Register Register

Author Topic: Upcoming Releases XX: The Page Reference We Missed  (Read 47039 times)

Nerroth

• Captain
Re: Upcoming Releases XX: The Page Reference We Missed
« Reply #870 on: 09 July 2021, 11:41:55 »
Hi Nerroth - I wish I had a more satisfying answer for you, but all I can say is that Ray and I are very much aware of the issue you describe. It's been a factor in the core products for a very long time--it's certainly been hashed out in a hundred "how would you redevelop the core boxes/books" threads here on the forums. I don't have any concrete info to pass along other than: we're aware and discuss it from time to time.

Understood.

From what I've seen, most of those discussions you mention have focused on the core books for "classic" BattleTech, to include Total Warfare and its range of companion volumes. I haven't seen so much about how this issue might affect Alpha Strike in particular - but, if it might be a while yet before the current print run of Commander's Edition is sold through, there'd at least be plenty of time to consider the available options.

In the meantime, would it be too soon to ask if any of the rules material to be included in IlClan and Tamar Rising will cover Alpha Strike directly, or if one should wait until after the Master Unit List website is updated to account for each volume in turn?
« Last Edit: 09 July 2021, 11:44:26 by Nerroth »

bobthecoward

• Lieutenant
« Reply #871 on: 09 July 2021, 11:50:03 »
Understood.

From what I've seen, most of those discussions you mention have focused on the core books for "classic" BattleTech, to include Total Warfare and its range of companion volumes. I haven't seen so much about how this issue might affect Alpha Strike in particular - but, if it might be a while yet before the current print run of Commander's Edition is sold through, there'd at least be plenty of time to consider the available options.

In the meantime, would it be too soon to ask if any of the rules material to be included in IlClan and Tamar Rising will cover Alpha Strike directly, or if one should wait until after the Master Unit List website is updated to account for each volume in turn?

Are we expecting something that isn't currently covered by alpha strike?

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #872 on: 09 July 2021, 12:04:23 »
Are we expecting something that isn't currently covered by alpha strike?

If recent sourcebooks are anything to go by, any new Record Sheets one might find in a newly-released book would have their accompanying Unit Cards added to the MUL at some point after its publication. If the same holds for any new units in IlClan and Tamar Rising, well and good.

But if any of these units need new rules in order to operate them in Total Warfare terms, would the corresponding Alpha Strike rules be offered in the same book also?

For example, were IlClan to include the Amarok featured in Hour of the Wolf: would its anti-Death From Above system require new TW and/or AS rules to operate - and, if so, would both sets of rules be offered together, or would the AS rules have to wait for some other venue to be added to that game system?
« Last Edit: 09 July 2021, 12:08:51 by Nerroth »

bobthecoward

• Lieutenant
« Reply #873 on: 09 July 2021, 12:11:53 »
If recent sourcebooks are anything to go by, any new Record Sheets one might find in a newly-released book would have their accompanying Unit Cards added to the MUL at some point after its publication. If the same holds for any new units in IlClan and Tamar Rising, well and good.

But if any of these units need new rules in order to operate them in Total Warfare terms, would the corresponding Alpha Strike rules be offered in the same book also?

For example, were IlClan to include the Amarok featured in Hour of the Wolf: would its anti-Death From Above system require new TW and/or AS rules to operate - and, if so, would both sets of rules be offered together, or would the AS rules have to wait for some other venue to be added to that game system?

From the rec guide we know the amarok has no additional new rules. The mode doesn't work well enough to alter TW scale. I see your point though. I'm betting no new rules (because of things like the rec guide and tros 3145 and 3150 being the units for this setting).

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • All your tulips belong to us.
« Reply #874 on: 09 July 2021, 12:15:56 »

Speaking for Tamar Rising, most of the rules should be applicable to both, or have a note about any differences. "Esprit de Corps (see p. 84, CO and p. 104, AS:CE)." or  "in Alpha Strike,..." or in at least one case, had to add a rule for something that was in AS but not BT.
There are some rules that are purely RPG (ATOW or Destiny) that have no AS equivalent, just as there's no BT equivalent (reputation trait or diplomacy skill for example).

I don't believe there are any discussions of changing the Recognition Guides: ilClan format. It wouldn't get you the AS stats/cards any sooner, it would just delay the release of the Recognition Guides. 

Last I heard, ilClan (the sourcebook) will include AS stats.  I haven't seen all of that to verify.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets, Combat Manual Lite series [Steiner, Liao, Marik, Calderon, Invading Clans, Comstar. Also Record Sheets for the CM: Kurita and CM: Mercs unique pilots]

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #875 on: 09 July 2021, 12:51:32 »
From the rec guide we know the amarok has no additional new rules. The mode doesn't work well enough to alter TW scale. I see your point though. I'm betting no new rules (because of things like the rec guide and tros 3145 and 3150 being the units for this setting).

