Register Register

Author Topic: Whitworth in dark ages and beyond  (Read 5773 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Whitworth in dark ages and beyond
« Reply #90 on: 26 July 2022, 15:21:41 »
Going to have to start a thread about which mech was the source of the update for MWDA mechs, ignoring Clan tech vs IS since it did not matter in their designs.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #91 on: 31 July 2022, 10:32:09 »
A new Whitworth would be easy to rebuild. The obvious questions becomes who, why and how? There are many LRM equipped units already in production by many factions, so what does the Whitworth bring to the table during the Dark Age/ilClan era

1. Cost-The Whitworth is a cheap way of bringing a jump capable, multiple LRM battery to the field
This makes it attractive to second line units, minor powers, and mercs looking for easy LRM support.

2. Firepower-For a 40 ton unit, the Whitworth mounts a fairly strong away of weapons. 3 medium lasers and 2 LRM-10s provides a potential damage output of 35 points of damage, which is fairly impressive for a 40 tonner using no weight improvement technology. Other Jihad era variants emphasize MMLs or Streak SRMs, which increases damage output but fails to address the slow speed of the Whitworth against the variety of foes in its weight class.

3. Armor-The Whitworth is tough.  It carries eight tons of armor, albeit distributed in normal ersatz 3025 fashion. That compares favorably to units like the Watchman or even the 7D Dervish.

So who could benefit from a rebuild of this unit?

1. Periphery powers-While the Periphery powers have a variety of sources for LRM fire, such as the Dervish 6MR or LRM carriers, a refitted Whitworth would be very attractive to add to fire lances.  The Calderon Protectorate and the Taurian Concordat lists grant them several light and medium direct and indirect fire units a refitted Whitworth could slot into, such as the Panther 10K, 10KA, 10K2, the Garm, the Toro, and so on.  The Marian Hegemony could use it to support Centurion and their lines of captured/purchased/salvaged equipment, and it would help boost their manufacturing capabilities. Indon't see the Fronc Reaches or the Filtvelt Coalition being that interested, since they have access to a great variety of Capellan, Davion, or other equipment. Tje Magistracy of Canopus has access to the Marik, Andurien, Capellan, Sea Fox and their own internal production, so I don't see the Whitworth as a goof fot.

2. The Federated Suns: The former favorites of the BT universe aren't doing so well. New Avalon is in the clutches of the Dragon. Fourteen regiments mostly fell on Palymyra, and their last ally, the Republic of the Sphere, has now become the home of the ilClan.  Following up on the Recguide Enforcer refit, a refitted Whitworth would be very useful to the haggard FS. It could be easily added to more mobile regiments needing jump based fire support, or be added to militia or second linr units for static defense purposes.

3.Sea Fox-Clan Sea Fox has positioned themselves as the premiere communications and weapons dealer of the Inner Sphere. The Whitworth could be easily refitted with Clan tech (not even requiring weight reduction components) on an Arcship or at Twycross, and then sold at a high profit. And if there's anything the Foxes like, it's profit.

So how would you rebuild it? This may move into the refits/new design section of the boards.

1. The simplest upgrade would be to upgrade the medium lasers to ERs, add DHS, and Ferro-Fibrous or Jeavy Ferro-Fibrous You could lose a ton of armor to add CASE or CASE II.

2. Add Endosteel, Ferro or Heavy Ferro,Artemis IV to both launchers, CASE or CASE II, ER Mediums, and keep the LRMs along with DHS

3. Add a Light Engine, Endo Steel, ER Mediums, 4 MML 5s, and CASE or CASE II.

4. Clan ER Medium Lasers, Endo Steel, Clan LRM-20s with two tons of ammo each, Ferro, CASE or CASE II.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #92 on: 31 July 2022, 11:44:41 »
DHS remain the single best improvement any 3025 design could possibly mount.  Probably the cheapest too.

nova_dew

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #93 on: 31 July 2022, 13:16:33 »
Counterpoint, the guy's been trucking along for centuries with people sniggering behind his back calling him worthless. Let the poor fella finally rest.

