Register Register

Author Topic: Upcoming Releases XXV: Gimmie a Quarter  (Read 84075 times)

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: Upcoming Releases XXV: Gimmie a Quarter
« Reply #1110 on: 27 November 2022, 23:00:50 »
Everything else in BattleTech has the map scale and the 'Mech scale wildly out of sync, why do the trees need to be arbitrarily closer to 'Mech scale?
Boring answer: to facilitate gameplay and make it clear when you have woods cover.

Fun answer: megaflora.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1111 on: 27 November 2022, 23:10:25 »
Because those are the type of trees that are important.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1112 on: 27 November 2022, 23:26:27 »
Boring answer: to facilitate gameplay and make it clear when you have woods cover.

Fun answer: megaflora.

I think you're interpreting that exactly the opposite direction I meant.  The trees are around 2" tall in the box set.  This is not to scale with real trees.  This is completely fine and at no point, ever, has BattleTech terrain tried to be in scale with the 'Mechs on it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1113 on: 28 November 2022, 07:25:11 »
Everything else in BattleTech has the map scale and the 'Mech scale wildly out of sync, why do the trees need to be arbitrarily closer to 'Mech scale?

To be fair, that is no different to any other wargame (or for that matter, RPG ground scale though), because you simply cannot do a model scale and ground scale that match (especially if you are making ANY attempt at simulating realism). The real world is just too big and complex and too unwieldy come to that. Hell, RPGs can't manage to do it accurately, generally confined as they are to a 5' square grid at 28mm. So you can never have ground scale and model scale that match, the best you can aim for is that your abstractions manage to model the most critical distances reasonably well.

I think you're interpreting that exactly the opposite direction I meant.  The trees are around 2" tall in the box set.  This is not to scale with real trees.  This is completely fine and at no point, ever, has BattleTech terrain tried to be in scale with the 'Mechs on it.

Most real trees are much bigger, yes. But again - practial considerations. One the one hand 20-40m tall trees[1] take up a huge amount of storage space, and, as noted, a dispropotionate amount of board-space per tree because you can't model them one to one. So one the other, now you're abstracting, the trees need to be at LEAST tall enough to credibly obscure a BattleMech's view and block LOS, which sets the minimum height and after that, you want as many as you can fit so you maximise their usage. Flat trees work quite nicely as woods when put down in some volume and at different angles, but you need a modest number.

(Pro recommendation to everyone incidently - angel hair/sizoflor florist wraping fabric, whatever its called is dirt cheap and comes in multiple colours; cut it to what sizes of woods (or shapes) you want and use that to delineate the area nicely. In combination with the trees and being a mesh, it gives a nice shadow effect and drapes pretty mwell over terrain. We pinched the idea from someone we saw one convention as have never gone back.

Theory works just as well with nebulas for starships too, for anyone wanting to do BT space combat:

(Practical consideration there was at the other end; to make the "clouds" less than the height of a starship flight stand, since starships are mostly horizontal, not vertical like mechs and thus would require a lot more both moving around in play of the cruciforms AND more crusiforms AND more painting of crusiforms.)

I mean, if you want to argue that you could just cue a bit of flat coloured card like it was on a map sheet to delinitate terrain you could, but I would like to think when not playing on a mapsheet (hell, technically even WHEn playing in a mapsheet), BattleTech could do better than those frack awful historical competion games which have rules-ritually mandated terrain peices (in service of terrain not getting in the why of having armies which stretch the entire width of the board and delete any maneouvring and are generally won the night before on army list decisions. GW may be the worst end of the hobby, but competition ancients really don't help.

(Anecdote: one year at the World's convention, Dad ran a Stargrunt II competition (which had the rules be more about sportaman ship at that). Pertinently, a TV crew came in to film the competetion, and to film they picked the set of tables with all the card board buildings and cardboard smoke cells that was dirty scifi over the historical games on their flat featureless boards. That really upset them - he wasn't allowed to do it again...! This has been today's entry for Aotrs Rambles About Quasi-Related Things.)

[1]Citation: first order google search for beech and oak trees.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1114 on: 28 November 2022, 10:56:58 »
For what it's worth, the initial release of the Hammerhead was June 24, and it apparently came back in stock November 15.  You'll forgive me for having lost the patience to check daily on that, I hope.

