Register Register

Author Topic: Things I would love to see (that would probably lose money)  (Read 7693 times)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Re: Things I would love to see (that would probably lose money)
« Reply #90 on: 15 August 2022, 11:24:21 »
Life sized posters of all the CGL staff and freelancers cosplaying as Urban mechs.
a ppv stream of the CGL and freelancers playing human Battletech, cosplaying as their unit, much like human chess
Come to think of it, they might both make money, there really needs to be a silly stuff (that isn't too dangerous) you'd pay the CGLs team do that's battletech related thread.

oww the team skydiving while dressed as LAMs, it'd be one hell of a way to turn up at a convention... just saying.

Only if at least one of the team is playing a melee mech: because I’d pay good money to see someone like say Micheal Stackpole hit someone over the head with a foam hatchet. It would be too funny.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #91 on: 15 August 2022, 12:11:40 »
Only if at least one of the team is playing a melee mech: because I’d pay good money to see someone like say Micheal Stackpole hit someone over the head with a foam hatchet. It would be too funny.

They should reinact the scene where Kai drops a cliff on all those Falcons using a foam pit ;D
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

TheoLehman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #92 on: 15 August 2022, 12:44:35 »
Let's take this to its logical conclusion: CGL staff doing an episode of Takeshi's Castle dressed in cardboard 'Mech costumes.

Gorgon

• Sergeant
« Reply #93 on: 15 August 2022, 13:46:09 »
Let's take this to its logical conclusion: CGL staff doing an episode of Takeshi's Castle dressed in cardboard 'Mech costumes.
Best possible version of the Battle of Luthien!

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #94 on: 16 August 2022, 03:16:57 »
It's been said before, but that's the fast lane to SKU hell.
That being said, might be worth a look through Fortress Miniatures & Games. You might be pleased. IIRC, some FLGSs also unbox lance packs for individual sale.
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to call bull on this, otherwise 'Mechs would only be appearing in a single Lance Pack.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #95 on: 16 August 2022, 08:34:38 »
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to call bull on this, otherwise 'Mechs would only be appearing in a single Lance Pack.
The new mini have only been in Lance Packs or single Blind Boxes. CGL has been trying to make it as easy as possible for themselves, people need to stop confusing them with Fasa.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #96 on: 17 August 2022, 05:05:42 »
The new mini have only been in Lance Packs or single Blind Boxes. CGL has been trying to make it as easy as possible for themselves, people need to stop confusing them with Fasa.
Yes, but 'Mechs have been repeated in the latest boxes, their new sculpts then before and maybe different variants, but if CGL wanted to keep the number of SKU's down I don't think they'd be doing that, you'd want to have the highest number of 'Mechs in the lowest number of boxes, which means no repeats.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #97 on: 17 August 2022, 05:59:43 »
SKU's are by box, not by miniature. This is why they don't sell individuals except as random draw salvage boxes. Duplicate minis in the boxes allow for a wider range of boxes with less investment in molds and artistic design, and allow for better chance for some mechs to be found by the buyereven if a seller does not stock all the boxes on offer.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #98 on: 17 August 2022, 09:19:18 »
I thought the "no individual plastics" was due to an agreement with IWM?  ???

Ghaz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #99 on: 17 August 2022, 09:24:16 »
I thought the "no individual plastics" was due to an agreement with IWM?  ???

Nope.  That's been debunked almost every time it's been brought up (and it's been brought up fairly regularly).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #100 on: 17 August 2022, 09:30:59 »
Huh... somehow I missed all the various debunkings.

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #101 on: 17 August 2022, 12:34:49 »
Evidence #1: Salvage Pack: UrbanMech and Salvage Pack: Shilone.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #102 on: 17 August 2022, 21:56:09 »
Best possible version of the Battle of Luthien!

This makes me LOL every single time I relook this thread!

Xan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #103 on: 17 August 2022, 22:19:35 »
I feel there is room for some short stories for a Hogan's Heroes type band of Inner Sphere POWs in Clan space during the Clan Invasion.  I think there could be some fun stories to be had there.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #104 on: 18 August 2022, 00:03:30 »
Nope.  That's been debunked almost every time it's been brought up (and it's been brought up fairly regularly).
even i thought so initially.

though IMO Catalyst probably isn't in any hurry to try and compete with IWM for the "individual mech sale" market, even if they technical have the legal freedom to do so.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • I can and I will make you use a Garm
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #105 on: 18 August 2022, 00:53:58 »
to quote speck "it's complicated"

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 18 August 2022, 05:31:27 »
SKU's are by box, not by miniature. This is why they don't sell individuals except as random draw salvage boxes. Duplicate minis in the boxes allow for a wider range of boxes with less investment in molds and artistic design, and allow for better chance for some mechs to be found by the buyereven if a seller does not stock all the boxes on offer.
Right. But repeats (I daren't use the word duplicates here) of a 'Mech increase the total number of of Lance Packs to cover everything, thus increasing the number of SKU's

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
« Reply #107 on: 18 August 2022, 06:22:46 »
Right. But repeats (I daren't use the word duplicates here) of a 'Mech increase the total number of of Lance Packs to cover everything, thus increasing the number of SKU's
You'll notice, though, that repeats rarely make up the majority of a box, and are usually done for very common 'Mechs that people will naturally want multiple of. I suspect it's also partly to address complaints from people who wanted one 'Mech out of an otherwise undesirable box.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
« Reply #108 on: 18 August 2022, 07:18:32 »
If they were only trying to mitigate SKUs they'd have shoved everything into one big box. They're trying to strike a balance between accessibility, cost, and logistics, which I appreciate even if I really would like to just grab a whole company of wasps.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • I can and I will make you use a Garm
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #109 on: 18 August 2022, 07:45:20 »
SKU reduction doesn’t require the most extreme application of said approach

