Register Register

Author Topic: Upcoming Releases XXV: Gimmie a Quarter  (Read 65070 times)

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
Re: Upcoming Releases XXV: Gimmie a Quarter
« Reply #450 on: 06 October 2022, 17:23:32 »
Now you have to release Brasha Wars too! :)
BRANTH WARS! 
Coming soon to the INN! 
Subscribe now for exclusive behind-the-scenes content!
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #451 on: 06 October 2022, 17:29:48 »
Bishop Steiner also did a Mackie that he called a Mackie mk III, but could easily have been a reimagined Mackie in the modern art style. Probably some demand for one.

I was thinking I'd asked about a new Mackie myself, and was given a Hard No.  :(  (Can't remember "Who" I asked though.)  But as we know, Things Change, so  . . . Maybe?   :thumbsup:

Now, I'm Fine with the current, Old artwork myself, and have nothing "Invested" in/towards the Mackie.  But with it being "The Great (times whatever number) Grandfather" of ALL 'Mechs?  Yeah, I can see it getting a Visual Upgrade also.  And if two different artists are interested enough in it to give us THEIR Upgrades/Updates for it, why not?   ???
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #452 on: 06 October 2022, 18:37:09 »
Any word on the BattleTech Universe book or the Brush Wars?

Universe is still coming, it's been much more of a bear to get across the finish line than we could have imagined, coupled with getting pushed back in favor of some other opportunities that have come up. Still planned--we really want this book out as the definitive setting guide, it's a big part of our strategy to bring folks into the ilClan era.

Brush Wars is very much alive, near-daily progress on that. We'd hoped to drop the series of products for the first installment of season 1 this month, but that looks like it'll be pushed possibly to next month. The product developer, Mendrugo on these forums, has written an intro I'd like to publish in the next week or two.

Three Questions.

One: Given that the HG/Unseen "Issue" has been THOROUGHLY Settled, are there any plans to have any "Unseen" art in the BattleTech Universe book?   ???

Two: Any thoughts to reprinting the book BattleTech: 25 Years of Art & Fiction, with the Unseen art added BACK where it had been removed before, OR updating the book to include Unseen and newer art?  ???

Three: Any thought to printing/releasing an Anthology featuring the Fiction that was included in the Art book?   ???

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Useless and I didn't even get to be pretty
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #453 on: 06 October 2022, 18:39:39 »
part of settling the HG issue is never using the old art again ever for any reason

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #454 on: 06 October 2022, 18:50:08 »
part of settling the HG issue is never using the old art again ever for any reason

Which is also why we have at most gotten art that mimic'd (but better) than some of the old stuff.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

ShroudedSciuridae

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #455 on: 06 October 2022, 20:01:30 »
Which is also why we have at most gotten art that mimic'd (but better) than some of the old stuff.

This might be heresy here, but a reissue of the old school sourcebooks with modern recreations of the classic unseen artwork is totally something I'd rebuy. In PDF, at least.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #456 on: 06 October 2022, 20:41:13 »
Brush Wars is very much alive, near-daily progress on that. We'd hoped to drop the series of products for the first installment of season 1 this month, but that looks like it'll be pushed possibly to next month. The product developer, Mendrugo on these forums, has written an intro I'd like to publish in the next week or two.

While I can't wait for AS as much as the next fan, Bursh wars is what -IIII- can't wait for.  I'm 100% confident they're gonna blow people away!  :)

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #457 on: 06 October 2022, 20:45:41 »
This might be heresy here, but a reissue of the old school sourcebooks with modern recreations of the classic unseen artwork is totally something I'd rebuy. In PDF, at least.

this would be kinda cool.  probably impossible, but cool. :-)

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #458 on: 06 October 2022, 20:47:38 »
Three: Any thought to printing/releasing an Anthology featuring the Fiction that was included in the Art book?   ???

I LOVE this idea, and would add "and also include the fiction from the original Shrapnel (FASA 8611) as well!" :-)

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #459 on: 06 October 2022, 23:13:57 »
Fourth Succession War Atlas Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 with new art...  would be amazing.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #460 on: 07 October 2022, 06:42:11 »
I would be happy with a new Battle Pack.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Rougarou Rhapsody

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #461 on: 07 October 2022, 12:47:42 »
I would be happy with a new Battle Pack.

