Register Register

Author Topic: Hour of the Wolf Discussion - SPOILERS  (Read 34793 times)

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
Re: Hour of the Wolf Discussion - SPOILERS
« Reply #780 on: 13 January 2021, 16:40:07 »
I think it was meant that the system was on it's last legs and didn't have much time left, more drive cores or not.

And on an unrelated note: https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2021/01/12/hour-of-the-wolf-part-ii-what-got-chopped/

::)
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood

Desu Vult

• Private
« Reply #781 on: 13 January 2021, 20:45:34 »
I think it was meant that the system was on it's last legs and didn't have much time left, more drive cores or not.

And on an unrelated note: https://blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2021/01/12/hour-of-the-wolf-part-ii-what-got-chopped/

Spoilered in relation to information from the blog that may be a future narrative.

"They devastate the Horses, both Khans KIA, thanks to Stephanie Chistu. Okay, that part was a lot of fun. The Hell’s Horses were going to kill General Brubaker in the trial.  We later decided that the Horses deserved more story, so that conflict will have to wait."

So it does seem Horses are just getting tee'd up to get hammered.  That is quite lame if they follow through on that I feel.  It would be more interesting to me to have them remain and help represent major clan opposition to the ilClan.  If they get rolled I find it a bit hard to imagine Capellans don't also get rolled if they oppose the ilClan.  FedSuns are in position to batter back the Dracs who are getting pretty exhausted, which just leaves no immediately interesting opposition to the ilClan to me.

Unless Capellans can put one over on the ilClan somehow I am not sure where interesting opposition can come from if Horses lose completely and outright immediately.  CJF is cowed, CGB is mollified, RA have thrown their support behind the ilClan, CSF don't have the centralized touman to oppose the ilClan if they wanted to, FWL and LC have already been beaten, DC and FS are throwing almost everything they can into a fight with what is left over acting as crucial border guards.  Capellans are worn but seem geared for a fight and CHH have voiced opposition.  If we don't have them still standing in the next story arc of this era it feels like there won't be much there exccept cleanup.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
« Reply #782 on: 13 January 2021, 20:56:01 »
which just leaves no immediately interesting opposition to the ilClan to me.

we in the fwl pledge to yell very loudly at alaric. we may even curse.

CJC070

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #783 on: 13 January 2021, 20:56:49 »
Remember the Wolves are not that well off either.  We don’t know how many troops they have left on Earth but they are battered, bruised, and no sign of reinforcements.  Depending on the Republic Remnants attitudes there might not be many reinforcements from them to support the Wolf Empire.  This would not be the first time someone threw everything to get a tough target which could result a hundred years of small raids not due to bidding but due to the heavy losses everyone received.

General308

• Lieutenant
« Reply #784 on: 13 January 2021, 21:27:54 »
Spoilered in relation to information from the blog that may be a future narrative.

"They devastate the Horses, both Khans KIA, thanks to Stephanie Chistu. Okay, that part was a lot of fun. The Hell’s Horses were going to kill General Brubaker in the trial.  We later decided that the Horses deserved more story, so that conflict will have to wait."

So it does seem Horses are just getting tee'd up to get hammered.  That is quite lame if they follow through on that I feel.  It would be more interesting to me to have them remain and help represent major clan opposition to the ilClan.  If they get rolled I find it a bit hard to imagine Capellans don't also get rolled if they oppose the ilClan.  FedSuns are in position to batter back the Dracs who are getting pretty exhausted, which just leaves no immediately interesting opposition to the ilClan to me.

Unless Capellans can put one over on the ilClan somehow I am not sure where interesting opposition can come from if Horses lose completely and outright immediately.  CJF is cowed, CGB is mollified, RA have thrown their support behind the ilClan, CSF don't have the centralized touman to oppose the ilClan if they wanted to, FWL and LC have already been beaten, DC and FS are throwing almost everything they can into a fight with what is left over acting as crucial border guards.  Capellans are worn but seem geared for a fight and CHH have voiced opposition.  If we don't have them still standing in the next story arc of this era it feels like there won't be much there exccept cleanup.