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
« Reply #110 on: 19 August 2022, 09:30:09 »
I'd like to see a full set of military Technical Manuals for a Timber Wolf.  Something like:

TM9-3000-120-10 Operator's Manual for CW-OM752 Timber Wolf

TM9-3000-120-10HR Basic Issue Items for CW-OM752 Timber Wolf

TM9-3000-120-24-1 General Support for CW-OM752 Timber Wolf (Volumes 1-4)

TM9-3000-120-24P Parts and Special Tools for CW-OM752 Timber Wolf

LO9-3000-120-12 Lubrication Order for CW-OM752 Timber Wolf

Imagine all the time it would take to make up stuff for that!  And with no taxpayer-funded budget  ;D
« Last Edit: 19 August 2022, 09:31:41 by BATTLEMASTER »
BATTLEMASTER

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #111 on: 19 August 2022, 10:24:11 »
I'd like to see a full set of military Technical Manuals for a Timber Wolf.  Something like:

TM9-3000-120-10 Operator's Manual for CW-OM752 Timber Wolf

TM9-3000-120-10HR Basic Issue Items for CW-OM752 Timber Wolf

TM9-3000-120-24-1 General Support for CW-OM752 Timber Wolf (Volumes 1-4)

TM9-3000-120-24P Parts and Special Tools for CW-OM752 Timber Wolf

LO9-3000-120-12 Lubrication Order for CW-OM752 Timber Wolf

Imagine all the time it would take to make up stuff for that!  And with no taxpayer-funded budget  ;D

I physically recoiled in horror from my screen SO HARD at this!  I was just part of the team reviewing changes to the JLTV -20 manual and UGGGHH... hahahaha

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
« Reply #112 on: 19 August 2022, 10:30:59 »
I physically recoiled in horror from my screen SO HARD at this!  I was just part of the team reviewing changes to the JLTV -20 manual and UGGGHH... hahahaha
You have our sympathies, lol. That stuff is always a pain- but done right it can sometimes be an interesting read. Much more fun when it's a giant robot for sure.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
« Reply #113 on: 19 August 2022, 11:00:37 »

;D

One time I met a guy who was involved with reading soldier-submitted revisions for the TMs and redlining the books for publishing in the 1980s.  That's certainly no small feat, and I can't imagine it being any better today, though I'd think the PDFs and electronic TMs help a little bit (ctrl+F has been really helpful with the newer manuals!).

For those who aren't familiar with the TMs, I attached the lube order for the M35A3 2 1/2-ton cargo truck.  I can't post the others since they're each well over 900 KB in size  :P

BATTLEMASTER

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #114 on: 19 August 2022, 11:04:05 »
There's a reason why the "Comment Resolution Matrix" is a thing...  ::)

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: 19 August 2022, 12:14:09 »
I kinda want a short story that is nothing but mech accident reports in the style of FAA accident summaries. Only, they are the most idiotic things that you could see a bored/careless MechWarriors and techs doing. So, the writing tries to be very dry and technical, but is clearly describing some grade-A stupidity. Something like:

"July 7, 3125, New Avalon: Technician Francis was piloting a Javelin 11D after scheduled Gyroscope maintenance as required per the manufacturer's procedures. Upon exiting the Mech cradle, other staff on site noted that the mech appeared unstable, and required multiple course corrections before reaching the testing grounds. Traffic control contacted Technician Francis regarding the excursions from his approved travel corridor, but received no reply. At this point, the Javelin gained speed and proceeded into, across, and out of the designated testing zone at speeds approaching 90kph, far in excess of the manufacturers suggested limits for gyroscope testing and calibration. At this point, Traffic Control declared an emergency, and dispatched an emergency services VTOL to make visual contact with Technician Francis and assess the situation. Before the VTOL arrived, the Javelin made an unauthorized crossing of the M6 highway. The highway was raised approximately 5m above ground level at the location where the mech attempted to cross. The resulting collision collapsed all westbound lanes of the highway, and rendered the eastbound lanes structurally unsound. No motorists were injured. The collision rendered Technician Francis fully unconscious, and knocked the mech onto its back where it recognized the lack of pilot neural input and entered a standby state. Rescue crews, upon evaluating Technician Francis, noted that his blood-alcohol level was four times the legal limit for operating heavy machinery, and showed elevated levels of a compound commonly known as 'Canopian Pixie Dust'. The M6 highway is expected to be closed for no less than three months, and the Javelin suffered extensive damage to its armor and weapons systems, as well as the gyro. It is expected that the Mech will not be recoverable. No adverse weather conditions were reported at the time of the accident."

I would also accept in-universe police reports.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #116 on: 19 August 2022, 12:19:29 »
I'd pay money for a collection of those...  :D

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
« Reply #117 on: 19 August 2022, 12:43:16 »
I'd pay money for a collection of those...  :D

You're in luck - seems @sadlerbw can do them for free!   ;D
BATTLEMASTER

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #118 on: 19 August 2022, 12:44:21 »
Well, at least one!  ;D

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #119 on: 19 August 2022, 13:09:13 »

Yeah; I’ll admit that I don’t think I could stomach a read through 400 pages of CMS-OMENG-5-2.4.0: energy weapon Omni power coupling spec for heavy and assault class omnimechs.

Register