Register Register

Author Topic: Upcoming Releases XXII: What's the Catch?  (Read 74393 times)

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Upcoming Releases XXII: What's the Catch?
« Reply #450 on: 27 January 2022, 23:37:45 »
Is that the first Jagermech to ever grace a novel cover?

Nope, End Game had one in the background.

Also, novel or novella?
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Orwell84

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #451 on: 27 January 2022, 23:43:10 »
Always nice to see the upcoming releases page updated, thank you sir. Just hoping the printers and shippers (and Covid) cooperate with the revised release date...

Looks like an interesting novel from BLP, seeing how well Trillian's policy of subterfuge and proxies will work, instead of simply marching the troops in.

I notice the debut release date for the revamped Brush Wars series is still first quarter of this year. Time to set aside some $$$ for whatever's coming - if Tamar Rising is any indication it'll be worth it :drool:

Wolf Hunters is out.

Hmm, tossing up about this one. Anastasia Kerensky wasn't my favourite DA character. On the other hand, welcome news as it means the last MWDA ebook I couldn't get years ago is finally next in line for release. Wondering if Surrender Your Dreams' epilogue has been revised.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others

"They do not understand that defacing or destroying a monument does not change history. In fact, it often ends up reinforcing that history. Rewriting the history books to impose a new social order rarely works in the long term."
Baldur/Trent, Forever Faithful

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #452 on: 28 January 2022, 00:11:43 »
Also coming very soon:

No Substitute for Victory
An ilClan Era Novel by Blaine Lee Pardoe

I really with we had someone other than Pardoe as the head fiction writer for Battletech.  He's got his strengths, but I really don't think he's up to carrying the series.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

BrianDavion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #453 on: 28 January 2022, 00:18:55 »
I really with we had someone other than Pardoe as the head fiction writer for Battletech.  He's got his strengths, but I really don't think he's up to carrying the series.

TBH I'm hoping we get some new blood into novels via sharpnel. looking at the releases of late it seems that the novel writers stable consists of Blaine Pardoe and Jason Schmetzer.. we could use some more authors simply so we can get a steadier supply of novels.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #454 on: 28 January 2022, 00:21:39 »
Philip Lee wrote Hunting Season, which was pretty good.  Especially if you're a FWL fan.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #455 on: 28 January 2022, 00:27:12 »
Wondering if Surrender Your Dreams' epilogue has been revised.

Let's look at the key plot points from that:
- Takes place in 3156
- Set in "The Former Duchy of Andurien" - there certainly could be developments in that region that lead to a change in its independent status.  (We'll just have to see what Empire Alone sets up there in 3151-3152)
- New flags, different than those over Kwamashu 20 years earlier, different than any that were known.  (So, yeah - just reinforces that the Duchy of Andurien is replaced by something else.  Suggests something more than just being absorbed into the Free Worlds League, Capellan Confederation, or Magistracy of Canopus.)
- Fortress Republic was broken and the great Liberation took place.  (Alaric's propagandists writing the histories?)
- Damien Redburn got a formal state funeral on Terra, thanks to Jonah Levin's insistence.  Levin is still alive in 3156.
- Hunter Mannheim's children played important roles after Fortress Republic.  One has fighting prowess, the other is an up-and-coming politician on Terra.
- Geneva now sports a memorial - the Fortress Wall - in honor of the Republic Armed Forces, apparently?
- Jeremy Chin is having Caleb Davion-style conversations with his imaginary friend, Thomas Marik (the real one).  He concludes his conversation by blowing his brains out.
- Everything about what had been The Republic had changed.
- Adamans formally takes over from Paul Moon as Custos of the Fidelis.  Adamans decides the Fidelis will become the saviors of the Inner Sphere.

