Register Register

Author Topic: Upcoming Releases XXIV: We're about good luck here  (Read 76758 times)

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
Re: Upcoming Releases XXIV: We're about good luck here
« Reply #1380 on: 11 August 2022, 16:21:47 »
I’m probably going to get flak for this but: Mechwarrior: Dark Age was my first real life introduction to Battletech as a game against other humans lol, and I have a nostalgic attachment to the designs.
I had a very brief introduction to Battletech in the late 80's. I remembered black and white books and pen & paper. It could n't compete at that time with White Dwarf in colour and the likes of Adeptus Titanicus and Space Hulk. Then many years later my local gaming club were getting into Mage Knight and Heroclix - when we heard that a new CMG was being released with giant freaking Mechs - how cool was that!!

We bought a case and shared it between us, and did liekwise for next few releases. I think we split the factions between about half a dozen players. I found myself collecting mainly Swordsworn and ROTS, with small mercenary contingents (mixture of Wolfs Dragoons and Kell Hounds).

I tried playing competitively but I preferred playing Faction pure amongst friends. I started reading the MWDA Fiction and was introduced back into the world of Battletech. My gaming club moved away from CMG's incuding MWDA and I then moved. But I started reading Gray Death Legion and Warrior Trilogies, and then discovered the bright new colourful Total Warfare (the one with Battlemaster) and then the Classic BattleTech Introductory Box Set.

My love for Swordsworn and Rotary Autocannon led neatly into House Davion for me. And then even when my gaming friends moved away, the belated discovery of the Clan Invasion and AGoAC got me back in. But I would nt have been into Battletech in the first place if it was nt for MWDA introducing me.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1381 on: 11 August 2022, 16:21:57 »
TRO: 3145/3150 aren't retired are they? Dark Age is officially replacing it?

Ehhhhh....tricky question. As Marauder D says, they're long out-of-print with no immediate plans/ability to re-print them. That said, if we ever crack landscape reprint POD capability, I can't call them truly replaced or retired.

Functionally, yes, TRO DA replaces those unavailable books. Will those books be unavailable forever-ever? Dunno.

Oh, we went down a whole rabbit hole on this. Okay. Lightning round!

Kind of eager to see the Force Manuals, but given that those are still being worked on last I head, I'm guessing the first batch is mostly or all going to be in the "and beyond" part of "2022 and beyond" from their initial announcement.

The first is basically done, but IIRC we plan it to come out after Dominions Divided and likely after the AS Box. The important part to know is that we're not trying to release one book, we're trying to make sure that Alpha Strike has a true ecosystem of products between the box, AS:CE, the Force Manuals, and packs.

Any hint at when the AToW reprint will be released for those of us who had to work through GenCon?

It's on my list to check on. (A literal list of stuff to check on that I keep by my computer, not metaphorical.)

Now that we have A Question of Survival in our grubby little hands--the next fiction up (according to the April post of upcoming products) is The Damocles Sanction.  Release date on that novel was listed as 3rd Quarter, 2022.  Since a quarter is a pretty big window, do we have any more inkling now that we are in Q3 when that might be released?

Later than sooner. Also on my list (see above), but last I heard it was still in-process. Not sure about where it'll fall in relation to DD, either.

IIRC POD TROs are not really an option because of their layout.

POD TROs are complicated because as far as we can tell, DTRPG no longer offers a b&w interior option for landscape POD on their rate card. The current products we have in that format, like TRO Golden Century and TRO Irregulars, appear to have been grandfathered in. But reprint TROs like 3145 or 3150, or my real dream, XTRO compilations, may not be possible unless/until we can figure out something with DTRPG to do it.

Wait, what, TRO Irregulars did have POD option? I know WoR has.

TRO Irregulars in print format: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/346363/BattleTech-Technical-Readout-Irregulars

I know some time back CGL talked about a big restructuring of their publishing process to make it easier for books to get the PoD treatment. That in mind, I'm sure there are still costs associated, but surely it can't be that expensive and dev-intensive to get most of the books released in the past couple years to be PoD-ready, right?

I don't know that I'd characterize what I've said in the past as a "big restructuring of our publishing process." But let me see if I can explain more clearly.

First, as Sartris said (emphasis mine):

the bottleneck is opportunity cost dictated by available dev hours. reprinting books competes with the same money for another run of box sets or other minis. people seem to like those more of late.

He's close to the mark. You can't look at development time and products as separate pots of effort. It all stacks. I wouldn't say that reprinting books competes with the same money for another run of something, they compete with the same hours in the developers' day as something else. The list is always longer than the time available to apply to it, and despite our desire to push POD higher on that list, it hadn't happened. And regardless, the bottleneck is NOT with developer time but with layout bandwidth. So in this case, the answer couldn't be a find-more-hours solution, it had to be a find-more-people solution, specifically another layout-capable person just to do POD.

And, we think we have. We've identified and tasked someone to start working through a POD of an older CGL sourcebook. If that goes well, we believe we'll be able to start tasking this new person with a priority list of PODs to work through. That's the kind of game-changer we've been waiting on. I'm tentatively excited.

