Register Register

Author Topic: What Era is 3250?  (Read 2386 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What Era is 3250?
« Reply #30 on: 09 August 2022, 19:04:22 »
But I'm thinking the framing device started under a different direction where the framing device would have been more obviously compatible
Outside one Exarch mention, it works just fine with current timeline, not just the old one.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #31 on: 09 August 2022, 19:07:39 »
True, except for 2002 when the original time jump from 3067 to 3132 happened for Dark Age. I think, at some point, they will do a time jump because (and this is my personal opinion) the story of the aftermath of the ilClan for one hundred years will be pretty boring. Either they will need to skip ahead to 3250 to tell of the resistance to the ilClan Empire as it's falling apart, or they are going to have to ret-con those few passages that were released and have the "Third Star League" follow the other two leagues into history relatively soon.

Or establish that the ilClan Empire isn't the Third Star League.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 09 August 2022, 19:11:23 »
Or that the Third League's start is just rocky. The original Star League's initial military exercises were bad, and the Reunification War started weakly, and went on for 20 years instead of half a year they thought i'd take.
There is nothing saying current events can't lead directly to the 3250 situation. Timeskips and retcons are completely unnecessary, there's 100 years for things to evolve.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 09 August 2022, 19:16:23 »
Outside one Exarch mention, it works just fine with current timeline, not just the old one.

If it was initially written under an older framework, it explains the exarch piece better.

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 09 August 2022, 23:39:19 »
I think, at some point, they will do a time jump because (and this is my personal opinion) the story of the aftermath of the ilClan for one hundred years will be pretty boring.

If I didn't trust this team to tell an interesting story about the 3150s, I also wouldn't trust them with the 3250s.

Orwell84

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 10 August 2022, 01:22:26 »
If I didn't trust this team to tell an interesting story about the 3150s, I also wouldn't trust them with the 3250s.

Agreed. So far Tamar Rising, Empire Alone and associated novels have been many things - nearly all good - but boring is not one of them. The ending of EA certainly promises an interesting future for that quarter of space.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others

"They do not understand that defacing or destroying a monument does not change history. In fact, it often ends up reinforcing that history. Rewriting the history books to impose a new social order rarely works in the long term."
Baldur/Trent, Forever Faithful

Dr. Banzai

• Master Sergeant
  • No matter where you go, there you are.
« Reply #36 on: 10 August 2022, 06:01:04 »
Or that the Third League's start is just rocky. The original Star League's initial military exercises were bad, and the Reunification War started weakly, and went on for 20 years instead of half a year they thought i'd take.
There is nothing saying current events can't lead directly to the 3250 situation. Timeskips and retcons are completely unnecessary, there's 100 years for things to evolve.
It took Cameron fifteen years of diplomacy to get the House Lords to sign, then 25 years of fighting the Periphery to force them to join. Then there were only about 50 "Good Years" before it all started coming apart, leaving about 100 years of slow death allowing Amaris to take over. Alaric's in year one, acting like he's in year 50 and everyone will toe the line. But emperors and dictators are like that.

3250 blurbs doesn't need explaining, i think. I figure they're there to create a framing device. Probably not all books will use that but some probably work better from 3250 framing context. Like Tukayyid, it was a book for 3250 bicentennial of the event.

I mean, previously stuff was told from ComStar or WolfNet POV. And some books are from RotS POV. Distance in time makes the observers more neutral in general, me thinks.
The only difference from the other PoV's is that they either did not take place in the future (i.e., a current action report to higher ups) or, if they did, they didn't establish any facts about the future.

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #37 on: 13 August 2022, 18:35:51 »
So, I don't think we will EVER EVER see a 100-year skip, but there may be 20 year jumps once the "blackout" ends and whatever happens next, uhh, happens?  (I was going somewhere with that! hahaha) anyways, you get the idea: I don't think it will be a smooth century of rainbows and candy, but several "eras" that we will see defined and get to play on the table? No clue, but I think it's more exciting that way (like you said, a 100-strech of peace is booooooring!)
I guess we'll see! :-)

I agree with this.   Something like Bonfire of Worlds that skipped the setting from 3138 to 3143(5?).  Maybe 10-15 years.

I think once the kerfuffle around the most recent Conquest of Terra plays out, the setting and the story needs a bit of breathing room to create some white space around the main arch, and give GMs a bit of space to tell their stories.  It's also a good opportunity to rotate out characters.   BT characters suffer when they stick around too long and "win" to much.

