Register Register

Author Topic: Hour of the Wolf Discussion - SPOILERS  (Read 49397 times)

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
Re: Hour of the Wolf Discussion - SPOILERS
« Reply #1170 on: 24 January 2021, 18:10:28 »
Not sure I’d buy that. Probably more along the lines of a couple hundred Falcons against a few million angry and/or fanatical soldiers and civilians willing to die to take an enemy with them.

While not new tech, this is something generally confined to the taurians. So we’ll call it rediscovered lostech  :))

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1171 on: 24 January 2021, 18:19:06 »
I mean, I'm all for the FWL charging in and reclaiming Wolf planets, even if it's an awful decision that doesn't work out for them in the short or long term.

The geo-political landscape resulting in the best decision for the FWL being to not get involved would be irritating for very similar reasons to FASA's handling of the FWL in the 90s.

I'm not suggesting that's what's going to end up being the case, but you at least see why that would be irritating, right?
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1172 on: 24 January 2021, 18:55:21 »
I'd prefer that FWL will act but only once things have stabilized a bit. No sitting out stuff like during 31st century, but neither something silly like getting splintered because they backed the wrong faction... Back the right one, and lead the charge!
Minis needed for Atlas AS7-K2, Stalking Spider II; Kishi, Oni, Zou, Simian, Quirinus and Centaur battle armor; DI Multipurpose VTOL, Kinnol tank, JES III missile carrier.

Agathos

• Sergeant
« Reply #1173 on: 24 January 2021, 20:46:25 »
Not sure I’d buy that. Probably more along the lines of a couple hundred Falcons against a few million angry and/or fanatical soldiers and civilians willing to die to take an enemy with them.

Could also be as simple as every conceivable landing zone being turned into very extensive minefields. Or entire cities done that way.

On the last page of Rock of the Republic, Stone definitely thought there were some promising and dangerous new weapons in the lab at Redoubt Fuji, and Levin seemed to agree. But in Hour of the Wolf he never mentions them, and attributes the win to those minefields and prepared positions. Not sure how future products are going to square that circle.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #1174 on: 24 January 2021, 20:52:23 »
Gotta save something for ilClan?

Ruger

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1175 on: 24 January 2021, 20:57:59 »
On the last page of Rock of the Republic, Stone definitely thought there were some promising and dangerous new weapons in the lab at Redoubt Fuji, and Levin seemed to agree. But in Hour of the Wolf he never mentions them, and attributes the win to those minefields and prepared positions. Not sure how future products are going to square that circle.

Could be biological/chemical weapons were used too. Combine that with the other ideas, and yeah, an invasion force is likely to be wiped out. Poison the water and food supplies and allow them to be captured. Implant bombs inside people and animals, and infiltrate them in behind the lines. Set explosives in with fuel supplies to get captured.

Or just set these types of things up within and on both sides of your positions, and set them off when the invaders overrun your positions. Program your ‘Mechs, tanks, bases to detonate when captured.

There are many ways to kill an enemy.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1176 on: 24 January 2021, 21:19:10 »
The geo-political landscape resulting in the best decision for the FWL being to not get involved would be irritating for very similar reasons to FASA's handling of the FWL in the 90s.

I'm not suggesting that's what's going to end up being the case, but you at least see why that would be irritating, right?

Not sure that can really happen, the Anduriens & Canopians are pushing the non-aligned worlds.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

GreekFire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #1177 on: 24 January 2021, 21:26:13 »

Sure. I'm strongly for the FWL retaking Wolf worlds, even if it fails and they get burnt for it, just because I dislike the idea of having a power be able to strip every last bit of military force from their borders to do something consequence free.

Heck, it doesn't even have to be straight-up conquest. Have some of the planets try to overthrow their Wolf administrators. Like the Republic worlds the Wolves just conquered--if the Wolves brought all of their military to Terra, some of those recently conquered planets would probably attempt to re-establish some sort of Republic rule, right? Or Solaris. There's gotta be some sort of underground resistance there that'd fight to go independent again.

And heck, for all the Lyrans/League knows the Wolves have abandoned yet another OZ to go setting in some other part of the Inner Sphere...again.

I guess Alaric could send out some sort of warning to Lyran/League leadership saying "don't touch those worlds, I'm just stepping out to grab Terra, I'll be back"--at least then it'd be somewhat justified for those two somewhat fragile Successor States to hang back for a while. But if no message goes out, how long can the two states avoid taking over any of their ex-planets before things get a bit silly?
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Looking for a write-up on your favorite 'Mech? Check this out: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0
Want to know which 'Mechs haven't been covered? Take a look at this: http://pastebin.com/9LNAMhFC
Interested in requesting or writing a 'Mech of the Week article? Come join us over here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55619.0

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #1178 on: 24 January 2021, 21:40:02 »
Was there any new Tech introduced in this novel.   I feel like Ray said something about new gear that is an upgrade to gear you hate to use, but nothing jumped out at me.

Jian might have something it is meant to be tactically new... If the description wasn't virtually that of the NL42.
And it's Elementals are described as having new space adaptions. Almost like a Space Elemental.

FaithBomb

• Warrant Officer
    • Faith's Fanfic and Blog
« Reply #1179 on: 24 January 2021, 22:00:20 »
Not sure that can really happen, the Anduriens & Canopians are pushing the non-aligned worlds.

