Register Register

Author Topic: How much power doesan Engine make?  (Read 1694 times)

Wheturangi

• Recruit
How much power doesan Engine make?
« on: 04 December 2021, 21:11:54 »
I have been thinking about this.
Does anyone know how much power (Kw) a Battlemech engine makes.
Say a standard Vlar 300 as a reference.
Havent been able to find out exactly how much an engine makes.
Surely someone knows or done the math.

Thanks in advance.

I'll keep searching.

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: How much power doesan Engine make?
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2021, 21:22:13 »
it one of those places where "it depends" really is the best answer.

you can calculate a fairly accurate guestimation based on reasonable power transfer/conversions to convert into effective movement power.

on the other hand when you start looking at the power needed for energy weapons ... you are looking at the engine rating in megawatts as a minimum output

General308

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2021, 21:36:40 »
As much the plot needs

ANS Kamas P81

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2021, 22:38:54 »
As much the plot needs
You mean "wattever the plot needs"

Wheturangi

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2021, 01:44:24 »
it one of those places where "it depends" really is the best answer.

you can calculate a fairly accurate guestimation based on reasonable power transfer/conversions to convert into effective movement power.

on the other hand when you start looking at the power needed for energy weapons ... you are looking at the engine rating in megawatts as a minimum output

I thought as much. There isnt any limit for energy weapons on a mech except for tonnage and crits. Nothing at all about energy usage. A MAD-3D is all energy weapons, yet uses the same engine as the ON1-K Orion which is mainly ammo weapons. Same engine, same power output. Guess I will have to work out the kw based on tonnage and movement speed. Only using walking speeds as running speeds round up too much such as 5/8 and 7/11.

So an Urbie, 30 tons at 32.4 kph provides 345.88 kwh.
Thus the Leenex 60 gives us 345.88.
Thus 345.88/60 = 5.7646 kwh for every engine point.
Vlar 300 = 5.7646 x 300 = 1729.38 kwh.

Average US household uses 11,000 kwh a year.

Assume a mech engine runs 3 hours a day, not 24 as you have to maintain the engine too. You wouldnt run your SUV 24/7 to power your house.
Engine point 5.7646 x 3 = 17.2938 kwh per day.
17.2938 x 365 = 6312.237 kwh for the year.
Vlar 300 = 300 x 6312.237 = 1,893,671.1 kwh in a year.
Divided by 11,000 = 172.15 homes a year. All from the engine of an Orion or a Dragon.

Not bad for something that you arent running 24/7.

thats my very guessimation maths today. Now back to thinking about things.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2021, 02:26:39 »
1) Please feel free to theorise, but these numbers were pulled out of a hat (hopefully) back in 1984, and mean nothing. So don't go too far down the rabbit hole :)

2) Cheap fusion! And using straight hydrogen, no need for fancy deut or trit. Fluff-wise 'Mechs (with running engines) can be refuelled by splitting water

3) If you really want to try, consider the energy output required for ASFs. There's a clearer relationship between the power needs - that 300 Vlar accelerates a 50-ton ASF at 6G (IIRC), and you can calculate the fuel use. Assume a near-100% effective conversion from energy to thrust ... and remember point 1.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Wheturangi

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2021, 05:03:56 »
Yeah I know, but I blame my engineering background. Then add my logistics and history leanings and I keep trying to make sense of the chaos.

I'm just trying to write something up for fun. Found some shocking bad fanfic I wrote a few years ago. So maybe I'll rework it to make it more bearable.

As for ASFs. I might do that. Battletech is always about my mech smash you and vice versa. Maybe there should be some ASF love out there, but do we really need more Outworlds Alliance yaoi stories?

It's such a rich universe and needs more love and attention and not in an icky Capellan way. I always remember that short story of a young female historian, who is doomed to slavery. Then liberated by the Grey Death Legion (pg 28 of the sourcebook). It always made me think, that even in the 31st century, such evils continued. In RL, I was mortified that it still existed.

Enough babbling, I will put it down to, just make it fit and try not to make it all about your uber Mech. Got something to do this Christmas and have some fun. Best part about all of this is pulling out the old material and looking back at the fond memories. Though it kind of stops at 3060. I kind of gave up after that. I prefer the ol 3025 days, much simpler times. When men were men and XL was a spreadsheet.