:P

Shouldn't that be Whitworthless?
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #94 on: 31 July 2022, 15:01:52 »
Unless you are still somehow balancing the game in tonnage (glairing at PGI) the Whitworth's only fault is unfortunately it's original strength, that it's competing with heavier designs for the same job. We might see it again as it survived for this long but it's a design that could also just as easily be replaced.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 31 July 2022, 15:16:11 »
EA's RATs indicated we'll see more Whitworth but it will be in the Marian hands. Whether only there or elsewhere as well, unknown. WTH-2H (RG27)...
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #96 on: 12 August 2022, 21:52:09 »
DHS remain the single best improvement any 3025 design could possibly mount.  Probably the cheapest too.

Sadly they don't do much for the Whitworth.
Its one of those beautifully bracketed mechs with 10SHS.
Sure they would allow an Alpha Strike instead of bracket but they don't overlap ranges much so that would be rare.

The design to me doesn't upgrade well.
It's intended to be a lighter/cheaper "fill-in" for a top end medium or lower end heavy in 2nd line units.

It truly is one of the few mechs were I feel the Intro version really got it right & the upgrades don't offer much of anything for it.

In universe, I wouldn't want to use Endo 0-G manufacturing for a low end fire support unit.
Replacing the engine in any way will be a huge price jump probably.
Quad LRM5's is gaming the rules & not really something I'd do on a refit/upgrade.
MMLs are an option but, I don't think I'd like them w/ ERMLs as you'd just create a heat monster in SRM Range.
DHS, ERML both offer a bit more endurance and range.  CASE for the missiles & maybe Ferro would be easier options.

All in all, it would be a pretty lackluster upgrade from me with focus on Durability/Endurance over Speed/Firepower.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #97 on: 13 August 2022, 01:44:15 »
Being able to fire multiple Medium Lasers at will is always worth the investment in DHS, bracket firing or no.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 13 August 2022, 08:35:18 »
Remember, EA's RATs place it to Marian tables as apparent Marian variant (ends in H) and it is gonna be WYSIWYG. That probably means rocket launcher 10-packs (or MRM-10s?), ferro-fibrous armor, single heat sinks, some simpler energy weapons.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #99 on: 15 August 2022, 13:23:19 »
MODERATOR NOTICE

Take the customization chatter to the BattleMechs board in Fan Designs.  I've moved most of the posts about it there already.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #100 on: 15 August 2022, 18:24:20 »
Remember, EA's RATs place it to Marian tables as apparent Marian variant (ends in H) and it is gonna be WYSIWYG. That probably means rocket launcher 10-packs (or MRM-10s?), ferro-fibrous armor, single heat sinks, some simpler energy weapons.
or possibly a primitive/Industrialmech version, like their CN9-H series Centurions.

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #101 on: 18 August 2022, 10:03:07 »
For those who have not seen it, your new Whitworth.  Guess this means it's going into the iLClan era.  ;)

There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #102 on: 18 August 2022, 10:18:13 »
It was on the RAT for the Marian Hegemony in Empire Alone which is what brought about this thread and speculation, lol.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #103 on: 18 August 2022, 10:18:48 »
Valkerie: Thanks for the repost (in a format visible without opening an attachment)!  I really love the fact that spindly legs are a thing of the past...  8)

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #104 on: 18 August 2022, 11:47:08 »
But I don't think it's a version with RL or Primitive since Hegemony already deployed a version with RL on 1H I think I remember

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #105 on: 18 August 2022, 11:49:52 »
Nothing says it may not have SOME RL10 or be in part primitive, the WTH-1H is a conversion of a -1S where the SRM is traded for RL10s.  Go look at the design forum to see what folks have come up with as options.
Colt Ward

Leviathans #104

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #106 on: 18 August 2022, 12:17:35 »
For those who have not seen it, your new Whitworth.  Guess this means it's going into the iLClan era.  ;)

Really like how it looks.  Definitely paint one up in 4th Guards colors, will look good with my Blackjack as part of my questionable mech detachment.  :)

jasonf

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #107 on: 19 August 2022, 07:52:08 »
Looks like the Whitworth spent the first half of the 32nd century in the gym!  :thumbsup:

Register