Register Register

Author Topic: Things I would love to see (that would probably lose money)  (Read 12215 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Things I would love to see (that would probably lose money)
« Reply #210 on: 20 September 2022, 17:57:01 »
An official BattleTech FAQ would be pretty awesome!  :thumbsup:

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #211 on: 20 September 2022, 18:58:57 »
An official BattleTech FAQ would be pretty awesome!  :thumbsup:

Make it online, so someone can update it freely as needed?

But that would be basically taking the entire "BattleTech Game Rules Questions" sub-forum and putting that in a single location

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #212 on: 20 September 2022, 19:00:06 »
LOL... it's already in a "single" location... HERE!  :D

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #213 on: 23 September 2022, 04:51:54 »
LOL... it's already in a "single" location... HERE!  :D

True, but it would be organized and easily searchable.  A downloaded flat file is much easier for a person to search through than making the forum DB do the searching for them

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #214 on: 23 September 2022, 08:18:14 »
3078 Fuel Cell Revolution TRO . With a bunch of Industrial mechs and a huge number of combat vehicles.   

Campaign Gizzette  charts with time consumed to travel between 2 systems by one jump ship or command circuit.  And a logistics manual .

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #215 on: 24 September 2022, 08:33:19 »
jumping back on the vehicle type and infantry tro's ... Trailer Tech! different types of trailers including table matrices that help calculate the new cruise/flank movement based on the differing tractor and tonnages, engine types, (and whatever else there is!)
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

VanVelding

• Master Sergeant
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #216 on: 24 September 2022, 09:24:17 »
I'd actually like a handbook/reference/Visual ID guide that's an in-universe document for mechwarriors.

It would include several dozen entries on the most common infantry, vees, 'mechs, fighters, or dropships they'll see during deployment, with headings like 'How to Use,' 'How to Work With,' 'How to Fight,' and 'You'll Spend a Lot of Time on These so Bring a Book.' Add in several 'combat photos' from black boxes, recon probes, etc. with notable features highlighted.

Maybe even game stats and fluff descriptions of how non-'mech units operate on the battlefield. Highlight rare weapons and equipment.

It'd be small, so it would only cover one region of the universe and the equipment commonly found in it. Definitely tied to one era. The fluff would be tied directly to a core novel, with references in the footnotes.

Art costs would be prohibitive ("We need three pictures of a Warhammer, but make one 24 pixels wide"). Enfranchised fans would hate it for being redundant with TROs and not including their favorite unit. CGL seems allergic to explicitly linking game books and fiction. Guaranteed money pit.

I kinda want a short story that is nothing but mech accident reports in the style of FAA accident summaries. Only, they are the most idiotic things that you could see a bored/careless MechWarriors and techs doing. So, the writing tries to be very dry and technical, but is clearly describing some grade-A stupidity.
This sounds fun. I've been enjoying reading the Battlecorps .pdfs and hoping it's got some similar stories coming.

TRO: Buildings and structures
I would absolutely love this as a part of scenarios book. Having default buildings for firebases, local HQs, research labs, turrets, etc. (with cardboard templates?) seems like it would save some word space in those types of books or allow a quick swap-out of game elements to adjust objective difficulty.

An in-depth field manual for the Word of Blake during the entirety of the Jihad. Deeper looks at each of the units including the Thuggees and mercenaries. Plus all the bios for various WOB characters we only have a bare mention of. I know it’s a divisive period but it’s easily become my favorite era. Herb and everyone else should be proud.
I think a historical handbook published on the remaining hidden worlds in the 32nd Century would be a fine framing this. I feel like the chaos of the Jihad gives a lot of narrative freedom, but once that narrative freedom gets used up, there's merit in pulling back the curtain. Could slip in some ideas about the WoB's remnants' next move in there too.
I also have a blog about gaming, comics, and news at vanvelding.blogspot.

Ogra_Chief

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #217 on: 24 September 2022, 19:54:26 »
I’ll bite as well.

Need a full spread on the current Court fashion for each of the current Houses ALA, Tharkad Vanity Fair and New Avalon GQ. Does my ruby encrusted vibrodagger still cut-it or do I need to go old school ferro-titanium calvary sabre on Atreus with my leather high boots? Luthien? Sian?  Do I go cape or sash?

I am sure most of your characters are grizzled old wardogs in it for the honor and glory but mine is a self-indulged social warrior purely in it for the women, fame and fortune; mainly for the fame . He has to look the part of a free-lance merc out about in Court. For the love god people there are endorsement deals to be had. Those mechwarrior onesies are not going to sell themselves. Proper Court exposure is important if I am going to appear in the next Immortal Warrior spin-off.

So while I appreciate everyone’s desire for the next great logistics manual. We really do have to set real-world priorities here.

