Register Register

Author Topic: An Empire Not Alone: The CapCon/FedSuns Discussion from Empire Alone  (Read 4746 times)

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
The new Mariks and the Calderon family may not have any Davion links.

the Mariks are related to the Mariks by marraige, the links are there!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • I can and I will make you use a Garm
    • Master Unit List
Nicol once spoke to the roommate of a Davion

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Nicol once spoke to the roommate of a Davion

What does that make her?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
What does that make her?

Absolutely Nothing!
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
The new Mariks and the Calderon family may not have any Davion links.

I believe any Calderon that realizes that there might be a trace of Davion blood in them burns up due to self nuclear inflammation. Truly remarkable, they are perfect fine one second, and then just a pile of nuclear waste and flames the next.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
the Mariks are related to the Mariks by marraige, the links are there!

What about Thomas Halas his line took over and there is no mention (to my knowledge) a genetic link between him and “the master” Thomas Marik. 

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Templar87

• Master Sergeant
The problem with anyone other than Danai killing Daoshen is that he's not a lead-from-the-front commander.  He's not going to leave Sian.

He has been in the past - during both the Victoria War and Capellan Crusades - and both has moved up near to the front (Liao) with intentions to move closer to be in on the assault on Terra, and and has spent long enough high on his own propaganda (see: his burning the alliance with the Magistracy and Andurien by being an arrogant SOB who doesn't get that "alliance" doesn't mean"They do everything I want regardless of how detrimental to them it is") that I can very easily see him taking to the field (and going by ER 3145, he's still mechwarrior-qualled).

And, well, I maintain that in terms of narrative weight, the order for those most fitting to off Daoshen goes (from most to least) Julian, Danai (once she finally gets the serious-face character development she needs), Nikol.
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”
–First Prince Andrew Davion
"He who has made no mistakes in war has never made war."
- Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne, Marshal of France, 1641

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Yeah . . . to be honest, if his troops manage to get a beach-head I cannot see Daoshen NOT putting down on Terra as a triumphant parade.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

MarauderD

• Major
Yeah . . . to be honest, if his troops manage to get a beach-head I cannot see Daoshen NOT putting down on Terra as a triumphant parade.
If you're saying Daoshen conquers Terra, I think a lot of people will have a stroke.   :o

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • Jade Corsair
The Narrative weight for the CapCon is around Danai.  Her friendship with Nikol, her peace with Julian, and her beef with the Republic.  And with her being the heir to both the MoC and the CC.   CapCon looks like it has most of what it wanted, the recapture of worlds lost to the Republic.  I could easily see Danni seeing Terra as the poison pill it is, winning her disagreement with Daoshen, making a White Peace with Alaric, in order to turn her attention Rimward to enforce her claims on the MoC and repel the Andorrans.   This would, of course, all happen at a very crucial time, allowing the Wolves to escape some sort of Annihilation or complete loss against the Horses, and allow the setup of whatever the ilClan is going to look like in the medium term.

I still think we are going land on a new Grand Council style setup with Terra Replacing Strana Mechty and a small ilKhan state around Terra ala the Republic/Protectorate that is organized and run like the old Kerensky Cluster.

This would be a good way for him to go and have the CC's bug off planet.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
If you're saying Daoshen conquers Terra, I think a lot of people will have a stroke.   :o

Not what I meant . . . it is the PR aspect, the 'glory' of the Confederation.  IF they can even get a beachhead, he will set down, take pictures, call it a win . . . even if his troops get forced off planet.  Consider his example of Sun-Tzu-popsicle who landed on Liao in a unsuccessful bid to take that world back into the Confederation, landing on Terra would allow him to top his father.  Daoshen would pull a Chesterton about his landing/control of Terra.  I would in fact expect the Capellans to target landings in China for that reason.

Yeah, the foreshadowing is that Danai either peacefully or forcefully kicks Bro-daddy to the curb, question is how much of the CCAF gets trashed.  I would also remind the watchers the Dracs & Cappies have now been firing shots at each other so it is not just the Wolves that might trim the CCAF down to size.  Canopus is interesting because in the form of the Regent & her daughter we are getting a alternate Magistrix option for when Ilsa kicks the bucket.  Andurien . . . for all Ari's not wanting to be Ilsa's pawn as the 'weaker' partner in the alliance seems to have succumbed to the influence push.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

MarauderD

• Major
That would definitely be a PR victory for him.  As much as I'm pumped that my slice of the I.S. is up next for a sourcebook, I'm very curious what is going to happen with the CC/Wolves in the future now. 

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
The problem with anyone other than Danai killing Daoshen is that he's not a lead-from-the-front commander.  He's not going to leave Sian.

