Register Register

Author Topic: ATM ammo selection  (Read 1936 times)

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: ATM ammo selection
« Reply #30 on: 07 September 2021, 23:24:27 »
The point was, depending on the situation with a 9 or 12, the largest racks, and the average number of missiles that hit, is sometimes you can go for the HE at 5 range instead of Std.  I would not do it with a 3 or really a 6 b/c the damage difference is not high enough.  But for a ATM12, it is what, 8 or 9 missiles on average?  Besides more damage, you also hit more locations for the possibility of crits.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 08 September 2021, 00:00:22 »
With a 12 I would probably still take Standard at that range, on a hit you're still going to average 18 damage and -2 to hit is kind of significant.

There are reasons to use HE, but against anything harder than a 6 or 7 to hit I'd skip it in favor of the better odds.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 08 September 2021, 00:43:48 »
Depends what you're fighting. A Timber Wolf that just booted it into some woods? Std, some damage is better than none.

an overheating Dire Wolf in the open? Probably want the HE, you're still likely on the good half of the bell curve anyway.

Sabelkatten

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 08 September 2021, 06:04:37 »
With 50% more damage but 2 worse TN HE wins as long as it hits on 7+. So it’s not hard to come out ahead with standard ammo at its optimum ranges.

But 100% more damage (std vs/ ER) still needs 8+ to come out ahead so it’s not much harder to end up in a situation where ER beats standard at range 6-9.

Thus my opinion that you should only load standard if you already have HE and ER.

Colt Ward

• Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #34 on: 08 September 2021, 09:10:48 »
The Timber Wolf E is one of my favorite ATM designs, with 6 tons of ammo IIRC, it gives you a lot of options.  Typically I got 3 ER, 2 HE and 1 Std . . . because I am going to be using the speed to keep away from IS heavies & assaults as much as possible, running out my ER ammo before closing to finish with the heavier HE damage.
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149

Charistoph

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 08 September 2021, 12:06:20 »
Someone brought a Nova Cat E (4 ATM-9s) last Friday because he was impressed with what I did with a 3 iATM-9 model a week or two before.

When he ran the Standard rounds it was very rough, but when he fired the HE rounds, it tended to brutalize the target.

With it he managed to nail my Ice Ferret (with a +3 or +4 TMM) with the HE (I ran up right behind him to kick him in the back of the head).  And with it, he managed a second hit to the head AND do enough damage to cause a PSR).  The armor was pretty much stripped in areas and the pilot was knocked out.

One of the advantages of each weapon is not just the damage, but due to how their damage works, the HE will also tend to hit more locations than the Standard, and the Standard for the ER.  A full rack hit from a 12 will hit 8 locations with HE, 5 locations with Standard, and 3 locations with ER.  This is a bit differently from how an MML works which definitely hits more locations with the short-range missiles, and most will only be hitting one location with the long-range missiles.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.