P.S. It would be great if AI (see BOLOs) was suddenly a thing.
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #218 on: 26 September 2022, 07:54:22 »
Force Manual: Special Forces

I'd love to get more lore rules SCAs for various special forces groups, from the MI6 to Ebon Magistrate to DEST. Granted, these are mostly infantry groups probably better suited to an RPG supplement, but if even the Saurimat maintain an active BattleMech force you can't convince me that, say for example, LOKI doesn't have some respectable in-house armored and support assets.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

nova_dew

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #219 on: 26 September 2022, 16:11:50 »
TRO: Creameries. where are they?, what is the state of craft cheese making through the ages?, how has the proliferation of first SL tech, then the down turn in the SW, followed by the Helm Memory Core recovery, then resurgence of IS tech innovation and finally Clan tech effected dairy products? is Clan Cheese just extra light Cheddar? is there a Free Guild grey market in more explicit Cheeses? what about Dark Caste Cheeses?
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #220 on: 26 September 2022, 16:58:23 »
And which cheeses were outlawed by the Ares Conventions, but still used in the Reunification War?
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Rodwonder

• Recruit
« Reply #221 on: 26 September 2022, 17:40:07 »
So perusing through some old scenario books like Foxes Teeth and 4th Suc. War, I had a thought... Which might not be good in itself "Me Thinking that Is"... But about a large 50 to 60 or more scenario book with all kinds of different situations through the eras. It would be fun for old hands like many and probably helpful for a lot of the new people coming into the Battletech Universe. Loved those old scenario books like Tales Of The Black Widow. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #222 on: 26 September 2022, 18:39:18 »
Force Manual: Special Forces

I'd love to get more lore rules SCAs for various special forces groups, from the MI6 to Ebon Magistrate to DEST. Granted, these are mostly infantry groups probably better suited to an RPG supplement, but if even the Saurimat maintain an active BattleMech force you can't convince me that, say for example, LOKI doesn't have some respectable in-house armored and support assets.
An AToW/TW update to the Intelligence Operations Handbook would indeed be awesome!  :thumbsup:

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #223 on: 26 September 2022, 19:55:20 »
If we want to go bonkers on a book that's not really needed and only a few would ask for, TRO: Small Arms. It's not needed because the game at large focuses on armor warfare and the needed rules for existing weapons exist but I be the jackass who would put way too much man power and man hours in a book explaining away stuff that doesn't matter like the goofy numbers for the TK Assault Rifle and the Rorynex RM-3 along with allot of new artwork as allot of Fasa era art honestly look like sketches Steve Venter's sent over to the editor for approval that ended up being printed to meet a publishing deadline.

It's time, money, effort better off spent on other core books and like many sci-fi weapon catalogs will look dated in a few years but I woulds still do it as a FPS nerd.     
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #224 on: 26 September 2022, 20:06:03 »
At the TW scale, such a TRO would have to be filtered through the Infantry TRO.  Organization matters as much as the arms themselves in such a universe.

nova_dew

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #225 on: 27 September 2022, 05:43:31 »
TRO: TRO's a constantly updated and re-released TRO of TRO's, with a description (but not contents) of each TRO and revision of each TRO, including this TRO (so if there's an error in the TRO, you don't only issue errata, you release a new version of this TRO with an added entry for this new release for the new release). including paper type, weight and origins (from Tree to printing house), binding glue type, consistency, origin and application method, an entry for each ink used, noting colour, pigment to medium ratio, pigment and medium origins, location used and size of application in pixels, full ATOW and the other one stats for everyone involved in the production of a TRO, both digital and DTF, also full BT stats to field them as a unit armed with what they use in their job

Richard S.

• Sergeant
  • Coming through
« Reply #226 on: 28 September 2022, 01:12:00 »
Not actually sure how unviable this is as a product idea, but I'd love a starter book for the Ilclan era. I picked up Sword & Dragon the other day and it's incredible for getting a feel for the late succession wars and how the stuff on the board relates to the game world. A similar boots on the ground perspective of the new era showcasing some of the tech and units would be lovely.

nova_dew

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #227 on: 28 September 2022, 07:32:49 »
Not actually sure how unviable this is as a product idea, but I'd love a starter book for the Ilclan era. I picked up Sword & Dragon the other day and it's incredible for getting a feel for the late succession wars and how the stuff on the board relates to the game world. A similar boots on the ground perspective of the new era showcasing some of the tech and units would be lovely.

I think it could be do-able, profitable is another story, but then again i'm sure the people on this forum would buy just about anything upto and including BT-TP for use after BT cereal in their BT bowl, with their BT coffee in their BT mug :-\ , do a battle or campaign book/compilation from the era (taking from ilClan, Tamar Rising, Empire alone, Dominions divided, the last one, add in a few new ones, as a bonus for people who have the other books) and bundle it with two of the box sets of mini's with about equal BV, since pretty much everyone can get everything from the RG's they just have to make sure the box sets are generic enough

Ghaz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #228 on: 10 October 2022, 20:05:13 »
I don't know if this one belongs here (because I believe this one would actually make money ;) ) but I would like to see a small scenery sprue with bits to go on the 'Mech bases (things like rubble, destroyed bits of 'Mechs, etc.).

