Register Register

Author Topic: Things I would love to see (that would probably lose money)  (Read 7665 times)

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Things I would love to see (that would probably lose money)
« Reply #120 on: 19 August 2022, 21:41:33 »
I'd like to see a full set of military Technical Manuals for a Timber Wolf.  Something like:

TM9-3000-120-10 Operator's Manual for CW-OM752 Timber Wolf

TM9-3000-120-10HR Basic Issue Items for CW-OM752 Timber Wolf

TM9-3000-120-24-1 General Support for CW-OM752 Timber Wolf (Volumes 1-4)

TM9-3000-120-24P Parts and Special Tools for CW-OM752 Timber Wolf

LO9-3000-120-12 Lubrication Order for CW-OM752 Timber Wolf

Imagine all the time it would take to make up stuff for that!  And with no taxpayer-funded budget  ;D
I kinda want a short story that is nothing but mech accident reports in the style of FAA accident summaries. Only, they are the most idiotic things that you could see a bored/careless MechWarriors and techs doing. So, the writing tries to be very dry and technical, but is clearly describing some grade-A stupidity. Something like:

"July 7, 3125, New Avalon: Technician Francis was piloting a Javelin 11D after scheduled Gyroscope maintenance as required per the manufacturer's procedures. Upon exiting the Mech cradle, other staff on site noted that the mech appeared unstable, and required multiple course corrections before reaching the testing grounds. Traffic control contacted Technician Francis regarding the excursions from his approved travel corridor, but received no reply. At this point, the Javelin gained speed and proceeded into, across, and out of the designated testing zone at speeds approaching 90kph, far in excess of the manufacturers suggested limits for gyroscope testing and calibration. At this point, Traffic Control declared an emergency, and dispatched an emergency services VTOL to make visual contact with Technician Francis and assess the situation. Before the VTOL arrived, the Javelin made an unauthorized crossing of the M6 highway. The highway was raised approximately 5m above ground level at the location where the mech attempted to cross. The resulting collision collapsed all westbound lanes of the highway, and rendered the eastbound lanes structurally unsound. No motorists were injured. The collision rendered Technician Francis fully unconscious, and knocked the mech onto its back where it recognized the lack of pilot neural input and entered a standby state. Rescue crews, upon evaluating Technician Francis, noted that his blood-alcohol level was four times the legal limit for operating heavy machinery, and showed elevated levels of a compound commonly known as 'Canopian Pixie Dust'. The M6 highway is expected to be closed for no less than three months, and the Javelin suffered extensive damage to its armor and weapons systems, as well as the gyro. It is expected that the Mech will not be recoverable. No adverse weather conditions were reported at the time of the accident."

I would also accept in-universe police reports.
See the problem with these two posts is that they require 'Mechs to undergo regular maintenance, something that isn't true.

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
« Reply #121 on: 19 August 2022, 23:23:01 »
Mechs absolutely undergo regular maintenance, nearly every mech unit has an attachment of support personnel to do just that between battles.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #122 on: 20 August 2022, 07:12:00 »
In campaign play, absolutely.  Most games (it seems, judging by what's posted on this forum) are pick up play.

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #123 on: 20 August 2022, 15:21:36 »
And of course, sometimes Mechs can jump into action after a couple of centuries hangar time (refer Cache, Star League)   ;)
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #124 on: 20 August 2022, 16:13:03 »
In campaign play, absolutely.  Most games (it seems, judging by what's posted on this forum) are pick up play.

I believe @SCC was considering part of the setting where it is hard to maintain some of these machines, leading to some of them being lostech designs.  Otherwise, yes, I agree that they'd realistically undergo PMCS.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #125 on: 20 August 2022, 18:37:25 »
I believe @SCC was considering part of the setting where it is hard to maintain some of these machines, leading to some of them being lostech designs.  Otherwise, yes, I agree that they'd realistically undergo PMCS.
Kind of, I'm talking more about the Mad Max vibe. Helm was a controlled storage facility completely intact after 250 years of no maintenance and everything worked fine, the 'Mechs in it weren't even actually mothballed if I understand thing correct. And that's far from the biggest example. I'm pretty sure there's a story that features a 'Mech sitting in a swamp for years (Maybe a century) and nit worked fine. And this is a reoccurring thing in BT.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #126 on: 20 August 2022, 18:44:24 »
Clearly Star League lubricants are immortal...  ^-^