I haven't been keeping up with the Recognition Guides, so I wasn't aware that the Amarok had been shown already. Thanks for letting me know.

Speaking for Tamar Rising, most of the rules should be applicable to both, or have a note about any differences. "Esprit de Corps (see p. 84, CO and p. 104, AS:CE)." or  "in Alpha Strike,..." or in at least one case, had to add a rule for something that was in AS but not BT.
There are some rules that are purely RPG (ATOW or Destiny) that have no AS equivalent, just as there's no BT equivalent (reputation trait or diplomacy skill for example).

I don't believe there are any discussions of changing the Recognition Guides: ilClan format. It wouldn't get you the AS stats/cards any sooner, it would just delay the release of the Recognition Guides. 

Last I heard, ilClan (the sourcebook) will include AS stats.  I haven't seen all of that to verify.

Sounds good, thank you kindly for the update.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #876 on: 09 July 2021, 13:52:28 »
Apologies for the double-post, but I saw in another thread that Interstellar Operations is out of stock.

If a new print run for IO is being assembled, would it be possible to add a reference to the IlClan Era in that volume - if only to note that it now exists, and to look out for the pending sourcebooks set to cover it in greater detail?

For that matter, could the Clan and Deep Periphery sub-era material from IO's Dark Age Era presentation be updated in order to account for the events of Historical Turning Points: Hanseatic Crusade?

And to double back to Alpha Strike, could the references to AS in that volume be updated to account for Commander's Edition?

Or are these the kind of requests I should be posting elsewhere on the boards going forward?
« Last Edit: 09 July 2021, 13:55:46 by Nerroth »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Battletech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #877 on: 09 July 2021, 14:01:00 »
For any reprints, page number updates are standard going forward.  Introductory material is also continually updated as the game line changes: TW's intro has been rewritten at least twice since the book was first released, for instance.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #878 on: 09 July 2021, 14:02:20 »
If the trend follows, IO will be chopped into at least two pieces like TO. Timeline and alternate eras (~230pg) would theoretically be separated from the Big Combat stuff (~160pg), not unlike battleforce getting yanked from SO

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #879 on: 09 July 2021, 14:11:54 »
I wasn't aware of BattleForce being removed from Strategic Operations. Although I suppose it makes sense for SO to no longer bother with the Quick-Strike rules portion, now that Alpha Strike is a going concern in its own right.

So where is BattleForce to be offered going forward, or has that decision not been announced as of yet? Or to put it another way, if Interstellar Operations is to be split into two volumes for the next re-print, could the BF rules go into whichever product were to house the Strategic BattleForce rules from the current incarnation of IO?

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #880 on: 09 July 2021, 14:19:34 »
Unknown at this time. As it stands, SO is currently essentially Battlespace 2

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • Battletech Developer
  • Captain
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #881 on: 09 July 2021, 14:25:11 »
IO's reprint will be split into two volumes. IO: Alternate Eras, including the...alternate era...material from the original. And IO: BattleForce, which includes all the large-battle material from the original, plus the BattleForce material excised from SO.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #882 on: 09 July 2021, 14:26:32 »
IO's reprint will be split into two volumes. IO: Alternate Eras, including the...alternate era...material from the original. And IO: BattleForce, which includes all the large-battle material from the original, plus the BattleForce material excised from SO.

Oh that's good news. I was wondering what would become of the ruleset. I shall be sure to complete the spine collection.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2021, 14:45:15 by Bedwyr »
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

ShadowSwordmaster

• Sergeant
« Reply #883 on: 09 July 2021, 14:30:08 »
I always wondered what the plan around the IO book. Thanks for the info.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #884 on: 09 July 2021, 14:30:59 »
IO was one of my favorite books.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

500 is the number of Warships Now. 500 looks like it will stay for a long time.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #885 on: 09 July 2021, 14:34:53 »

Thanks for the update.

So, if there are any errata items regarding the Alternate Era material (such as the Hanseatic Crusade note from a previous post), should it go in the errata thread for the "current" version of Interstellar Operations, or instead wait for new threads to be created for the "future" versions?