I don't really see anything in ilClan or Hour of the Wolf that precludes these events from taking place.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

BrianDavion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #456 on: 28 January 2022, 00:54:36 »
Damien Redburn got a formal state funeral on Terra, thanks to Jonah Levin's insistence.  Levin is still alive in 3156.
would Levin have much power and influence eneugh to snag Redburn a formal state funeral?
furthermore given HOW Redburn died (condlucting a flase flag attack on Alaric)  would Alaric's government choose to honour him?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #457 on: 28 January 2022, 00:56:46 »
<Huey Lewis>That's the powwweer of surkai!</Huey Lewis>

Perhaps as part of his "Let's build a new Star League as a coalition," Alaric makes some diplomatic moves to move water under key bridges.  As opposed to an ilKhan Malvina, who would have exterminated everyone in his extended family to the seventh generation.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2022, 00:59:22 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

BrianDavion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #458 on: 28 January 2022, 01:25:46 »
<Huey Lewis>That's the powwweer of surkai!</Huey Lewis>

Perhaps as part of his "Let's build a new Star League as a coalition," Alaric makes some diplomatic moves to move water under key bridges.  As opposed to an ilKhan Malvina, who would have exterminated everyone in his extended family to the seventh generation.

eh I could def see devlin stone getting a state funeral, but Redburn's actions where painted as "unforgivable treachery" and his death occured shortly before stones

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #459 on: 28 January 2022, 01:29:27 »
It’s claimed Levin sealed the deal.  Who knows what Levin had to promise Alaric in exchange.

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #460 on: 28 January 2022, 02:53:03 »
Crap, I need to adjust that. Second quarter, not March

What about Brush Wars? The first quarter of 2022 still stands (for PoD of the original Brush Wars book I assume)?
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

StoryReader

• Sergeant
« Reply #461 on: 28 January 2022, 04:56:32 »
ohh!  This looks cool!

Wolf Hunters is out.
..that's awesome, I liked that book, a lot, and really enjoyed Killiany's stuff in general.  His Battlecorps stuff was top notch.

Gorgon

• Sergeant
« Reply #462 on: 28 January 2022, 05:56:33 »
What about Brush Wars? The first quarter of 2022 still stands (for PoD of the original Brush Wars book I assume)?
I hope we see Burrock Absorption this year. It's the Brush Wars book I'm looking forward the most.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #463 on: 28 January 2022, 08:49:37 »
I really with we had someone other than Pardoe as the head fiction writer for Battletech.
There is no head writer.

Wondering if Surrender Your Dreams' epilogue has been revised.
Possibly.

looking at the releases of late it seems that the novel writers stable consists of Blaine Pardoe and Jason Schmetzer.. we could use some more authors simply so we can get a steadier supply of novels.
Young, Lee, Reed, Bills, all right now just off the top of my head, and I know I’m forgetting people. That last comment however…writing long fiction content for BT isn’t that simple and it’s not made easier—doesn’t create a steady supply—by throwing more bodies at it.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Captain
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #464 on: 28 January 2022, 09:10:31 »
Also, novel or novella?

Full novel, as the post said. I'm still learning the specific fiction terms, novella vs short novel vs novel, but I try to use them accurately in announcements. Especially "novel." If you want to ding me on short novel vs novella, go ahead--I sense that it's not a clear line anyway--but I try to make sure I'm clear when it's a full book.

Just hoping the printers and shippers (and Covid) cooperate with the revised release date...

Me too. Now that folks have read Tamar Rising, you can see why we were so eager to get it out to you, and why every week it didn't arrive in the fulfillment center just killed us.

looking at the releases of late it seems that the novel writers stable consists of Blaine Pardoe and Jason Schmetzer.. we could use some more authors simply so we can get a steadier supply of novels.

You've said elsewhere you're just coming back in after time away from BT, so Blaine and Jason may be the names you recognize. But folks like Bryan Young, Michael Ciaravella, Craig Reed, and Phil Lee have all had long works come out in the past 18 months or so.

Folks are being brought along, I trust John and Phil's development process, they know far more about what it takes to get someone up to novel ability than I do. But I do know it takes time, and I know they're eager to expand their pool of writers too.