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lego Hellbringers are tougher than the real thing!
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2021, 09:48:29 »
Most of you are just focusing on movement of mass and not the power required to run the myomers, actuators, or energy weapons  :D

I think the fusion reactor powers are rated in megawatts at a minimum.  Even the UrbanMech's power plant probably puts out megawatts of energy.

With the construction rules focusing on engine size based on movement alone, I'm guessing that the reactor probably puts out 3-4 times the energy for movement at a minimum if energy weapons take megawatts to run.

This gets more fun when you think about the ICE-powered tanks  ;D
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: 05 December 2021, 10:46:16 »
Think someone did the math on the old forum when someone wanted to plug a salvaged Locust into a city power grid for a short story/scenario. Likewise, it was a bunch of guess work but the big draw of BTUs fusion engines is not much the raw power but their efficiency.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2021, 11:23:56 »
I have been thinking about this.
Does anyone know how much power (Kw) a Battlemech engine makes.
Say a standard Vlar 300 as a reference.

Consider this: a 100-rated IC engine with a modest power amplifier or a 100-rated fusion engine could power a half-dozen PPCs, which must output megajoules if not gigajoules of energy (based on the amount of armor they ablate).

On the other hand, either 100-rated engine would only make a 50-ton tank or 'Mech trundle along at 32km/hr, equivalent to a few hundred kilowatts at best.

Conclusion: engines can put out gigawatts when they need to, except when they can only put out a few hundred kilowatts.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #10 on: 05 December 2021, 12:14:51 »
What are power amplifiers, exactly?  Are they additional generators powered by a motor power take-off?
BATTLEMASTER

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 05 December 2021, 13:12:47 »
So an Urbie, 30 tons at 32.4 kph provides 345.88 kwh.
Thus the Leenex 60 gives us 345.88.
Thus 345.88/60 = 5.7646 kwh for every engine point.
Vlar 300 = 5.7646 x 300 = 1729.38 kwh.

Average US household uses 11,000 kwh a year.

Assume a mech engine runs 3 hours a day, not 24 as you have to maintain the engine too. You wouldnt run your SUV 24/7 to power your house.
Engine point 5.7646 x 3 = 17.2938 kwh per day.
17.2938 x 365 = 6312.237 kwh for the year.
Vlar 300 = 300 x 6312.237 = 1,893,671.1 kwh in a year.
Divided by 11,000 = 172.15 homes a year. All from the engine of an Orion or a Dragon.

Not bad for something that you arent running 24/7.

thats my very guessimation maths today. Now back to thinking about things.

One thing you didn't take into account is that that the 30-ton Urbie can get up to 32.4 kph in at most 10 seconds.  This time frame is actually far less since the Urbie can go from standing still to 32.4 kph, while an Urbie that was walking at a speed of 3 the previous turn can also cover the same distance.

So you are going from 0 m/s to 9 m/s, for a mass of 30,000 kg, so you are basically adding kinetic energy (aka work) to the Mech, so the equation is 1/2 * mass (in kg) * change in velocity (in meters/second)^2:
1/2 * 30,000 kg * (9 m/s - 0 m/s)^2 = 1,215,000 J = 1.215 MJ
Since this was done over a period of 10 seconds, Power = Work/Time, so this becomes 121.5 kW

This is assuming perfect efficiency from the fusion engine to the myomer muscles, from the muscles to the terrain, and that you have the full ten seconds to come up to speed.  If you can get up to speed in 1 second, the power used is 10* higher (since it is being needed 10*faster) so the power is 1.215 MW.  If the myomer efficiency is only 50%, that means half the energy going into the myomer is being converted into heat, so the power going in is twice as much, making it 2.43 MW.  Assuming a 60-rated engine, that puts each point as ~40.5 kW.  Assuming the average home uses 11,000 kWhr per year, that is ~1000 kWhr per month, or 33.33 kWhr per day, or 1.4 kWhr per hour. 

So 40.5kW / 1.4 kW per home = ~29 homes per point of engine.  Assuming a basic 10-rated engine, that is 290 homes that it can support.

The other problem is that energy weapons can damage or melt solid plates of armor.  Using the Large Laser as an example (since it damages exactly half a ton of armor), that is 500 kg of material that is damaged enough to no longer be combat viable.  Assuming it is just firing at a sheet of iron, where iron needs 126 kJ/kg, then 1 ton of iron just melted would be 126 MJ, and half of that is 63 MJ per Large Laser shot.  Assuming the fusion plant can provide that power every 10 seconds, that is 6.3 MW for the fusion reactor.  You should be able to make a 30-ton wheeled vehicle with a 10-rated fusion engine, and at least 1 Large Laser in it, meaning that is at least 6.3 MW from a 10-rated engine, aka at least 630 kW per point of engine rating.

