Register Register

Author Topic: Upcoming Releases XIX: "An IlClan, If You Can Keep It"  (Read 70751 times)

Ruger

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: Upcoming Releases XIX: "An IlClan, If You Can Keep It"
« Reply #960 on: 11 April 2021, 12:18:41 »
At least the cover looks nice.

Isn’t there an old saying about books and covers?  ::) ;)

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • The 1st Federated Suns Lancers will arise again!
« Reply #961 on: 11 April 2021, 12:42:31 »
One of the books that wasn't horrible but the events and characters literally were meaningless in the greater universe. Did that world or characters ever even get referenced again?
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #962 on: 11 April 2021, 12:55:50 »
One of the books that wasn't horrible but the events and characters literally were meaningless in the greater universe. Did that world or characters ever even get referenced again?

No.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #963 on: 11 April 2021, 20:48:04 »
We are proud to announce that the reprint of the third Dark Ages novel, Ruins of Power by Robert E Vardeman,

Proud?  Really the word you meant to use . . . might be stretching that definition a bit.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #964 on: 11 April 2021, 21:06:34 »
Isn’t there an old saying about books and covers?  ::) ;)

Ruger

I think I have made my opinions on book very clear from the day I read it, I simply wanted to give credit to the artist as it's the only part of the book to enjoy.

My apologies to Robert E Vardeman, I really don't enoy being yet another internet critic but... dude... why?
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #965 on: 11 April 2021, 21:16:07 »
For him it was a paycheck...

But also, it's a chance to get publish as well.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

StoryReader

• Sergeant
« Reply #966 on: 11 April 2021, 22:02:21 »
I found it dull, the pacifism angle might of worked in some Star Trek novel, but didn't really fit our beloved fighting universe, and a whole lot of nothing kept happening.

I remember when it came out (18 years ago!!! :D) one of the main points of contention wasn't the things that we criticize it for today, but many fans were were adamant that "Clanner's don't rape!!!" and so one character's backstory was seen as an example of the author knowing nothing about the setting.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #967 on: 11 April 2021, 22:49:22 »
I found it dull, the pacifism angle might of worked in some Star Trek novel, but didn't really fit our beloved fighting universe, and a whole lot of nothing kept happening.

I remember when it came out (18 years ago!!! :D) one of the main points of contention wasn't the things that we criticize it for today, but many fans were were adamant that "Clanner's don't rape!!!" and so one character's backstory was seen as an example of the author knowing nothing about the setting.

It wasn't even about Pacifism, only one character was a Pacifist while everyone around him had no trouble using violence.
Minor Spoilers:
You may have mistakenly believe it was about pacifism as almost nothing happens in the first half of the book out side of a simulated fight that was more exciting than any of the real fighting in the rest of the damn story. Really, the book was about morons. There is like one competent character in the whole book and he is always pushed to the back of the narrative to focus on a idiot family and two Disney level villains. One of two said villains has so little dialog, calling him a villain may be giving him too much credit, more like a hand puppet to a bargain bin Cruella Deville. Honestly, add some good jokes and you can make a episode of The Venture Bros out of it but as something trying to be taken seriously, it's a headache.       

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #968 on: 12 April 2021, 06:43:24 »
Is possible Ruins of Power was written for younger audience / readership?  Way it's described (yes i read it and thought it wasn't great) now, sounds like it was. Not well written for them but fairly dead on for something like that.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #969 on: 12 April 2021, 10:59:19 »
Is possible Ruins of Power was written for younger audience / readership?  Way it's described (yes i read it and thought it wasn't great) now, sounds like it was. Not well written for them but fairly dead on for something like that.
No, this was like many other books based on other game properties: not much effort put into it thinking fans of the game will buy it regardless.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #970 on: 12 April 2021, 11:16:32 »
No, this was like many other books based on other game properties: not much effort put into it thinking fans of the game will buy it regardless.