Something is going on there. I'll investigate. They should be in stock.

How was Catalysts Black Friday? More enjoyable than last years?

Fine by me, at least. A little hectic getting it all together that morning, but way less than last year.

To be clear, Cubby intentionally sets announcements in this sub-forum as the first priority. Disseminating to social media (FB, Twitter, Insta) comes second.

I try to hit everything equally. It all gets drafted together, and posted within seconds of each other, on the website, social media (FB, Twitter, Instagram less so) and the forums here.

I should probably do more e-mailing about new products, but I really need a sign-up field built into the website for intake. I'm also worried about too much e-mailing, it can get burdensome on the customer. (He wrote, here on Cyber Monday, where every brand I've ever interacted with is offering me something.)

According to Cubby when he was on the WolfNet podcast latest episode, the Alpha Strike box set is the largest single print run ordered for any BattleTech box set.

By Catalyst, anyway. We can't speak to the numbers that FASA may or may not have placed. (Well, maybe Randall can, but I can't.)

Why is it the biggest? Was there indicators that Alpha Strike was in more demand?

There were indicators that everything BattleTech, especially the box sets, is moving quickly. It was a big investment and not a foregone conclusion to do this size of a run, but after multiple large sell-throughs and reprintings of BB, AGOAC, and CI boxes, we had confidence that a (slightly, not radically) larger initial order of AS was warranted.

Thanks to the WolfNet guys and Cubby, it was an enjoyable and informative conversation.

Glad you enjoyed, and thanks to WNRP for having me on once more. I hope I didn't ramble too much.

My only quibble????  Hussar is pronounced whoz-AR or who-ZAR xp  >:D

In my defense, that was recorded from 10 pm - 11:30 pm on a Sunday night after I'd been in NYC for two days. I was a corpse. Forgive me any mispronunciations.

Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1115 on: 28 November 2022, 12:11:13 »

Because banana for scale is overdone  :P

Something is going on there. I'll investigate. They should be in stock.

I try to hit everything equally. It all gets drafted together, and posted within seconds of each other, on the website, social media (FB, Twitter, Instagram less so) and the forums here.

I should probably do more e-mailing about new products, but I really need a sign-up field built into the website for intake. I'm also worried about too much e-mailing, it can get burdensome on the customer. (He wrote, here on Cyber Monday, where every brand I've ever interacted with is offering me something.)

Glad you enjoyed, and thanks to WNRP for having me on once more. I hope I didn't ramble too much.

In my defense, that was recorded from 10 pm - 11:30 pm on a Sunday night after I'd been in NYC for two days. I was a corpse. Forgive me any mispronunciations.

I wonder if there's a way to automate that, most if not all platforms have an API for posting content, one file, one script everything posted or at least most, don't know if this forum has an API for posting.

It was enjoyable, sadly short though  :P , it's interesting that while the Wolves and Falcons have been the most written about factions, source book and fiction, they aren't necessarily the most popular clan factions, and as much as the staff (part/full/contractor) need a break from them, the non falcon and wolves players do too, especially at least for a while the Inner sphere is going to be Wolf centric and breaking it up for staff and fans is a good thing, personally I'm looking forwards to some Bear, Raven, Clan Protectorate, maybe Horses centric novels.

There's very little mispronunciation in English, the joys of a descriptive language, and it's frustrations too, accents and deviations are a good thing and anyone who says otherwise should be surrounded by people "mispronouncing" things intentionally  >:D

As an aside you really don't sound how I imagined, I don't know how I imagined you sounding but it wasn't like that
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

PyreLight

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1116 on: 28 November 2022, 14:01:24 »
Hi Cubby,will the Clan Sibko Athletic shirts be restocked in the near future? My kid wants one but the small are all sold out

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #1117 on: 28 November 2022, 14:34:27 »
The trees are around 2" tall in the box set.  This is not to scale with real trees.

Mechs are what 10-15 meters tall?   What part of the world do you all live in that doesn't have trees as tall or taller than Mechs?

Rougarou Rhapsody

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Sergeant
« Reply #1118 on: 28 November 2022, 14:42:16 »
Mechs are what 10-15 meters tall?   What part of the world do you all live in that doesn't have trees as tall or taller than Mechs?