Remember, though that the work involved to POD anything pre-CGL, and even earlier CGL era books, can be enormous. If the book was laid out digitally AND we have those digital files in a usable format, those books will be easier. If both those conditions are not fulfilled, you're talking about having to basically reconstruct the book to the level of OCRing the text, correcting that text--which WILL be shot through with flaws--all to get to a point where you have to re-lay-out the entire book.

Even when we do have the digital files, it's not always clear how much to tinker with. My own opinion is that we should fix only the typos and obvious clear-cut errata, but otherwise POD the book as it was. We have to constantly steer against the urge to go back and start messing around with actual content.

Anyhoo, I will say that as much as I love the minis, I do find sourcebook buying to be a source of near-endless frustration due to the lack of reprints and PoDs. I understand that every book can't be reprinted as a hardback for all of eternity, but it'd be nice to have something I can sit down with and feel paper.

I understand this sentiment, but I think in the past three to four years, we've done FAR better at keeping our sourcebooks in print than ever before. I don't think "near-endless frustration" is a fair assessment at this time, for the newest stuff.

Remember that the line pre-2019 and the line now are in wildly different places. Everything after Shattered Fortress has been kept pretty well in stock, and gone back for multiple printings, even. (Tamar is on its second.) The older CGL era sourcebooks were printed in much smaller numbers and generally only once, so there's a good argument to go back and POD those. We're still working on it, but getting closer.
« Last Edit: 11 August 2022, 16:37:59 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1382 on: 11 August 2022, 16:29:43 »
The Dark Age still has plenty of events to explore.  Not everything is an apocalyptic clash of empires.  There's lots of 3rd Succession Wars/3025-ish adventures to develop.

Yeah, when I have a moment to breath, I really would love to go back and do a lot of tiny little stories set around the sphere throughout the republic era and into the dark age.  there is a LOT of room to play there, now that it's sealed at both ends. :-)

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1383 on: 11 August 2022, 16:40:39 »
The important part to know is that we're not trying to release one book, we're trying to make sure that Alpha Strike has a true ecosystem of products between the box, AS:CE, the Force Manuals, and packs.

heck yeah, nice update!  and how do you QUOTE EVERYONE so FAST??? hahaha

anyway, line I quoted: that's smart as hell, and super exciting!

Also, if you talk to whomever has the RL thing, give them the best from me and mine to them and theirs.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • I can and I will make you use a Garm
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1384 on: 11 August 2022, 17:12:41 »
heck yeah, nice update!  and how do you QUOTE EVERYONE so FAST??? hahaha

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #1385 on: 11 August 2022, 19:03:24 »
Yeah, when I have a moment to breath, I really would love to go back and do a lot of tiny little stories set around the sphere throughout the republic era and into the dark age.  there is a LOT of room to play there, now that it's sealed at both ends. :-)

Well... there are those ELH splinter/successor units to explore... hint... hint...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1386 on: 12 August 2022, 09:34:02 »
Well... there are those ELH splinter/successor units to explore... hint... hint...

Honestly, that's on my list: I'd love to do a WoR set story, and it's long been my internal canon that, while the GSs respected Sandra, it's something her DAUGHTER does that convinces them to use the Barclay DNA and make a new Bloodname. :-)

BUt, yeah, that's so low in priority it ain't on the backburner, it's in the crockpot. ;-P hahaha

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #1387 on: 12 August 2022, 10:59:56 »
That would be cool!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #1388 on: 12 August 2022, 12:20:55 »
Honestly, that's on my list: I'd love to do a WoR set story, and it's long been my internal canon that, while the GSs respected Sandra, it's something her DAUGHTER does that convinces them to use the Barclay DNA and make a new Bloodname. :-)

BUt, yeah, that's so low in priority it ain't on the backburner, it's in the crockpot. ;-P hahaha
Honestly, we need more WoR fiction.
I've had some Society-related ideas for a while, might toss them to Shrapnel once it's all fully-formed and written out.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #1389 on: 12 August 2022, 19:40:33 »
Honestly, we need more WoR fiction.
I've had some Society-related ideas for a while, might toss them to Shrapnel once it's all fully-formed and written out.

I had this brilliant idea to do a story about a small unit of Clan warriors on Strana Mechty during the big throwdown that the Wolves started. Just eight Warriors, their leader dead, blamed for something they didn't do, hunted as they have to cross enemy territory all night just to get back home. 100,000 angry Clanners in this army of the night, and they're all after these Warriors...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #1390 on: 12 August 2022, 19:59:47 »
I had this brilliant idea to do a story about a small unit of Clan warriors on Strana Mechty during the big throwdown that the Wolves started. Just eight Warriors, their leader dead, blamed for something they didn't do, hunted as they have to cross enemy territory all night just to get back home. 100,000 angry Clanners in this army of the night, and they're all after these Warriors...

