Register Register

Author Topic: XTRO: 1945  (Read 112131 times)

monbvol

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Flogging will continue until morale improves
Re: XTRO: 1945
« Reply #90 on: 01 April 2013, 18:43:49 »
Well I suppose I could replace the turret and gun easily enough.

But yeah still missing primitive artillery and artillery cannons or I'd be set to make a KV-2 or AVRE Churchill.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • The 1st Federated Suns Lancers will arise again!
« Reply #91 on: 01 April 2013, 18:51:35 »
Would it sound weird if I said I want a second XTRO:1945? One with the King Tiger and the ME-262 in it? It would be kind of awesome.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #92 on: 01 April 2013, 18:52:35 »
I do like the sound of TRO: Second Soviet Civil War. It'd be a great chance to mix in some real and some speculative weapon systems, while still having them suck compared to BattleMechs ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #93 on: 01 April 2013, 19:07:50 »
Actually after seeing this I want a TRO 20th Century. All combat vehicles from last century.  ;)
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #94 on: 01 April 2013, 19:09:48 »
I would like to see a lance of Urbanmechs against an SS Panzer division complete with Tigers. >:D

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 01 April 2013, 19:20:39 »
Seriously it actually looks like the artist drew some of them from a museum or something, there's even plaques with their names on it!!  Looks really really cool!!  [drool]

All art is actual photography, extracted from pictures that are available in the Creative Commons domain. See also the credits to find out who the various photographers were. And while Ben worked hard to get a picture for each one, ultimately some inconsistencies are unavoidable. Hence wee booboo's like the T34, etc.

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #96 on: 01 April 2013, 19:35:02 »
Would it sound weird if I said I want a second XTRO:1945? One with the King Tiger and the ME-262 in it? It would be kind of awesome.

I was looking for both early and was sadly disappointed.

Swords of Fire

• Corporal
« Reply #97 on: 01 April 2013, 19:43:10 »
I wonder how long until this backfires on the writers, and we see a proper series of these caused by fan demand.
Sometimes I think that Australia was the inspiration for the Periphery, simply because they both look really good from a long way away, but up close, everything is trying to kill you.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
    • My Author Website
« Reply #98 on: 01 April 2013, 19:48:04 »
I wonder how long until this backfires on the writers, and we see a proper series of these caused by fan demand.

Even if that should happen (I highly doubt it, though): Creating more products because the fans want to buy them is NEVER considered something that backfired. Products that sell well are always positive.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

BlackKnight95

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: 01 April 2013, 19:51:17 »
Even if that should happen (I highly doubt it, though): Creating more products because the fans want to buy them is NEVER considered something that backfired. Products that sell well are always positive.
O0

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #100 on: 01 April 2013, 19:55:00 »
Hi,

This begs a kinda queer question: How canonical is this XTRO?

Let's call it... psuedo-canon. After all, the rules as presented are a warped version of those we created to date, to account for some radical departures that BattleTech made from reality. Even though the tanks, fighters, and personas featured in the book clearly existed in the "real world", we have established a long time ago that the universe of BattleTech is, in fact, not OUR "real world" after all.

This question came up when I was about to create an article for the 26th century Chi-Ha APC in BattleTech (from Far Country), and wondering if I should refer to the previous historical Chi-Ha now that it appears in XTRO:1945. I actually didn't know about the 1945 tank before.

That I couldn't bother trying to explain. The 26th century Chi-Ha was an APC, after all. The WWII model was a tank.

Thanks,

- Herb

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #101 on: 01 April 2013, 20:02:31 »
People are asking already for a part 2. I just want to know when the Iowas going to make it into a support unit stats!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

500 is the number of Warships Now. 500 looks like it will stay for a long time.

JadeHellbringer

• This Space Intentionally Left Blank
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • TurquoiseKitFox!
« Reply #102 on: 01 April 2013, 20:04:42 »

That I couldn't bother trying to explain. The 26th century Chi-Ha was an APC, after all. The WWII model was a tank.

That's being awfully nice to those things...  ^-^
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #103 on: 01 April 2013, 20:07:16 »

I think he means an actual boiler tank, rather than a combat vehicle.

Brigoon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #104 on: 01 April 2013, 20:08:43 »
OH MY GOD!

