Register Register

Author Topic: Capellan Augmented Lances  (Read 1031 times)

Grizzly

• Sergeant
Capellan Augmented Lances
« on: 05 October 2022, 10:31:36 »
Does anybody use these? The sourcebooks indicate that the typical formation is 4 mechs and two vehicles, or four vehicles and two battle armor.

But four mechs and two battle armor seems close enough not to be lore breaking.

I wonder if anybody else plans lance lists around this setup.
"Checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: Capellan Augmented Lances
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2022, 10:39:00 »
While I don't specifically plan around that setup, it does play well with my preferred playstyle, so it's not unheard of for my forces to look something along those lines.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

AlphaMirage

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2022, 10:56:21 »
I play them. It's a good combo, typically I will use Regulators as flanking units while my main lance is engaged. The vehicle born one is typically used as an objective force, either rush in or hold ground. Unfortunately most CCAF mechs aren't particularly fast or Omni so Mech/Battle Armor formations aren't great except maybe in an urban fight.

tassa_kay

• Captain
  • Blood cries for blood.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2022, 11:07:24 »
Absolutely I do. I built my entire Thuggee Warrior House unit around that setup, in fact: almost every lance I have is augmented.
My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah, 29th Blood Drinkers Cluster (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses)

Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Escorpion Imperio • Rasalhague Dominion • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Ki-linn Liao • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • The Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • The Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 05 October 2022, 11:28:05 »
Glad I'm not the only one. What BV matches are these?

I find vehicles hard to squeeze in below 8k unless they are pretty cheap like the Predator or some missile carriers.

At 6k I just add a couple of Fa Shih usually.
"Checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2022, 13:39:37 »
I think we started doing that back in the '80's. If there could be an "air lance" of 4 Battlemechs and 2 Aerospace fighters, why not different variations of that?

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2022, 13:55:11 »
Glad I'm not the only one. What BV matches are these?

I find vehicles hard to squeeze in below 8k unless they are pretty cheap like the Predator or some missile carriers.

At 6k I just add a couple of Fa Shih usually.
IntroTech forces can usually start fielding somewhat effective aug lances at around 6k BV, but yeah 7.5k-10k is ideal.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2022, 14:10:18 »
Sure if 6 was good enough for the WoB...

But it does give a lot more flexibility and options...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2022, 14:45:49 »

Here’s a Cappie Battalion built completely out of augmented lances.  May be a good starting point:

PAGET’S DRAGOONS —> https://bg.battletech.com/forums/non-canon-units/paget's-dragoons-1st-batt-toe-46418/msg1070309/#msg1070309

All four types of Capellan augmented Lances described here:

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Inner_Sphere_military_structure#Augmented_Lance
« Last Edit: 10 October 2022, 14:49:18 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 10 October 2022, 15:02:49 »
I play them. It's a good combo, typically I will use Regulators as flanking units while my main lance is engaged. The vehicle born one is typically used as an objective force, either rush in or hold ground. Unfortunately most CCAF mechs aren't particularly fast or Omni so Mech/Battle Armor formations aren't great except maybe in an urban fight.
Don't forget the capcon invented BA magclamps and their standard BA suit is the Fa Shih. So they are not restricted to Omnis to carry their BA on mechs, nor have to rely on infantry bays to carry them with vehicles.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #10 on: 10 October 2022, 15:10:27 »
Don't forget the capcon invented BA magclamps and their standard BA suit is the Fa Shih. So they are not restricted to Omnis to carry their BA on mechs, nor have to rely on infantry bays to carry them with vehicles.

This, the whole reason that docrine evolved is the Fa Shih & Mag Clamps.  Later when they get a quad, they can do it with slower fire support designs leaving the BA to protect them.  But a pair of Fa Shih riding amidst 4 Regulators make for a great flanking force to make withdrawing harder . . . you are swinging 4 gauss rifles and two sets of mines around the flank to block some critical terrain.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #11 on: 10 October 2022, 15:21:48 »
Does anybody use these? The sourcebooks indicate that the typical formation is 4 mechs and two vehicles, or four vehicles and two battle armor.

But four mechs and two battle armor seems close enough not to be lore breaking.