For that matter, if there is an errata and/or request for the future BattleForce-themed product, where - if anywhere - should that go? (I'm still wondering if there could be room to add force organization data for the Marian Legions, or if that should wait until some future product takes a closer look at their troubles in the wake of Shattered Fortress...)
« Last Edit: 09 July 2021, 14:38:26 by Nerroth »

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #886 on: 09 July 2021, 14:42:52 »
Until a book is published errata goes in the current printing’s thread. Material or formatting you would like to see doesn’t count as errata

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #887 on: 09 July 2021, 15:33:49 »
Can't help but wonder why not just call the IO: BattleForce just BattleForce or some such?
Then again, the whole book felt a bit misnamed, since it wasn't really about interstellar operations ISAW system aside.
Minis needed for Atlas AS7-K2, Stalking Spider II; Kishi, Oni, Zou, Simian, Quirinus and Centaur battle armor; DI Multipurpose VTOL, Kinnol tank, JES III missile carrier.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #888 on: 09 July 2021, 15:44:07 »
Can't help but wonder why not just call the IO: BattleForce just BattleForce or some such?
Then again, the whole book felt a bit misnamed, since it wasn't really about interstellar operations ISAW system aside.

I think the origins came from a framing/organizational idea Randall had when they were wrestling with the original core series design. It's not perfect, but it's kind of cool in a marketing sense (rather than a librarian/organizational sense).
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

klarg1

• Captain
    • Blind Metal Minis
« Reply #889 on: 09 July 2021, 15:54:44 »
I think the origins came from a framing/organizational idea Randall had when they were wrestling with the original core series design. It's not perfect, but it's kind of cool in a marketing sense (rather than a librarian/organizational sense).

Didn't IO come about because SO expanded beyond the scope of a single book during development? The Battletech core rule books have been fractally splitting and expanding for some time.

Regardless of the titles, I think more focused books are a good idea, assuming it remains economically feasible for CGL to publish them.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #890 on: 09 July 2021, 16:58:50 »
Didn't IO come about because SO expanded beyond the scope of a single book during development? The Battletech core rule books have been fractally splitting and expanding for some time.

Regardless of the titles, I think more focused books are a good idea, assuming it remains economically feasible for CGL to publish them.

Yes, but before IO, there came the framing of a staging, widening the engagement scope. The later book splits still retained the idea of staging out. I forget whether the origin was after the Tech Manual or Tac Ops.

cobaltcoil

• Corporal
  • Cry Havoc and Let Loose the Wolves/Coyotes of War
« Reply #891 on: 09 July 2021, 17:27:54 »
So is there any idea or word if anything is coming out today?

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #892 on: 09 July 2021, 17:42:26 »
There was nothing on the calendar

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #893 on: 13 July 2021, 11:41:00 »
I'm hoping we'll get some fiction this week. Either general release or Kickstarter exclusive.

Lost Worlds part three anytime soon?
I have spoken.

bobthecoward

• Lieutenant
« Reply #894 on: 13 July 2021, 11:42:56 »
Are things looking on track for IlClan in August?

MarauderD

• Captain
« Reply #895 on: 13 July 2021, 11:56:06 »
I'm really looking forward to ilClan, the final 6 volumes of the Recognition Guides, and more fiction.  August can't come soon enough! (not to mention my lovely children go back to school in August.....)

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #896 on: 15 July 2021, 09:21:16 »
So . . . love to get a official sheet for this, since it was left off the Centurion O variants (and the cover indicates it is a Cent-O rather than a CN9-D series), since Fortress of Lies was released again.

Erik Sandoval pilots a Centurion in the book, as I said cover indicates a Omni though I do not recall speed being said yet, that has jump jets, laser(s?) (with range complimentary to LRMs), LRM or MML launcher . . . and a light gauss rifle.  Now the E has a Gauss Rifle, LRMs and MLs but has electronics w/o being able to jump.  Aside from the cover, the CN9-D3D/D4D could match up IF it was given JJs . . . and it had Clan ERMLs at least if not a ERLL or either flavor.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #897 on: 15 July 2021, 09:32:13 »
So . . . love to get a official sheet for this, since it was left off the Centurion O variants (and the cover indicates it is a Cent-O rather than a CN9-D series), since Fortress of Lies was released again.

Erik Sandoval pilots a Centurion in the book, as I said cover indicates a Omni though I do not recall speed being said yet, that has jump jets, laser(s?) (with range complimentary to LRMs), LRM or MML launcher . . . and a light gauss rifle.  Now the E has a Gauss Rifle, LRMs and MLs but has electronics w/o being able to jump.  Aside from the cover, the CN9-D3D/D4D could match up IF it was given JJs . . . and it had Clan ERMLs at least if not a ERLL or either flavor.

I believe it was the CN9-D3D, since the Dark Age Record Sheet book had it's stats in it.  Remember the stats were kinda vague during that time, but the inversion of the OmniMech version of the Centurion had been introduced yet when the book was published.  As it stands, i think CN9-D3D is only found in MW: RS book 1 aside from MegMekLab.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #898 on: 15 July 2021, 09:35:45 »
None of the D3D/D4D jump, Erik's jumped . . . and the cover is the Omni.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #899 on: 15 July 2021, 10:31:25 »
Are things looking on track for IlClan in August?

If the boat arrives on time