Register Register

Author Topic: Modular Armor and Breach Checks  (Read 443 times)

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
Modular Armor and Breach Checks
« on: 07 August 2022, 11:32:48 »
I am about to test an underwater base attack map I've been working on for MegaMek and I was picking some interesting mechs to see what happens. 

One of the choices I wanted to try was some mechs with modular armor.  Which then made something occur to me.  If a section with modular armor takes a hit while underwater (or in vacuum) does it cause a breach check?  On one hand it could cause a flood, on the other hand if this is just armor stacked on top of the regular armor there is an argument that the modular armor should prevent breaches since the mech's actual armor and sealing is still intact. 

So do you have to burn through modular armor armor to cause breach checks? 
I guess in a related question would the harjel repair systems be-able to repair modular armor attached to a mech? 

Also I was able to find a Grim Reaper mech with both modular armor and the poor sealing quirk.  I'm taking it under the sea cause I'm sure it will be hilarious, but it does raise the question if modular armor blocks breach checks does the poor sealing quirk override that functionality? 

I just want to figure out if MegaMek is doing the right stuff as the test goes on. 

I would ask in the rules section but my ex has my books so I can't list the page numbers right now.

AlphaMirage

• Captain
Re: Modular Armor and Breach Checks
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2022, 12:11:40 »
I am going to say no to breach check and self repair. Modular armor is bolted above the actual hull

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2022, 12:22:37 »
I would ask in the rules section but my ex has my books so I can't list the page numbers right now.

Underwater combat TW pg 109; TO:AR pg 193
Modular Armor TO:AUE pg 93

at a glance i'm not seeing anything that directly addresses this question currently in the rules

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2022, 12:27:51 »
Underwater combat TW pg 109; TO:AR pg 193
Modular Armor TO:AUE pg 93

at a glance i'm not seeing anything that directly addresses this question currently in the rules

Thanks for the page numbers
I'll put a post in the rules questions, however I would still love to hear the community thoughts on it since (not complaining) the turn around on the rules section is well not exactly fast (but they do great work)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 07 August 2022, 13:07:35 »
I would argue there's nothing special about modular armor for this rule. Note this:
"With penetrating critical hits or armor-piercing weaponry, resolve such effects based on the capabilities of the underlying armor."
Extending this logic, breach checks are done as usual even if modular armor took the hit.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #5 on: 07 August 2022, 14:34:09 »
I would argue there's nothing special about modular armor for this rule. Note this:
"With penetrating critical hits or armor-piercing weaponry, resolve such effects based on the capabilities of the underlying armor."
Extending this logic, breach checks are done as usual even if modular armor took the hit.

At the same time the logic works the other way.  Without a crit check (TAC) or AP weapons the underlying armor is untouched by hits to modular armor, that don't destroy it.  I could see it either way.   

EDIT: I would be fine with breach checks being required on modular armor hits that TAC or come from AP weapons.  But I feel that might be too crunchy even for TW rules, and There's a rule for that standards.

If we take that statement to it's logical conclusion then HarJel repair systems would be able to repair modular armor in it's section because it relies on the underlying armor, which can be repaired. Are you arguing for that?
« Last Edit: 07 August 2022, 14:36:08 by Iceweb »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 07 August 2022, 14:40:50 »
No, because HarJel II/III Repair system is not part of the underlying armor. Separate piece of equipment, even if it does affect the armor.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Register