Register Register

Author Topic: Mercenaries Kickstart Discussion 2: Contract Negotiations Begin  (Read 67143 times)

Ghaz

• Warrant Officer
Re: Mercenaries Kickstart Discussion 2: Contract Negotiations Begin
« Reply #1080 on: 29 September 2022, 18:22:14 »
Basic Urbie weapons load is 13.5 Tons.  (12+1+0.5)

IS Streak-6s would be 13.5 exactly.
But it also has 11 SHS so w/ Streak heat only coming on a miss, I could see the 11th being dropped for 1 ton of ammo.

Othewise Clan Streaks would easily fit.
ATMs at 3.5 tons would be 10.5 so 3 tons of ammo would be a nice fit.

Regular SRM-6's gives lots of room for alternate ammo at 9 tons + 4 Ammo + CASE?

Regardless of what it ends up being, I'm just glad to see something that isn't an AC10.

Could also be six MML-3 launchers at 9 tons and 12 crits...  ???

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1081 on: 29 September 2022, 19:26:24 »
The plate has the 6 tubes together which is the reason I skipped over MMLs.  Typically they will 'cluster' the tubes in a single plate even if there is more than 1 launcher in a location.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #1082 on: 29 September 2022, 19:31:59 »
AIV variant!?  :( ... or did I miss that, ... wait is that even an official variant or just lots of wish-mongering amongst the horde. *checks sarna* oh, its there.  To bad they can't fit it in w/o doing a near rebuild ... Unless CDS/SF or some other entity manages to stick a Clan version on there!
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1083 on: 29 September 2022, 19:37:03 »
I do not know what else is on the MRM variant compared to a A4 variant, but you could probably convert the MRM30 launcher to a A4 launcher depending on the look you want.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1085 on: 29 September 2022, 22:29:37 »
I know those, but they are built for IWM designs like Timber Wolf & Catapult LRM boxes.  I have not tested one of those plates against the plastic's size.
Colt Ward

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1086 on: 30 September 2022, 01:49:35 »
Different question: anyone game to guess the price for each pack?

I can't see it staying at $25, but would be prepared to be surprised. And do we expect the 8-vehicle packs being priced the same as the 5-'Mech packs?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1087 on: 30 September 2022, 02:24:17 »
I think their goal would be to have the lances & stars stay the same price . . . if the Merc KS boxes are higher priced, the re-prints of the Clan Invasion KS would have their prices raised too.  As for the vehicles . . . $40 a box?  I think the Merc box will cost the same as the Alpha Strike box?
Colt Ward

Death_from_above

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1088 on: 30 September 2022, 05:15:47 »
With regards to the pricing/value, I'm wondering how they are going to "balance" Lance/Star ForcePacks
and Battlefield Support (vees) ForcePacks on the KS pledge/reward level.

1 reward = 1 ForcePack would enable one to choose only Battlefield Support packs and getting more value
(read : plastic crack) as opposed to someone picking Lance/Star ForcePacks..
« Last Edit: 30 September 2022, 05:18:21 by Death_from_above »

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #1089 on: 30 September 2022, 07:23:25 »
With regards to the pricing/value, I'm wondering how they are going to "balance" Lance/Star ForcePacks
and Battlefield Support (vees) ForcePacks on the KS pledge/reward level.

1 reward = 1 ForcePack would enable one to choose only Battlefield Support packs and getting more value
(read : plastic crack) as opposed to someone picking Lance/Star ForcePacks..
In the CI Kickstarter, those who took Inner Sphere Lance packs got an equivalent number of Salvage Boxes to make up for the extra 'Mech that Clanners were getting with each box, so it's possible that they could take a similarly scalable approach. Just as a quick-and-dirty example, you could say one "reward" equals:
  • one Battlefield Support pack
  • two Inner Sphere Lance packs
  • one Clan Star pack and three Salvage Boxes
  • one ComStar Level II and two Salvage Boxes.
Exact numbers will of course vary, as that was just me spitballing, but I could see something along those lines being the case, no?
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1090 on: 30 September 2022, 09:33:48 »
I would not expect a ComStar L2 pack in the rewards.  We have been given no teaser about a ComStar organized release.
Colt Ward

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #1091 on: 30 September 2022, 10:04:46 »
I would not expect a ComStar L2 pack in the rewards.  We have been given no teaser about a ComStar organized release.
Again, it's just an example for the sake of demonstrating a pattern. Don't take it so literally.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #1092 on: 30 September 2022, 11:48:15 »
I'm assuming that since the Vees are smaller it will be a similar amount of "plastic" as you say.
Yes, its more "units" but I assume a box is a box.

Which makes sense when you realize that IWM used to do 2 vees per pack for the price of a mech in MANY of the early vee packs.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1093 on: 30 September 2022, 11:56:31 »
Amount of plastic is basically irreverent, it's pennies either way.

Bigger is assembly (fewer pieces), and vees are typicality winners there. I just don't think it would be enough.

Do we have an estimate how the size of the box compares to a lance pack? Shipping is more relevant than it used to be

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1094 on: 30 September 2022, 12:26:34 »
My guess/hope is the vees will probably need something bigger than a lance box, but, no bigger than a L-II box.

Hmm, actually, going back & looking at the con pictures, definitely need a L-II box or maybe more, some of those minis seem quite large.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2022, 12:29:08 by Hellraiser »

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #1095 on: 30 September 2022, 13:04:01 »
Since they're shorter, they might be able to stack them vertically, though. With four on bottom and four on top, most could easily fit within a lance pack.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

Ghaz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1096 on: 30 September 2022, 14:02:31 »
Different question: anyone game to guess the price for each pack?

I can't see it staying at $25, but would be prepared to be surprised. And do we expect the 8-vehicle packs being priced the same as the 5-'Mech packs?

ACD Distribution has the Northwind Highlanders Command Lance (which is exclusively theirs for the time being) listed at $29.99 and has been for some time now.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #1097 on: 30 September 2022, 14:16:16 »

I agree, and I do not think we will see one, but a surprise pack comprised of reimagined versions of the Fury, Rhino, Kanga, and Zephyr would be pretty cool.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #1098 on: 30 September 2022, 15:24:38 »
How many total units were there for CI? 120-ish?

And how much smaller scaled is "smaller" for the Merc KS? Right now I have 55 different units counted, and it seems like (based on some previous posts) that the lance start packs still need to be rounded out, adding quite a bit more units.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #1099 on: 30 September 2022, 15:33:09 »
My guess, off the cuff, is we're probably looking at high-60s to mid-70s for unit count, not including any out-of-left-field surprises they decide to throw our way.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #1100 on: 30 September 2022, 15:45:19 »
Urbie company is 5 dollars a mech. Although it looks like nothing else is included card wise. So I think the second wave pricing will hold for the mech packs. Vees I would probably guess between comstar (35) and 40 dollars. I probably wouldn’t pay over 45 that being said.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #1101 on: 30 September 2022, 15:46:50 »
ACD Distribution has the Northwind Highlanders Command Lance (which is exclusively theirs for the time being) listed at $29.99 and has been for some time now.

True, but that's through distribution channels. One might hope the KS price is less, but we'll have to wait.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1102 on: 30 September 2022, 15:51:29 »
Wasn't the Dragoons pack like $5/10 more than the stuff in the KS though?

I seem to recall it was the first thing to hit shelves & thinking the price was higher but since its a store exclusive that didn't surprise me much.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #1103 on: 30 September 2022, 15:54:02 »
First KS was nominally $5/mech - $25 for a star, or for a lance pack + salvage box. Which made the C* boxes a good deal, if only more of the 'Mechs had wider use in different eras.  Would love to see this again; budgeting at base $30/box at the moment, with $40 for vehicle packs.

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #1104 on: 30 September 2022, 15:57:05 »
Force Pack prices have risen from just $5 per-mini to $5 per-mini plus an additional $5 on top. As it's currently priced on the CGL store, the WD Assault Star is thus in line with the current Star Pack prices, though I believe that price predated the increase in standard Force Pack pricing.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #1105 on: 30 September 2022, 15:59:24 »
Again through distribution channels, with 1-3 additional layers trying to make some money out of them. So hopefully KS boxes will be less than retail prices.

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1106 on: 30 September 2022, 16:08:31 »
I mean, I was least half assuming that vehicles are being done by pairs because they are about half the volume of mechs. Which makes a ton of difference in 3D printing and  presume also injection moulding in terms of production cost - and one also assumes that you would, like, fit eight vehicles in the same size box as four mechs; which would, in theory, standardise your packaging box sizes?

That there is an assumption people will use vehicles always in at least pairs seems to be a more unlikely consideration of the two, since the latter reason is basically down to game mechanics and the former potentially involves real-world money and one feels that is more convincing arguement.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Global Moderator
  • Major General
  • Carpe Arcanum Cibum
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #1107 on: 30 September 2022, 16:10:37 »
These aren't printed. The prototypes are, but not the actual production minis. Same for all the CGL plastics.
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"It's just that the Hegemony had one answer to every naval problem. 'I kills it with my battleships.'" - Liam's Ghost
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1108 on: 30 September 2022, 16:14:09 »
Again through distribution channels, with 1-3 additional layers trying to make some money out of them. So hopefully KS boxes will be less than retail prices.

The KS prices were the retail prices when they first hit retail.  The simple unavoidable fact is that everything that requires shipping is more expensive now than it was then.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1109 on: 30 September 2022, 16:17:37 »
These aren't printed. The prototypes are, but not the actual production minis. Same for all the CGL plastics.

That doesn't necessarily change the volume equation, though, given that the most cursory glance at the IMW store confirms that there are a fair number of vehicles (including stuff as big as the behemoth) - not all, granted - which come in pairs for the same sort of price variation as battlemechs. I.e $15-21 for two, as opposed to the same sort of price for one BattleMech.

So I was assuming that, given that the plastics are going to be cheaper, something on the order of the same sort of assumption was not unreasonable.