Register Register

Author Topic: The *literally* Never-Seen  (Read 76020 times)

S.gage

• Warrant Officer
  • The Nova Cat is a subtle hunter.
Re: The *literally* Never-Seen
« Reply #1020 on: 03 May 2021, 22:25:32 »
We seem to  have a Golden Age Coyote assault omni from the new story "The Trickster" by Parode, the Warlock

Ooooh, are there details, ie do you recommend buying the book?
"WHO PUT 6 ARMOR ON THE RIFLEMAN'S HEAD?!?" - Peter S., while marking damage from a PPC, 1994.
"Ich bin Jadefalke!!!! Ich bin MechKrieger!!!!" - German students on their field trip to Leipzig, 1998.
Custom Early Clan Refit BattleMechs, Custom Novel Golden Century BattleMechs, Custom Early Clan Refit Combat Vehicles, Custom First Generation OmniMechs.

GreekFire

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • MUL Contributor
« Reply #1021 on: 03 May 2021, 22:39:17 »
Ooooh, are there details, ie do you recommend buying the book?

No details beyond its name and weight class.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Looking for a write-up on your favorite 'Mech? Check this out: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=174.0
Want to know which 'Mechs haven't been covered? Take a look at this: http://pastebin.com/9LNAMhFC
Interested in requesting or writing a 'Mech of the Week article? Come join us over here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=55619.0

Onion2112

• Sergeant
« Reply #1022 on: 04 May 2021, 11:12:49 »
I was wondering where the reference to the Delavan-class Cruiser is from - I’ve checked both House Davion sourcebooks and can’t locate it - Sarna has a pair of them defending Novaya Zemlya in 2399 - but I can’t find a reference to them being involved there either.

CVB

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1023 on: 04 May 2021, 13:16:52 »
Sarna quotes House Davion - The Federated Suns (FASA #1623) p. 28 as the source, but the Delavans are definitely not there. I've also checked the HDSB print version, both House Liao books, and Era Digest Age of War - w/o success.

Seems those were extremely stealthy ships  :D

lrose

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1024 on: 04 May 2021, 16:13:42 »
I was wondering where the reference to the Delavan-class Cruiser is from - I’ve checked both House Davion sourcebooks and can’t locate it - Sarna has a pair of them defending Novaya Zemlya in 2399 - but I can’t find a reference to them being involved there either.

The Delevan's are not Canon- they are Liam's Ghost's design from the old Naval Archive.  The write up Liam did had 2 of them defending Novaya Zemlya.  T

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1025 on: 04 May 2021, 17:17:45 »
Wait, something I wrote made it onto Sarna as a wiki fact?

I feel kinda honored.

Anyway, I did use a canon reference when I made the Delevan, but that was just to an unnamed type of "Strike Cruiser", and I'm struggling to find where that reference came from.

If that's enough to count as a Never-seen, I'll keep looking and see if I can find the original reference again.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1026 on: 04 May 2021, 17:32:45 »
Found it!

Periphery 1st Edition Page 28:

"Intending to take advantage of this opportunity, the Davion strike force commander dispatched four squadrons of strike cruisers (three-fourths of the total Davion contingent) against the Tentativa system"
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Maingunnery

• Major
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1027 on: 04 May 2021, 18:00:09 »
Found it!

Periphery 1st Edition Page 28:

"Intending to take advantage of this opportunity, the Davion strike force commander dispatched four squadrons of strike cruisers (three-fourths of the total Davion contingent) against the Tentativa system"
Strike variants of the Cruiser-class?  ;)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Fan XTRO: The Society

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1028 on: 04 May 2021, 18:01:53 »
I'd be down with it. The Cruiser doesn't get nearly enough love.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1029 on: 04 May 2021, 20:19:40 »
Wasn't that the New Syrtis-class Carriers? The used have different designation.  Fighter Cruiser but i remember hearing Strike cruiser somewhere.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1030 on: 04 May 2021, 21:39:50 »
Wasn't that the New Syrtis-class Carriers? The used have different designation.  Fighter Cruiser but i remember hearing Strike cruiser somewhere.

It wouldn't quite fit the original reference, since only five carriers saw action during Case Amber and the original reference was to "four squadrons of strike cruisers".

If we massage it a bit and change it to four strike cruiser squadrons instead of four squadrons of strike cruisers, then it might work in the same way that a carrier group isn't a group of carriers, but a group built around a carrier.

I can't find any reference to the New Syrtis being called a "strike cruiser" specifically, but that could also be a fuzzy designation rather than a definite classification. Or even a statement of intent if we go with strike cruiser squadron rather than squadron of strike cruisers, in other words a cruiser squadron dedicated to striking the hell out of things.

So it wouldn't take much stretching to go either way.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1031 on: 04 May 2021, 23:11:10 »
I got one...

" Spider "

Touring the Stars : Gulf Breeze
Pg. 11

" CMC established a specialized shipyard, Spider, in Gulf Breeze Five’s orbit that produced simple, standardized habitat stations. "

' Wheelers ', aka Stanford-class Habitats, are 200K each... But this could lead up to the Multi-Modular Space Station design and quirk ability.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1032 on: 04 May 2021, 23:43:51 »
the spider i forgot (now added to the MUL). there is a daisy-chained wheeler - a custom rig simply known as the Gulf Breeze Station that has five of them welded together. So they can be chained together with one known example, though it is stated that they aren't modular in an intentional sense. this 930,000 ton example was a large-scale jimmy rig with custom-engineered station-keeping. they're not designed to be like legos. the TtS also notes they're a bitch to export.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1033 on: 05 May 2021, 01:17:00 »
There is " Card " info on the Wheelers and possible Gulf Breeze itself.

