf22

• Sergeant
« Reply #162 on: 23 February 2021, 05:27:20 »
There may be a few scattered Republic forces out there, but I thought they pretty much pulled everything they could back to Terra for the big battle.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of the former RAF soldiers after the surrender. Who will go along? Who will go merc? Who went bondsman?

We know Janella Lakewood randomly became like a domestic type or something. Tara Campbell is with Clan Bonnie Jade Falcon now. Who else do we know so far?

In the recent AMA Pardoe suggested a lot end in the Merc hiring halls. Which goes together with the revival of all the big name Merc units which seems to be planned, and perhaps echoes the origin stories of many Battletech Merc units (i.e. as former Star League units).

And based on the Surrender Your Dreams epilogue, which seems to have survived Hour of the Wolf as Canon, gives some other pointers as to what Republic veterans will get up to (including Levin).

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #163 on: 23 February 2021, 07:59:29 »
As for Cynthy, give it 10 years and we'll find her as head of an assassin's guild.

No, I think Stephanie Chitsu has arranged for her to get 10 years of counseling to deal with the crap she got from Malvina. Then Cynthy becomes a member of the 3SL government in the diplomatic corps (or whatever the ilClan calls it) and works there for 25 years. She retires and becomes the first member of the newly-recreated Order of the Palm (or Order of the Star). So we find out that she had a ****** up childhood but was able to get help and have a decent life.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Captain
« Reply #164 on: 23 February 2021, 08:52:47 »
he showed up in one of those PDA journals on the wizkids website that were based in 3135-36
Although since he was a Ghost Knight, there's not much of a case for seeing him unless it was a Republic-POV product with an Exarch.

nonono. characters have traits. a quirk of spontaneous nudism would mean her shrike randomly got naked
Now I'm certain there's some mercs or Solaris pilots out there who have had their 'Mechs painted with a "nude" paint scheme
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

GreekFire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #165 on: 23 February 2021, 11:01:11 »
I mean where the hell are the Hastati/Triarii/Principes/Fides units? Where are the regiments of the Stone's Brigade?

Either dead on Terra or dead off of it. Pretty much all regiments are accounted for. There might still be a few stragglers here and there, but the very large bulk is gone.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Looking for a write-up on your favorite 'Mech? Check this out: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0
Want to know which 'Mechs haven't been covered? Take a look at this: http://pastebin.com/9LNAMhFC
Interested in requesting or writing a 'Mech of the Week article? Come join us over here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55619.0

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #166 on: 23 February 2021, 11:23:13 »
There will be a beatdown, but my guess is it will be the Cappies on the receiving end.
Alaric, IRL, quickly moved south from Rome after its sacking. He ended up dying before reaching his goal. "South" on the Inner Sphere map is...
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #167 on: 23 February 2021, 12:51:28 »
From what I'm hearing of this book, it appears we've been Kurtzman'd...

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #168 on: 23 February 2021, 13:02:15 »
IMHO, Cynthy did what all thought she shall do.

Now she shall kill herself. She is not important anymore.
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #169 on: 23 February 2021, 13:20:43 »

Did she turn on Malvina?

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #170 on: 23 February 2021, 13:49:44 »
Stabbed her dead.
I have spoken.

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #171 on: 23 February 2021, 14:12:57 »
Dead, dead, deadski.  As Beetlejuice would say.

abou

• Lieutenant
« Reply #172 on: 23 February 2021, 14:24:03 »
From what I'm hearing of this book, it appears we've been Kurtzman'd...

Yeah... that's how it feels.

Niopsian

• Warrant Officer
  • I dunno.
« Reply #173 on: 23 February 2021, 14:51:27 »

She essentially shadowed the Khan of the Jade Falcons for 15+ years. She may know a lot - even if she doesn't know she knows. Less moral intel agencies (ie, all of them) could still get a lot out of her even after the post ilClan shakeup.

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #174 on: 23 February 2021, 16:23:40 »
Essentially, Mason Dunne, was Mr. Stackpole's person.  Heck is was going engaged with Palladin Janella Lakewood.  Mason was progedy of Victor Steiner-Davion as well. 

I think he got missplaced by the writers is why he went "POOF!".

Janella won't have broken so badly if he were around.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

FaithBomb

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #175 on: 23 February 2021, 17:04:51 »
Essentially, Mason Dunne, was Mr. Stackpole's person.  Heck is was going engaged with Palladin Janella Lakewood.  Mason was progedy of Victor Steiner-Davion as well. 

I think he got missplaced by the writers is why he went "POOF!".

Janella won't have broken so badly if he were around.

Well that and she suffers from the curse of appearing in the front of TRO's.

But Mason I would think was meant for more, just got lost in the shuffle.

Niopsian

• Warrant Officer
  • I dunno.
« Reply #176 on: 23 February 2021, 17:39:58 »
Well that and she suffers from the curse of appearing in the front of TRO's.

But Mason I would think was meant for more, just got lost in the shuffle.

Hey, Merle Jimmus is awesome and never gets the respect he's due.

There were a few characters introduced in Ghost War besides Mason that I thought never got their chance to shine, including Nessa Davion and Consuela Dagmar. And I think Kitsune Kurita was one of the most wasted opportunities in the fiction - he could have tied into so much of the Kurita storyline and he those blood connections with Alaric and the Steiner-Davions.

He's only 87 and still at large as far as I know. Maybe it's a thread that can be picked up? I would like to see something with Alaric meeting his cousins at some point.

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

FaithBomb

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #177 on: 23 February 2021, 17:43:10 »
Hey, Merle Jimmus is awesome and never gets the respect he's due.

There were a few characters introduced in Ghost War besides Mason that I thought never got their chance to shine, including Nessa Davion and Consuela Dagmar. And I think Kitsune Kurita was one of the most wasted opportunities in the fiction - he could have tied into so much of the Kurita storyline and he those blood connections with Alaric and the Steiner-Davions.

He's only 87 and still at large as far as I know. Maybe it's a thread that can be picked up? I would like to see something with Alaric meeting his cousins at some point.

I honestly gave up trying to figure out Kuritan bloodlines/succession and all that the minute that old Teddy went into a coma. Too much of a mess after that, you'd need to feature the Kuritas on Finding Your Roots to figure it all out.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #178 on: 23 February 2021, 17:50:15 »
I wonder how much Falcon identity is left, or, for that matter, how much Smoke Jaguar there is full stop. Or are they just going to both end up as boring Wolves with slightly different names?

Probably the latter.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

Whenever you use terms like 'fiat' or 'stupid pills', you render your argument invalid

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way

FaithBomb

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #179 on: 23 February 2021, 18:04:51 »
I wonder how much Falcon identity is left, or, for that matter, how much Smoke Jaguar there is full stop. Or are they just going to both end up as boring Wolves with slightly different names?

Probably the latter.

I wouldn't bet on it. At least not with the Jags. They've gotten the whole "The Smoke Jaguars Shall Rise Again" treatment, so I doubt they're just going to be made Wolf Clan Lite. For better or worse.

The Falcons, I would imagine something of their identity remains, but it's definitely going to get merged with the whole Black Watch ethos and be very much under Alaric's thumb, I'd wager.