This is awesome, I play Flames of War(WWII minis) now when i see the B-tech group forming up I can drop my Panzers on the table

Best April Fools joke ever!!!!!!!!
What does the fox say?

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #105 on: 01 April 2013, 20:09:45 »
  This is ****** awesome.  Oh, yes: I can work with this....  }:)

This must be expanded upon.  We need at least the Stug III, the M3 Lee and the 38(t) so we can have the starting team for Oorai Academy.

Also, I don't see the Panther.  Or the IS-2.  Hey, any way we can get stats on the Maüs too?

And yes, I am looking at this and wanting to do a GuP themed game.  I call dibs on Saunders.  Or some school using M26 Pershings.
  StuG-III?  Take the Panzer-IV, delete the turret and one 7.92, fix the remaining weapons forward.  Hippo Team, reporting for duty.  (Just remember to take off the banners this time!  :D)
  M3 Lee?  Start with the M4 Sherman, fix the 75mm forward (and omit the Improved Accuracy quirk), replace the turret's .50-cal with a 37mm.  Go get 'em, Rabbit Team!
  38(t)?  Replace the M3 Stuart's turret-mounted dual-.30-06 with a single 7.92 and the bow-mounted .30-06 with a 7.92.  Turtle Team, ready!  (Use the StuG-III's stats for the troll-tank Hetzer version.)
  Now, these are all quick-and-dirty conversions, so they ain't perfect, and I haven't done the maths in full... but I'd say they're good enough for jazz.  ;)

It's too bad that an infantry section couldn't have made this. Otherwise, John Churchill could have made a noteable. Well okay, there probably isn't going to be a write up for broadswords. Oh well. . .

But now, you can create worlds in Battletech that have reverted to World War II weapons, and then one side has victory in sights, a lance of Urbanmechs begin the true slaughter. 

This was pretty much the most useful April Fool's Day Joke that I've ever seen.
  [stupid]  All of this.

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #106 on: 01 April 2013, 20:10:42 »

It made tank noises, close enough!
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #107 on: 01 April 2013, 20:11:16 »
Hi,

A few comments on this:

1) I designed all the units in this TRO, based almost entirely on research from Wikipedia. When setting designs up, the weight, MPs, weaponry (but not weapon weights), ammo (where specified), crew, and (for ground vehicles) fuel were all locked in by Wiki information, while everything else was left to interpretation (armor almost always got maxed out, as did fuel on planes). Even the fluff is derived from choice paragraphs taken from Wikipedia, which is why Wikipedia is listed as the "primary writing" in the credits.

2) All told, I designed about 28 units. Only 24 made it into the book. 2 were deleted because I didn't like the numbers I got and/or the art that we found. (The two I retained are the B-17 and He-177 bombers, because I wanted to see what I could do with those; due to the much more math-intensive nature of larger units, anything over 200 tons was considered far too prohibitive to even attempt for a product that would have to fulfil the conditions of Points 3) and 4) below.

3) Nobody, at any point, was paid for any of this work.

4) Nobody, at any point, was charged money for this work.

5) Despite Points 3) and 4), Catalyst DID spend resources on this work, in the form of time and manpower that was also earmarked for the paying jobs--many of them time-critical in nature.

6) Despite all of the above, several members of the team have expressed a willingness to do more of these, but....

7) The fact remains that, given the sources used, and the resource cost involved, we may simply may not be legally or economically able to carry on the series, even though we had solid ideas for similar products stretching as far back as the American Revolutionary War and as far forward as the Second Soviet Civil War.

That's pretty much the long and the short of it.

Thanks,

- Herbert Beas

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #108 on: 01 April 2013, 20:16:05 »
Hi,

I think that is mainly because the Japanese ideas on tank warfare, and the nature of the Pacific and Asian campaigns differed in many ways from how armored warfare was being conducted in Europe and North Africa. By and large, Japanese armored vehicles tended toward smaller designs to better support infantry operations and tight quarters jungle warfare, while Europe had a lot more roads, open land, and fortified structures to crawl over (and through).

Thanks,

- Herbert Beas

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #109 on: 01 April 2013, 20:17:47 »
TRO:1776 - the perfect thing to keep the A Time of War fans happy!

