Register Register

Author Topic: Hour of the Wolf Discussion - SPOILERS  (Read 48598 times)

CJC070

• Master Sergeant
Re: Hour of the Wolf Discussion - SPOILERS
« Reply #1050 on: 20 January 2021, 20:07:58 »
Alaric . . . killed surrendering MSC troops, forced rivals to destroy themselves, and treated allies with disdain.  As also mentioned, the book totally ignores Verena in the shaping of his character and understanding as well which makes him rather 2D.

Not to mention used the Dragoon’s as canon fodder and ensured that Marotta Kerensky was eliminated as a ristar.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #1051 on: 21 January 2021, 04:02:45 »
Not to mention used the Dragoon’s as canon fodder and ensured that Marotta Kerensky was eliminated as a ristar.
What have you expected of Kathrine Steiner-Davion`s son?
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Kerfuffin(925)

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1052 on: 21 January 2021, 04:21:33 »

He tried so hard to not be like her yet he’s just the same

Gorgon

• Corporal
« Reply #1053 on: 21 January 2021, 06:22:47 »
I'm really curious how Alaric's "I'll make the IS pay for messing with the Clans" thing is going to play out. As a long term Drac fan, I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop ever since the fall of New Avalon. Alaric specifically mentioning the Combine's extermination campaign against the Nova Cats as a wrong that he intends to right (in Children of Kerensky, I think?) could be foreshadowing of that. While there was no love lost between the Bears and the Cats, going to all out war against the Combine could be a good way to get them and the Ravens firmly on board with the new Star League he's planning. It would make for a hell of a story.

Orwell84

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1054 on: 21 January 2021, 07:23:23 »
What Nova Cats did to bears for such reaction? Too much trials for CGB warriors ?

Outright betrayed the other Clans by joining Star League 2.0. Whether that's a fair assessment or not, it's understandable that even other Wardens would feel this way. The likely reason it became a violent feud between the Bears and Cats is also the simplest: proximity. The Bears now had to share a long border with the xenophobic Combine instead of fellow Clanners partly thanks to the Cats backstabbing the Smoke Jaguars. Though the Cats had a point too about the ilKhan-in-name-only and his blinkered reaction to the crisis leaving them in the lurch.

I'm really curious how Alaric's "I'll make the IS pay for messing with the Clans" thing is going to play out. As a long term Drac fan, I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop ever since the fall of New Avalon. Alaric specifically mentioning the Combine's extermination campaign against the Nova Cats as a wrong that he intends to right (in Children of Kerensky, I think?) could be foreshadowing of that. While there was no love lost between the Bears and the Cats, going to all out war against the Combine could be a good way to get them and the Ravens firmly on board with the new Star League he's planning. It would make for a hell of a story.

A story I'd enjoy reading too, unless it were 'written' by a truly atrocious author. It would give the Bears and Ravens a major war to fight, avenge the genocide inflicted on the Nova Cats, give the Rasalhagians and Outworlders some payback if they still want it, and set Clan Wolf a real challenge fighting the strongest House (OK, tied with Liao) instead the Lyran punching bag.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others

"Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution, one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship."

"Threats to freedom of speech, writing, and action, though often trivial in isolation, are cumulative in their effect, and unless checked, lead to a general disrespect for the rights of the citizen"
George Orwell

Gorgon

• Corporal
« Reply #1055 on: 21 January 2021, 07:40:57 »
A story I'd enjoy reading too, unless it were 'written' by a truly atrocious author. It would give the Bears and Ravens a major war to fight, avenge the genocide inflicted on the Nova Cats, give the Rasalhagians and Outworlders some payback if they still want it, and set Clan Wolf a real challenge fighting the strongest House (OK, tied with Liao) instead the Lyran punching bag.
Just thinking about the potential for OTPs and the like has me drooling.

CJC070

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1056 on: 21 January 2021, 09:27:19 »

Just what I expected from Katherines progeny.  It just took me a while to try to figure out why Alaric betrayed the Dragoon’s and I don’t remember anyone talking about the Marotta connection.

CJC070

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1057 on: 21 January 2021, 09:31:48 »
Bears vs Kurita would also even the warrior count.  Just as soon as Liao also get hit hard everyone will be on the same page.  A hundred years of small battles across not because of biddings or “rules” everyone breaks but because no one can field a regiment without stripping two or three worlds of their armed forces.