I expect one of two things will happen with HH.  Either they decide on new Khans and join up.  Or they resist.  Which more or less obligates the res the clans to destroy them.  For a clan to refuse a rightful claim to Ilklan is basicly insurection leaving the Ilkhan and other clans little choose on how to deal with it.

abou

• Lieutenant
« Reply #785 on: 13 January 2021, 21:36:53 »
we in the fwl pledge to yell very loudly at alaric. we may even curse.
Assuming such an announcement can make it out of committee first, then passed by parliament, and THEN signed by the Captain-General.

Oh, and don't forget any various "poison pill" riders that will get attached. The FWL will be lucky to get it done by 3152 at the earliest.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #786 on: 13 January 2021, 21:38:50 »
Correct. The assumption is that we’ll hand him the strongly worded letter personally when he lands on Atreus

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #787 on: 13 January 2021, 21:55:36 »
Correct. The assumption is that we’ll hand him the strongly worded letter personally when he lands on Atreus

They'll NUKE them- Notification of Unified Kindness Envelopes!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #788 on: 13 January 2021, 21:58:36 »
oh, right. the regulans are back in.

we might just save the whole damn inner sphere

Desu Vult

• Private
« Reply #789 on: 13 January 2021, 22:16:05 »
I expect one of two things will happen with HH.  Either they decide on new Khans and join up.  Or they resist.  Which more or less obligates the res the clans to destroy them.  For a clan to refuse a rightful claim to Ilklan is basicly insurection leaving the Ilkhan and other clans little choose on how to deal with it.

Knocking out CHH as opposition to the ilClan is the issue to me since it leaves rather limited opposition to the ilClan's will.  Clan Wolf has expended a a significant amount of their touman but have secured tremendous industrial capabilities and have a large number of assets to call upon while any remaining opposition after CHH is either Capellan or in even worse condition, except for maybe the homeworld clans if they return.  That just seems uninteresting to me.  My least favorite era in the past was the 4th SW into the clan era because of the dominance of the FedCom.  The Terran Hegemony was strong in the era of the first star league but could be balanced on a razor's edge, capable of being shown up, and even needed to use the periphery as an opponent to set the houses against since they together still posed a threat.  The newest ruler of Terra has already beaten or secured the outright loyalty of over half the inner sphere powers.  I won't say I am unbiased since I liked Clan Hell's Horses pre-Dark Age but I would like there to be at least noteworthy potential opposition to the ilClan's dominance.

abou

• Lieutenant
« Reply #790 on: 13 January 2021, 22:41:26 »
oh, right. the regulans are back in.

we might just save the whole damn inner sphere
If only you can find a notary...

Barnhill

• Recruit
« Reply #791 on: 13 January 2021, 23:30:35 »
I noticed a couple update emails for my download file for the book.  Any idea what they are?  I am like 100 pages away from finishing the book and dont really want to start over.  LOL

GreekFire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #792 on: 13 January 2021, 23:39:57 »
I noticed a couple update emails for my download file for the book.  Any idea what they are?  I am like 100 pages away from finishing the book and dont really want to start over.  LOL

Version 2 added two minor chapters before the second interlude, adding scenes from the perspectives of Yori Kurita and Nikol Marik, IIRC.

Version 3 was minor fixes to continuity issues, such as Alaric piloting a Skinwalker.

Have there been other emails?
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Looking for a write-up on your favorite 'Mech? Check this out: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0
Want to know which 'Mechs haven't been covered? Take a look at this: http://pastebin.com/9LNAMhFC
Interested in requesting or writing a 'Mech of the Week article? Come join us over here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55619.0

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #793 on: 14 January 2021, 00:06:40 »
The first update removed the definition of SAFE, which goes back to being unknown, rather than "Search And Find Everything"
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

GreekFire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #794 on: 14 January 2021, 00:19:45 »
The first update removed the definition of SAFE, which goes back to being unknown, rather than "Search And Find Everything"

That is very good to know. Do you know of any other changes? I've been trying to keep track.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Looking for a write-up on your favorite 'Mech? Check this out: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0
Want to know which 'Mechs haven't been covered? Take a look at this: http://pastebin.com/9LNAMhFC
Interested in requesting or writing a 'Mech of the Week article? Come join us over here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55619.0

Liam's Ghost

• Major
  • Miss Chitty demands justice for the Warhammer C
« Reply #795 on: 14 January 2021, 00:22:09 »
Huh, the print on demand version I ordered shipped yesterday. I wonder which version I'll get.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #796 on: 14 January 2021, 00:23:38 »
i ordered the PoD the first day and it had the post-ch 24 interlude, which was missing from the initial digital release

anyone got a chapter number for the safe thing?

