Register Register

Author Topic: Iron Womb Development reported in real life  (Read 698 times)

S.gage

• Lieutenant
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
Iron Womb Development reported in real life
« on: 05 October 2022, 08:53:58 »
Hi all,
I always like to share sci-fi tech development becoming real, cutting edge science. On 25 August, research published in one of the most prestigious journals, Nature, reports creating an artificial womb and growing mouse embryos.
S.gage
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Custom Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Custom Novel Golden Century BattleMechs, Custom Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, Custom First Generation OmniMechs.

elf25s

• Major
Re: Iron Womb Development reported in real life
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2022, 09:19:13 »
Hi all,
I always like to share sci-fi tech development becoming real, cutting edge science. On 25 August, research published in one of the most prestigious journals, Nature, reports creating an artificial womb and growing mouse embryos.
S.gage
i think you may be late by few years there are sheep bag wombs that had been used in experiments in ireland or scotland article was about 7 years back or so
basically it was a plastic bag with semi natural placenta with a circulation system
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

S.gage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2022, 09:53:52 »
i think you may be late by few years there are sheep bag wombs that had been used in experiments in ireland or scotland article was about 7 years back or so
basically it was a plastic bag with semi natural placenta with a circulation system

I’ll have to look that up. Nature does not publish without novelty, perhaps because it is murine or because the scientists essentially used stem cells and induced stem cells to make a more “natural” placenta?
« Last Edit: 05 October 2022, 09:57:52 by S.gage »
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Custom Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Custom Novel Golden Century BattleMechs, Custom Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, Custom First Generation OmniMechs.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2022, 09:56:20 »
Trueborn Elemental Mice when?   ;D
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

S.gage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 05 October 2022, 10:06:27 »

I found it. The difference is the “biobag” also reported in a Nature Publishing Group journal is for premature babies to extend gestation. This new one is capable of developing the embryo at early stages, through gastrulation and neurulation

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 05 October 2022, 20:33:15 »
Cool, but shouldn't this be in Off Topic? ???

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 05 October 2022, 20:54:31 »
I found it. The difference is the “biobag” also reported in a Nature Publishing Group journal is for premature babies to extend gestation. This new one is capable of developing the embryo at early stages, through gastrulation and neurulation

Yeah that's the difference. It only raise the premature baby sheep but it didn't raise an embryo.

Also it is more suited for off topic, of course. It is a good news, though. Even now the mortality during childbirth is a threat, after all. I don't think that many will accept this right now but still it's better than nothing. Even if it didn't used for the full artificial womb it can be used for save and raise premature baby, thus save more people.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: 05 October 2022, 21:05:01 »
Cool, but shouldn't this be in Off Topic? ???

It should. This is as big of a leap as Google AI = Casper Drones vs more annoying chat bots.  xp
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 05 October 2022, 22:00:00 »

Isn't that just a purebred rat?

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2022, 22:38:21 »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2022, 00:38:38 »

Shortly after cold fusion.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2022, 06:29:52 »
Isn't that just a purebred rat?

Good point - nature already found a need for rats and we got them  ;D  I figured they'd be better at powering servers than hamsters as they're bigger and stronger.

Shortly after cold fusion.

They'll figure that out in 20 years - said someone 20 years ago, and someone else 20 years before that  xp
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

S.gage

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 13 October 2022, 19:55:14 »
It should. This is as big of a leap as Google AI = Casper Drones vs more annoying chat bots.  xp

To be fair, I meant this was a step toward Iron Womb tech and I could have phased that better.
However, I stand by this being big news. To put it in context, we have nearly 70 years of improvements in neonatal support technologies for premature infants. Early zygote and blastocyst implantation have also been reported for a while, but only early stages. This is the first time we have reported a system allowing zygote implantation with subsequent development through gastrulation and neurulation. And as we are all aware, it's likely the signaling and environment outside the zygote may be conserved (at least, lots of homologous signaling molecules, etc) between all mammals.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 14 October 2022, 13:27:20 »
There is also this short article from the BBC from 2019 https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-50056405

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 14 October 2022, 13:39:32 »
And also, from wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_womb
On 22 July 1954 Emanuel M. Greenberg filed a patent on the design for an artificial womb.[15] The patent included two images of the design for an artificial womb. The design itself included a tank to place the fetus filled with amniotic fluid, a machine connecting to the umbilical cord, blood pumps, an artificial kidney, and a water heater. He was granted the patent on 15 November 1955.

Makes you wonder what kind of research FASA did when creating the clans or if they just followed ideas from other sci-fi sources.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 14 October 2022, 15:12:00 »

I believe your looking for miniaturized giant space hamsters!
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357