Register Register

Author Topic: Share Some Of Your More Shameful Lists  (Read 2459 times)

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Share Some Of Your More Shameful Lists
« on: 27 September 2022, 08:35:59 »
Let's admit it. Either accidentally or on purpose, we've all made at least one really obnoxious, cheesy force list before. Time to air 'em out for each other's amusement!

Perhaps the biggest one for me was when I was called into a MegaMek match that I didn't really have any time to prepare for. The BV limit was 6k, and I didn't really feel like nor had the time to make a proper good list that felt equal parts competent and fluffy. So, I did a bit of looking, and found... something that would fit neatly within 6k BV: sixteen Stingers. The round consisted of Stingers bobbing and weaving, swarming any member of the enemy lance that couldn't jump and pinning them in place, falling one by one but still able to repeatedly knock enemies over and kick them to death.

And the DFAs. Oh, the DFAs. Every turn, at least one Stinger attempted a DFA. At least. It didn't matter that almost all of them missed, as it kept displacing the enemy off of hills or into mosh pits. The final kill was, in fact, the result of a DFA displacing the final enemy 'Mech off the map.

I felt dirty. I got looks. I wasn't allowed to use Stingers again. We all laughed.

Most of my other filthy lists I abstain from using against other players, especially for in-person games. I enjoy theorycrafting and proofing them, but really only against Princess because bots are incapable of having a good or bad time. Such lists include the force consisting entirely of unarmed DropShips that repeatedly sumo-dropped the enemy to death, the Cecerops swarm turning the entire map into a sea of stacking-blocked pain filled with micro pulse lasers, and, of course, the Night of a Thousand 'Mechbusters.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List
Re: Share Some Of Your More Shameful Lists
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2022, 09:32:46 »
Solaris: The Jungle. 10k bv of jump infantry.

it made the game super unfun for everyone

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2022, 09:40:43 »
An all Hunchback HBK-4G force. But they asked for it. They said the Hunchback wasn't any good (compared to Wolverines, Griffins, etc), so I offered to let them try their hand against nothing but Hunchbacks.  They proceeded to lose their ('Mechs') heads over it.

Nothing like Sartris' evil though.  Clearly I need to be more careful around him :).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2022, 09:42:54 »
In a tournament where victory points were based on the point value of what you killed with a divisor of your own point value (allowing smaller 'Mechs to compete on points and discounting kills by super-high BV units) - designed a stripped down Hollander that had barely any armor - just the Gauss rifle and crossed fingers for getting head chops.

It wasn't much of a target in the grand melee, since taking it down wouldn't generate many victory points, but if it ever managed to snipe a foe, its points would be through the roof. 

Essentially designed for mathematical advantage, rather than fun gameplay.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2022, 10:08:44 »
The scorpion pit. All scorpion tank force against a lance. They had 4 mechs. I had 14 scorpions.
I know it is a supposed to be a classic training escenario, but in alpha strike it is just a duck shooting exercise for the Scorpions, as scorpions are touhger in AS than in regular BT and while they shoot badly, there are too many of them to neutralize while they whittle your force to nothing by plinking in 1 point of damage hits. 14 points per turn is nothing to sneeze at.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2022, 10:45:05 »
The scorpion pit.

You give it a cool name, it's no longer shameful.  Go Scorpion Pit!
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2022, 12:20:13 »
5000 bv game. Three TR1 Wraiths with 4/6 skills, one with 4/5 skills.   >:D
I have spoken.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2022, 13:27:55 »
Let's admit it. Either accidentally or on purpose, we've all made at least one really obnoxious, cheesy force list before. Time to air 'em out for each other's amusement!

I'm not sure any of these are "obnoxiously cheesy" but its what I can recall.

Most recently, while on vacation last X-Mas I attended a 15K Clan Tech game.
The problem, I didn't have a Designer/RS Printer at the time.
So I dug out an old binder w/ a bunch of old forces in it.
You could tell it was from a time when we did 5-6K clan forces.
I kept finding Heavy/Assault mech + Light/Medium mech pairings.

So I sorted through dozens of sheets, pulled the staples out & assembled a group of them into a 15K force.

