Register Register

Author Topic: Upcoming Releases XXIV: We're about good luck here  (Read 61754 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
Re: Upcoming Releases XXIV: We're about good luck here
« Reply #780 on: 28 June 2022, 16:39:52 »
If there has been a decision on contents, it hasn’t been revealed. If you exclude the cover, title page, and credits from each volume, the total page count is 906 for unit writeups and record sheets. Obviously that’s not happening. From there one could probably think of a dozen permutations on different formats and contents

That would be something like three volumes if you wanted to keep each one on a manageable size.

Personally, I'm just hoping to see some corrected volumes that fix the record sheet issues some of them have.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Contingency

• Recruit
« Reply #781 on: 28 June 2022, 16:59:25 »
On a ship now, hoping to have the next printing of all existing ForcePacks available again in August.

Great news, thanks!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Not smarter than a fifth grader
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #782 on: 28 June 2022, 17:01:25 »
the MUL source pages use the store text at the time of publication. the fourth wave has updated text

"Released as a series of 24 PDF-only documents through 2020 and 2021, many ’Mechs featured in this series will be collected as a single print volume upon its completion."

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

what is being a battletech fan besides accepting a bad, poorly informed take twenty years ago, reciting it repeatedly as fact, and never bothering to update your opinion by reading anything new?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #783 on: 28 June 2022, 17:19:40 »
On a ship now, hoping to have the next printing of all existing ForcePacks available again in August.

Anything on Europe or Australia restocks?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #784 on: 28 June 2022, 17:47:42 »
If there has been a decision on contents, it hasn’t been revealed. If you exclude the cover, title page, and credits from each volume, the total page count is 906 for unit writeups and record sheets. Obviously that’s not happening. From there one could probably think of a dozen permutations on different formats and contents

Publisher: "We have a copy of War and Peace, 950 pages."
Catalyst: "Peace? BAH!  We bring you War at 906!"

Ghaz

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #785 on: 28 June 2022, 18:14:45 »
I was thinking that the product description said somethin about it containing select designs. Not sure, can't access upcoming products on main site as drop-down menus don't work on Chrome (or is it just me?). Didn't mean there was public info what exactly the thing would contain.

EDIT oh, wait, i'm a moron, there's a link on another page to that. The drop-down menus should work though...
EDIT 2 err, well, doesn't look like RecGuides are on latest releases or upcoming products pages. Can't recall where the description was, or if my brain made it up.

EDIT3 Ah, MUL's description has this:
"Released as a series of 22 PDF-only documents through the end of 2020 and early 2021, many ’Mechs featured in this series will be collected as a single print volume upon its completion"
Okay, ignoring that this description is evidently old, it merely says "many", which is quite vague.

Also found in the BattleTech: State of the Game, June 2020 announcement:

Released as a series of 22 PDF-only documents through the end of 2020 and early 2021, many ’Mechs featured in this series will be collected as a single print volume upon its completion.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #786 on: 28 June 2022, 20:40:56 »
Okay, ignoring that this description is evidently old, it merely says "many", which is quite vague.

Intentionally so. I wrote that sentence in consultation with Ray before the first Rec Guide volume was even out, before we even knew whether it'd sell or not. We had no idea what form the compilation volume(s) might take, so we left it open-ended.

Personally, I'm just hoping to see some corrected volumes that fix the record sheet issues some of them have.

If those issues are noted in the Errata threads, they should be.

Also found in the BattleTech: State of the Game, June 2020 announcement:

You don't have to read the tea leaves. I've clarified that sentence several times in the years since that point, and I'll do so again now. We have a plan in mind to collect the Rec Guides. We still intend to do so. It keeps getting pushed back by other projects, but I want to get it moving again in the next few weeks. Once I'm confident that it is moving, I'll share more details. I didn't have them for the big April announcement, but I should have something more soon.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

abou

• Captain
« Reply #787 on: 28 June 2022, 22:10:06 »
(Relevant section bolded):
I use Testors on most of my plastic minis. I find that its reaction, and effectively fusing the parts works much better than superglues on plastics. Would Testors Red still work on these, or do I have to use Gorilla Glue gel on them like when putting metal to plastic, o resin to plastic, etc, etc?

