Register Register

Author Topic: Blue Water Naval Units ... Beeg Onz!  (Read 1387 times)

Wolf72

• Captain
Blue Water Naval Units ... Beeg Onz!
« on: 26 October 2022, 20:00:35 »
I think I want to design a big honkin' ship ... some sort of ASF/Aircraft Carrier.

I have pdfs of IO/TM/TO ... (IO/TO full version, just before they pulled them to split the books).  Also have TW and SO hardcover ... so bases pretty much covered.

b/c I'm being lazy (and it's late ... and when I do get time to start it I'll probably lose it ... family/RL ugh! ... j/k ... sorta!) ... I need some simple pointers/clarifications/starters.

1. How long do I need the flight deck to be? (somewhere in SO, right?)
2. Submersible or no?  It'd be the only real protection from orbital attack.
3. should be #1, which book are the big ships in ... iirc the Jogurmund (sp) was the example in the book.
4. I'm looking at the real world Gerald R. Ford lead ship ... 100k tons, 3/5 speed ... Reasonable?
5. (not a question) ... man I wish MML had these! ... capital spacecraft are easy to set up!
6. field kitchens, MASH, Comm gear ... do I need these or are they partially covered by quarters?  and how much comm gear does a massive support vehicle carry for free anyway?
7.  ICE, FCE, or fusion engine? ... solar an option?
8. (not a question) will heavier on the L1 tech side of weapons; artillery, AC2/5, LRM, torpedoes, etc
9. (last-ish) how much cargo space for Veh/ASF repair, fuel, parts, reserve equipment ... considering another support ship or barge could  pull that same duty as part of a task force.

please and thanks for any help.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

Lanceman

• Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
Re: Blue Water Naval Units ... Beeg Onz!
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2022, 21:59:30 »
Rules for constructing Advanced Support Vees, including multi-hex ships are in Tactical Operations and TRO: Vehicle Annex has the most examples, though some have been scattered about in other products. Lots of the large ones have never had official record sheets done, sadly.

Per TO, Flight Decks are 120 meters and can only be mounted on Template C sized vessels or larger (so 5-9 hexes).

I can't speak to other specifics, other than to note that we have examples of one surface carrier and two submersible. The submersible carriers don't have flight decks, but instead rely on VSTOL equipped conventional fighters or aerospace fighters for their air wings. 
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2022, 16:12:22 »
grazi!
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2022, 16:55:42 »
There are four officially stated carriers:
Argo Submersible (Handbook House Marik)
Lysander Submarine (TRO VA)
Lucius Zhao (TRO Irregulars)
Luftenberg (TRO VA)
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Lanceman

• Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2022, 17:23:56 »
Ah yup, missed the one in Irregulars.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2022, 12:38:23 »
If I'm reading the entry correctly, flight decks can used as a helipad for up to 4 vtols too? (although that particular deck will be usable for ASF/CF until the VTOL are cleared)

I can fit 3 decks on my template E ship ... which adds +60 crew or 20 per deck. ... and it looks like no turrets. ... hmm lots of AA guns going along each side, plus some arty.

Hey: what about vehicle bays?  normally a naval vessel would need to be adjacent to a level 1 ground hex to disembark a unit, but what about hover, amphibious or other naval units (ie sending out a pegasus hovercraft for scouting, or carrying a submarine unit in a vehicle bay?) ... which book would that be in?
« Last Edit: 29 October 2022, 12:44:26 by Wolf72 »

KS #1357

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 01 November 2022, 07:03:05 »
The Lysander from the Vehicle Aneex TRO . Great base .

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #7 on: 02 November 2022, 20:09:56 »
Can I suggest Page 87 Combat Equipment book?

Has a pair of Lancelot Mechs standing on the deck with an ASF in between them, they have enough room from the sides and front to not fall off...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2023, 20:35:29 »
dredging up my old post!

If my big ol' boat (or any support vehicle or mobile structure) has an ASF (or mech bay) should they carry a mobile field base too?  In the TO description it says vehicles can mount one (or a few for that matter).  I mean I've made an aircraft carrier (submersible) that has 100 ASF bays and 2 SC bays ... and some more vehicle bays.  I was under the impression that the bays themselves had equipment that a MFB has. 

But the TO description makes me wonder.  Also the mobile structure construction examples has a unit with vehicle bays and MFBs (the airship example).

One thing I didn't see in the description (will have to look again) is how much crew it takes (aha, sarna says 5, will flip thru TO again).

KS #1357

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2023, 07:42:53 »
Check out the Lysander in the Vehicle Annex TRO.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2023, 17:37:54 »
don't have that, will check sarna (and consider getting the pdf)

No mention of MFB, which suggests it is not needed, but possibly gives additional repair/rearm ability.  Does the MFB has a faster turn around time compared to a bay (MW3 days say yes, ... ok that fast would be silly)
« Last Edit: 19 January 2023, 17:45:14 by Wolf72 »

KS #1357

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2023, 21:31:18 »
ach ... the MFB intro date is like 3058 (3060 clans) (just closed book and am to lazy to open it back up!)

Anyway, they might allow faster service times, but I've got to assume that a typical veh/ASF/Mech bay has the same capabilities, more or less.

KS #1357

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2023, 11:15:32 »
Hey: what about vehicle bays?  normally a naval vessel would need to be adjacent to a level 1 ground hex to disembark a unit, but what about hover, amphibious or other naval units (ie sending out a pegasus hovercraft for scouting, or carrying a submarine unit in a vehicle bay?) ... which book would that be in?
I don't know for sure, but I can't think of a reason why not. In XTRO: Republic I the Hexareme is said to deploy Undine battle armor directly into the ocean. In real life amphibious ships often have a well deck that lets them deploy hovercraft or smaller watercraft, so I think you could put in a vehicle bay and deploy a Pegasus or Sea Skimmer. You'd be restricted by the number of doors, of course.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2023, 17:02:47 »
the vehicles on my big carrier are either vtol or subs

KS #1357

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2023, 08:52:14 »
the vehicles on my big carrier are either vtol or subs

OK. Then it's a giant moon pool. :)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2023, 20:44:26 »
Totally a moon pool! ... SeaQuest DSV ftw! ... it was SeaQuest right? (memory is glitchy)

VToL launched via heli-pad above decks.  Ok what holds a 200t support airplane? ... would assume a SC bay, but could it be a SH Veh bay?

KS #1357

mbear

• Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #16 on: 31 January 2023, 07:12:39 »
I think a superheavy vehicle bay. If you want to avoid arguments, use the more annoying/restrictive option.
Be the Loremaster:

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #17 on: 31 January 2023, 10:39:29 »
You may also want to look at the Waki-whatever the Dracs built as a large naval ship.  It has a lot of utility into the design able to operate a bunch of 'parasite' units IIRC.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 31 January 2023, 18:32:39 »
I think a superheavy vehicle bay. If you want to avoid arguments, use the more annoying/restrictive option.

there isn't a whole lot of difference, but I think I'll go with the SC bay.  It seems to fit the profile better.

KS #1357

Register