DireWolf-Hohiro
TimberWolf-BountyHunter
WarHammer-IIC-1
IceFerret-D
Phantom-C
FireMoth-H

Its a lot of pulse & a lot of backstabbing & a wall of armor.

And older game back during the Jihad I assembled a force for another player who didn't have a PC at the time & made sure it blended well w/ my own force.

Force A for him.
LRM Carrier x2
Sprint x2
Zeus-6S
Demolisher
(All loaded up with SG-LRMs & Precision-AC)

Force B for me.
LRM Carrier x2
Sprint x2
Victor-9B
Saladin
(All loaded up with SG-LRMs & Precision-AC)

WoB forces did not fair well against these fairly low tech mercs at all.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Prospernia

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2022, 13:57:36 »
I really don't have any embarrassing lists, really.  They all died honorably.

Also, for some reason this brings up the time I had my players fight Wolf's Dragoon in 3025; Natasha Kerensky's mech kept getting AC/20, and PPC, critical, pilot, shots from my players and as she was suppose to die in 3050ish, I forbade them from ever fighting the Dragoons again.

An all Hunchback HBK-4G force. But they asked for it. They said the Hunchback wasn't any good (compared to Wolverines, Griffins, etc), so I offered to let them try their hand against nothing but Hunchbacks.  They proceeded to lose their ('Mechs') heads over it.

Nothing like Sartris' evil though.  Clearly I need to be more careful around him :).

If you can get a Demolisher or a Hunchback, to use the punish hit-location chart when rolling for the AC/20 hit-location, you have a 1 in 3 and 1 in 6 chance of destroying a mech outright.  A Executioner found that out the hard way!

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2022, 13:59:24 »
I took a 1/2 HellStar and Awesome 11H (7x 15dmg weapons) and a bunch of low skill scorpion tank initiatives sinks.

My OpFor didn't really get the warning I have about keeping out of LOS until they could do significant damage.

The game was conceded after turn 2.

{Note:  I did warn them I was take a list of pure bullshit up front, and would be happy to play something else}
« Last Edit: 27 September 2022, 14:04:14 by Geg »

JoeJones

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2022, 17:11:23 »
Many of my opponents would say that any list I make which includes a Longbow-13C is a shamefully cheesy list. Add in a Ti Ts’ang-9H for even more complaints. :)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2022, 17:57:08 »
The scorpion pit. All scorpion tank force against a lance. They had 4 mechs. I had 14 scorpions.
I know it is a supposed to be a classic training escenario, but in alpha strike it is just a duck shooting exercise for the Scorpions, as scorpions are touhger in AS than in regular BT and while they shoot badly, there are too many of them to neutralize while they whittle your force to nothing by plinking in 1 point of damage hits. 14 points per turn is nothing to sneeze at.
once did something of the sort.. a combined arms battalion for the BV of a mech company. (two companies of Scorpion tanks with three companies of mechanized-wheeled infantry and a demicompany of VTOLs.) called it the "Iron Tide".

never did use it. might have to revisit the concept now that we have canon field gun artillery and the like, which would make the unit even nastier.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2022, 18:00:50 by glitterboy2098 »

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #12 on: 27 September 2022, 21:23:02 »

A couple battalion/cluster-sized units expressly built to max out and leverage asymmetric dirty tricks and munch:

PAGET’S DRAGOONS (CAPPIE) —> https://bg.battletech.com/forums/non-canon-units/paget's-dragoons-1st-batt-toe-46418/msg1070309/#msg1070309

Stealthed long-range hole-punchers; massed LB 20-X, massed incendiary/TSEMP, massed physicals and TSM.