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #127 on: 20 August 2022, 19:02:01 »
Clearly Star League lubricants are immortal...  ^-^

That explains a lot about Canopus   :D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #128 on: 20 August 2022, 19:31:47 »
:toofunny:

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #129 on: 20 August 2022, 19:37:46 »
Immortal, not immoral! ;D
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
« Reply #130 on: 20 August 2022, 20:13:07 »
That escalated quickly  ;D

Kind of, I'm talking more about the Mad Max vibe. Helm was a controlled storage facility completely intact after 250 years of no maintenance and everything worked fine, the 'Mechs in it weren't even actually mothballed if I understand thing correct. And that's far from the biggest example. I'm pretty sure there's a story that features a 'Mech sitting in a swamp for years (Maybe a century) and nit worked fine. And this is a reoccurring thing in BT.

I was wondering about the Mad Max thing too, which seems a somewhat regional thing in-universe.  I wonder if those Star League libraries had all those TMs  :D
BATTLEMASTER

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #131 on: 20 August 2022, 20:42:22 »
I was wondering about the Mad Max thing too, which seems a somewhat regional thing in-universe.  I wonder if those Star League libraries had all those TMs  :D
Seems to be a galaxy wide thing, I mean the Clans put lots of stuff into storage when they left the Pentagon worlds, and possibly even before that, and didn't pull it out until the WoR, and it still all worked fine, and the rest of the Deep Periphery seems to be even worse on equipment and it still lasts forever.

And as we've just established, there are no maintenance manuals in BT, stuff doesn't need maintenance.

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #132 on: 20 August 2022, 20:58:08 »
That escalated quickly  ;D

Great Houses, Landed Nobility, and Elite Mercenary units never struck me as very Mad Max-ish.

TheoLehman

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #133 on: 20 August 2022, 22:20:05 »
I know the Mad Max comparisons are referring to centuries-old BattleMechs kept fighting by using parts scrounged from wrecked 'Mechs, but how many banged-up but mostly functional tanks do you see in Mad Max?
All the vehicles in Mad Max are civilian machines with slapdash upgrades in the form of weapons and armor.  So we're talking IndustrialMech MODs if anything.

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
« Reply #134 on: 20 August 2022, 22:48:52 »
In the fiction sure, sometimes mechs that've been depowered for centuries just get up and run just fine, but that's mostly because it makes a cool story. And hey, maybe those old star league facilities had some automated functions to do the bare minimum maintenance, or just some really lucky dice rolls. Theoretically it's possible to get phenomenally lucky with the passive deterioration rolls  :P

Seems to be a galaxy wide thing, I mean the Clans put lots of stuff into storage when they left the Pentagon worlds, and possibly even before that, and didn't pull it out until the WoR, and it still all worked fine, and the rest of the Deep Periphery seems to be even worse on equipment and it still lasts forever.

And as we've just established, there are no maintenance manuals in BT, stuff doesn't need maintenance.

Mothballed stuff does last pretty much forever, you just have to spend some time getting it up and running again, time the wolves certainly had on their way to the sphere. And even if the periphery has crappy equipment and can't make it better, they can still keep it from getting even worse.

I think we only established that there aren't any maintenance manuals for sale in our world, not that they don't exist in the fiction.

Anyways, I think we've gotten wildly off topic; sorry for starting the debate. If anyone wants to continue let's just start another thread.
« Last Edit: 20 August 2022, 22:50:35 by Richard S. »

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #135 on: 21 August 2022, 08:54:44 »

Its been a long time since I read the book, but I thought they made a plot point of not having enough time to get any of the stored 'mechs up and running before ComStar caught up with them. No?

Elmoth

• Captain
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #136 on: 21 August 2022, 16:04:53 »
TRO: LAM
With rules that make LAM not a pain to play.
With a lot of LAMa, including robotech ones. And LAM being made mainstream (not undesirable footnote) again as they should always have been. And give them all the needed advances to compete in the modern battlefield being made useful.

We talk about losing money, right?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #137 on: 21 August 2022, 19:46:22 »
TRO: LAM
With rules that make LAM not a pain to play.
With a lot of LAMa, including robotech ones. And LAM being made mainstream (not undesirable footnote) again as they should always have been. And give them all the needed advances to compete in the modern battlefield being made useful.