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #229 on: 11 October 2022, 07:59:40 »
I'd really adore some more lore, units, Chaos tracks, etc. for early Age of War (from, say, the Second Cold War to James McKenna's creation of the Terran Hegemony). I'd absolutely shell out if we could somehow get a whole sourcebook of it.

Hell, I'd take the time out of my schedule to write the damn thing myself, with guidance from TPTB of course.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Moragion

• Sergeant
« Reply #230 on: 11 October 2022, 10:45:58 »
Edited
« Last Edit: 11 October 2022, 11:25:10 by Moragion »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #231 on: 11 October 2022, 19:52:43 »
I'd really adore some more lore, units, Chaos tracks, etc. for early Age of War (from, say, the Second Cold War to James McKenna's creation of the Terran Hegemony). I'd absolutely shell out if we could somehow get a whole sourcebook of it.

Hell, I'd take the time out of my schedule to write the damn thing myself, with guidance from TPTB of course.
I'd buy that...  8)

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
  • A great starter adventure.
« Reply #232 on: 15 October 2022, 00:37:03 »
The Army gets a lot of love already so I propose losing money on the Navy:
  • A gloriously illustrated Leopard users manual with flip-mat deck plans for use in AToW boarding actions, and maybe an RPG adventure or two included.
  • A new TRO 3057 with bad-a** flying skyscraper art for warships to give BT it's own warship aesthetic
  • Alternate aerospace construction and transit rules pdf/epub with pseudo-realistic physics from Cray.
Oh, and just for kicks...
  • Whatever Herb was going to write for 3250.  I'm curious what he had in mind, hopefully something completely new.
« Last Edit: 16 October 2022, 00:54:08 by bytedruid »
Hat tips to Slightlylyons who fixed aerotech in one post and to Daryk for organized cool stuff.

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #233 on: 15 October 2022, 01:20:49 »
So with that, Mech-scale Leopards, or Map-scale Leopards as models to go with that?  Unions?  Overlords?  Fortresses?
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

VensersRevenge

• Warrant Officer
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #234 on: 15 October 2022, 01:21:09 »
A book where the Draconis Combine, Capellan Confederation, Free Worlds League or affiliate states, Lyran Commonwealth/Alliance/Commonwealth, and various Clans conduct naval warfare solely by ramming maneuvers so everyone stops pretending it's somehow Federated Suns doctrine and not writers being overdramatic and unrealistic.
...Is this just fantasy?
Playing in Kingston Ontario
Message if you want to organize a game

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #235 on: 15 October 2022, 01:26:49 »
So with that, Mech-scale Leopards, or Map-scale Leopards as models to go with that?  Unions?  Overlords?  Fortresses?
Those have been made, don't know if they are still available.  I have a Fortress (I think) and an Overload from Iron Wind Metals laying around that I still need to paint.  The mech-scale Leopard I picked up a few years back is pretty cool, if a bit plain.  I cut wheel wells out of the model and created landing gear so it can look like a jumbo jet touching down.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2022, 01:29:36 by bytedruid »
Hat tips to Slightlylyons who fixed aerotech in one post and to Daryk for organized cool stuff.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #236 on: 15 October 2022, 05:35:31 »
I've done a couple of deck plans (linked in my sig block), but not a Leopard yet.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #237 on: 15 October 2022, 16:30:31 »
Oh, and just for kicks...
  • Whatever Herb was going to write for 3250.  I'm curious what he had in mind, hopefully something completely new.

That stings...

- Herb

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #238 on: 16 October 2022, 00:34:29 »
That stings...

- Herb
Whoops, I messed up there and forgot about the premise of the thread.  Please accept my apology.  Suggesting your work wouldn't sell was not my intent at all, though I admit, it sure sounded that way.

I'd personally buy any BT material you write, and am disappointed that we never got to see what you had in mind.  I especially liked the gritty details in the RPG adventures that you wrote.  Would buy a book of them at double MSRP and still consider it a bargain.
« Last Edit: 16 October 2022, 00:51:06 by bytedruid »

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #239 on: 16 October 2022, 00:47:52 »
I've done a couple of deck plans (linked in my sig block), but not a Leopard yet.
I've seen those.  Thanks a lot for working on them.

As long as we're on a pipe-dream thread, what I'd really get a kick out of would be for an actual engineer with CAD experience to run the numbers on:
  • Fuel storage and routing
  • Hull integrity
  • Reactor Vessel size
  • Heat dissipation in a vacuum
  • Lift vs. drag comparisons
  • etc.
and then produce the layout.  The materials involved could be, and should be, fantastical but the design process would be standard engineering after that.  From the engineering models the floor plans fall out as a by product.

It's just the kind of effort that would cost real $$$, and would only be appreciated by a few, thus no profit.
« Last Edit: 16 October 2022, 00:51:56 by bytedruid »