Register Register

Author Topic: So excited for the ilClan Theater Sourcebooks  (Read 8556 times)

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: So excited for the ilClan Theater Sourcebooks
« Reply #210 on: 08 September 2021, 10:00:03 »
Continent?  No . . . enclave/embassy such as they had on Strana Mechty?  Sure why not . . .
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #211 on: 08 September 2021, 11:12:42 »
Continent?  No . . . enclave/embassy such as they had on Strana Mechty?  Sure why not . . .

Enclaves are very homeworld.   This is Terra after all.  If I were the Bears, I would want something with a little more value.

klarg1

• Captain
    • Blind Metal Minis
« Reply #212 on: 08 September 2021, 13:36:54 »
Enclaves are very homeworld.   This is Terra after all.  If I were the Bears, I would want something with a little more value.

I would too, but Alaric doesn’t really seem like the sharing type. A 20km radius around some symbolically significant landmark or population center seems more his style.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #213 on: 08 September 2021, 14:04:27 »
Why would they give up that much of Terra?  Enjoy your little embassy and imagine the infighting to be in the Trinary Supernova assigned to guard that Clan's embassy.
Colt Ward

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #214 on: 08 September 2021, 14:24:39 »
Why would they give up that much of Terra?  Enjoy your little embassy and imagine the infighting to be in the Trinary Supernova assigned to guard that Clan's embassy.

Specifically (in my speculation), because Alaric will need help beating back the Capellans on Terra and the FWL from the Empire.   The Wolves and the Falcons are exhausted from the Battle for Terra and Liao has been one of the winners in the Dark Age.   And this is all coming from a throw away line that Brent said in one of the AMAs or Podcasts in the lead up to Hour of the Wolf about how maybe Terra isn't controlled by only one faction....  but mostly because I wanted to make the Superman II joke.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #215 on: 08 September 2021, 15:00:12 »
You have got to say it would be one hell of an unexpected plot twist... Well it would have been until mendrugo just spoiled it...  ::)

I was mostly just going for the utterly terrible pun.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #216 on: 08 September 2021, 15:56:02 »
Another possibility: The Capellans and Dominion both arrive in the Terran system at the same time and the Capellans fire on the Bears thinking that they are the Wolves.  The Bears wipe out the Capellan fleet then declare war.

Orwell84

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #217 on: 08 September 2021, 16:00:32 »
Specifically (in my speculation), because Alaric will need help beating back the Capellans on Terra and the FWL from the Empire.   The Wolves and the Falcons are exhausted from the Battle for Terra and Liao has been one of the winners in the Dark Age.   And this is all coming from a throw away line that Brent said in one of the AMAs or Podcasts in the lead up to Hour of the Wolf about how maybe Terra isn't controlled by only one faction....

I rather like this idea - if the Clans are going to be holding Terra, having it split along the same lines as Strana Mechty could make it a rather interesting place ('interesting' as in the Mandarin adage, that is).

but mostly because I wanted to make the Superman II joke.

Nice to feel valued ;D. But the Bears / Dominion, methinks, would rather have a certain region on the other side of the world. Although if the Tseng bloodline wants its ancestral land too the clash between the Bear's claws and Capellan dao may yet come to pass.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others

"They do not understand that defacing or destroying a monument does not change history. In fact, it often ends up reinforcing that history. Rewriting the history books to impose a new social order rarely works in the long term."
Baldur/Trent, Forever Faithful

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #218 on: 12 September 2021, 14:51:29 »
Specifically (in my speculation), because Alaric will need help beating back the Capellans on Terra and the FWL from the Empire.   The Wolves and the Falcons are exhausted from the Battle for Terra and Liao has been one of the winners in the Dark Age.   And this is all coming from a throw away line that Brent said in one of the AMAs or Podcasts in the lead up to Hour of the Wolf about how maybe Terra isn't controlled by only one faction....  but mostly because I wanted to make the Superman II joke.

I just finished Hunting Season.   When the book closes it it's fairly clear that the Capellan Confederation are the ones trying to destabilize the new FWL. and that Nikol is going to blame them for the death of her mother / Captain-General ., but....  with how Nikol called out Danni and the CC directly, I am going to shift guess to include a Capellan Confederation civil war at some point "soon.".

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #219 on: 12 September 2021, 14:56:23 »
You and I took very different conclusions from that book.  There are Maskirova agents with access to FWL higher ups, but very importantly every incident involving those higher ups was either instigated by a different power (Regulus for Phillip) or by an unambiguously rogue agent that the Maskirova had to try to help extract to keep everything from going much, much worse.  There was not, at any point, any direct action by the Maskirova directed by the Chancellor against the FWL.

The other two spoiler bars you've got there are more ambiguous, I suspect deliberately so.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #220 on: 12 September 2021, 15:14:54 »
You and I took very different conclusions from that book.  There are Maskirova agents with access to FWL higher ups, but very importantly every incident involving those higher ups was either instigated by a different power (Regulus for Phillip) or by an unambiguously rogue agent that the Maskirova had to try to help extract to keep everything from going much, much worse.  There was not, at any point, any direct action by the Maskirova directed by the Chancellor against the FWL.

The other two spoiler bars you've got there are more ambiguous, I suspect deliberately so.