Taking that same 6.3 MW10-rated engine, and the same need for 1.4 kW per home, and you get 4500 homes that can be supported.

(The underlined kwh is a measure of total energy, not power generation (1 kwh = 3600 kJ).  Also, since the reactor is only running 3 hours per day, you will need some way to store the power for the other 21 hours.)

What are power amplifiers, exactly?  Are they additional generators powered by a motor power take-off?

From sarna and the Tech Manual, I've figured them as a form of capacitor/transformer/battery setup.

The problem is that a Power Amplifier array for 100 Small Lasers (50 tons total mass) would take up 5 tons.  This provides enough energy for each Small Laser to fire once (aand the Power Amplifiers then get recharged from the ICE or Fuel Cell).

You then get into the Battlearmor Small Laser.  Same damage and range as the 3025-era Mech-scale Small Laser, but the batteries for the BA Small Laser take up 160 grams and provide 30 shots (corrected 4th printing, p348).  So Power Amplifiers would need to mass 5 tons to provide each of the 100 Small Lasers with a single shot, but enough BA batteries to provide a total of 120 shots would need only 640 grams.  If I want to give each Small Laser 1000 shots, that is 640 kg, still less than the 5 tons needed for Power Amplifiers.

DevianID

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2021, 19:12:25 »
Not getting into batteries, as the energy density in batteries make them more useful as bombs then power supplies.

I like to look at heat for 'power' estimates.  The engine in Btech, via observation, gives some baseline energy output (10-20 heat worth of energy) plus a bunch of tonnage for movement systems.  So a 100 rated engine and a 200 rated engine output the same base amount of energy minus the miniscule extra required to move a mech a little faster, and the extra tons between them are a lot of myomer weight (or gear weight, or thrust vectoring weight, ect.)

A 10 rated fusion engine outputs plenty of energy, but running it 'dirty' generates tons of waste heat.  The fuel these engines use are handwaved as being too small to need to track, but as a fusion product once that 10 rated fusion engine hits self sustaining fusion, all you need for more energy is more fuel, and the shielding (heat sinks) to safely contain it.  Thus a 10 rated fusion engine can power any number of medium lasers, but after 3 medium lasers you are burning fuel in excess of the standard shielding the reactor can handle.  You can get it much, MUCH hotter to fire more and more medium lasers, right until the reactor shuts down from overheating.

End result--the power output of fusion engines in battletech is not practically limited by its rating or fuel, but by how hot you want to spike the reactor.

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2021, 21:45:31 »
So it seems to answer the original question, the answer is "How much power do you need?"  :)

And the power amplifier examples above further demonstrate how battle armor ruin a ton of aspects of engineering in BattleTech :D
BATTLEMASTER

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: 05 December 2021, 21:55:11 »
Your saying that as if Battletech had any understanding of real world engineering outside of the mandatory wink and nod.

Honestly, few ask about the lift to thrust ratio UD-4 Cheyenne let alone the power output of the engine. These are questions only nerds ask when they have too much time on their hands. Just chalk it up to the Mr. Fusion we see Doc Brown use to power the Dolarean, it's just a qestion of how much garbage you throw in there.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #15 on: 05 December 2021, 21:58:32 »
Consider this: a 100-rated IC engine with a modest power amplifier or a 100-rated fusion engine could power a half-dozen PPCs, which must output megajoules if not gigajoules of energy (based on the amount of armor they ablate).

On the other hand, either 100-rated engine would only make a 50-ton tank or 'Mech trundle along at 32km/hr, equivalent to a few hundred kilowatts at best.

Conclusion: engines can put out gigawatts when they need to, except when they can only put out a few hundred kilowatts.

Many years ago, I remember seeing something that was either by you or attributed to you that stated that an ASF engine produced enough power to light up most of North America, IIRC.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

DevianID

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 05 December 2021, 22:33:09 »
I can see an ASF engine completely revolutionizing modern energy production/consumption.  The energy product of a single engine isnt measurably limited, BUT to power an electrical grid you are gonna need many cooling towers and a stable river keeping the heat output from the reactor under control.  So, a big nuclear reactor that skips the steam turbine part of electricity production sounds pretty reasonable once you assume fusion energy actually works (in 20 years, I promise...  Just like 20 years ago).  The nuclear part of fission reactors isnt the heavy part--heck a nuclear bomb is pretty small and generates plenty of energy per gram of 'fuel'.  Its the equipment to harness the energy and keep it cool that take up space.

