Register Register

Author Topic: Hour of the Wolf Discussion Part 2 - After Hour of the Wolf  (Read 26960 times)

abou

• Lieutenant
Re: Hour of the Wolf Discussion Part 2 - After Hour of the Wolf
« Reply #750 on: 14 April 2021, 08:16:36 »
Thinking philosophically was never a Clan strong suit. Much like how the Romans left that to the "effeminate" Greeks, the Clans couldn't be bothered. So conversations they should have had they didn't. So I guess we will just have to find out.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #751 on: 14 April 2021, 08:26:51 »
And herein lies the problem with Kerensky's Rules for Winning ilKhanships and Influencing People.

Ignoring the fact that there was no anticipation that some of the Clans would go native after invading the Inner Sphere and start to treat their own traditions more like guidelines, is there any actual written instructions on how the ilKhanship actually works?

Can the ilKhan be challenged at all? If he's challenged and loses, does the challenger automatically become ilKhan or does it fall to someone else within the ilClan because otherwise what the hell was the point of all of this? If the ilKhan can be anyone who kills the current ilKhan, does this only end once there in one Clan left standing?

That's what was hinted at in the Nicholas Kerensky writeup for BattleTech: Legends.  He needed an external foe to keep his Clans focused and unified.  When he ran out of Pentagon warlords, he focused them on each other, starting with the Wolverines, and followed fairly shortly thereafter by the Widowmakers.  Had he not eaten a laser during that Trial, it's entirely possible he planned to keep provoking Absorptions (and the occasional Annihilation of any Clan that wouldn't play ball - lookin' at you, Blood Spirits) until only one Clan remained, the ilClan.  At that point, they'd be back to square one, needing an external focus - so, then return to the Inner Sphere and conquer Terra.

Needless to say, that didn't happen, but it may be why the permanent ilKhanship isn't a perfect fit for a multi-polar Clan society.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Agathos

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #752 on: 14 April 2021, 09:01:57 »
I had the impression that the next ilKhan would also have to come from Clan Wolf, the ilClan. That adjusts the risk/reward calculation a bit, but the Clans shouldn’t abandon their long tradition of assassinating ilKhans.

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
    • Faith's Fanfic and Blog
« Reply #753 on: 14 April 2021, 11:07:20 »
And herein lies the problem with Kerensky's Rules for Winning ilKhanships and Influencing People.

Ignoring the fact that there was no anticipation that some of the Clans would go native after invading the Inner Sphere and start to treat their own traditions more like guidelines, is there any actual written instructions on how the ilKhanship actually works?

Can the ilKhan be challenged at all? If he's challenged and loses, does the challenger automatically become ilKhan or does it fall to someone else within the ilClan because otherwise what the hell was the point of all of this? If the ilKhan can be anyone who kills the current ilKhan, does this only end once there in one Clan left standing?

Or take it to it's logical conclusion, does it only end when there's one Clanner left standing. Because if there's two, there's always one who can kill the other. Are ilKhan's like the sith, they keep getting murdered by someone looking to rise in the ranks?
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #754 on: 14 April 2021, 11:28:00 »
Or take it to it's logical conclusion, does it only end when there's one Clanner left standing. Because if there's two, there's always one who can kill the other. Are ilKhan's like the sith, they keep getting murdered by someone looking to rise in the ranks?

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #755 on: 14 April 2021, 16:02:25 »
The notion of IlClan wasn't an official doctrine during Nicholas's lifetime.  It was an idea that he wrote down in a journal, and after his death it was found and turned into official doctrine because it met their needs.

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
    • Faith's Fanfic and Blog
« Reply #756 on: 14 April 2021, 16:04:35 »
The notion of IlClan wasn't an official doctrine during Nicholas's lifetime.  It was an idea that he wrote down in a journal, and after his death it was found and turned into official doctrine because it met their needs.

