Register Register

Author Topic: Battletech Campaign System from Mercenary's Handbook First Edition  (Read 538 times)

Dahmin_Toran

• Master Sergeant
Has anybody used the Battletech Basic/Advanced Campaign System from the first edition Mercenary's Handbook? It looks to be a very nifty tool to resolve large battles with relatively few dice. You can do anything from a Lance on Lance battle to a large multi-regimental battles. I have been looking at it to see if I can convert to modern-day (Clan Invasion / Jihad / Dark Age / IlClan) campaigns.

I've wanted to incorporate it into my campaigns. While the PCs in their Company are conducting missions, I can roll up to see what the rest of the battalion or regiment is doing without handwaving it.

I can also use it for PCs in a larger organization with leadership roles. They can play their Lances and Companies using CBT or AS, while still making decisions with the rest of the units in the RCT.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Battletech Campaign System from Mercenary's Handbook First Edition
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2022, 10:30:56 »
I like it very much, but recommend changing the metric for raid success to be based on average unit speed, rather than weight.  As written, UrbanMechs make top notch smash’n’grab raiders.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2022, 11:09:19 »
Handwaving with dice is still handwaving, but not a bad idea...  :thumbsup:

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 22 January 2022, 11:48:54 »
The problem I've run into with the system is that it doesn't take into account the experience level of the involved forces. Though that's certainly easy enough to fix with a + or - modifier for the difference in experience between them.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

Dahmin_Toran

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 22 January 2022, 20:41:05 »
I would multiply the Battle Value by a multiplier based on Experience such as 0.75 for Green, 1.0 for Regular, 1.5 for Veteran, and 2.0 for Elite, I would also have similar multipliers for Tech Level (i.e. Inner Sphere, Clan).

Register