He already has

Templar87

• Master Sergeant
The Narrative weight for the CapCon is around Danai.  Her friendship with Nikol, her peace with Julian, and her beef with the Republic.  And with her being the heir to both the MoC and the CC.   CapCon looks like it has most of what it wanted, the recapture of worlds lost to the Republic.  I could easily see Danni seeing Terra as the poison pill it is, winning her disagreement with Daoshen, making a White Peace with Alaric, in order to turn her attention Rimward to enforce her claims on the MoC and repel the Andorrans.   This would, of course, all happen at a very crucial time, allowing the Wolves to escape some sort of Annihilation or complete loss against the Horses, and allow the setup of whatever the ilClan is going to look like in the medium term.

Her constant bad faith negotiation with Julian, you mean? Because Danai has never dealt with him in good faith; from inflating a temporary ceasefire in the Marlette system alone (which is what, as Shattered Fortress is written, Julian offered and she professed to agree to) into a general peace in place that she subsequently expects to be taken seriously, to her antics in the negotiations - so-called - on New Syrtis, where she goes from being responsible for Capellan forces on New Syrtis, with the power to bind and loose, to not having any responsibility for the behaviour of troops she's already confirmed she commands and as such is responsible for the behaviour of within the same conversation.

There is no peace between the Suns and Confederation, just Julian having other priorities right now than taking due vengeance out of Daoshen and Danai's worthless hides (and unlike Danai, he actually cares about the good of others).
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • Jade Corsair

Her constant bad faith negotiation with Julian, you mean? Because Danai has never dealt with him in good faith; from inflating a temporary ceasefire in the Marlette system alone (which is what, as Shattered Fortress is written, Julian offered and she professed to agree to) into a general peace in place that she subsequently expects to be taken seriously, to her antics in the negotiations - so-called - on New Syrtis, where she goes from being responsible for Capellan forces on New Syrtis, with the power to bind and loose, to not having any responsibility for the behaviour of troops she's already confirmed she commands and as such is responsible for the behaviour of within the same conversation.

There is no peace between the Suns and Confederation, just Julian having other priorities right now than taking due vengeance out of Daoshen and Danai's worthless hides (and unlike Danai, he actually cares about the good of others).

The New Syrtis peace deal was brokered in effect by the heir of the Confederation (timing subject to HPG Communication Lag).   Blood will Tell has Doashen agreeing to a Mutual Non-aggression state of affairs with the FedSuns despite whatever Rhetoric the propaganda is pushing.  In the same book  Danai clearly sees the priority and a threat to the Confederation coming more from the Republic than from the FedSuns.   Then as you stated Julian has other priorities right now.  With both belligerents having other short term priorities, in the time frame of Dominions Divided (and maybe ilKhan's Eyes) the current state of peace will hold through June 3152ish.

Will there be lasting pieces between Liao and Davion.   Absolutely not! This Battletech where neighbors and targets you haven't attacked before they had a chance to attacked you.   

sadlerbw

• Captain
Late to the party here, but I don't expect to hear a whole lot from the FedSuns in Dominion Divided. I'm thinking it is heavily biased towards the Dominion and the Combine with some Horses and Ravens thrown in for flavor. I expect to hear something about my sunburst boys with regard to the border between Red and Yellow, but more about the Kuritan perspective and what it means for them. I'm expecting to hear about them a little more than we did in Empire Alone just because of the border they share with the Combine and the Wolfs Dragoons leaving it, but I'm still not expecting much. I could be wrong, but making the FedSuns a third major faction covered by the book would mean that darn near half the galaxy was being covered in a single book. That seems like a lot compared to the geographical focus of the first two books.

So, does that mean I expect to see the 4th book focus more heavily on the FedSuns? Honestly, I don't know. The Suns may simply not be a huge player in this particular two-year period. I could see them just being happy to have a break from getting their butts kicked and their worlds taken. It wouldn't be totally unreasonable to see Julian spending as much time as he can rebuilding, rearming, and dealing with internal political re-shuffling during the 3150-3151 timeframe.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
It has been said Dominions Divided is about FedSuns, RasDom, Draconis Combine, and touches upon the Snow Ravens and Taurians.

Dominions, plural, means all the big nations. Not Rasalhague Dominion specifically.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
It's got FedSuns mechs right on the front cover.  Be pretty strange if the FedSuns wasn't a major focus of the book.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MarauderD

• Major
It's got FedSuns mechs right on the front cover.  Be pretty strange if the FedSuns wasn't a major focus of the book.

I think the two major plotlines will be Kurita vs Davion, and Dominion vs. Dominion/Kurita.  The minor plotlines will be Taurian Reunification and Raven Alliance machinations.

Just my gut. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
The minor plotlines will be Taurian Reunification . . .