Best example I can think of.  A 10 rated fusion engine can power 3 medium lasers/city blocks with a little wiggle room.  To increase it's power output to 4 lasers/blocks, you need to add 2 tons of cooling equipment on top of the .5 ton engine.  Each medium laser/block after that costs 3 tons of cooling equipment.  So after 3 lasers/city blocks, its better to have multiple 10 rated engines as cooling a 'dirty' burning fusion engine is heavier than multiple cool running engines.  BUT, if you only have 1 high tech fusion engine for your city, you can power the whole city with enough lower tech infrastructure and 1 fusion engine.

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #17 on: 06 December 2021, 06:41:31 »
So, a big nuclear reactor that skips the steam turbine part of electricity production sounds pretty reasonable once you assume fusion energy actually works (in 20 years, I promise...  Just like 20 years ago).

Yep, sounds familiar  ;D

Best example I can think of.  A 10 rated fusion engine can power 3 medium lasers/city blocks with a little wiggle room.  To increase it's power output to 4 lasers/blocks, you need to add 2 tons of cooling equipment on top of the .5 ton engine.  Each medium laser/block after that costs 3 tons of cooling equipment.  So after 3 lasers/city blocks, its better to have multiple 10 rated engines as cooling a 'dirty' burning fusion engine is heavier than multiple cool running engines.  BUT, if you only have 1 high tech fusion engine for your city, you can power the whole city with enough lower tech infrastructure and 1 fusion engine.

That gets me thinking more about weapon and equipment heat in-game.  I'm assuming the military fusion plant cooling systems are designed to handle the worst spikes.  The cooling equipment is probably accounted for in the engine mass.  External heat sinks are just for cooling weapons and equipment.

With that in mind, your 10-rated fusion engine in that example can handle any number of lasers just fine.  It's the lasers themselves that are concerned with timely cooldown.

Getting into the weeds is fun!   ;D
BATTLEMASTER

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 06 December 2021, 11:59:40 »
The funny thing is, it is REALLY hard to define.

Heavier engines can move a unit faster.  But lighter engines will tend to power more weapons.

And no, I don't consider the cooling system as fully part of the engine in this consideration, as the weapons of a type all spike an engine equally.  If they didn't spike them equally, heavier engines wouldn't need to spike as much, providing more latent energy, and/or how far you walked or ran would determine your heat, not whether you walked versus ran.

The other thing to consider, while a 400 engine can move a 100 ton faster, there is generally fewer weapons on the unit.  A 300 engine will end up powering more weapons over the 400.  The 200 more than the 300, etc, as the absolute mass of the engine allows for more mass of weaponry and cooling.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 06 December 2021, 16:30:53 »
like I said earlier it really depends.

I agree with the argument that the weapon and equipment heat is largely due to the weapon itself needing cooling rather than the engine mysteriously spiking its output and generating tons more heat.

I mean lets look at a couple extreme examples the ER PPC and the gauss rifle both do enough damage to effectively destroy a ton of armor for all practical purposes, and yet the gauss rifle only causes 1 point of heat and the ppc is 15 granted the ppc is close to a pure energy weapon (firing particles, or arguably a lightning gun) and the ppc is a hybrid physical/energy weapon but the point remains that as we have seen "railguns" use pretty massive amounts of energy to function.

its why its not a totally unreasonable argument to say that a fusion reactor from battletech can generate ~its engine rating in megawatts (ignoring time for a moment) and we have never seen anything that indicates they can't be run for long periods of time, in fact the preponderance of evidence tends to indicate they CAN be run for hours or days straight with little to no issues.

now granted if I was building a power plant in the sense of power generation facility, I would have a minimum of 1 extra reactor to allow for shutting them down for maintenance.  IE lets say your generation plant uses a collection of 300 rated reactor to generate power, and for the sake of argument they need to be shut down for 1 day/month on average then I would want 1 or 2 "spare" reactors for every 30 reactors in the array as a minimum. either that or I would be doing a lot of my work when the load on the power demand was at a minimum or a combination

DevianID

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 07 December 2021, 00:26:26 »
And no, I don't consider the cooling system as fully part of the engine in this consideration
The cooling system is literally the most important metric for power generation we have.  Like you go on to say, smaller engines power more weapons, but larger engines move faster.  The net power between a 200 and 300 is thus pointless to define.