Gorgon

• Corporal
« Reply #1058 on: 21 January 2021, 10:03:15 »
A large Capellan task force is just waiting for their chance to have a go at Terra. I fully expect them to get gutted. The new era is called IlClan, after all, not IlLiao. Personally, I would be on board with one or more major factions biting the dust (permanently) to really shake things up. I wouldn't even mind if it were some of my favorites, like the DC. They (along with the CC) seem the least flexible and least likely to morph into a hybrid Clan-IS state. The Dominion and Raven Alliance are decently set up for long term political integration and survival, the new FWL is so fa successfully integrating Clans into their political structure. The Davions owe the Foxes, opening a possible avenue for integration into the new Clan-led future. And if the third Star League kills off the Dracs and cripples the Capellans, they might find it opportune to come to terms with the new IlClan. Because like the Lyrans, they would be hard pressed to resist a new order at the moment.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1059 on: 21 January 2021, 11:11:13 »
Just what I expected from Katherines progeny.  It just took me a while to try to figure out why Alaric betrayed the Dragoon’s and I don’t remember anyone talking about the Marotta connection.

Marotta was collateral damage . . . notice he was not being kicked out, annihilated, reaved or abjured.  He is still a Bloodnamed warrior of the Wolf Clan . . .

Alaric wanted the Dragoons damaged, but he still wants them outside the Clans.  They are a training tool to get the rest of the IS up to speed to face the Wolf Star League, so that the Clan warriors have a constant source of challenging fights as they slowly nibble all the Houses to death in Reunification War 2.0- What happens when you say no.

But that is IC . . . OOC, TPTB have said they are sort of replaying the greatest hits (resurrection of Alex Carlyle for future GDL, Falcon Guards, etc) . . . so woo, redux 3030s (similarly understrength from Misery) where the Dragoons are secretly preparing the IS to face the coming of the Clans.  And look, they even have a special little unit . . . with a Kerensky involved!  All we need to find out in the future ilClan book's notable personalities is that Marotta is a descendant of Natasha, and it is repeat.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1060 on: 21 January 2021, 11:19:14 »
A large Capellan task force is just waiting for their chance to have a go at Terra. I fully expect them to get gutted. The new era is called IlClan, after all, not IlLiao.
I'll note that the per the few 3250 tidbits we've seen, the Third League will endure at least about 100 years. Those same tidbits also indicate existence of "Renegade" forces (think there was something named "Merit Kelswa Cluster"), thus it seems plausible that the Star League either won't be ruling all of the Inner Sphere by 3250, or that there are areas with major resistance (more likely both).

I suspect the Hell's Horses will form a major "Renegade Clan" force on the account of their icy reaction to how IlClan-ship was claimed and how Alaric dismissed them as a "migratory Clan" or something like that. And Kelswa seems to imply (to me anyway) that at least parts of the Lyran Commonwealth aren't going down without fighting. The Capellans certainly aren't gonna like a Clan claiming dominion over them. And since Alaric wasn't happy with the Nova Cats being destroyed (since it was a Clan matter), i suspect he will seek to punish the Kuritans, and it isn't like they're gonna accept a Clan-led Star League anyway.

On the other hand, the Free Worlds League has carefully not interfered with the conquest of Terra, and i think one of the 3250 bits noted there's "Gunslinger Marik" or some such. This makes me think the FWL will accept the Star League, perhaps in return to concessions such as greater autonomy or something like that. Plus if the Cappies resist, there's a chance for some payback with the Star League. This would be also funny in historical sense, since the FWL was among the first founders of the original and second Star League.
The FedSuns is in bad straits. Between that and "Gunslinger Sortek", makes me think they will also accept the Star League. Plus there's a chance of payback against both the Cappies and Dracs.

Overall, this would lead to the Inner Sphere divided roughly between two major factions (Star League and Renegades) but i don't think either would also be truly unified, so there's good potential for backstabbing and politics and whatever. Finally, the Renegades probably make good use of mercenaries, especially after how Alaric treated the Wolf's Dragoons.
Star League: The Clans except Hell's Horses, FedSuns, FWL, parts of the Lyran Commonwealth, Outworlds Alliance via the Snow Ravens.
Renegades: Clan Hell's Horses, Draconis Combine, CapCon, Magistracy of Canopus, Duchy of Andurien(?) parts of the Lyran Commonwealth, mercenaries in general.
Unknown: Marian Hegemony, Taurian Concordat, others i forgot.
Minis needed for Atlas AS7-K2, Stalking Spider II; Kishi, Oni, Zou, Simian, Quirinus and Centaur battle armor; DI Multipurpose VTOL, Kinnol tank, JES III missile carrier.

