Register Register

Author Topic: How should I finish this lance?  (Read 1088 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
How should I finish this lance?
« on: 12 January 2022, 18:09:17 »
Had an idea for a Lyran Commonwealth lance based on the new minis.  So far I've got an Atlas, a Banshee, and a Zeus but I'm drawing a blank for what to choose for the 4th me.

I want an assault lance that can fit into any era from the Succession Wars (when the Zeus is introduced) forward.  And if possible I'd like it to be a mech produced by Defiance Industries but that's not as vital.  I'd prefer not to double-up on mechs, either, though I'm considering putting in a second Zeus if nothing else catches my eye.

Anyone got suggestions?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

CJC070

• Warrant Officer
Re: How should I finish this lance?
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2022, 18:22:09 »
According to sarna.net they have built Stalkers and that will help give you missiles to go with your PPCs.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Not smarter than a fifth grader
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2022, 18:35:37 »
if you're willing to accept a flashman, they're built at defiance (7K until the mid 3050s then the 8K)

for a fourth assault you'll have to search elsewhere. besides the three you listed, LC doesn't build another assault mech continuously throughout the timeline. You could take a BLR-1S, LGB-0W/7V, or STK-3F and give the "upgrade kit" treatment over the years

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Part of the fanbase: I have very fringe interests
Same part of the fanbase: Why are my interests not specifically catered to and legitimized by canon?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2022, 19:42:24 »
The only problem with the Flashman is that aside from the Succession Wars downgrade it doesn't match the speed of the others and having a mech that's a 5/8 in a lance with mechs that are 3/5 is problematic.  The Stalker is something I've considered, as is the Longbow.  I'm not feeling like I have to have a Defiance mech or an assault mech, I just got the idea of what if I could do it.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2022, 20:46:06 »
I dunno I put a single maneuver element in lances all the time. 2/3 would be the only problematic speed.

Having something that spans from the succession wars to on significantly limits your choices

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Same part of the fanbase: Why are my interests not specifically catered to and legitimized by canon?

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2022, 22:19:49 »
I dunno I put a single maneuver element in lances all the time. 2/3 would be the only problematic speed.

Having something that spans from the succession wars to on significantly limits your choices

Agreed.  Something like an OstScout or Spider would be amazing for helping out with providing indirect fire targeting solutions.

However, if you want to keep a little weight in there, going with one of the 55s or a Quickdraw.  They'll have a bit more armor to survive going behind the hills, and still get there more easily than the rest of the lance.

For a while, I generally preferred going as heavy as possible, but I've found myself being outmaneuvered way too often.  Having 4 Atlases don't matter much if Spiders are destroying all your Rear Armor and getting crits in to your armor bins.  This gets even better if you can start including C3 in to your force.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2022, 23:01:09 »
BattleMaster or Archer would fit the LC feel, if not produced by Defiance.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2022, 23:21:24 »
Four Suggestions:

The Highlander HGN-733 was available to the Lyran Commonwealth during the SW.

Battlemasters was also popular enough in Steiner space at that time (Angela Frank's last stand is one of my favorite stories the old House Steiner SB)

A well armored heavy like a Thunderbolt would pair nicely with the Zeus.

The Awesome because it's Awesome 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2022, 23:26:25 »
I like the Archer suggestion, actually.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2022, 23:50:50 »

DI makes the Archer on Hesperus.  They also make the Goliath there.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2022, 23:53:15 »
DI makes the Archer on Hesperus.  They also make the Goliath there.

And isn't that a House variant, too?  A little lighter on the LRMs, but stronger in knife range.
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2022, 01:11:03 »
DI makes the Archer on Hesperus.

Well, there we go.

They also make the Goliath there.

Yeah, but the Goliath didn't get good until the Civil War era.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #12 on: 13 January 2022, 01:21:14 »
depending on how picky you want to be, the 2R is built on Hesperus. the 2S is done elsewhere

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2022, 01:35:09 »
It's fine.  Thanks for the help, everyone.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2022, 12:34:00 »
Just a side note:  I fielded a similar 3rd Lyran Guards force in my last game of alpha strike.

Assault Lance was Atlas, Banshee, Zeus, and BattleMaster. The Archer was in my heavy lance.  Company was devastated at the low end but the Atlas, Banshee, Zeus, and Archer all finished the match.  Hope you have fun!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #15 on: 13 January 2022, 17:36:46 »
This is primarily an arrangement to paint up the mechs.  Not necessarily going to play all of them at once but I like painting my minis based on themes.