Yeah, I'm gonna be honest the whole idea of tress "not being in scale" has always really annoyed me.  Trees are all different sizes.  This is why buying model trees by scale is nearly pointless.  When I buy model trees for terrain, I search for tress that are "2 inches to 5 inches" and use a mix of them when possible.
Agent #1053

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #1119 on: 28 November 2022, 15:24:34 »
Those trees are clearly map-scale.  ;)

And that is fine.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Fan XTRO: The Society
Nebula Confederation Ships

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1120 on: 28 November 2022, 15:29:42 »
Yeah, I'm gonna be honest the whole idea of tress "not being in scale" has always really annoyed me.  Trees are all different sizes.  This is why buying model trees by scale is nearly pointless.  When I buy model trees for terrain, I search for tress that are "2 inches to 5 inches" and use a mix of them when possible.

Lol, I have wondered how you might do a fight in a forest of giant Redwoods or their types on alien planets.  I mean I would not expect one to hold up a light mech in the upper reaches . . . but BA and Protos should be able to hold on above 'mech' height.

I mean, here we have a picture of a Flea and Word of Blake armored infantry.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #1121 on: 28 November 2022, 16:45:13 »
Lol, I have wondered how you might do a fight in a forest of giant Redwoods or their types on alien planets.  I mean I would not expect one to hold up a light mech in the upper reaches . . . but BA and Protos should be able to hold on above 'mech' height.

I mean, here we have a picture of a Flea and Word of Blake armored infantry.

One of my favorite concepts was a game played on Orestes III, where the equator is circled by a rainforest made up of 500-meter-tall trees. Each tree on the map was treated as a height 50 hill that filled the entire hex, and the entire game was played under low-light conditions unless someone wasted a turn shooting a hole in the canopy.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #1122 on: 28 November 2022, 18:05:06 »
Cubby, any idea When or IF the Premium Mad Cat will be available again?   ???  I got the Hammerhead (in the initial run), then you released/Sold Out the Mad Cat, before I even knew about it.  I figured, "No big deal, they'll have some at Gen Con!", and of course, you didn't.  ;D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Aresneo

• Recruit
« Reply #1123 on: 28 November 2022, 19:48:15 »
Cubby, any idea When or IF the Premium Mad Cat will be available again?   ???  I got the Hammerhead (in the initial run), then you released/Sold Out the Mad Cat, before I even knew about it.  I figured, "No big deal, they'll have some at Gen Con!", and of course, you didn't.  ;D

They are currently available, you just have to search for Premium Miniature. For some reason they don't show up on the Battletech products page.

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #1124 on: 28 November 2022, 20:04:54 »

The premium Timber Wolf TC is in stock, right now, in the Catalyst store.

It's also on my daily checklist with the HH and now Eris.

[Edit] Interesting to know it doesn't show up under the Battletech product page.  I've just had my tabs open directly to their pages this whole time.
« Last Edit: 28 November 2022, 20:09:17 by Nips »
Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1125 on: 28 November 2022, 21:34:58 »

I know there's a world where there's trees that can hold mechs ("a LAM's paradise," according to Objective raids) but, take it from me, 'Mechs in trees is a HARD SELL in fiction. (as in, I was very specifically told NOPE. ;-) :D ;D ;D

That said, BA 100% can be in trees on some worlds.  (I'm citing Shrapnel 8, of course)

Canonically, protos are unknown.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1126 on: 28 November 2022, 21:36:17 »
(Pro recommendation to everyone incidently - angel hair/sizoflor florist wraping fabric, whatever its called is dirt cheap and comes in multiple colours; cut it to what sizes of woods (or shapes) you want and use that to delineate the area nicely. In combination with the trees and being a mesh, it gives a nice shadow effect and drapes pretty mwell over terrain. We pinched the idea from someone we saw one convention as have never gone back.

LOVE IT.  Def gonna nick the idea from you myself!

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #1127 on: 29 November 2022, 20:59:36 »
Thanks, Cubby!