And let's be honest, Nicholas wasn't exactly a brain surgeon.
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #757 on: 14 April 2021, 16:13:52 »

yeah i was too lazy to try to edit patrick so he looked like a ghost. from this point on, alaric has spongebob's voice. you're welcome

And let's be honest, Nicholas wasn't exactly a brain surgeon.

hence choosing a meme format where i could depict him as someone like patrick  :))

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #758 on: 14 April 2021, 16:29:15 »
yeah i was too lazy to try to edit patrick so he looked like a ghost. from this point on, alaric has spongebob's voice. you're welcome

And so it shall be for all time
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

Whenever you use terms like 'fiat' or 'stupid pills', you render your argument invalid

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #759 on: 21 April 2021, 09:58:46 »
I think, the Lyrans could be get the Goodwill of the ilKhan easily: they have to rename.
From Lyrans to Lycans  ;)
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Nibs

• Lieutenant
« Reply #760 on: 21 April 2021, 10:19:29 »
I think, the Lyrans could be get the Goodwill of the ilKhan easily: they have to rename.
From Lyrans to Lycans  ;)

It's never Lupus  ;)

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #761 on: 21 April 2021, 10:47:26 »
except that one time it was  :))

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #762 on: 21 April 2021, 11:06:51 »
So, here's a question.  What do the Belters think of all this?  Will the ilKhan demand fealty, or will the genetically enhanced communities out in the Oort cloud be able to continue life as usual, without the ilClan even noticing their presence?
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

klarg1

• Lieutenant
    • Blind Metal Minis
« Reply #763 on: 21 April 2021, 11:07:00 »

This parallel fits better than it probably should.

"Always two there are: A Khan and a saKhan."

Rncavenger

• Sergeant
« Reply #764 on: 21 April 2021, 12:02:45 »
This parallel fits better than it probably should.

"Always two there are: A Khan and a saKhan."

Spirit Cats disagree with this  ;)

Kerfuffin(925)

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #765 on: 21 April 2021, 12:04:15 »
Spirit Cats disagree with this  ;)

They aren’t a clan, and they aren’t very strong. So no need to listen to them at all.  :)) ;D

Nibs

• Lieutenant
« Reply #766 on: 21 April 2021, 12:56:46 »
So, here's a question.  What do the Belters think of all this?  Will the ilKhan demand fealty, or will the genetically enhanced communities out in the Oort cloud be able to continue life as usual, without the ilClan even noticing their presence?

I think the Belters might be #416 on the ilKhan's To-Do List. Might take a while.

(Must have been so satisfying to cross Become ilKhan and Show Mum That I'm Better Than Her off the list.)

Hotham

• Private
« Reply #767 on: 22 April 2021, 12:39:40 »

Can't say for certain if the Belters are on the radar of TPTB. There was a SLDF unit that mostly consisted Belters which left with Kerensky on the Exodus. There has to be some record of the communities in the clans. If I was Alaric and had knowledge of their existence , I would reach out and say, "Hey, the Star League is back baby and I am reconstituting the unit your ancestors serve with; want to join?"
"Barton, you come unwarranted out of the left field." - AO3 Nelson

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #768 on: 22 April 2021, 15:21:02 »
The space battles in Hour of the Wolf suggest that not even the Republic fleet considered using their shipyards as an emergency fallback/rally point, and the Clans didn’t target their facilities.

Stone should definitely have been aware of them, though, since they aided him against the Blakists.

goldenarm1483

• Recruit
« Reply #769 on: 22 April 2021, 15:24:40 »
The space battles in Hour of the Wolf suggest that not even the Republic fleet considered using their shipyards as an emergency fallback/rally point, and the Clans didn’t target their facilities.

Stone should definitely have been aware of them, though, since they aided him against the Blakists.

You’re assuming BLP is aware of them.

Hotham

• Private
« Reply #770 on: 22 April 2021, 15:45:24 »
HotW went through a long and probably frustrating process of writing so it's understandable that a small faction like the Belters wouldn't be featured. There were a lot narrative points to hit and its already a massive book. Belters would be at the bottom of the list.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #771 on: 22 April 2021, 17:14:36 »
Can't say for certain if the Belters are on the radar of TPTB. There was a SLDF unit that mostly consisted Belters which left with Kerensky on the Exodus. There has to be some record of the communities in the clans. If I was Alaric and had knowledge of their existence , I would reach out and say, "Hey, the Star League is back baby and I am reconstituting the unit your ancestors serve with; want to join?"