VensersRevenge

• Warrant Officer
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #38 on: 13 August 2022, 19:32:33 »
I strongly disagree. There are far too many plot threads that need to be dealt with. It needs at least a few years before the current plot is wound up, assuming that Dominions Divided and IlKhans Eyes Only don't add any new plot threads, which I highly doubt.
...Is this just fantasy?
Playing in Kingston Ontario
Message if you want to organize a game

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #39 on: 13 August 2022, 21:48:04 »
I strongly disagree. There are far too many plot threads that need to be dealt with. It needs at least a few years before the current plot is wound up, assuming that Dominions Divided and IlKhans Eyes Only don't add any new plot threads, which I highly doubt.

So we are on the same page.

VensersRevenge

• Warrant Officer
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #40 on: 13 August 2022, 22:55:28 »
Do we? I'm saying I cannot believe I will want a timeskip for the forseeable future, I interpreted you as wanting one relatively soon.
...Is this just fantasy?
Playing in Kingston Ontario
Message if you want to organize a game

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #41 on: 13 August 2022, 23:11:49 »
i can't see one anytime soon, but once a status quo looks to be forming with the ilclan stuff i can see a 2-30 year skip to the next big conflict, the period being filled in via historicals and turning points sourcebooks later.

honestly, might even be a longer jump, given that we went from the end of the Jihad in 3081 to 3140ish, with that period being filled in later. though that was partly because of Wizkids having covered the 3130's already. but a 50 year jump might happen to (the equivalent of a 3081 to 3131 jump) if that period is mostly lower intensity conflicts.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #42 on: 13 August 2022, 23:20:17 »
Well, if you think about it the Clan Invasion-Jihad is the only period where there wasn't a timeskip.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • I can and I will make you use a Garm
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #43 on: 13 August 2022, 23:43:56 »
we're planning to timeskip directly to the heat death of the universe.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #44 on: 14 August 2022, 00:20:10 »
Well, if you think about it the Clan Invasion-Jihad is the only period where there wasn't a timeskip.
in a sense there was, they just tended to skip 3-5 year intervals rather than the 10+ other eras had. and we got fiction pretty quick filling in a few of those gaps between the sourcebooks/TROs

and that period did have the post FASA anti-skip, where we got stuck in the Fedcom civil war for a decade
« Last Edit: 14 August 2022, 00:22:42 by glitterboy2098 »

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #45 on: 14 August 2022, 11:48:51 »
Do we? I'm saying I cannot believe I will want a timeskip for the forseeable future, I interpreted you as wanting one relatively soon.

I cannot fathom how you were able to misinterpret the kerfuffle.

Never has a noun been used as a more precise turn of phrase within the confines of the English language.   ^-^

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #46 on: 15 August 2022, 08:16:02 »
There are no immediate plans for a time skip. We've got plenty of things to do in the here and now, both coming out of the Dark Age Era and setting up the ilClan Era.

One thing I'd mention: the idea of a "time skip" tends to come up only when you have too many stories/conflicts that look at the Inner Sphere as a whole. WizKids stuff aside, to me, time skips are only necessary when you're incrementing the story in terms of the WHOLE Inner Sphere, rather than sections of it. If you're hitting everything all of the time with one big meta-conflict, then sure, in-universe plausibility starts to point toward needing a down cycle to let everyone catch their breath. That need increases exponentially, the more frequently you do it.

But that's specifically not what we're doing in this most recent cycle of books. We're creating more localized conflicts, and ratcheting down the scale from "FedCom Civil War" and "the WHOLE CLAN went to Terra." Yes, those big picture conflicts are exciting, but 1) diminishing returns are real and 2) they drastically cut short the storytelling runway for what comes next. Think of the current model as keeping a lot of differently-sized plates spinning at different speeds, rather than spinning one huge plate and having to stop and restart every so often. That strategy is a bit more demanding on the developers, but it opens up and sustains many more story threads that "universe-shattering events."

And remember, the Inner Sphere as big. As Jason Schmetzer correctly reminds us in development meetings, sourcebooks are not all-encompassing looks at a period of time. Just because it wasn't in the sourcebook, doesn't mean something couldn't have happened in a particular region or time, if there's not a fact-check bar to it otherwise. I'm not in favor of going back and painstakingly caulking in each and every gap in continuity, but I also don't grant the reverse, "the relevant sourcebook didn't mention that thing happening at that time, so it couldn't have happened."

As far as 3250, I don't expect we'll see too much more of that in the near future. They were fun breadcrumbs to leave, and they DO still "count." (You'll see some initial groundwork laid for Gunslingers in the not-unforseeable-future.) But it's work enough to develop this new era, without straitjacketing ourselves into detail that's still over the horizion.

« Last Edit: 15 August 2022, 08:18:05 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 15 August 2022, 09:01:15 »
(You'll see some initial groundwork laid for Gunslingers in the not-unforseeable-future.)
Cool! Those have been rather intriguing.
-What's the difference?

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #48 on: 15 August 2022, 09:35:42 »
Cool! Those have been rather intriguing.

Where have these been hiding?

Register