I'd be happy with an updated projection for upcoming products or projects if nothing else
Agent #1053

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #462 on: 07 October 2022, 12:56:05 »

Honestly? If they commissioned art to replace the unusable Unseen art from the old House Books and reissued them (hopefully not touching the classic art that CAN be used), I'd buy the whole set.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #463 on: 07 October 2022, 13:00:41 »
Honestly? If they commissioned art to replace the unusable Unseen art from the old House Books and reissued them (hopefully not touching the classic art that CAN be used), I'd buy the whole set.

True that, but since new art is the most expensive part of producing books (I think they've said that, right?) it still might be a lot of resources to devote to reissuing old content.  That being said, I'd buy every single book in DTF.  Hopefully with better bindings this time around.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #464 on: 07 October 2022, 13:17:37 »
those books have to basically be rebuilt from the ground up as no files exist. it's something they've expressed interest in doing as a cool product but it would be a significant undertaking.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #465 on: 07 October 2022, 13:49:10 »
What program would they even have used in the late 80s, wordperfect?

Rougarou Rhapsody

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #466 on: 07 October 2022, 13:54:14 »
What program would they even have used in the late 80s, wordperfect?
I think in one of the Renegade HGP interviews or one of the CGL AMAs it was stated that a lot of things way back in the 80s and even into the early 90s were literally typed up on a typewriter or very basic word processor with the physical documents being cut up then laid out only to be photocopied into a "final" page layout.
Agent #1053

shivanwurm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #467 on: 07 October 2022, 13:56:59 »
I think in one of the Renegade HGP interviews or one of the CGL AMAs it was stated that a lot of things way back in the 80s and even into the early 90s were literally typed up on a typewriter or very basic word processor with the physical documents being cut up then laid out only to be photocopied into a "final" page layout.

That sounds…….. unfortunate…… to try to find any records or editing history of.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #468 on: 07 October 2022, 14:08:02 »
you notice a definite shift in formatting quality beginning around the 3e box through BTC:RoW and the 4E box

to say nothing of the rights shifting between three companies and dozens of people. even some of digital stuff can be hard to track down

redone FASA stuff would require an aligning of time, resources, manpower, and a product window that is going to be hard to come across.

shivanwurm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #469 on: 07 October 2022, 14:19:07 »
It’s like reconstructing a novel written on post-it notes after moving cross country 3 times. With extra lawyers for fun.

So 2024 release date then?  ;D  ^-^

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #470 on: 07 October 2022, 14:54:31 »
I gots my urbies today!

I must express one bit of disappointment. I understand the advantages in terms of production cost for plain packaging and everything but the least Catalyst could have done. The VERY LEAST... would have been to include one of those greeting card gadgets in the package so that when I open it the box plays "Carmina Burana".

(I kid, if it somehow wasn't obvious. Good product, good value, great for us weirdos that want lots of Urbanmechs without having to just buy salvage boxes).
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #471 on: 07 October 2022, 15:09:32 »
One: Given that the HG/Unseen "Issue" has been THOROUGHLY Settled, are there any plans to have any "Unseen" art in the BattleTech Universe book?   ???

Not to my knowledge. Even if "allowed," I doubt we'd want to open that can of worms again.

Two: Any thoughts to reprinting the book BattleTech: 25 Years of Art & Fiction,

No discussions about a reprint that I'm aware of.

with the Unseen art added BACK where it had been removed before,

Not something we'd likely do.

OR updating the book to include Unseen and newer art?  ???

That's more or less what Universe is, minus the Unseen art.

Has not been discussed.

I'd hope you'd consider buying it in more than just PDF--because everything everyone is saying is true. It'd be a monumental undertaking that would consume immense resources and IMO have a very small potential audience/customer base.

The only records and editing history would literally be the hardcopy book in our hands. That's your starting point, nothing more. The text would be the "easy" part and would still be massively time- and resource-consuming, but at least that's a linear process. My brain recoils from the art questions.