Also, does Army Painter brush-on primer work as well on these as it does on normal plastic and resin?
So disclaimer in that I have not worked with the material yet, but to answer your questions:

Testors Red probably won't work. The material is definitely not styrene and I don't think it is ABS either. So cyanoacrylate it is.

I think any paint should work well. Reviews by creators on YouTube have all said there is excellent paint adhesion. So Army Painter's brush-on primer should work well.

StCptMara

• Major
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #788 on: 29 June 2022, 01:28:12 »
Testors model glue?  or do they make a superglue?  and do you use it on figures like legion or flames of war / team yankee?  We use superglue gel and plastic glue (the boys have discovered that different types of plastics likes different glues) so how does testors fit into that?

(sorry for the quick thread jacking, everyone, but I'm not used to mechs other than metal I have to build, so I thought I'd pick CPT Mara's brain for a sec.  back on topic... :-)

I use it on my GW minis. And, yes, the Testors model glue. What my friends and I found is that it melts the plastic at the joints to create a stronger bond.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #789 on: 29 June 2022, 09:41:39 »
Well, maybe a sign of improvement . . . I received a shipping notice for the Hammerheads I ordered this morning- says the item has not been picked up yet, just the label was made.  I know sometimes we have gotten the packages and then the shipping notice.  No projected delivery date, but I expect it in a week.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #790 on: 29 June 2022, 10:11:10 »
I got the same notice around noon yesterday.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #791 on: 29 June 2022, 15:19:10 »
I use it on my GW minis. And, yes, the Testors model glue. What my friends and I found is that it melts the plastic at the joints to create a stronger bond.

Cool!  Thanks mate, I'll scoop up one and see what it does on FoW/SW Legion stuff. :-)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Lemme Talk to the Manager!
« Reply #792 on: 29 June 2022, 16:40:40 »
Cool!  Thanks mate, I'll scoop up one and see what it does on FoW/SW Legion stuff. :-)

Sorry to thread jack - BUT...for Star Wars Legion, the 'Soft Plastic' (base minis from the Starter Sets) will not work with standard Plastic Model Glues (need super glue for that).

the Hard Plastics (like all the droids), regular plastic model glue works great, but...will not bond to the bases...still need CA/Super glue for that.

When using the glue, as many warning state, try in an inconspicous place first.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Wargame_insomniac

• Corporal
« Reply #793 on: 29 June 2022, 16:50:59 »
Anything on Europe or Australia restocks?
That interests me too. I have just got back into Battltech after a few years away due to ill health / work and I missed the Clan Invasion Kickstarter. I have been able to get the AGoAC and Beginner Boxsets from UK online stores and picked up a couple of Lance packs by bidding above retail price.

But what I really want IS Command / Battle Lances, at least two of each, and I have seen them go for two-three times the retail price. Currently Catalyst's distribution to UK market is just giving profits to scalpers.....
:(

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #794 on: 29 June 2022, 18:26:42 »
:o

Holy Carp!

;D

I think you'd posted that before, and I "Knew" it was a lot of pages, I'd just forgotten that it was A LOT of pages!   :o

Well, it's not like we don't already have all the record sheets, but having them in one PDF would be Convenient.  Even breaking them into IS/Clan would help.  As for printed product, maybe TWO Volumes EACH, for the IS and Clan designs?   ;D  Maybe "A-M", and "N-Z"?  Or However it breaks down to be fairly even?  Personally, I prefer a TRO closer to "TRO: 3025" in thickness/page count than "TRO: Project Phoenix".   :-\
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #795 on: 29 June 2022, 18:35:35 »
ugh, that could be 9 100-page books.

One of these days they're going to create tablets as cool as they have on West World and then I might be happy ... bleh be old enough to be dirt by then, too.  Stoopid birthdays and half-century mark.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • Enemy of Fun
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #796 on: 29 June 2022, 18:43:39 »
How many actual new units are among those in the RGs? Not new variants of old units, brand new ones.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #797 on: 29 June 2022, 18:45:27 »
Not counting rebrands of old visual designs like the Star Crusader, I want to say 26.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • Enemy of Fun
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #798 on: 29 June 2022, 19:20:27 »
Here's some speculation from someone with no involvement and zero knowledge of the compilation. 