We CAN, however, define that a 10 rated engine, for .5 tons, can power 3 medium lasers worth of 'output', while a 10 rated engine powering 4 medium lasers worth of sustained 'output' requires .5+2 tons, and a 10 rated engine powering 5 medium lasers requires .5+5 tons, again assuming sustained output.  Thus the engine can provide the power, but after 10 'heat' worth of power generation, the heat becomes a larger limiting factor than the engine's power output.  Since engines in real life must account for infrastructure when factoring their sustained energy output (as otherwise the 'engine' of a nuclear reactor is 5 grams--obviously not true), likewise in btech the output on a fusion reactor is only logically limited by the heat infrastructure supporting it.

Edit: Simple example.  A Thunderbolt with 15 heatsinks can manage to sustain 15 heat during power production for at least the 2-3 minutes of standard combat.  This is 50% more sustained power than the Orion, which has a 40 higher rated engine.  The peak power a thunderbolt can output before shutting down is 45 heat worth in 10 seconds, which is only 12.5% more peak power than the Orion who shuts down at 40 heat generated in 1 turn.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2021, 00:34:04 by DevianID »

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 07 December 2021, 00:53:59 »
The cooling system is literally the most important metric for power generation we have.  Like you go on to say, smaller engines power more weapons, but larger engines move faster.  The net power between a 200 and 300 is thus pointless to define.

You might have a point if the entire cooling system was set according to the capacity of the engine, but it isn't.  You have to add more to the engine to get it to cool more, and they are modular.

Not to mention, altering the cooling system without adding mass alters that capacity without changing the rating of the engine.
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

DevianID

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 07 December 2021, 01:26:25 »
I dont understand your point Charistoph.  I am saying that the fusion engine makes infinity-1 energy, no matter what your rating is, so long as you have the infrastructure to harness it.  This is because a 10 rated and a 400 rated engine can make the same amount of (near) limitless weapons fire--if you can cool them.  The limiting factor on how much energy you can pull from your self sustaining fusion sun is based on how much of the waste heat from the engine you can manage.  Heat is a product of energy production, and if you draw more power you make more heat.  The engine rating does not appreciably change how much energy a fusion reactor can make.

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 07 December 2021, 01:56:00 »
I dont understand your point Charistoph.  I am saying that the fusion engine makes infinity-1 energy, no matter what your rating is, so long as you have the infrastructure to harness it.  This is because a 10 rated and a 400 rated engine can make the same amount of (near) limitless weapons fire--if you can cool them.  The limiting factor on how much energy you can pull from your self sustaining fusion sun is based on how much of the waste heat from the engine you can manage.  Heat is a product of energy production, and if you draw more power you make more heat.  The engine rating does not appreciably change how much energy a fusion reactor can make.

Heat is energy in and of itself.  You're making assumptions based on poor data.  You're assuming that Heat is only due to the engine spiking.  The concept doesn't work. 

If that's what it was, then a Locust walking it's full speed would be generating more heat than a running Atlas.  But that's not the case, a running Atlas with an engine that is almost twice the rating of the Locust will be generating twice as much heat as a Locust taking a stroll which is moving almost twice as fast.

A Gauss Rifle which relies on power generated by the engine wouldn't be generating less heat than an Autocannon or Missile System which have their own self-generating power systems (i.e. propellant).

More massive Engines would have greater cooling by default to account , but instead, it is only 10 heat sinks, and those can be Single or Double.  While adding in Heat Sinks during its base construction MIGHT not have those Heat Sinks take up space in the interior, the Heat Sink mass is already included in the Engine's mass.  Not to mention, those Heat Sinks are modular and can be swapped out as part of an Omnimech's kit.

The only way for this concept to work is that all that extra mass between a 10 rating Engine and a 400 Engine is pure cooling which allows it to process the heat of the miniature star it contains such that they all operate at a cooling parity.  But that concept doesn't work either once one introduces Double Heat Sinks which should operate much like XL Engines, but one can have XL Engines with Single Heat Sinks, and Standard Engines with Double Heat Sinks.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 07 December 2021, 04:27:01 »
You might have a point if the entire cooling system was set according to the capacity of the engine, but it isn't.  You have to add more to the engine to get it to cool more, and they are modular.