We talk about losing money, right?

Always want a TRO. But put some aerotech in that TRO and it will do its best to lose money.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

500 is the number of Warships just passed the 567
 Battlemechs I now own.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
« Reply #138 on: 21 August 2022, 20:47:29 »
Always want a TRO. But put some aerotech in that TRO and it will do its best to lose money.

Also include art of warships being cut up for scrap - most $$$ lost there alone  ;D
BATTLEMASTER

SirFozzie

• Private
« Reply #139 on: 22 August 2022, 08:19:20 »
I got one word for you.

Dropships.

TRO: Dropships (with the Argo)

Dropship-Shaped Mech Carrying cases.

Dropships to put on your Battletech Map.

Lego DropShips with Mechs stored inside.

(Homer Simpson voice): mmmm.. Dropships...

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #140 on: 22 August 2022, 08:42:40 »
I got one word for you.

Dropships.

TRO: Dropships (with the Argo)

Dropship-Shaped Mech Carrying cases.

Dropships to put on your Battletech Map.

Lego DropShips with Mechs stored inside.

(Homer Simpson voice): mmmm.. Dropships...

How about a ‘mech scale Overlord or Union plush which doubles as a decent sized throw pillow?

SirFozzie

• Private
« Reply #141 on: 22 August 2022, 08:46:51 »
As long as a suitably sized inflatable is made for GenCon (with Herb the Urbie at the right scale) as well. ;)

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #142 on: 22 August 2022, 08:59:50 »
It would be wildly impractical but also incredibly dope if, at a con, CGL had their booth(s) inside of a life-size (or near-life-size) Union tent. Or hell, I'd even settle for a Leopard or Intruder.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

SirFozzie

• Private
« Reply #143 on: 22 August 2022, 09:19:35 »
(last one, I promise)

This was prompted by looking at my Battletech hoodie, and realizing that we need more BattleTech branded things for folks to see in public....

How about more BattleTech Stickers:

"This house is not protected by Atlas Security. It is however protected by Atlas! Security!"

or a Car Bumper Sticker:

"My other ride is a Savannah Master"
"Honk if you love Urbie"
"If you can read this, you have accepted my batchall..."

And finally, the champion of kitsch: T-Shirts!

"I fought in the Battle of Tukkayid, and all I got was this stupid t-shirt" (change out Tukkayid to key battles that the nations of the Inner Sphere fought in (For example, Hesperus II, Luthien, Coventry, Huntress, Strana Mechty, etcetera) and you could even sell it in different (national) colors!

edit (LAST LAST ONE.): You remember those Napoleon Dynamite "Vote for Pedro" shirts? How about one with the Star League logo that says "Vote for Cameron"...
« Last Edit: 22 August 2022, 09:23:27 by SirFozzie »

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
« Reply #144 on: 22 August 2022, 09:22:42 »
I'll do you one better in the apparel department: Urbie beanie.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

SirFozzie

• Private
« Reply #145 on: 22 August 2022, 09:28:12 »
Or a beer hat shaped like a Union Dropship.

(god, brain, STOP IT.)

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
« Reply #146 on: 22 August 2022, 09:41:53 »
If it was a beer hat it would be a JumpShip with a pair of docked Aqueducts.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #147 on: 22 August 2022, 10:12:11 »
As long as a suitably sized inflatable is made for GenCon (with Herb the Urbie at the right scale) as well. ;)

"Herb the Urbie"?

- Herb

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #148 on: 22 August 2022, 10:35:44 »
"Herb the Urbie"?

- Herb

We have seen photos of you. It is undeniably obvious that you share a suspicious likeness to Oscar the Grouch. ;)

If I am never seen again, check the Tetatae homeworld... I'm sure that's where Herb will have stuck me.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

SirFozzie

• Private
« Reply #149 on: 22 August 2022, 10:45:33 »
"Herb the Urbie"?

- Herb

It was the nickname given to the giant inflatable mech at GenCon by the /Battletech reddit group (probably just for the rhyme scheme, but it does fit ;))

https://www.reddit.com/r/battletech/comments/wh2c0s/this_fine_mech_needs_a_name_indymech_urby_500/

Register