"Just reprint all the art exactly as it was!"
Can't, some is legally problematic, some is just problematic, and some of it is not good.
"Okay, so just replace the pieces that you don't like with new stuff!"
K, but the new stuff will look modern, because if I tell someone to just draw like it's 1986, the conversation will end badly. So you'll wind up with a book that's half mid-1980s art and half early 2020s art, it'll look psychotic.
"Allright, allright, so just replace all the art with modern stuff."
Those books were slathered with art, the cost of redoing it all would make you puke. Plus, now you've got a book full of 2020s art with a layout and graphic design from 1986.
"Okay, well, update the layout too then."
Got it. So, reprint the book you love, but rework the text, make all-new art, and do a whole new layout. Instead of just making a new book. Because that's totally different.
"...you know, you're not that much fun to talk to."
Imagine how Ray and Randall feel.

« Last Edit: 07 October 2022, 15:11:04 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

shivanwurm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #472 on: 07 October 2022, 15:18:33 »
Which is why I’m never expecting this to be a realizable product ever.

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #473 on: 07 October 2022, 15:34:41 »
True that, but since new art is the most expensive part of producing books (I think they've said that, right?)

I have heard similar talk on other places, and I can easily believe it.

(Hell, I have never dared to look into it for my own stuff, on the basis that an actual, like, proper professional artist, assuming I could magically find one, cannot be charging less people for their work than I do for a 3D-print-model-design commission (and I suspect Cubby would clap both hands over his mouth and snort his beverage out of his nose laughing if I said what that was...) and I couldn't afford me if I wasn't me.)

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #474 on: 07 October 2022, 16:47:09 »
Not to my knowledge. Even if "allowed," I doubt we'd want to open that can of worms again.

No discussions about a reprint that I'm aware of.

Not something we'd likely do.

That's more or less what Universe is, minus the Unseen art.

Has not been discussed.

I'd hope you'd consider buying it in more than just PDF--because everything everyone is saying is true. It'd be a monumental undertaking that would consume immense resources and IMO have a very small potential audience/customer base.

The only records and editing history would literally be the hardcopy book in our hands. That's your starting point, nothing more. The text would be the "easy" part and would still be massively time- and resource-consuming, but at least that's a linear process. My brain recoils from the art questions.

"Just reprint all the art exactly as it was!"
Can't, some is legally problematic, some is just problematic, and some of it is not good.
"Okay, so just replace the pieces that you don't like with new stuff!"
K, but the new stuff will look modern, because if I tell someone to just draw like it's 1986, the conversation will end badly. So you'll wind up with a book that's half mid-1980s art and half early 2020s art, it'll look psychotic.
"Allright, allright, so just replace all the art with modern stuff."
Those books were slathered with art, the cost of redoing it all would make you puke. Plus, now you've got a book full of 2020s art with a layout and graphic design from 1986.
"Okay, well, update the layout too then."
Got it. So, reprint the book you love, but rework the text, make all-new art, and do a whole new layout. Instead of just making a new book. Because that's totally different.

All sorts of Disappointment, but it ends on a Humorous Note.  ;D 

Eh, I'll take what I can get!  :thumbsup:  Thanks for the reply at least!  :beer:

heist08

• Private
« Reply #475 on: 07 October 2022, 17:22:58 »
I’d love to see more of the older Catalyst-produced sourcebooks made available via Print-on-Demand.  :)

heist08

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #476 on: 07 October 2022, 17:36:55 »
  ... half mid-1980s art and half early 2020s art, it'll look psychotic. ...

Those books were slathered with art, the cost of redoing it all would make you puke.

Where's our BTU version of Friends!? (Seinfeld?) This stuff is gold, GOLD I say!

[edit: Big Bang Theory might be a better format]
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

Prometheum5

• Private
« Reply #477 on: 07 October 2022, 21:28:33 »
I’d love to see more of the older Catalyst-produced sourcebooks made available via Print-on-Demand.  :)

heist08

Definitely seconding this. I've managed to track down most of them at this point and while I'm happy to have them, it's crazy to me that a lot of the early 'modern' BT books are waaaay more expensive than the bulk of the classic FASA books.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #478 on: 07 October 2022, 23:06:54 »
FASA was huge into the late 90s. Until recently, CGL print runs probably weren't very far into five figures, mostly to hardcore collectors who aren't letting go.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #479 on: 07 October 2022, 23:24:51 »
i'm guessing most of the 2009-2016 runs weren't five digits based on what a pain in the ass they were to acquire even five years ago