Not counting rebrands of old visual designs like the Star Crusader, I want to say 26.

These brand new units should be a lock. I'd then exclude the units that shared a page; putting them into a print TRO as-is might be doable (though it would go against tradition), but giving them their own dedicated space would leave a lot of empty space on the page and thus require additional writing to make work. There's what? Three of those on one page per RG? So that would be about 78 to exclude from this speculation. That gets us down to about 850 or so. It would have to be almost random to decide how to cull units to get down to a reasonable number. If old stuff (that is, those units which came from TRO 2750 originally) is out, that gets it down to around 825. Dumping the rare units like the Clint might get it down to about 700. That's still an overwhelming number.

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #799 on: 29 June 2022, 19:38:24 »
Just shrink each entry down so you can fit 4-5 'Mechs per-page!*

*Magnifying glass recommended, sold separately.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #800 on: 29 June 2022, 19:48:06 »
Sorry to thread jack - BUT...for Star Wars Legion, the 'Soft Plastic' (base minis from the Starter Sets) will not work with standard Plastic Model Glues (need super glue for that).

the Hard Plastics (like all the droids), regular plastic model glue works great, but...will not bond to the bases...still need CA/Super glue for that.

When using the glue, as many warning state, try in an inconspicous place first.

Ah!  Thanks!  Warnings like this are good!  warnings SAVE ME MONEY. ;-) hahaha

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #801 on: 29 June 2022, 20:23:21 »
Does that page count include the record sheets?

Pinetree

• Corporal
« Reply #802 on: 29 June 2022, 20:25:29 »
If you take out the record sheets from the RGs (which the tech readouts don't have anyway) then you only have ~10 pages of writeups per RG for a total of 240 pages which is more manageable.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #803 on: 29 June 2022, 21:28:11 »
Does that page count include the record sheets?

Yes

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

what is being a battletech fan besides accepting a bad, poorly informed take twenty years ago, reciting it repeatedly as fact, and never bothering to update your opinion by reading anything new?

Church14

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #804 on: 29 June 2022, 23:28:43 »
The 26 brand new plus fujin, Star Python, and Star Crusader seems solid at 29 models in a TRO

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #805 on: 29 June 2022, 23:40:02 »
Code: [Select]
Dominator 01
Goliath C 01
Sojurner 02
Hierofalcon 03
Shadow Cat III         03
Thresher II 04
Hammerhead 05
Cricket         06
War Crow 07
Devil 08
Inferno         09
Crucible 10
Hermit Crab 10
Ion Sparrow 11
Carrion Crow         12
White Raven 12
Fire Storm 13
Lightning 14
Rawhide         15
Stormwolf 16
Amarok         17
Eris 18
Iron Cheetah         19
Rime Otter 19
Mastadon 20
Kontio         21
Regent         21
Doom Courser         22
Jade Phoenix         22
Fujin 23
Star Crusader         23
Star Python 23
Alpha Wolf 24
Skinwalker (Ryoken III)         24

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #806 on: 30 June 2022, 18:30:55 »
I'm really liking the leatherbound versions of the novels. (Ordered the newest ones as soon as I saw the info dump.) Will the Gray Death Trilogy be getting the same treatment (in keeping with the other trilogies)?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

...oh gods, I just tried to imagine herding mimetic cats.
The Lyrans aren't losers.  They're...winning impaired.

StoryReader

• Sergeant
« Reply #807 on: 01 July 2022, 00:19:43 »
If you exclude the cover, title page, and credits from each volume, the total page count is 906 for unit writeups and record sheets. Obviously that’s not happening.

mmm, what?  why not?

:))

Tyrant

• Sergeant
« Reply #808 on: 01 July 2022, 00:54:27 »
Not to keep coming back to the same topic, but is the plan/hope that some of those will find their way to the booth at GenCon?

Likewise will the Mega Mat/BFM be available at the booth?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #809 on: 01 July 2022, 05:07:15 »
Not to keep coming back to the same topic but...

So many topics coming back to nearly the same thing lol