Is that a movie reference?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #1391 on: 12 August 2022, 20:57:54 »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #1392 on: 12 August 2022, 21:14:06 »
Okay, that's a movie of some sort.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1393 on: 12 August 2022, 21:52:44 »
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

GuyIncognito

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1394 on: 12 August 2022, 23:01:25 »
If we're wishlisting WoR fiction, I'd like a look at various levels of the Steel Vipers while all that's going down. Not all of them were like Greatest ilKhan I'm sure, and his "we are the pure from our own practices" quote has always been tantalizing.

nova_dew

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1395 on: 13 August 2022, 04:36:28 »

It's on my list to check on. (A literal list of stuff to check on that I keep by my computer, not metaphorical.)

The first item on that list is "Check items on this list" just so something can be completed... most days  :D
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #1396 on: 13 August 2022, 10:39:24 »
Is that a movie reference?

I highly recommend The Warriors.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Lemme Talk to the Manager!
« Reply #1397 on: 13 August 2022, 10:44:23 »
I highly recommend The Warriors.

And apparently an awesome movie tie-in Video Game as well!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Warriors_(video_game)
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Cat

• Corporal
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #1398 on: 13 August 2022, 11:06:57 »
And apparently an awesome movie tie-in Video Game as well!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Warriors_(video_game)

It's one of my all time favourite movies.  But the video game does a really poor job of representing it — the visuals don't have enough colour and the soundtrack is completely off. 

Mean Streets miniatures game on the other hand works really well for table top play!

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1399 on: 14 August 2022, 01:06:49 »
If we're wishlisting WoR fiction, I'd like a look at various levels of the Steel Vipers while all that's going down. Not all of them were like Greatest ilKhan I'm sure, and his "we are the pure from our own practices" quote has always been tantalizing.

I mean a reaction shot of their faces as they were declared for Annihilation would be nice. The line about ‘they had time to elect a new SaKhan while being annihilated?!’ And seeing that in a novel would be interesting.

Xan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1400 on: 14 August 2022, 11:04:41 »
Folks, I understand the eagerness, but it's recovery week after Gen Con, plus we have a team member dealing with a very serious real-life issue. Please bear with us.

Sorry to hear that, I hope everything works out as well as it can as fast as it can.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1401 on: 17 August 2022, 02:10:02 »
Wolf's Dragoons Assault Star should be available at retail in Europe now, given one of my LGS has it
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1402 on: 17 August 2022, 06:21:17 »
I mean a reaction shot of their faces as they were declared for Annihilation would be nice.

I mean, what else would it be?
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #1403 on: 17 August 2022, 15:40:57 »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1404 on: 17 August 2022, 16:25:41 »

Oh, where is my Eris?
Oh where is my Eris?
Oh, where, oh, where, oh, where, oh, where
Oh, where, oh, where, oh, where, oh, where oh, where
Is my Eris?

Having heard his cry, worktroll enters the scene
Shocked and slightly embarrassed at the sight of Larry in a towel
worktroll regains his composure and reports

I think I saw a Eris back there

Back there is my Eris
Back there is my Eris
Back there, back there, oh, where, back there
Oh, where, oh, where, back there, back there, back there
Is my Eris?

Having heard his joyous proclamation Psycho enters the scene
Junior regains his composure and comments

Why do you need a Eris?
You have unpainted mechs

Larry is taken aback
The thought had never occured to him
Unpainted? What would this mean?
What will become of him?
What will become of his Eris? Larry wonders

No paint for my Eris
No paint for my Eris
No paint, no paint, no where, no paint
No paint, no paint, no where back there, no paint
For my Eris

Having heard his wonderings, Cubby enters the scene
Cubby regains his composure and confesses

Larry, that old Eris of yours
Well, you never use it, you don't really need it.
So, well, I'm sorry, I didn't know
But I gave it to the B1Bflyer, 'cause he's got paint!

Feeling a deep sense of loss, Larry stumbles back and laments
Not fair, oh, my Eris
Not fair, oh, my poor Eris
Not fair, not fair, no paint, not fair
No where, no paint, not fair, not fair, not fair
My little Eris
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #1405 on: 17 August 2022, 16:27:59 »
Anyone get an email yesterday about an Update to Children or Kerensky?
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Hotham

• Sergeant
« Reply #1406 on: 17 August 2022, 19:43:59 »
Anyone get an email yesterday about an Update to Children or Kerensky?

No, was the email from CGL or Amazon?
"My mother told me to never throw stones at Davions. But my father told me, aim for their heads." - Daoshen Liao

"Call me, when you need me." - Danai Centrella-Liao

"Bath him, then bring him to my chambers." - Romano Liao

The Warrior Houses are the closest thing BattleTech has to the Jedi Order. Change my mind.

acemarke

• Sergeant
« Reply #1407 on: 17 August 2022, 20:39:16 »

snip a brilliant parody

I...

am in awe.

I can guarantee that no one has ever tried to mash together BattleTech and Veggie Tales before, and that was beautifully done.

Bravo!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1408 on: 17 August 2022, 21:10:55 »
I figured it was a appropriately creative way to ask . . .
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1409 on: 17 August 2022, 21:59:38 »
For someone who still follows Phil Vischer (creator of veggie tales), that was amazing.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.