Guardian11

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #797 on: 14 January 2021, 00:39:04 »
i ordered the PoD the first day and it had the post-ch 24 interlude, which was missing from the initial digital release

anyone got a chapter number for the safe thing?

It's the Interlude between Chapters 9 and 10.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #798 on: 14 January 2021, 00:50:15 »
it's not in the PoD (the safe reference that is)

Orwell84

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #799 on: 14 January 2021, 01:01:11 »

And still missing from the Kobo edition (so far).
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others

"Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution, one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."

"Threats to freedom of speech, writing, and action, though often trivial in isolation, are cumulative in their effect, and unless checked, lead to a general disrespect for the rights of the citizen"
George Orwell

Barnhill

• Recruit
« Reply #800 on: 14 January 2021, 01:08:07 »
Awesome.  Thanks for the replies.  I will have to read those once I am done.  And yeah the SAFE definition kinda had me giggle.

Sharpnel

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #801 on: 14 January 2021, 03:34:56 »
It's now Search and Follow Everyone  ;) Plus this makes a bit more sense.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, ZEU-6BL Zeus, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, VND-1R Vindicator 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company
Tai-i Shizuko Lofgren, Third Infantry Company, Oniwaka

The Honor of Men cannot be bound by the words of Fools - Marco Hietala
"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
It's an Omni, so I can build it into whatever I please - JHB
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #802 on: 14 January 2021, 03:58:07 »
It's now Search and Follow Everyone  ;) Plus this makes a bit more sense.

It's actually a phrase from R'lyehian.  "Syha'hnahh Ah'mglw'nafh Fhtagn Epgoka"

What, you never wondered why SAFE's Dark Shadows HQ was a pyramid on the moon?
« Last Edit: 14 January 2021, 06:37:49 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #803 on: 14 January 2021, 06:03:18 »
Just to be sure, the PoD version didn't change, and the EPUB was changed to now match what was always the content of the PoD, right? (I've got both the interlude following chapter 9 and chapter 24 in the book.)

What chapter/page was the SAFE explanation in please? I'd like to check this in my PoD edition.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #804 on: 14 January 2021, 06:06:15 »
It's not in the version currently online for download from the store.  (It was a few pages into "Interlude - Office of the Captain General")

GreekFire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #805 on: 14 January 2021, 13:09:07 »
Just to be sure, the PoD version didn't change, and the EPUB was changed to now match what was always the content of the PoD, right? (I've got both the interlude following chapter 9 and chapter 24 in the book.)

What chapter/page was the SAFE explanation in please? I'd like to check this in my PoD edition.

The PoD should match v.2--so no SAFE explanation, and no missing interlude.

I don't think the minor changes in v.3 made it to the PoD, though.

Guardian11

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #806 on: 14 January 2021, 13:47:18 »

The interlude after chapter 9 is the one that had the SAFE explanation.

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #807 on: 14 January 2021, 13:54:14 »
I can hardly think that Mercenaries do have a future when the iLclan is ruling the Inner Sphere.
I can see that many Mercs have to flee and try to survive as Pirates.

Several PodCast interviews with Ray and the other Devs have framed up the ilClan Era as a new age of Mercs, with talk of a fabled next kickstarter being "Mercenary Themed."   So I am envisioning a setting where Merc forces are the tool used by Inner Sphere planetary governments use to engage in Trails of Possession and Refusal with their Clan overlords and against clan invaders.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #808 on: 14 January 2021, 13:58:19 »
with the mostly successful first kickstarter, i would upgrade the status of the next kickstarter from 'fabled' to 'theoretical'

klarg1

• Lieutenant
    • Blind Metal Minis
« Reply #809 on: 14 January 2021, 14:14:08 »
with the mostly successful first kickstarter, i would upgrade the status of the next kickstarter from 'fabled' to 'theoretical'

Mostly? It seems like a success to me.