Hammerhead is back in stock!
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #1128 on: 30 November 2022, 04:43:56 »

They are currently available, you just have to search for Premium Miniature. For some reason they don't show up on the Battletech products page.
Well . . . Crap.   :-[

No, I didn't bother Searching, just selected BattleTech for the "Universe", then selected "Miniatures" on the right-hand side, and never saw it listed.  Only the Eris, Hammerhead, and Wolfhound IIC (of the Premiums) show up in those results.   ???  Weird.

Thanks for the Info/Hint to do a "Search" for it!  :thumbsup:   ;D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #1129 on: 30 November 2022, 04:54:40 »
Well, KUSO!!  :bang:

Ok, let's make this even MORE embarrassing, shall we?  xp

Added 2 Premium Mad Cat to my cart, clicked the cart to start "Checking Out".  Something told me to check my account, because now it suddenly seemed Familiar.  Started to open my account, to check my past purchases, then remembered I had my other Premiums (2 each Hammerhead and Grinner!) in a display cabinet behind where I'm sitting.  Got up and no, I've got SIX minis there. 

Yes, TWO of them being . . . Premium Mad Cat:-[  :bang:   :-[  :bang:

No, I will NOT admit how many PDFs I've purchased 2 of over the last 10 years.  ::)  But it's been 2-5 or so.  xp

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1130 on: 30 November 2022, 05:35:04 »
Buying them is one thing, easy to forget *whistles innocently*.

How do you forget assembling them?

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #1131 on: 30 November 2022, 10:08:13 »

Almost any tree you put next to a mech is mech scale....almost whatever size of fake tree there is a real tree that big

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1132 on: 30 November 2022, 10:17:48 »
Almost any tree you put next to a mech is mech scale....almost whatever size of fake tree there is a real tree that big

Or maybe it's one of these trees... :)
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #1133 on: 30 November 2022, 12:05:10 »
Buying them is one thing, easy to forget *whistles innocently*.

How do you forget assembling them?

No the real embarrassment would be if they are painted. Then you done goofed real hard. ;)

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1134 on: 30 November 2022, 18:04:26 »
The Eris comes with a Hammerhead torso and the Hammerhead now comes with and extra set of arms and legs. So if you buy both can you make three mechs?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1135 on: 30 November 2022, 18:37:43 »
I wonder if the salvage packs will get a re-release with new parts.

DoctorTeeth

• Recruit
« Reply #1136 on: 30 November 2022, 20:57:52 »
Does anyone know if there are any novel or novella upcoming releases that we know are coming soon? I've got a holiday vacation and some travel coming up soon, and it would be a great time to snag a new BT book or two.

MyndkryM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1137 on: 30 November 2022, 21:03:56 »
Does anyone know if there are any novel or novella upcoming releases that we know are coming soon? I've got a holiday vacation and some travel coming up soon, and it would be a great time to snag a new BT book or two.

Do you have a SHRAPNEL subscription? The most recent issue is double sized.

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/pages/search-results-page?q=shrapnel%20magazine
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1138 on: 01 December 2022, 03:02:49 »

An update would indeed be nice. IIRC there was mention of a Hell's Horses-focused novel (can't remember the exact source, a Tamar Rising-related video?). That would be great, the Horses haven't really been in the spotlight novel-wise since "A Rending of Falcons", and even then they were in a supporting role.

There is one announced novel still to be released: "The Damocles Sanction." Hopefully we'll see it before Dominions Divided - major characters being killed off or other earth-shaking events are better first read via novel form IMHO.

One more Elements of Treason title is in the pipeline, not sure if it's been announced which Hinterlands faction this one will deal with.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others

"They do not understand that defacing or destroying a monument does not change history. In fact, it often ends up reinforcing that history. Rewriting the history books to impose a new social order rarely works in the long term."
Baldur/Trent, Forever Faithful

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1139 on: 01 December 2022, 06:55:30 »
So, I looked at my pre-order of the Alpha Strike Box again this morning from Zatu/Boardgames.co.uk. It now has a note that says "expected Q4 2023."

That's encouraging, innit?

(Even I would like to hope that might be a TAD pessimistic, even as a placeholder instead "we have no idea, mate.")

But with that, even with some level of adjustment and a fairly large lump of salt, one feels less optimistic that oen is going to see one's toys before Christmas.