I wonder if anybody else plans lance lists around this setup.

As a Dark Age Capellan player, yes, I use them nearly every scenario. That said, I generally prefer the 4 'Mech/2 tank lance to the other versions, for flexibility purposes.

If you want to see them in action, check out my long-running Warrior House Ma-Tsu Kai campaign.
« Last Edit: 10 October 2022, 16:08:57 by Kojak »

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Dapper Apples

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 10 October 2022, 15:30:01 »
I don't really play cappies but most of my casual army lists end up this way.  Four mechs plus whatever bv is left over for vees, ba, or the rare aero asset.

Usually something really cheap, like harassars with some inferno shenanigans or scorpions for ac/5 plinks or light lrm lob slob.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #13 on: 10 October 2022, 16:23:14 »
This, the whole reason that docrine evolved is the Fa Shih & Mag Clamps.  Later when they get a quad, they can do it with slower fire support designs leaving the BA to protect them.  But a pair of Fa Shih riding amidst 4 Regulators make for a great flanking force to make withdrawing harder . . . you are swinging 4 gauss rifles and two sets of mines around the flank to block some critical terrain.
and their loadouts are pretty good.. the LRR loadout gives them some pretty good range for BA, and the TAG loadout makes them really useful support for artillery. and the support variant's BA plasma rifle can be nasty

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 11 October 2022, 09:24:25 »
Honestly, I think most augmented lances are fun to play. I've talked, length, about the augmented fire support lances I run with mechs, LRM carriers and hover or VTOL spotters. Combined arms units open up the game in some big ways and make for a more enjoyable gaming experience, IMO.

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 17 October 2022, 17:40:41 »
Loving the ideas shared here.

Here's my attempt at an augmented Lance which I may paint as the 11th Sian Dragoons from Empire Alone:

Men Shen D (4/5)
Wraith TR1 (4/4)
Firebee 3E (4/6)
Stinger 4G (4/6)
Predator Tank Destroyer (4/6)
Predator Tank Destroyer (4/6)
5,997BV

Feedback wanted!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #16 on: 18 October 2022, 09:27:55 »
The question with that lance is, are you going to be able to get the Predators into position (aka survive) to open up on the opposing mechs so your limited crit seeking with teh Firebee can attrite the opposition.  I mean, the Wraith and Men Shen are going to be racing ahead to get off their 10 point hits but you lack the punch after that if the Predators  get bogged down (crits or terrain) or outright destroyed.

The piloting on the TDs is not as worrying as your light mechs.  If you want better skills, you might want to trade in the TDs for a Fa Shih and Trinity BA (rides Men Shen).  Rush in, drop the BA to bog down your opposition, and then you can play the hit & fade strikes on them.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan Confederation Armed Forces.

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 21 October 2022, 10:20:21 »
Colt I see your point. I really want to try the predators and I have the Wraith and Men Shen minis so maybe I just need a little more BV to make it work.

What about

Predator TD (4/6)
Predator TD (4/6)

Men Shen D (4/5)
Wraith TR1 (4/5)
Lao Hu 4E (4/5)
Firebee 3E (4/6)

Total: 7,477 BV

Thoughts? I think it brings more threats and long range options.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #18 on: 21 October 2022, 11:25:23 »
The Lao Hu's two big hole punchers definitely change the feel and give the LBX something to exploit.

I would say it is do-able as long as your table does not usually show up with 2 gunner assaults.
Colt Ward

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 21 October 2022, 11:43:23 »
The Lao Hu's two big hole punchers definitely change the feel and give the LBX something to exploit.

I would say it is do-able as long as your table does not usually show up with 2 gunner assaults.

I could go a step further and swap the Men Shen for a Huron Warrior for more hole punching.

Thoughts?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #20 on: 21 October 2022, 12:11:17 »
I thought about a PHX-3L or such instead of the Wraith to compensate on the Lao Hu for the small cockpit.  But like I said, the key thing is what is accepted around your table.  We have a few players that bring the fewest number of units so they have really high gun/pilot skills.  A 2/4 assault with long range weapons is difficult to execute a run & gun strategy with lighter/numerous units.
Colt Ward

Register