Magistracy needs some love!
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

MarauderCH IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1180 on: 24 January 2021, 22:26:59 »

Maybe the RISC weapons mentioned in Shattered Fortress?

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #1181 on: 24 January 2021, 22:55:59 »
unless there are new RISC weapons, most of them were a flash in the pan and gone by the end of the 3140s per the tables in IO

rebs

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I agree to disagree.
« Reply #1182 on: 24 January 2021, 23:38:33 »

So do the Sea Foxes. 

Maybe once we solidify things in the FWL, we could work on making contacts (and contracts) in the Magistracy.  Then the Canopians can unhook themselves from the Cappies.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1183 on: 25 January 2021, 15:51:43 »
Be interesting to see new tech beyond MWDA.  Be bold, be true, give us something to look forward too!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1184 on: 25 January 2021, 16:09:14 »
Be interesting to see new tech beyond MWDA.  Be bold, be true, give us something to look forward too!

Tripods, Quad-Vehs, specialized armors, WiGE, glider Protos, partial wings, HVACs, RISC tech . . . we have gotten new stuff.  Most of it is not used/frowned at by players which IMO is reflected in the RecGuides being 'BMM only, almost.'  Considering its 'mech, mechs, and more mechs' I do not think we are going to get anything crazy.
Colt Ward

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #1185 on: 25 January 2021, 16:13:50 »

I feel like tech beyond the Ilclan should just be a reset. Like all the new armors will get combined and be called "Armor."

Then they can bring in the rotary gauss rifles.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #1186 on: 25 January 2021, 16:18:21 »

Yeah, the Sea Fox, Ghost Bear and Free Worlds League chapters in hour of the Wolf are really disappointing.

Alaric and Stone are apparently the only people in the Inner Sphere who can have a long term plan.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1187 on: 25 January 2021, 16:40:17 »
Agreed.  This is one of the most interesting factions in the universe.  It will be interesting to see what effect Danai Liao-Centrella has on the Capellans when she takes the throne from Daoshen.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1188 on: 25 January 2021, 20:02:54 »
Agreed.  This is one of the most interesting factions in the universe.  It will be interesting to see what effect Danai Liao-Centrella has on the Capellans when she takes the throne from Daoshen.
Be interesting if her ascension to the throne will usher merge into a grand Capellan alliance of some kind.  Doashen is on the Fortress border waiting to jump to Terra.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #1189 on: 25 January 2021, 20:23:37 »
Daoshen definitely wants to bring moc and andurien under the capellan umbrella. Little does he know that andurien is a toxic pollutant that poisons anything it touches

The Humphreys will succeed where Hanse failed

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1190 on: 25 January 2021, 20:26:51 »
The Humphreys will succeed where Hanse failed

How?  It is one of the ruling lines, afawk, is dying out.

Besides, it is Ilsa who holds the whip in that neoTrinity.
Colt Ward

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #1191 on: 25 January 2021, 20:30:52 »
It’s an andurien sucks joke try to keep up

Starfury

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1192 on: 26 January 2021, 02:51:18 »
Hopefully the Taurians will manage to get the band put back together. 

Kojak

• Major
  • Neither sleet nor hail nor LRMs
« Reply #1193 on: 26 January 2021, 05:14:09 »
I do hope the reunited Taurians get some screentime under the auspices of the ilClan. They haven't really gotten to do much in the Dark Age, it feels like, and while they got thrashed in the Jihad ultimately, they at least got to have a thoroughly involved plotline in that era.
"Get me some tribal drums and some wordless chanting or get the ****** out."
- Me, on the comparison of the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack to all other Mechwarrior soundtracks

"Tragically, all the Taurians have is Mister Pibb. It's why they're so angry all the time."
- Liam's Ghost

Liam's Ghost

• Major
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1194 on: 26 January 2021, 05:44:07 »
I feel like screentime for Taurians during the IlClan era will be ugly for all involved. Since Alaric doesn't like being told no and Taurians don't like being told anything.

"...and the band played waltzing matilda..."
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #1195 on: 26 January 2021, 08:32:33 »
Then they can bring in the rotary gauss rifles.

We already got them: HAGs.
I have spoken.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1196 on: 26 January 2021, 08:46:20 »
We already got them: HAGs.
We can make them worse, just add jam-chance  8)
Minis needed for Atlas AS7-K2, Stalking Spider II; Kishi, Oni, Zou, Simian, Quirinus and Centaur battle armor; DI Multipurpose VTOL, Kinnol tank, JES III missile carrier.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1197 on: 26 January 2021, 08:49:30 »
I feel like screentime for Taurians during the IlClan era will be ugly for all involved. Since Alaric doesn't like being told no and Taurians don't like being told anything.

"...and the band played waltzing matilda..."
Reunification War II: Taurian Last Stand.  If they act tge way they did in the past. Taurians are to fiat wise psycho paranoid to be a functional government. The Protectorate was but I dont know if that will be enough to overcome.  The Taurians were cool at end of the Succession Wars and Age of War era

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #1198 on: 26 January 2021, 09:07:13 »
We can make them worse, just add jam-chance  8)

If you truly want to get worse, how about ER Heavy Variable-Speed Pulse Lasers?   >:D
I have spoken.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #1199 on: 26 January 2021, 09:16:38 »
re-engineered er heavy variable speed pulse lasers