Charlie Tango

• Big Shoulders Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • Facing Nemesis
« Reply #16 on: 13 January 2022, 18:26:22 »

Late to the party but I'll second the Thunderbolt.  Steiner makes a couple of nice variants through the SW timeframe.
Catalyst Game Labs Demo Agent #310
MW Yuki Yamamori, WTH-1 Whitworth, 1st Striker Star, Alpha Trinary, Battle Corps Legion

"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 13 January 2022, 18:55:49 »
This is primarily an arrangement to paint up the mechs.  Not necessarily going to play all of them at once but I like painting my minis based on themes.

Sitting on my desk at work:

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #18 on: 13 January 2022, 23:10:29 »
Nice!

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #19 on: 13 January 2022, 23:18:38 »
So far I've got an Atlas, a Banshee, and a Zeus but I'm drawing a blank for what to choose for the 4th me.

I want an assault lance that can fit into any era from the Succession Wars (when the Zeus is introduced) forward.  And if possible I'd like it to be a mech produced by Defiance Industries but that's not as vital. 

Common Lyran Heavy/Assault designs in production.
85 Tons =
Battlemaster
Longbow
Stalker

75 Tons =
Flashman
Marauder

70 Tons =
Archer
Warhammer

65 Tons =
Crusader
Thunderbolt

60 Tons =
Rifleman

55 Tons =
Griffin

45 Tons =
Hatchetman
PhoenixHawk

The question is, how can you NOT find a mech in that list  :)
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #20 on: 13 January 2022, 23:45:54 »
You skipped everything after the first post, didn't you?

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 14 January 2022, 00:03:56 »
Yeah, but the Goliath didn't get good until the Civil War era.
Was it even produced as an Introtech unit?
I was thinking the Lyrans only started making it later on & not in the SW era

You skipped everything after the first post, didn't you?
Not at all, I just wanted to give the full list instead of single suggestions.
You mentioned maybe an Archer but it wasn't in the pic so I wasn't sure if it was "finalized" yet.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 14 January 2022, 00:23:27 »
Was it even produced as an Introtech unit?
I was thinking the Lyrans only started making it later on & not in the SW era

It was in TRO: 3025 as the heavier of the two quads in it.  But I don't know if there was Lyran manufactory for them, though. 

That old TRO even mentions a Steiner v Kurita battle managing to be the only record up to that point of Goliath on Goliath, so they did have them, but they are not a common machine anywhere. 

The gent who handles the Random Assignment Tables gives about a 1.8% chance of getting one for an Assault Mech of House Steiner, for what that's worth.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 14 January 2022, 01:08:01 »
It was in TRO: 3025 as the heavier of the two quads in it.  But I don't know if there was Lyran manufactory for them, though. 

That old TRO even mentions a Steiner v Kurita battle managing to be the only record up to that point of Goliath on Goliath, so they did have them, but they are not a common machine anywhere. 

The gent who handles the Random Assignment Tables gives about a 1.8% chance of getting one for an Assault Mech of House Steiner, for what that's worth.

Think Hellraiser was asking if did the Lyran's produce any 3025 models.

Defiance and TharHes didn't start making them until the 3060's (GOL-3S and GOL-4S respectfully) the other manufactures listed are in ether Davion or FWL space with Brigadier being the #1 manufacturer up until Gibson stop being inhabitable.

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 14 January 2022, 12:55:01 »
Think Hellraiser was asking if did the Lyran's produce any 3025 models.

Which is why my answer was stated the way it was.  I was answering the general statement without assumptions, and then stated what I knew about the assumed question regarding production.

I then provided evidence that Goliaths existed within the Lyran Commonewealth, even if I didn't know about how they got there. 

The thing is, Mechs are quite salvageable, which is why one can find Panthers in the Free Worlds League and the Federated Suns.  So being concerned about manufactoring may be too much, but I'm not going to tell a person how to build their force, just give recommendations and maybe opening the eyes to possibilities.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 14 January 2022, 15:03:53 »
We know Lyrans fielded Goliaths and most 3025 mech became almost universal thanks to years of salvage, I was going by the idea the OP was asking about Mechs in production in Lyrans space from SW on outside of the three listed, my apologies if I was mistaken.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 14 January 2022, 22:39:42 »
The OP asked for SW mechs produced in the LC, preferably at DefHes.

Someone said the Goliath was made there.

I was asking if we had confirmation that Defiance made it in the SW era since I was pretty sure the FWL was the only producer in 3025 & it wasn't till the technical renaissance that the FS & LA were able to put it back into production using 3060's tech.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #27 on: 14 January 2022, 23:52:47 »
I was pretty sure the FWL was the only producer in 3025

correct

it wasn't till the technical renaissance that the FS & LA were able to put it back into production using 3060's tech.

also correct