Hey, some of those Wing Commander books were good . . . but yeah, others were stinkers.
Colt Ward

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #971 on: 12 April 2021, 17:11:01 »

See also: the entire Star Wars expanded universe
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #972 on: 12 April 2021, 17:13:54 »
my home is now graced by two copies of what one user called "an assault against literature"

that's the kind of reviews i'm hoping for if i ever write for BT, honestly

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #973 on: 12 April 2021, 18:52:02 »
my home is now graced by two copies of what one user called "an assault against literature"

that's the kind of reviews i'm hoping for if i ever write for BT, honestly

The thought of scoring a review like that kinda makes me want to submit my Hanse Davion Isekai idea to Shrapnel.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #975 on: 13 April 2021, 15:16:02 »
 . . . was that the late notice?  It would seem to make the MW5 stories canon . . .
Colt Ward

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #976 on: 13 April 2021, 15:17:48 »
I think I'm now up to half a dozen novels I want to buy... 3 of them BattleTech lol
Below are links to my fan fiction pages.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-(full)/

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-full-part-2/

As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #977 on: 13 April 2021, 16:01:54 »
just popped up on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092G6MJ4Q/

Thanks!

The cover is ... confusing. I get it is actually three covers for the digital anthology pieced together but it feels very forced.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #978 on: 13 April 2021, 16:11:44 »
Interested in it for the making of, if only to see if it explains why some of the stuff about Nikolai Mason's background differs between the Origin stories and the game (intention to ensure the stories were always TT canon vs unintentional as game development changed the goalposts during writing)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • The 1st Federated Suns Lancers will arise again!
« Reply #979 on: 13 April 2021, 16:39:40 »
I'll wait for the print copy.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #981 on: 13 April 2021, 18:29:03 »
No, The Mercenary Life mentioned it was the start of series of fiction on the ELH but that is a LOT of stories.

Guess this was the big announcement teased end of last week that was delayed?

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #982 on: 13 April 2021, 18:31:08 »
That’s a whole lot of light horse

Adrian Gideon

• Battletech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #983 on: 13 April 2021, 18:36:48 »
Guess this was the big announcement teased end of last week that was delayed?
And it’s still not ready, so don’t believe anything on that page until the link is officially released.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #984 on: 13 April 2021, 18:44:45 »
And it’s still not ready, so don’t believe anything on that page until the link is officially released.

“Replace all references to ELH with the Black Thorns”

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #985 on: 13 April 2021, 18:44:58 »

*Ray, dressed up as Obi-wan Kenobi* "these aren't the Mercs you're looking for...."  ;D ;D

Craig
Author -- "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "Snipe Hunt," "Groundpounder," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Color of Authority," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Warrior's Song," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and the Novel, Icons of War.

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

FenderSaxbey

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #986 on: 13 April 2021, 19:35:05 »
Gotta say, that's a pretty great idea; a months-long series of fiction releases following the ELH through the ages. Really looking forward to that.

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #987 on: 13 April 2021, 19:41:23 »
Nice.   :thumbsup:
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #988 on: 13 April 2021, 19:44:37 »
The first eight stories of this anthology were originally posted for free alongside the release of the MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, acting as the origin stories for the mercenary command within that computer game. This is the first time they have been compiled into a single volume to allow for a Print on Demand physical copy.

Additionally, an all-new ninth entry has been added—The Sun Will Rise—along with postscripts for every story that gives the reader insight into how stories are crafted within a shared universe between tabletop, computer games, and fiction that spans more than thirty years and tens of millions of words.

Anyone else think they need to make that part in a larger, Bold font?   ???  I can already hear the crying about how, "We already got this last year!", followed by, "Just like them to rehash something to make more money!", for a product someone is Apparently holding a gun to their head to make them buy it.   ::)

Personally, I'M looking forward to the POD!   :thumbsup:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

ChrystalNiNja88

• Corporal
  • THE WORD, THE WORD, THE WORD....
« Reply #989 on: 13 April 2021, 21:34:30 »
Nice, the ELH. Surprised to see them getting so much spotlight. They were my go-to merc unit when me and my buddy would duke it out (he would invariably be Wolf's Dragoons). Spray painted a lot of my intro tech minis olive drab so they could pass as SLDF and ELH units.
Socket to me! -Robot Nixon

Register