My take away was that the CC made ammo that the Marians were using, was probably ordered by the Chancellor.   The Magistracy has been fighting along side the CC for the last few Novellas, so I doubt they would invade FWL for giggles.   So against what the Chancellor is probably doing, nobody is going to believe that a 'Maskirova' acted on their own initiative when it came to Jessica..   There is enough without confirmation that the characters could be wrong in there assumptions.  However, the relationship with Danni and Daoshen feels like it is destined to end in some sort of conflict.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #221 on: 12 September 2021, 15:52:52 »

Personally if I was Alaric, I'd give the Ghost Bears Texas. Battletech canon is not kind to my home state over the next 1,129 years. It's basically devastated, partially radioactive, and depopulated. Giving it to Clan Ghost Bears would be a Godsend to be fair.

Besides Australia will now be a tourist trap. There will be monuments to Clan Wolf landing especially the spot where Alaric first stepped out of his dropship. Unfortunately, there will be no gift shops.   

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #222 on: 13 September 2021, 09:52:16 »
It is de-populated as part of that shift to returning the planet to wilderness zones . . . and west Texas and the Panhandle are a bunch of those little towns we discussed in another topic.

I am in absolute agreement with Scotty about the Mask/CC interaction with the FWL.

But the supposition that the CC is giving weapons & munitions directly to the MH?  I feel folks are forgetting the cut out, and shaving with Occam, most likely answer.

The Canopians get materials from the CapCon as part of their alliance . . . as part of Ilsa's control over Daoshen . . . and they can easily pass those supplies to the Marians in part of their effort to use as many catspaws as possible to expand towards the League's new Regulan border.  Since the CapCon sending stuff to the MH from the CC they would have to go through the FWL or MoC, it is IMO more likely it is just the Canopians doing the work.  Daoshen is concentrated on the Republic, he bought (or appears to) Danai's argument about leaving the FS alone- why would he want to kick things off the the FWL who is in a better strategic position than the FS?  BUT . . . for Ilsa's ambitions to take more Inner Sphere worlds, having the CapCon fighting the League is more useful than the Anduriens, Regulus and Hegemony combined- IF they go all in.
Colt Ward

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #223 on: 13 September 2021, 12:39:25 »
Daoshen is concentrated on the Republic, he bought (or appears to) Danai's argument about leaving the FS alone- why would he want to kick things off the the FWL who is in a better strategic position than the FS?

The FS have New Avalon to worry about.   In addition there have been several recent flair ups on the FS boarder which have, more or less, marinated the status quo.   I want to say that the FS broke the treaty once (Splinter of Hope) so Julian is probably is not looking to trash his reputation again so soon.   It's not unreasonable for the CapCons to want to focus the FWL attention elsewhere (MoC and MH) as they make a bid for Terra.

Having as Mask operative directly involved with the death of Jessica wasn't part of the CapCon plan, but now Nikol clearly thinks that CapCom was responsible for her mothers death and that Daoshen is playing a bigger role that typical boarder shenanigans.  This puts Daoshen in the the spot where he was trying to only be a little provocative, but is risking an Operation GUERRERO type reaction from the FWL.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2021, 12:49:13 by Geg »

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #224 on: 13 September 2021, 13:00:10 »
Your missing the point . . . Daoshen has no reason to have ANY of the attackers involvement in the war against the FWL traced directly back to him.  Ilsa WOULD benefit from the CapCon getting drawn in, even if it is against Daoshen's strategic planning.
Colt Ward

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #225 on: 13 September 2021, 14:17:43 »
Your missing the point . . . Daoshen has no reason to have ANY of the attackers involvement in the war against the FWL traced directly back to him.  Ilsa WOULD benefit from the CapCon getting drawn in, even if it is against Daoshen's strategic planning.

Unless I am miss remembering, Ilsa hasn't shown up since FM3145.   If she was going to be a major player in the story, I would have expected her to have been at least named dropped in the last novella.  While Dao and Dannie have popped up directly or indirectly a bunch of times since Shattered Fortress.  My money is that Daoshen did "something," but that is speculation that can only be resolved with future releases.   But even if he did nothing CapCon is going to take some undeserved shade from the FWL.

Ruger

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #226 on: 13 September 2021, 14:44:32 »
Unless I am miss remembering, Ilsa hasn't shown up since FM3145.   If she was going to be a major player in the story, I would have expected her to have been at least named dropped in the last novella.  While Dao and Dannie have popped up directly or indirectly a bunch of times since Shattered Fortress.  My money is that Daoshen did "something," but that is speculation that can only be resolved with future releases.   But even if he did nothing CapCon is going to take some undeserved shade from the FWL.

She was named dropped a few times in Blood Will Tell.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #227 on: 13 September 2021, 14:46:27 »
And the way her character is introduced is that she is a behind the scenes manipulator- even more than her brother.
Colt Ward

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #228 on: 14 September 2021, 06:37:01 »
I wondering if Chaos Campaign scenario/tracks will be included in these books.  I hope more than just 4.  Good scenario books is foundation to further military campaigns to me.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Adrian Gideon

• Battletech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #229 on: 14 September 2021, 10:25:34 »
No.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech