Register Register

Author Topic: Mercenaries Kickstart Discussion 2: Contract Negotiations Begin  (Read 59341 times)

Ghaz

• Warrant Officer
Re: Mercenaries Kickstart Discussion 2: Contract Negotiations Begin
« Reply #1110 on: 30 September 2022, 16:40:33 »
True, but that's through distribution channels. One might hope the KS price is less, but we'll have to wait.

That's the MSRP and not what they are charging retailers, so that's $7.50 a 'Mech versus $6.25 a 'Mech in the current Inner Sphere Force Packs (Clan and ComStar packs work out a bit cheaper).  I would plan on a similar price increase (percentage-wise) in the Kickstarter.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1111 on: 30 September 2022, 18:18:09 »
In the CI Kickstarter, those who took Inner Sphere Lance packs got an equivalent number of Salvage Boxes to make up for the extra 'Mech that Clanners were getting with each box, so it's possible that they could take a similarly scalable approach. Just as a quick-and-dirty example, you could say one "reward" equals:
  • one Battlefield Support pack
  • two Inner Sphere Lance packs
  • one Clan Star pack and three Salvage Boxes
  • one ComStar Level II and two Salvage Boxes.
Exact numbers will of course vary, as that was just me spitballing, but I could see something along those lines being the case, no?
As the OG IS insurgent, that is NOT how I remember it working.  The price per mini was the same regardless of the lance/star/L2 organization.

Tyrant

• Sergeant
« Reply #1112 on: 30 September 2022, 18:43:56 »
As the OG IS insurgent, that is NOT how I remember it working.  The price per mini was the same regardless of the lance/star/L2 organization.
If you bought them separately, which isn't what he is talking about, they were the same. Lance = $20/4, Star = $25/5, and CS = $30/6. What he is talking about is what you chose for rewards if you pledged something like the Star Colonel. For the pledge levels, if you chose a lance you also got a Salvage Mech. So you got 5 mechs for your choice. If you chose a Star, you got the 5 mechs in the Star. So those two choices were "even". But, if you chose the CS options, you got 6 mechs. So that last option got you 6 for the price of 5, so to speak. And all of that is ignoring the other mechs you got for any particular pledge which further alters the price per mech. Strictly on a price per mech basis the pledges were better than just buying lances/stars/cs sets with Star Colonel (I believe) being the real winner.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1113 on: 30 September 2022, 18:46:08 »
IF you were willing to risk getting a clanner 'mech in that salvage box, sure.  I wasn't.

mdbausemer

• Recruit
  • money makes the mercenary
« Reply #1114 on: 30 September 2022, 18:54:09 »
So if we are all ready for this kick starter to get going and we should be less than a month away, we should all be ready to make this thing go through the roof day one. Getting a chance to flush these out between you tube and most of the forum discussions. Does anyone have any ideas what the structure of the levels will look like. like lance commander, Platoon commander. Logistics maybe as a mechant pack ect.. any ideas?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1115 on: 30 September 2022, 18:56:32 »
If the tank lances are cheaper than 'mechs, I could see a differentiation between "Lance" and "Platoon" commander, sure.

Tyrant

• Sergeant
« Reply #1116 on: 30 September 2022, 20:00:59 »
IF you were willing to risk getting a clanner 'mech in that salvage box, sure.  I wasn't.
That has no bearing on what I said or how it worked. In the scenario he was talking about, he was right about them not having equal costs. I believe most people didn't go out of their way to spend more money so they could avoid Clan mechs.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1117 on: 30 September 2022, 20:08:32 »
Which is also different from the scenario I was working from.  We were both right from our various perspectives.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1118 on: 01 October 2022, 05:41:57 »
Well with Q3 coming to a close soon its now a case of

https://i.imgur.com/SY3rKiJ.mp4

But I can't wait for news about the kickstarter regardless :D
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

thedancingjoker

• Private
« Reply #1119 on: 01 October 2022, 08:43:56 »
If the previous kickstarter was a guide it will be just under a month now before the Mercs one goes live, I'm not sure I'd expect too much more official news before it does so.  I totally agree though, I'm hyped for it and an eagerly awaiting any details I can get my greedy little hands on.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1120 on: 01 October 2022, 09:38:13 »
Yeesh. The last part of this year is for kickstarters it’s seems. Participated in the Dungeons of Drakkenheim one, plan to do the BTech one, was sorely tempted by (but resisted the temptation for) the Leviathans one. And now a friend showed me one going on right now for a new dice concept:

Coin-shaped dice with a ball bearing inside that moves and shows you which number you get went you “roll” (flip) the die. They are going to have all seven standard gaming dice types in multiple different finishes.

The dice goblin in me cries out to get at least one set.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Wargame_insomniac

• Sergeant
« Reply #1121 on: 01 October 2022, 12:25:44 »
First KS was nominally $5/mech - $25 for a star, or for a lance pack + salvage box. Which made the C* boxes a good deal, if only more of the 'Mechs had wider use in different eras.  Would love to see this again; budgeting at base $30/box at the moment, with $40 for vehicle packs.
That makes a lot of sense but a lot of the vehicles look overall smaller than most mechs. And by smaller I am allowing for the vehicles being shorter in height but maybe wider and/or longer. I guess more compact is what I am trying to say. So I am hoping that the vehicle packs are cheaper than $40 - maybe not as cheap as a Lance but hopefully around the cost of a Star or maybe Comstar Level II.

RazorclawXLS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1122 on: 01 October 2022, 13:26:17 »
We should be very careful when discussing about prices for future force packs. Just because someone thinks $40 is an ok, it doesn't mean that others share that opinion.

There are/were people willing to pay $100 ebay prices for the Legendary Mechwarriors pack, that doesn't make it a right price. Yes, those are scalper prices, and yes everything costs more than this time last year.

$40 is not justified at this time, if at all, in my eyes. I personally would have a good sit-down and think it through if this price is OK for the current quality of BT miniatures we are getting, when compared to other miniature lines out there. Especially considering that I have to import everything for Battletech, while I can buy GW stuff at GW EU store prices without shipping, customs, etc. at my convenience.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1123 on: 01 October 2022, 13:36:14 »
With 8 in a vehicle box, that means the price is still $5 per.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

RazorclawXLS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1124 on: 01 October 2022, 14:50:26 »
Why is there a new price being mentioned now and justifications being made about it?

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1125 on: 01 October 2022, 14:52:47 »
Because we're bored and speculation is fun.  I recommend not taking it so seriously
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Wargame_insomniac

• Sergeant
« Reply #1126 on: 01 October 2022, 15:51:02 »
With 8 in a vehicle box, that means the price is still $5 per.
If you will forgive me indulging in a bit of "Reductio ad absurdum" (i.e. showing an absurdity to which it leads when carried to its logical extreme conclusion), would you expect to pay eight times the price of an individual Atlas for a Vehicle Box containing 8 Savannah Masters??

Obviously picked the example of the biggest mech I could think of, and the smallest Vehicle I could think of, off the top of my head, to show why I personally don't think Vehicles should be $5 per vehicle.

The point that others have raised earlier is that the typical/average volume of a mech is larger than the typical/average volumne of a vehicle, stating volume to allow for height, width and length. Is an "average" Mech twice the volume of an "average" Vehicle?? Maybe not.

So I am trying to say that a Vehicle pack (often seemingly with 4 larger and 4 smaller vehicles, on average) should cost less than the equivalent of 8 Mechs but probably cost more than the equivalent of 4 Mechs. Hence why I mentioned the price of an 8 Vehcile Box being similar to a 5 Mech Star or a 6 Mech Level II.

That in my personal opinion is around the right price for a 8 Vehicle Pack.
My opinion, your's or even more pertinently, Catalyst's, may differ.

Ghaz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1127 on: 01 October 2022, 18:18:42 »
The point that others have raised earlier is that the typical/average volume of a mech is larger than the typical/average volumne of a vehicle, stating volume to allow for height, width and length. Is an "average" Mech twice the volume of an "average" Vehicle?? Maybe not.

The 'volume' should be the same regardless of whether it's a 'Mech or a Combat Vee of the same weight.  A medium laser will still take up the same volume regardless of what it is mounted on.  The difference is that Combat Vees can keep all of that volume in a compact space whereas a 'Mech has it spread out a bit more with its arms and legs and such.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1128 on: 01 October 2022, 18:40:47 »
We really need this KS to launch, huh

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1129 on: 01 October 2022, 19:55:09 »
So I am trying to say that a Vehicle pack (often seemingly with 4 larger and 4 smaller vehicles, on average) should cost less than the equivalent of 8 Mechs but probably cost more than the equivalent of 4 Mechs. Hence why I mentioned the price of an 8 Vehcile Box being similar to a 5 Mech Star or a 6 Mech Level II.

That in my personal opinion is around the right price for a 8 Vehicle Pack.
My opinion, your's or even more pertinently, Catalyst's, may differ.

The price of the plastic is pennies, it is the assembly and packaging now that the molds will be made.  A star currently costs about $30 MSRP.  A vehicle box- which will not have Savannah Masters but will have at least 2 pieces w/turret & hull- has less packaging and less assembly than each mech.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #1130 on: 01 October 2022, 19:59:28 »
We really need this KS to launch, huh

But if Catalyst did that, what would people have to speculate on?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1131 on: 01 October 2022, 20:12:12 »

The state of the Inner Sphere in 3155, what are the Homeworld Clans up to, how many mercenary groups are being resurrected, when are the Lyrans and Suns going to (finally) stop having a losing streak, and what is Catalyst going to do next (I predict fighter craft)?

That is the top of my list.  I could go on (and on and on).

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #1132 on: 01 October 2022, 21:06:48 »
The madness sets in in full force.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1133 on: 01 October 2022, 22:10:30 »

Society if fans weren’t given time to speculate

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #1134 on: 01 October 2022, 22:17:45 »
Ugh, everything is way too shiny!  Speculate harder!
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1135 on: 02 October 2022, 22:17:00 »
so do we have a fairly final listing of the new packs (and their content) that will be in the KS? i know that a few of them have been announced recently, but this thread moves so fast sometimes it is hard to keep up.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1136 on: 02 October 2022, 22:22:30 »
so do we have a fairly final listing of the new packs (and their content) that will be in the KS? i know that a few of them have been announced recently, but this thread moves so fast sometimes it is hard to keep up.
Some of the more solid speculation

I'd like an osteon F in that pack, and some protos too, please. Boggart and sprites are first rate irritants.

thedancingjoker

• Private
« Reply #1137 on: 03 October 2022, 02:27:00 »
Since then we have seen confirmation of the Inner Sphere Battle Armor pack that was speculation when that list happened.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #1138 on: 03 October 2022, 08:58:24 »
Since then we have seen confirmation of the Inner Sphere Battle Armor pack that was speculation when that list happened.

Excellent.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1139 on: 03 October 2022, 09:17:08 »

We know there will be a Inner Sphere BA pack . . . I wonder if they might go 2/2 or it will all be IS Standard.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104