Not to mention, altering the cooling system without adding mass alters that capacity without changing the rating of the engine.

the other thing that is different with modern vs battletech is that modern power generation includes thermal cycle steps.
when you use magnetohydrodynamics to generate power you skip the whole thermal waste step (mostly)

look at it this way.  most modern power generation you do something to generate heat, then you use the heat to boil water, and use the steam to spin a turbine.  this generates power and waste heat, I believe in some of these designs you may also use a stirling engine to "scavenge" some of the waste heat to generate more power, but most don't bother.

the whole point is with a MHD power loop you pull some of the plasma out of the fusion core, run it through a magnetic loop, where because its magnetic plasma it induces electron movement creating power, and then the somewhat cooled plasma is channeled back into the reactor core where it is re"heated"" and it cycles around again

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #25 on: 07 December 2021, 06:39:27 »
the other thing that is different with modern vs battletech is that modern power generation includes thermal cycle steps.
when you use magnetohydrodynamics to generate power you skip the whole thermal waste step (mostly)

look at it this way.  most modern power generation you do something to generate heat, then you use the heat to boil water, and use the steam to spin a turbine.  this generates power and waste heat, I believe in some of these designs you may also use a stirling engine to "scavenge" some of the waste heat to generate more power, but most don't bother.

Most modern power plants do this.  Combustion turbine power plants generate power not only from the main combustion turbine, but heat recovered from the combustion turbine's exhaust heats steam to run another turbine, generating more power.  These are called combined cycle power plants and are at least 70% efficient because of heat recovery being used to make power.

This could work for MHD fusion reactors too.  Can you imagine a small MHD fusion reactor providing power and hot water for your home?  I'd love something like that  :smitten:
BATTLEMASTER

DevianID

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 08 December 2021, 06:58:13 »
Heat is energy in and of itself.  You're making assumptions based on poor data.  You're assuming that Heat is only due to the engine spiking.  The concept doesn't work
Charistoph either I didnt explain myself properly or you didnt understand what i am saying, because your response does not apply to what I am saying at all.

Heat is energy.  The engine, of any size, can produce 1000 heat (energy) or 100000 heat (energy) no problem.  However if the heat (energy) produced is greater than 30+heat sink infrastructure, the engine shuts down.  If the engine shuts down, your energy production is now 0.

Thus, the thermal cooling ability of an engine, as in extra tons spent on heat sinks, play a much bigger role in sustained engine power than the engine rating itself.

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 08 December 2021, 12:08:57 »
Charistoph either I didnt explain myself properly or you didnt understand what i am saying, because your response does not apply to what I am saying at all.

Heat is energy.  The engine, of any size, can produce 1000 heat (energy) or 100000 heat (energy) no problem.  However if the heat (energy) produced is greater than 30+heat sink infrastructure, the engine shuts down.  If the engine shuts down, your energy production is now 0.

Thus, the thermal cooling ability of an engine, as in extra tons spent on heat sinks, play a much bigger role in sustained engine power than the engine rating itself.

But you're also saying, or implying rather heavily, that Heat is matching its output, which is not the case in every point, and several points actually going against it.

I disagree immensely that a fusion plant has infinite energy.  If that was the case, then you wouldn't need a 400 engine to run a Kodiak, as a 100 would do it fine, just at a higher heat level for movement.  Instead, if you put a 100 Engine in to a Kodiak, it's walking speed drops to a quarter and its running speed to a third.  Gauss Rifles would generate more heat than even the AC/20 due to it requiring engine power to fire as opposed to the propellant of the round.

DevianID

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 08 December 2021, 14:04:00 »
A 100 engine would allow a Kodiak to fire all its weapons no problem.  You would have 20+ tons less of engine, but the in game effect of a 20+ ton lighter engine is less myomer for movement, and more bulky/less dense heat dissipation.

Just because the 100 engine can produce the electricity doesn't mean you dont need the extra muscles to move--it must be those muscles in a mech that make up a lot of the engine tonnage.

As for a gauss energy consumption, remember they explode when hit.  I don't know how long it takes to charge a gauss up, but they have a LOT of stored energy inside them, and that energy is still in there when a mech shuts down (since gauss explode even if the mech is off)

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
    • MegaMek Project
« Reply #29 on: 08 December 2021, 14:24:12 »
Just because the 100 engine can produce the electricity doesn't mean you dont need the extra muscles to move--it must be those muscles in a mech that make up a lot of the engine tonnage.

That's something I haven't thought of - myomers and actuators making up engine mass and being abstracted as such.  I'm fine with that :)
BATTLEMASTER