GuyIncognito

• Corporal
« Reply #1061 on: 21 January 2021, 11:27:10 »
The 3250 bits have also mentioned "Auditor Clusters", who are tasked with making sure there isn't any unauthorized heavy industry going on in the League or Periphery. Guess they learned one thing from the fall of the first League, haha.

BoyOfSummer

• Sergeant
  • I'll either find a way or make one.
« Reply #1062 on: 21 January 2021, 11:29:35 »
I'll note that the per the few 3250 tidbits we've seen, the Third League will endure at least about 100 years.

It's really the 3rd? It can't be the 4th or 5th or...
If money could talk, it would say goodbye.

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #1063 on: 21 January 2021, 11:29:51 »
I wonder if Alaric will go after opponents of *HIS* birthright - the Davions, the Lyrans & the Republic? Trying to go one better than old mum & dad by kicking the crap out of Kurita & Liao. That way he can say he's really taken on all opposition and won.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1064 on: 21 January 2021, 11:34:09 »
It's really the 3rd? It can't be the 4th or 5th or...
Well, if you ask the Clans, it is either Second Star League, or Restored Star League as they don't really recognize the Spheroid Second Star League.
But i use Third League as a convenient shorthand to make it clear which one i'm talking about, at least if someone were to see what i wrote without context.

I wonder if Alaric will go after opponents of *HIS* birthright - the Davions, the Lyrans & the Republic? Trying to go one better than old mum & dad by kicking the crap out of Kurita & Liao. That way he can say he's really taken on all opposition and won.
Ah, i forgot that. This actually reinforces the Lyrans and FedSuns joining the Third League. And also provides more fodder for the Lyran Commonwealth to split apart. Part of it accepts Alaric as valid leader. Part of it goes Renegade.
« Last Edit: 21 January 2021, 11:35:49 by Empyrus »
Minis needed for Atlas AS7-K2, Stalking Spider II; Kishi, Oni, Zou, Simian, Quirinus and Centaur battle armor; DI Multipurpose VTOL, Kinnol tank, JES III missile carrier.

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #1065 on: 21 January 2021, 11:48:55 »
Ah, i forgot that. This actually reinforces the Lyrans and FedSuns joining the Third League. And also provides more fodder for the Lyran Commonwealth to split apart. Part of it accepts Alaric as valid leader. Part of it goes Renegade.

But he doesnt need to take them over, just have them acknowledge that he is the Supreme Overlord, that he is the rightful heir to the Lyran throne and if he wanted it he could take it and if they do that the Lyrans can do whatever the hell they want, unless it clashes with the Supreme Overlord's wishes.

CJC070

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1066 on: 21 January 2021, 12:01:21 »
The Ghost Bears are a big question and considering the disparity of the two sides I hope they actually stay separate just because of the size of their expanding Touman can make the difference on either side.

FenderSaxbey

• Corporal
« Reply #1067 on: 21 January 2021, 12:16:35 »
It'll be Skye. It's always Skye.

Ogra_Chief

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1068 on: 21 January 2021, 12:30:43 »
It'll be Skye. It's always Skye.

Perfect opportunity for some new GDL shenanigans.
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1069 on: 21 January 2021, 12:57:54 »
Perfect opportunity for some new GDL shenanigans.
Amusingly the new Ricol is unlikely to be Clan-friendly.

Agathos

• Sergeant
« Reply #1070 on: 21 January 2021, 14:41:32 »

Overall, this would lead to the Inner Sphere divided roughly between two major factions (Star League and Renegades) but i don't think either would also be truly unified, so there's good potential for backstabbing and politics and whatever.

I rather hope the Inner Sphere doesn't become quite so neatly divided between two major factions, or if it does go that way I hope that "backstabbing and politics and whatever" leads to major crackups every few years. I like the model of the anti-Clan alliances of roughly 3050-3061. We had former enemies joining hands and fighting the good fight, but we also had the Comstar schism, the Chaos March, and the opening shots of the Capellan-St. Ives War.