That's if any of them survived survived war in the Homeworlds

HotW went through a long and probably frustrating process of writing so it's understandable that a small faction like the Belters wouldn't be featured. There were a lot narrative points to hit and its already a massive book. Belters would be at the bottom of the list.

I agree not an important factor maybe one of brief resistance
The below link leads to a wiki page created by Wrangler.  It has links to the various pages of my AU.
https://battletechfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Alternate_Timeline_with_Thanks
For those looking for everything online I've also got them on the OurBattleTech website
https://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/index.php?board=76.0
As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #772 on: 22 April 2021, 18:38:12 »
I agree not an important factor maybe one of brief resistance

Going by the "normal" lore, they will be a tought nut to crack. Going by the "ISP books" lore, Alaric is screwed if he tries to mess with them. Belters are basically a "realistic SciFi" group in a "campy scifi" universe.
Bienheureux vous qui pleurez maintenant car vous serez dans la joie
Bienheureux si les Hommes vous haïssent
S'ils vous frappent d'exclusion
Et s'ils insultent et proscrivent votre nom comme un blâme
A cause du fils de l'autre
Et tressaillez d'allégresse
Car votre récompense
Sera grande dans le cieeeeeeel

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #773 on: 22 April 2021, 18:50:36 »
He'd rather have them on his side, I'd figure.  The Belters are a powerful group.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #774 on: 22 April 2021, 19:54:29 »
Okay, I have no idea who the Belters are.  Thought I'd figure it out through the conversation, but I'm no less confused about it.  Sarna didn't seem to have any clue either.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #775 on: 22 April 2021, 20:09:13 »
The people who populate the Asteroid Belt and the Kuiper Belt.  They are a large but scattered population independent of Terra.  They are very advanced technologically.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #776 on: 22 April 2021, 20:12:20 »
It's worth noting that they're also very insular, content to maintain a disinterested attitude about the rest of the Inner Sphere. It's entirely likely that will continue so long as they aren't directly affected by the whole Ilclan thing.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Hotham

• Private
« Reply #777 on: 22 April 2021, 20:23:17 »
Okay, I have no idea who the Belters are.  Thought I'd figure it out through the conversation, but I'm no less confused about it.  Sarna didn't seem to have any clue either.

A good deal about them is established in Jihad Conspiracies: Interstellar Players. They are isolated communities who thrive in the Sol system's asteroid belt and outer space habitats.

They are adapted to zero-G but also formed the core of the 157th Royal Mechanized Infantry Division which participated in ground combat. This is due to advance  genetic engineering  that allows them to operate easily in space and beneath a gravity well.

After reading about their society I believe they would match well with Clan Sea Fox if they didn't prefer drifting in a dark void.

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #778 on: 22 April 2021, 20:28:59 »
The Sea Foxes should love them, I agree.  But at least they aren't hard to find.  Surely, Ceres or Vesta have some pretty big colonies tunneled in them as well as on them.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #779 on: 22 April 2021, 22:21:04 »
I think the Belters would be treated like a Dark Caste that was given a light touch if they aren't rising up against this new IlClan.

Wolf Clan: "We own Terra, bow to us."
Belters: "Um yeah sure, look just mail is over a flag and we'll fly it. I think the Republic one we had is still in storage."
Wolf Clan: "Well, okay bargained well and done."
*Belters mumble under their breath the odds when Wolf will die because they have Terra, like so many other factions before them*

I recall reading small tidbits in other publications how you still have folks living off the grid in typical Clan worlds, but since they pose no threat they are just tolerated. They aren't part of the society proper and of course people will do the shun shun boo boo routine, but it isn't like they're being eradicated every day. Sure the sibkos might go and punch people around for "training" but that's about it?
« Last Edit: 22 April 2021, 22:23:26 by Atlas3060 »
Stone wasn't cryo frozen. He just got stuck in a freezer Hans Moleman style and we felt bad about it. So we made up this lie.