Register Register

Author Topic: What is your favorite and least favorite T variant for classic omnimechs?  (Read 3178 times)

Greatclub

• Captain
I dealt with a guy who swears by the Garg T. It takes a streak and one other weapon to provoke a psr, it's good on critseeking, the armor is in the acceptable range, 16 point kick, and BV is acceptable.

He also deals with a guy who loves infernos. I wouldn't take one myself, but I can see his points

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
I think i would've liked the Garg T more if it had standard SRMs and extra ammo for both weapon types (and throw CASE II there to eat the final ton). Go all out on alternate munitions: like a a ton of standard, AP and Flechette for the PACs, a ton of standard, Infernos and maybe ARADs for the SRMs...
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
I could've sworn i wrote "Infernos excepted" but perhaps i just thought that and forgot to type it.

As for the Narc, the Compact Narc is a separate weapon so i don't find it odd really. (More that it just kinda sucks usually.)

I suppose that reinforces the role of spotter. :)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
I suppose that reinforces the role of spotter. :)
Yeah sure, it is just when a battle armor made for general combat has a Compact Narc, it just feels kinda bad. Like the Purifier or Oni.
If there was a BA with TAG and Compact Narc (i don't think there is one), that'd be real nice.
Or something that combines both a reasonably powerful weapon and Compact Narc, another combination i don't think exists right now.

I do like Narc in general, i just find BA with only Compact Narc kinda meh.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
Yeah sure, it is just when a battle armor made for general combat has a Compact Narc, it just feels kinda bad. Like the Purifier or Oni.
If there was a BA with TAG and Compact Narc (i don't think there is one), that'd be real nice.
Or something that combines both a reasonably powerful weapon and Compact Narc, another combination i don't think exists right now.

I could see a role for the Purifier, tbh. Stealth in, NARC a couple of targets and retreat when the LRMs start raining down. Of course, the game doesn't work that way, stealth in this game isn't really stealth after all, but it's a cool thought.

I can certainly see where you're coming from, it would be nice to have a unit that can actually benefit from it's own equipment.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin

I do not care about the Purifier . . . but the Grenadier with a Compact NARC?  I would boost it's own DPS . . .
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
I do not care about the Purifier . . . but the Grenadier with a Compact NARC?  I would boost it's own DPS . . .

Not to mention the Hauberk...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Well, with the min range of the Hauberk it firing a Compact NARC and then being able to benefit would be hard.

The Grenadiers are a all in one package- their firing a NARC would benefit their subsequent SRM salvos if loaded with NARC ammo.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
Back to T configs, faves I'll roll with are the Shadow Cat and Hankyu, with an honourable mention to the Fire Falcon. With the Cat, it's always been a 'Mech I've had a hard time justifying the BV of. With the Prime you've also got conflicting roles of something more sniper-ish on weapons, but packing an AP for snooping out hidden units, a task you have to get in close for. The T trades the head-capper (and its BV) for a loadout more suited for close-in fighting, better complimenting the AP. Hankyu gets a nod for the added JJs alone. Movement is life for lights. And I've always like the Falcon; the T makes some trades, and comes out looking like a fun ride.

I'd have to look at the details to pick a least favourite or two.

Church14

• Master Sergeant
The Mad Dog T has been the local favorite T variant. Hands down. Close second is Nova T

Timber Wolf T, Cauldron Born T, Stormcrow T, and Black Lanner T have all had pretty positive response.

The only complete dud has been the Gargoyle T. Though most of the other new variants of the Gargoyle have been popular. Linebacker T also gets no love here, but not a lot of vehicles or BA have been run recently locally and that hurts its effectiveness.

JimberWolf

• Recruit
My favorite T configurations generally take a new road to the same place the Prime went by using some newer tech. The Mad Dog T is the most elegant example of this. But since the Mad Dog is rightly getting a lot of recognition, I'll show some love for a creative configuration given to a mech that was never conventionally good and was always going to be hamstrung by the WYSIWYG parameters: the Crossbow.

The Crossbow T, despite the valid complaints that might be lodged against it, manages to be a fun and useable platform in-game and quite nifty from a design perspective. Two ER large lasers as the only non-one-shot weapon may not be an efficient use of 65 ton mech, but that sort of firepower is hardly ineffective. And the sheer quantity of one-shot missiles means you can still knock out a couple of damaged mechs or clear out the PBI or vehicles holding your future sniper’s nest.  Considering the limitations of the chassis, making a useable T configuration was always going to be a tall order. But I’d call an energy-focused Crossbow that can put 20 points of damage out to 25 hexes (and can even do so while running without immediately feeling the heat) while still being able to launch 20 missiles per arm a creative coup.

My least favorite T configurations are the ones that take established designs and swap in new versions of classic weapons. The Huntsman is probably the best illustration of a dubious T upgrade for modern times, but I don’t care for the Dire Wolf T either. I think those “kitchen sink” mechs were always going to be tough to make a T configuration that manages to be fresh, good, and WYSIWYG.

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • Jade Corsair
They’re WYSIWYG configurations that match the appearance of the Prime configurations.

Are there IS equivalents to the T Config?   The MAD-2T looks a lot like the MAD-2R, but I haven't sussed out a larger pattern (and haven't looked all that hard.)

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Are there IS equivalents to the T Config?   The MAD-2T looks a lot like the MAD-2R, but I haven't sussed out a larger pattern (and haven't looked all that hard.)

The two featured variants for each Classic 'Mech invariably follow WYSIWYG conventions as well.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Not smarter than a fifth grader
    • Master Unit List
Every mech from the KS received at least one WYSIWYG variant. The clan omnis just happened to get a uniform designation

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
    • Jade Corsair
Got it....  anyone maintaining a running list for the non-Clan/Omnis?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
The IS has gotten some Omnis, but the Ts are for the pre-Dark Age designs.  Also FREX, say we got new art for the Perseus (a popular request it seems) because it is IS built, it would be convoluted for it to get a T config rather than just adding new letters.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104