1 chapter- the two kids got married.  I also expect Filtvelt and Brotherhood of Randis to be present, the former should have a bigger input . . . especially if we hear about their expedition forces finally.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
the seeds for the Filtvelt Supremacy that is ruling the inner sphere by 3250 must be planted somewhere, after all

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
Late to the party here, but I don't expect to hear a whole lot from the FedSuns in Dominion Divided.

The blurb for the book says:

Across the reinvigorated Federated Suns, the call goes out: the time has come to retake the jewel New Avalon from the Dragon, and throw back the Draconis Combine invaders. But the demands of war and politics will test the fragile alliance between First Prince Julian Davion and Prince’s Champion Erik Sandoval-Groell, and threaten to renew the chaos they seek to conquer.

nova_dew

• Warrant Officer
deleted because salty and derailing, nothing to see here, move along  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: 16 August 2022, 08:22:05 by nova_dew »
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

MarauderD

• Major
the seeds for the Filtvelt Supremacy that is ruling the inner sphere by 3250 must be planted somewhere, after all
I like the cut of your jib, sir.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Re: An Empire, If You Can Keep It: Empire Alone Discussion
« Reply #55 on: 15 August 2022, 21:28:18 »
It's important to remember that each of these sourcebooks don't just cover a region; They also cover a time period.  The FedSuns look quiet right now, but in the next sourcebook it could be the Fourth Succession War Part 2. 
  Both the Combine and Confederation have been described as stretched perilously thin.  Julian has bolstered his forces with mercenaries who are being given landholds, which makes them very motivated to win.  Additionally, Julian and the Sea Foxes are very friendly- and guess who has been getting very good at bringing broken HPGs back online. 
  On the Terran front, the Wolves see the Capellans and Combine coming for them, so they may strike both without warning.  They might even do it with the collusion of the Federated Suns.  And some of those ghost paladins might poke the Bears disguised as the Dragon.  Remember how they threw a wrench into things between the Capellans and Combine on Northwind.
Don't forget the Battle Pope!   Who knows how much force the NACC can raise.  Several divisions of pious Outback farmers with IndustrialMechs, tractors, Grandpappy's Federated Longrifle, and some pitchforks, perhaps.  (Though I'm not sure how far TPTB want to lean into the Church Militant theme; the Jihad wasn't that long ago OOC and I doubt they want to get too deep into fantasy religion again.  Honestly I was shocked to see Pope Leo driving a mech at all.)
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Templar87

• Master Sergeant
Re: Re: An Empire, If You Can Keep It: Empire Alone Discussion
« Reply #56 on: 15 August 2022, 22:56:14 »
Don't forget the Battle Pope!   Who knows how much force the NACC can raise.

Well, back when they were originally founded, the Knighrs Defensor could put roughly five battalions of mechwarriors in the field, and I doubt their strength's dropped much from that level (given Harrison's continuous drawdown of the federal guard's BattleMech forces (like the idiot he was), they probably got a boost from there).

sadlerbw

• Captain
It has been said Dominions Divided is about FedSuns, RasDom, Draconis Combine, and touches upon the Snow Ravens and Taurians.

Dominions, plural, means all the big nations. Not Rasalhague Dominion specifically.

I am apparently WAAAY out of the loop at the moment. I haven't seen any of the teaser stuff about DD that everyone else in this thread apparently has. Man, you take a break for a couple months and the world just passes you by! I still haven't found the teasers where you folks saw all the stuff about what is going to be in DD, but thanks for letting me know about it.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
https://bg.battletech.com/news/restocks-of-core-products-major-update-of-coming-releases/

linked in the first post of the coming soon thread

Across the reinvigorated Federated Suns, the call goes out: the time has come to retake the jewel New Avalon from the Dragon, and throw back the Draconis Combine invaders. But the demands of war and politics will test the fragile alliance between First Prince Julian Davion and Prince’s Champion Erik Sandoval-Groell, and threaten to renew the chaos they seek to conquer.

The Rasalhague Dominion, so long a bastion of stability and internal harmony, greets the news of the ilClan’s accession with anything but a united front. Between those who believe that joining the newborn Star League is the Dominion’s destiny, and those not willing to deny the power and promise of their fusion culture, a single vote could secure a bright new future, or ignite the flames of violence.

Dominions Divided is a BattleTech sourcebook providing full details of the events within the Federated Suns, Draconis Combine, and Rasalhague Dominion from 3151 to mid-3152. Included are a full historical summary of events in those regions of space, personality and unit profiles of key players—many appearing here for the first time–and game information to bring it all to your BattleTech tabletop.

Aleksandr_GRC

• Recruit
I got a hope that the snow ravens do the draconis a dirty on their way out of the Fedsuns when Julian fights them back. Kinda like a long game to nuter two nations military.

Register