Register Register

Author Topic: Recognition Guide: ilClan Discussion Part 4 - Now Made From 100% Real ilClan  (Read 40485 times)

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
The effective three extra points of structure on the head makes you that much harder to headcap. Not going to make a difference against 15 point guns, but if you've taken a PPC to the face, you no longer need to fear a MG or single SRM.

Greatclub

• Captain
I've had opportunity to use osteon. Having people go "why won't this thing die!" is amusing

It throws people used to the game off bad just how much it takes to put one down after the armor has been stripped. The prime especially, I recently had three locations carrying ammo stripped, then everything but enemies two lb20x was diverted.

Admittedly the cluster shots did put it down, but it took three turns and much return fire.

Starfury

• Master Sergeant
The Rhime Otter reminds me of the Shadow Hawk that has actual firepower: A tough all rounder designed to be the anchor of a Star.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
And it's a omni so when it comes back it could be packing elementals with it!
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
And it's a omni so when it comes back it could be packing elementals with it!
So does the Shadow Hawk. Only, they're the enemy's Elementals...
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
The Rhime Otter reminds me of the Shadow Hawk that has actual firepower: A tough all rounder designed to be the anchor of a Star.

Weapons-wise, the Rime Otter Prime is like 2/3rds of a Mad Dog Prime, but on a MASCy, more survivable platform.

I always wanted the Hellions to field a speedy design called a Rime Runner.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2021, 21:30:07 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I keep thinking they missed a grand opportunity giving it an better alternate name, the Wombat.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

TheoLehman

• Sergeant
I demand to know which planet rime otters are native to, and whether they're as cute as Terran otters.  This is crucial BattleTech lore, people.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
I demand to know which planet rime otters are native to, and whether they're as cute as Terran otters.  This is crucial BattleTech lore, people.

I’ve been very close to large eastern river otters.  Between their weight and their teeth, they are pretty dangerous, and I wouldn’t mess with them.  But the cute little human things they did with their fore paws didn’t exactly strike fear in my heart, either.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
The South American Giant Otter is one of the few animals that jaguars will generally avoid attacking.  Given the general way that Battletech has portrayed alien animals, I'm guessing that the Rime Otter has oversized teeth that protrude from its mouth, large claws, and a rough, shaggy coat that makes it look like a serial killer on vacation.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

The Eagle

• Captain
  • Home of the Free
Still sounds super cute.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Warrant Officer
There was actually a thing on telly about otters the other night.  There was a bit about a family of giant river otters taking on a sizable cayman that had showed up in their territory by taking turns harassing it and eventually tiring the thing out until they could all pile on and defeat it.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
I don't think this species of otter has been mentioned anywhere before.

I suggested earlier it could be a species of otter adapted to some Rasalhagian planet (though now that think of it, the Clan Homeworlds could be an option). Since rime means frost that covers trees, i would guess the species possess light gray or white fur.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
Rime is frost formed on objects from supercooled fog, most specifically the crusty frost that builds up against the direction of the prevailing wind.  The frost that builds up on a guy’s beard from his breath being rapidly cooled in an arctic/high mountain environment is an example of rime.  Not limited to trees.

I would assume Rime Otters are otters adapted to hunting and living in arctic environments, maybe resembling a stoat or a polar bear in hunting behavior, depending on actual size.  But that’s obviously TBD.

But arboreal otters dropping out of trees to attack prey would be hilarious.
« Last Edit: 27 October 2021, 11:19:51 by Natasha Kerensky »

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Rime is frost formed on objects from supercooled fog, most specifically the crusty frost that builds up against the direction of the prevailing wind.  The frost that builds up on a guy’s beard from his breath being rapidly cooled in an arctic/high mountain environment is an example of rime.  Not limited to trees.
hmm, guess i should've read the dictionary entry more carefully. Then again, close enough. Also, beard freezing is really annoying.
So, drop bears, that is, koalas?
-What's the difference?

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Master Sergeant
Meh. Rime is also an archaic form of rhyme, so for all we know these otters are poets or rappers.

Luciora

• Major
So a raid on an Arctic area with some of these mechs would be rime'ing and stealing? 

Meh. Rime is also an archaic form of rhyme, so for all we know these otters are poets or rappers.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
The South American Giant Otter is one of the few animals that jaguars will generally avoid attacking.  Given the general way that Battletech has portrayed alien animals, I'm guessing that the Rime Otter has oversized teeth that protrude from its mouth, large claws, and a rough, shaggy coat that makes it look like a serial killer on vacation.

This Guy?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
That's a capybara.
Way too calm looking creature to be used as a name for a 'Mech.
-What's the difference?

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
That's a capybara.
Way too calm looking creature to be used as a name for a 'Mech.

Carpincho in my land.
They also have "cute" front teeth like otters, they are peaceful until you look for the fight there, they fall on you among all those nearby, they are gregarious and protect each other
« Last Edit: 27 October 2021, 10:40:52 by Adacas »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.

I would assume Rime Otters are otters adapted to hunting and living in arctic environments, maybe resembling a stoat or a polar bear in hunting behavior, depending on actual size.  But that’s obviously TBD.

This means they could also be called "Frosty Otters"
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

bobthecoward

• Lieutenant
This means they could also be called "Frosty Otters"

Like otter pops?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
I wonder if reinforced structure is something that would work better on lighter 'Mechs. Since the light 'Mechs have so little IS to begin with, one or two shots to the same location can completely destroy it. This might give a lightweight 'Mech a better chance to survive and get away to live another day. I'll have to take a look at the numbers to see how much it would cost light 'Mechs.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
I wonder if reinforced structure is something that would work better on lighter 'Mechs. Since the light 'Mechs have so little IS to begin with, one or two shots to the same location can completely destroy it. This might give a lightweight 'Mech a better chance to survive and get away to live another day. I'll have to take a look at the numbers to see how much it would cost light 'Mechs.
Hardened armor is good on light 'Mechs, so maybe, with the caveat armor is generally better than internals. The Rokurokubi, newest UrbanMechs R93 and R96 are good examples of really tough lights. But balancing durability with mobility and firepower is tricky.
That does not work for OmniMechs though, so Reinforced Structure has its uses.

EDIT I suppose the usefulness depends on the armor amount. Hardened+endo vs reinforced+standard/ferro, figure other payload and mobility demands determine which is better.
EDIT Right, forgot that Hardened causes -1 to max MPs and +1 to piloting rolls. But then again it doubles the threshold for damage-induced PSRs.
« Last Edit: 27 October 2021, 12:39:38 by Empyrus »
-What's the difference?

Luciora

• Major
I'm laughing at the mental image of a light mech shrugging off a AC/20 hit to the head now, using reinforced structure and hardened armor.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
I'm laughing at the mental image of a light mech shrugging off a AC/20 hit to the head now, using reinforced structure and hardened armor.
You can do that with just Hardened Armor. 9 points, ie 18 effective, 3 internal structure. Of course, the reinforced structure makes "head blown off" impossible.
-What's the difference?

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Hardened alone would allow that. Adding reinforced internals it could shrug off an improved heavy gauss round.   >:D
I have spoken.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Like otter pops?

EXACTLY like Otter Pops.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

GreekFire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • MUL Contributor

It works OK, but isn't the best. The new Mongoose, for example, is able to take an extra 10 point hit to any torso or leg location.
That's the upside. The downside is the low amounts of structure that you've got to start with. That extra 10 point hit to a side torso? Only translates to an extra 5 point hit as well. Not nearly as glamorous.

It's when used on heavier designs that things start to get interesting. The base amount of structure jumps up, which means when doubled, you can start tanking bigger hits or larger number of smaller ones.
« Last Edit: 27 October 2021, 13:37:36 by GreekFire »
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Also, beard freezing is really annoying.

Reinforced Structure takes 20% of your mass. That stings compared to Endo's 5%.

Very roughly RS is 16 points a ton. Hardened Armor is 8 points a ton. But you can compensate for the tonnage hit with an Endo frame. Ferro Fibrous Armor doesn't compensate RS in the same way.
« Last Edit: 27 October 2021, 16:00:55 by Jellico »