Battletech is just more fun when everybody's guns are pointed in multiple directions. Stable, long-lasting coalitions are boring.

CJC070

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1071 on: 21 January 2021, 16:29:06 »
I rather hope the Inner Sphere doesn't become quite so neatly divided between two major factions, or if it does go that way I hope that "backstabbing and politics and whatever" leads to major crackups every few years. I like the model of the anti-Clan alliances of roughly 3050-3061. We had former enemies joining hands and fighting the good fight, but we also had the Comstar schism, the Chaos March, and the opening shots of the Capellan-St. Ives War.

Battletech is just more fun when everybody's guns are pointed in multiple directions. Stable, long-lasting coalitions are boring.

Unlike the Jihad or Clan invasion it will not be so cut and dry.  The Fedsuns and Lyrans want to rebuild and if Alaric does not want a four or more front war he will have to bribe several opponents NOT to fight him. 

With the current literature I look at the iClan era I see more Succession War less us vs them.  Yes there will be alliances as well as betrayal, back stab, and at least one ruler being “three fries short of a happy meal” that is not Liao.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #1072 on: 21 January 2021, 17:22:18 »
Alternative B for the ilclsan era could be that ther Eos only 1 ilclan... until said ilclan is exterminated. That would be funny.

Dr. Banzai

• Sergeant
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
    • Coming Soon!
« Reply #1073 on: 21 January 2021, 18:03:49 »
Here's hoping Alaric decides to bring the houses under his control. I was love when a character like Alaric truly stokes the fire and pisses off everyone around him. Either that or he sets up buying K-F drives from the Foxes to keep the wall up for 100 years.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1074 on: 21 January 2021, 19:06:37 »
Well, i think there maybe couple possibilities of mischief.  Capellans storming the Fortress soon it goes down before Alaric is ready. Didn't they say there only months left to the Fortress's technology? Hell's Horses being either aggressors to remove Alaric from power,
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kerfuffin(925)

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1075 on: 21 January 2021, 19:45:34 »
Here's hoping Alaric decides to bring the houses under his control. I was love when a character like Alaric truly stokes the fire and pisses off everyone around him. Either that or he sets up buying K-F drives from the Foxes to keep the wall up for 100 years.

Davions and Ghost Bears can get through. Whatever Mongol diehards know they can sell. Sea fox will learn shortly, and spread to various other factions via the SharkFoxes general dispersal pattern, they sell it or it’s spied away from them.

If he keeps it up he’ll probably just die behind a nice wall instead of outside a nice wall (or what’s left of it)

Drewbacca

• Captain
« Reply #1076 on: 21 January 2021, 22:39:44 »
I know I am probably odd man out here, but what I would like to see is the following:

A brief period of intense action which sees the new Star League formed from the clans, combining Alarics ideals and lessons learned by the Bears and Ravens, after the houses (and if necessary the Horses but I hope it does not come to that) are cowed into line.

Then I would like to see a period of relative peace, maybe a campaign against the periphery states in a Reunification War 2: Opressive Bugaloo, and a cleaning of house of the less than stellar leaders in the new Leauge (Daoshen, the man behind the scenes in the combine who's name I can never remember, and maybe a REAL Marik coming to power in the League.

The Home Clans making a play and getting stopped but not destroyed leading to...

Growing local power in the old successor states bringing down the ilClanship but in this case they MAINTAIN CONTROL OF THE HEGEMONY WORLDS!!!! Seriously just because there is a power in the middle of the map does not mean there is less conflict. Hell, you would have five new borders to fight along. The Hegemony Worlds become a new clan/ star league rump state that uses raids to keep the IS powers of balance while trialing against each other under the control of an ilKahn, while the IS powers deal with a core region they can't conquer without weakening their other borders and raid each other.

That is my two cents and wishes for the future.

GuyIncognito

• Corporal
« Reply #1077 on: 21 January 2021, 22:44:24 »
A 'real' Marik wouldn't get my vote in Parliament. The only useful ones have been the 'fakes'.

Walrus Gumboot

• Corporal
« Reply #1078 on: 22 January 2021, 00:07:14 »
A 'real' Marik wouldn't get my vote in Parliament. The only useful ones have been the 'fakes'.

That's a slander against the Brett-Mariks.

And Old Man Janos too, I suppose.

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #1079 on: 22 January 2021, 00:16:15 »
All era Mariks should take exception.

Register