Herb, many thanks to you, and to all involved. This is a wonderful gift. Can I volunteer for TRO:1962? (Always was, always will be a cold warrior ;) )

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #110 on: 01 April 2013, 20:29:14 »
Nice job on this this one, Catalyst is the reason I look forward to 4/1. I haven't seen anything I want to try out on the table since the TacOps Power Ups.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Soviet Civil War PDF to see a little of the conflict that started the world down the long, long, twisted path to the Republic  ;)

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleman.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • All your tulips belong to us.
« Reply #111 on: 01 April 2013, 20:35:47 »
Nebfer, it is CANON until Herb says otherwise. Heck unless I miss my guess several of these tanks are actually tournament legal

Not only is it canon, its the only canon.
Battletech has been rebooted to 1945!!
Master Unit List - List of all canon units, faction availabilities, Alpha Strike unit cards, Battle Values
Combat Manual Lite series - Steiner, Liao, Marik, Calderon, Invading Clans, Comstar. Also Record Sheets for the CM: Kurita and CM: Mercs unique pilots.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • TurquoiseKitFox!
« Reply #112 on: 01 April 2013, 20:47:18 »
Hi,

I think that is mainly because the Japanese ideas on tank warfare, and the nature of the Pacific and Asian campaigns differed in many ways from how armored warfare was being conducted in Europe and North Africa. By and large, Japanese armored vehicles tended toward smaller designs to better support infantry operations and tight quarters jungle warfare, while Europe had a lot more roads, open land, and fortified structures to crawl over (and through).

Thanks,

- Herbert Beas

Agreed completely- they just weren't particularly good even at the roles they were intended for.

Man, now I wish we'd have thought to run you out to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds while you were out here a while back. Next time you're down in this area, it's worth the trip.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #113 on: 01 April 2013, 20:50:27 »
Agreed completely- they just weren't particularly good even at the roles they were intended for.

Man, now I wish we'd have thought to run you out to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds while you were out here a while back. Next time you're down in this area, it's worth the trip.
Before...things changed, the wife and I were planning to go out to DC (have never been) for the Fourth and that was one of the stops I had to go to.
When we went to see our cousin graduate basic at Ft. Knox, we had just missed the moving of their tank museum by a week. I was pretty upset.
Maker of big things.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • TurquoiseKitFox!
« Reply #114 on: 01 April 2013, 20:56:27 »
Before...things changed, the wife and I were planning to go out to DC (have never been) for the Fourth and that was one of the stops I had to go to.
When we went to see our cousin graduate basic at Ft. Knox, we had just missed the moving of their tank museum by a week. I was pretty upset.

If you find the opportunity to make it out for a few days sometime, you let me know.

I advise against the Fourth though, unless you have a driving need to see the fireworks display. When I say that the crowds are unreal, I mean "locals often try to take a few days off to get the hell away from here" kind of crowds. Eugh.

+Crow T. Robot+

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #115 on: 01 April 2013, 21:19:58 »
Would love to see WW2 Naval ships, yeah the Yamato and such
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #116 on: 01 April 2013, 21:40:38 »
TRO:1776 - the perfect thing to keep the A Time of War fans happy!

Herb, many thanks to you, and to all involved. This is a wonderful gift. Can I volunteer for TRO:1962? (Always was, always will be a cold warrior ;) )

W.

That's the next XTRO, then I was told that there will be a XTRO for 480bc for the Spartans comming out soon.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

500 is the number of Warships Now. 500 looks like it will stay for a long time.

CloaknDagger

• Major
« Reply #117 on: 01 April 2013, 22:07:38 »
I want to see XTRO: August, 1945.

Fission bombs carried by aeros, anyone?

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #118 on: 01 April 2013, 22:16:47 »
Unless I miss my guess the 8.8 cm Cannon is very nasty against BA. The range drops down to 1/5/10/15 but it still does 9 damage against BA and you can equip a motorized platoon with 7 of them under the field gun rules, meaning that a single volley should render any medium and smaller BA squads mission killed

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #119 on: 01 April 2013, 22:23:43 »
hopefully these will be programmed into Megamek soon. i'd love to try out a Mech-stomp vs WW2 gear. (especially the suggested Urbanmech vs SS Panzer battalion scenario mentioned further up the thread..  >:D )

Register