No, that listing is for the re-launched Brush Wars PDF series. The listing pretty well explains it. I have no information that the first installment won't be ready to go in the next few months.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #465 on: 28 January 2022, 09:16:13 »

Agreed. He has other failings as well, but what we can discuss here on the forums is that his recent works has been... not good. Lazy even.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #466 on: 28 January 2022, 09:17:37 »
Also coming very soon:

TOO OLD TO FIGHT, TOO YOUNG TO DIE…

Ah book on Falcons dying due to Lyrans, I'm all for that  8)
Stone wasn't cryo frozen. He just got stuck in a freezer Hans Moleman style and we felt bad about it. So we made up this lie.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #467 on: 28 January 2022, 09:28:02 »
Agreed. He has other failings as well, but what we can discuss here on the forums is that his recent works has been... not good. Lazy even.

Yeah this one is a skip for me all-around. Not interested in the subject matter or this author.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #468 on: 28 January 2022, 09:46:37 »
I love seeing the enthusiasm for what's to come
Below are links to my fan fiction pages.

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-(full)/

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/alternate-timeline-with-thanks-full-part-2/

As always please enjoy and if you have any questions about my AU (or want to chat about ideas I could incorporate into it) feel free to PM me.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #469 on: 28 January 2022, 11:28:30 »
I'll consume the fiction--I want to see Lyrans fighting the Falcons, not getting stomped.  We'll see what happens!

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #470 on: 28 January 2022, 12:42:55 »
DriveThruFiction's deal of the day is-

https://www.drivethrufiction.com/product/348491/Leviathans-Armored-Skies

. . . Harry Turtledove & SM Stirling wrote a story for this?  Had not noticed that before!
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #471 on: 28 January 2022, 13:33:05 »
There's some good stuff in there.  I found the Turtledove and Stirling stories more interesting than exciting, but overall it's a good collection
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Middcore

• Lieutenant
« Reply #472 on: 28 January 2022, 13:41:48 »
Nope, End Game had one in the background.

Also, novel or novella?

This is the one I was trying to remember last night, then I got distracted trying to figure out what the 'Mech at the background right edge of the Storms of Fate cover is.

On a related note: man that Empire Alone cover. Who would have believed that an Ostroc would someday appear on the cover of a book and actually look cool?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #473 on: 28 January 2022, 13:46:35 »
10 years ago I would have told you it was a fevered dream of a mad man... Guess we are all mad now.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #474 on: 28 January 2022, 13:58:25 »
10 years ago I would have told you it was a fevered dream of a mad man... Guess we are all mad now.

Mad and loving it.  All the new product and art is so amazing!

Hotham

• Sergeant
« Reply #475 on: 28 January 2022, 14:08:56 »
I've been looking forward to Pardoe's Falcon novel for the longest. Pardoe is the only BattleTech writer who I will pop a bag of popcorn before reading his book. His opinions on the BattleTech setting are too entertaining to past up.
"My mother told me to never throw stones at Davions. But my father told me, aim for their heads." - Daoshen Liao

"Call me, when you need me." - Danai Centrella-Liao

"Bath him, then bring him to my chambers." - Romano Liao

The Warrior Houses are the closest thing BattleTech has to the Jedi Order. Change my mind.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #476 on: 28 January 2022, 14:18:10 »
This is the one I was trying to remember last night, then I got distracted trying to figure out what the 'Mech at the background right edge of the Storms of Fate cover is.

Pretty sure it's meant to be a Maelstrom

Middcore

• Lieutenant
« Reply #477 on: 28 January 2022, 14:22:09 »
Pretty sure it's meant to be a Maelstrom

That was my best guess too, but there is no Maelstrom in the scene in the novel where Victor and his lance fight a Lyran Berserker on a seashore.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Set a watchman.
« Reply #478 on: 28 January 2022, 14:34:00 »
Art is a lower order of canon.  It often doesn't line up with what the text tells us.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #479 on: 28 January 2022, 15:17:28 »
Sidenote, it looks like every Forcepack except the ComStar Battle Level II is now available from Asmodee in Europe. No sign of Legends, Map Pack: Alien Worlds, or Tamar Rising yet.