As there are official stats.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #1034 on: 06 May 2021, 19:02:19 »
Addition to the list?  Planetlifter Support variant. Described in ''TRO:Prototypes'', p. 160, but there is no accompanying record sheet in RS: Prototypes.

The MUL entries were fixed. The Planetlifter Support is a definite addition to the list.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1035 on: 06 May 2021, 19:17:28 »
Planetlifter Support is the down-teched version mentioned in the variants in Prototypes

It turns out that the XTRO Corps and Prototypes tactical support aircraft were the same unit

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #1036 on: 06 May 2021, 19:24:11 »
Suggested it because it qualifies as, "...have been mentioned once or twice in some source somewhere, but never fully stated-out..."

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1037 on: 06 May 2021, 19:26:56 »
We have support vehicles mentioned once in novels so obviously the criteria for addition is not stringent

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #1038 on: 06 May 2021, 19:30:45 »
Wouldn't be the first time I misunderstood purpose or intent.  :))

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1039 on: 18 May 2021, 12:43:53 »
oops never mind

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #1040 on: 21 May 2021, 16:58:09 »
Thank you for all your hard work and contributions, folks!

I have added the planetlifter-support and warlock here and edited the Delavan.

I added the Custom Blackhawk and Excalibur, along with the Spider to the Mech-It Lube as they are custom one-offs if I read those replies correctly.

Thanks again!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

lrose

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1041 on: 22 May 2021, 16:04:04 »
Thank you for all your hard work and contributions, folks!

I have added the planetlifter-support and warlock here and edited the Delavan.

The Delavan should be removed- it is not canon.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1042 on: 22 May 2021, 17:07:21 »
Or at the very least changed to "unnamed strike cruiser".

CVB

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1043 on: 22 May 2021, 17:34:49 »
The Periphery 1st ed. p. 28 only mentions four squadrons of unnamed "strike cruisers".
These strike cruiser actually seem to be an unseen design fitting for the list, just the name Delavan isn't canon.

Short overview of known Davion warship classes in 2577, when Case Amber happened, we have:

Vigilant Corvette
Robinson Transport (Block I)
Davion Destroyer (Blocks I&II)
Aegis Heavy Cruiser
Congress Frigate
Congress Frigate D
New Syrtis Carrier
Defender Battle Cruiser

These are either too few in number to account for the loss of most of 4 squadrons - the TH distributed only 30 Aegis cruiser among all 5 member states, and 6 were still in service with the FS in 2765, there were only 6 Defender class battlecruisers ever built, of which 2 survived to 2765, and the other designs aren't cruisers at all.

klarg1

• Lieutenant
    • Blind Metal Minis
« Reply #1044 on: 22 May 2021, 17:44:29 »
Leave it to the Davions to have an archer that’s just an AC/20

I mean, if I were to imagine an ARC-2D from the late succession wars, it would dump the missiles for nothing but energy weapons and heat sinks.

It's a pity there's no way to fit 20 small lasers into each side torso to keep it WYSIWYG.  ;)

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1045 on: 22 May 2021, 17:53:30 »
Decoy emitters, Solaris uses them all the time.  Even 10 is still a possible 30 pointer total sandblaster hit.

I mean, if I were to imagine an ARC-2D from the late succession wars, it would dump the missiles for nothing but energy weapons and heat sinks.

It's a pity there's no way to fit 20 small lasers into each side torso to keep it WYSIWYG.  ;)

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1046 on: 22 May 2021, 17:58:22 »
More over, 12 would fit just fine in each side torso... off to the design forum and SSW...  8)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #1047 on: 23 May 2021, 12:20:19 »
The Periphery 1st ed. p. 28 only mentions four squadrons of unnamed "strike cruisers".
These strike cruiser actually seem to be an unseen design fitting for the list, just the name Delavan isn't canon.

Short overview of known Davion warship classes in 2577, when Case Amber happened, we have:

Vigilant Corvette
Robinson Transport (Block I)
Davion Destroyer (Blocks I&II)
Aegis Heavy Cruiser
Congress Frigate
Congress Frigate D
New Syrtis Carrier
Defender Battle Cruiser

These are either too few in number to account for the loss of most of 4 squadrons - the TH distributed only 30 Aegis cruiser among all 5 member states, and 6 were still in service with the FS in 2765, there were only 6 Defender class battlecruisers ever built, of which 2 survived to 2765, and the other designs aren't cruisers at all.

Gotcha. I misunderstood.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1048 on: 23 May 2021, 14:41:08 »
New Syrtis Carrier  could have had a variant. The design had in the past has been mentioned as a cruiser in some fashions, when they mentioned the ship first in the Robinson transport article. It would make sense for the davians to have maybe one big ship that's mass produced that isn't a destroyer.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

lrose

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1049 on: 23 May 2021, 18:25:28 »
The problem with the "unnamed Strike Cruiser" is the the AFFS order of battle for Tentativa is in H:RW.  So unless you throw out the material from H:RW (which would not be a bad idea- it has a lot of errors in it) and replace it with a new one featuring the Strike Cruiser I don't see how you can make the Periphery 1st Edition reference work. 

Register