TAMARON APTOSIS CELL (SOCIETY) —> https://bg.battletech.com/forums/non-canon-units/tamaron-aptosis-cell-society-cluster-equivalent/msg1590753/#msg1590753

Massed Arrow IV and indirect LRMs, massed LB 10-X, massed incendiary/EMP attacks, massed pulse/TC/Nova CEWS, false flag units
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #13 on: 27 September 2022, 21:44:21 »
I used a Supernova 4 once. After it butchered three of my opponent's mechs before they got within range to shoot, I declared that I'd never use it again.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 27 September 2022, 22:43:48 »
Shugenja, Bishamon, No-Dachi, and an Avatar D. It's not an especially potent list, but it's fun to launch a Macross level salvo every round. The shame is that I once tried tracking missed shots on an urban map and ended up leveling a city block.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #15 on: 28 September 2022, 07:05:57 »
A squadron or two of MechBusters loaded with thunder bombs with a couple lances of long-ranged units.  Block the opfor from getting close and hit them from a distance.  I'm sure the MegaNek bot was cursing me out!
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #16 on: 28 September 2022, 07:39:04 »
Solaris: The Jungle. 10k bv of jump infantry.

it made the game super unfun for everyone
I speak for the trees, and the trees say "BACKBLAST AREA CLEAR!"

The HBK-4P does work in the MechWarrior games and Alpha Strike, but its fans always seem to forget that in Classic, where random hit locations are a thing, you can never discount the usefulness of some good penetrative power. Of course, in my opinion, the HBK-4G and HBK-6P work best when paired up.
In a tournament where victory points were based on the point value of what you killed with a divisor of your own point value (allowing smaller 'Mechs to compete on points and discounting kills by super-high BV units) - designed a stripped down Hollander that had barely any armor - just the Gauss rifle and crossed fingers for getting head chops.

It wasn't much of a target in the grand melee, since taking it down wouldn't generate many victory points, but if it ever managed to snipe a foe, its points would be through the roof. 

Essentially designed for mathematical advantage, rather than fun gameplay.
Let's be real, any tournament that allows customs is kind of asking for it.
A squadron or two of MechBusters loaded with thunder bombs with a couple lances of long-ranged units.  Block the opfor from getting close and hit them from a distance.  I'm sure the MegaNek bot was cursing me out!
Yeah, I don't believe Princess is programmed with any awareness of minefields. If you ever want easy wins in an ATB campaign, thunder bombs and artillery are the way to go; she'll just blindly walk straight through minefields.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 01 October 2022, 00:08:29 »
Twice I think I annoyed the he'll put of the chicago area demo team.

Once it was built a urbanmech and one gun and an angry weapon. It was a limited ammo and ammo Regan gen for a holiday. I went some type of med laser and a clan build. Nothing but rocket launchers for short ammo. It was reloaded every time it came up since they where all one shot.....

The next was a kill the agents....we had two mecha each an you could not use reach out and young type guns. I pulled a go for with a long Tom cannon which killed someone with splash damage and an an very fast 30 plus light mech which almost killed a p-hawk from a ram...
Cannons where banned after that....

HeavyArmorMecha

• Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: 01 October 2022, 05:02:44 »
Got one in planning, pending on whether I could buy the box. (CGL, your overseas shipping are atrocious)

I have a dude that only plays 15k BV and fields an entire company of Lyran Scouts in 3055.

By 3055 I mean Devastator, Thunderhawk, and the usual Lyran assaults (Battlemaster, Awesome, King Crab, etc).

So I plan to field: 2 full companies of UM-R63 with 4/5 pilots, 3 LRM carriers with 3/5 drivers (or more pending on how many I get from the Kickstarter), and some supports depending on my mood.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #19 on: 01 October 2022, 19:18:01 »
Back in the early 90s, me and two friends entered an "unlimited" tournament at a con.  Most of the other players took 100-ton clanner 'mechs.  We took three IS LAMs.  My first friend had an AC/20 and a couple Medium Lasers.  My second friend had a Large Pulse Laser and a couple Medium Pulses.  Me?  I had 30 Small Lasers and the DHS to fire them all every turn...  >:D

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #20 on: 05 October 2022, 15:55:57 »
"Share Some Of Your More Shameful Lists"

As someone that rarely plays, and that does NOT paint his minis, I thought this would be people Sharing their "Lists"/numbers of Unpainted Minis.   :D

I've got 67 T-bolts of various sculpts, only 32 (or so) are painted, NONE by me.  :-[
I've got (at least!) 151 Quads, but only 34 painted. Again, NONE by me.  :-[
Then my 24 Marauders, 29 Riflemen, 33 Warhammers (all including Unseen, Unseen IIC, Reseen, Reseen IIC sculpts, but not my few newer CGL plastics), and many others that are unpainted, aside from a few of each here and there.  :-[
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 06 October 2022, 08:18:06 »

As someone that rarely plays, and that does NOT paint his minis, I thought this would be people Sharing their "Lists"/numbers of Unpainted Minis.   :D

I've got 67 T-bolts of various sculpts, only 32 (or so) are painted, NONE by me.  :-[
Then my 24 Marauders, 29 Riflemen, 33 Warhammers (all including Unseen, Unseen IIC, Reseen, Reseen IIC sculpts, but not my few newer CGL plastics), and many others that are unpainted, aside from a few of each here and there.  :-[

Laughed too hard at this.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: 06 October 2022, 10:38:04 »

Personally, I applaud you supporting local artists and making sure they always have work in these try times.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 06 October 2022, 17:33:41 »
Laughed too hard at this.
Well, I laugh at myself often enough, so I try to spread it around.   :thumbsup:

Personally, I applaud you supporting local artists and making sure they always have work in these try times.
I do what I can, but I'll have to hit some sort of Lottery Jackpot, maybe even the Powerball, to get everything painted.   :(
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #24 on: 06 October 2022, 18:38:44 »
numbers of Unpainted Minis.   :D

including vehicles its close to 1200

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 07 October 2022, 16:34:59 »
including vehicles its close to 1200
The XL file a friend created for me to keep track of my minis says 1,211 total.  I can "Manipulate" an existing XL File, but I don't know how to Create one from nothing.  :-[  Anyway, the PC it started on died several years ago, and it took me a while to get a new PC and recover the old HD, so it went all those years without being updated.  :-\  (Primary HD died, took the secondary HD the XL file was on as Hostage. xp)

Plus I'm not sure how the "Total" is Calculated on the Summary tab.  I've got all the old RP Lance Packs (including the Clan "Lance" Packs), but each has 4 minis.  Does the summary count them as 1 each, or 4 each?  Is it counting all the resin buildings?  Some of those are individually bagged, some have multiple buildings per bag.  What about the newer IWM Lance Packs, where one of the two Bounty Hunter packs only has 3 minis, is that 1 or 3 or 4?   :o

Once I add in the ones I've bought since I last updated the file, plus the few plastic Force Packs I've gotten from the CI KS, I'm Guessing I'm pushing 1,800 easily, maybe closer to 2K?   ??? 

With only 200-300 painted, by OTHER people.   :-[

BrianDavion

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 08 October 2022, 14:18:17 »
I'm in a campaign right now with a jade pheonix with a 2/2 pilot and jumping jack

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #27 on: 08 October 2022, 14:37:07 »
I'm in a campaign right now with a jade pheonix with a 2/2 pilot and jumping jack

Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 08 October 2022, 14:45:42 »
My painting list is a bit small at present.  A few final touches on a mech, and maybe some Elementals that I noticed after taking pictures.  4 Mechs, 6 Vehicles, and 3 BA stands that just need their final layer to be added.  1 'Mech recently purchased that needs to be built (so obviously not made).

But most shameful list that I wont' run again was an experiment with Booby Traps and Vehicles.  2 each Hovers and VTOLs whose Cruising movement was 19 & 20 respectively, and would do about 300 damage each.  One deleted an Atlas, another tore apart a Battlemaster hiding in the Woods, and pretty much put another force in to hiding in the water or running off the table.

Of course, this prompted our group's scenario creator to design his own little hover sled that was tiny, even faster (6 TMM on Cruising easily achieved), and only had a 170 Engine.  It was so cheap that he could spam a dozen and still have an otherwise effective force on the table.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 08 October 2022, 16:34:09 »
I actually have a list of basically all the Pulse Boats (and a sub list of those that are Omni’s or mount TC’s) prepared for a campaign as like a Halloween or April Fools event where a full Company ambushes the players  from all sides after they hit an objective (defending by like two turrets) at the center of the map.

Haven’t run it because both campaigns flamed out…. But I’m waiting for the day. And yes I will have no shame (because the end result will be a nightmare or something battle and yet the players will still earn something regardless of the ending)