Register Register

Author Topic: Clan armor how does it work?  (Read 852 times)

Kursed VIxen

• Recruit
Clan armor how does it work?
« on: 20 January 2022, 14:46:22 »
How does Clan armor work as far as mechs is it equal in strength to IS armor? is it lighter stronger or anything? as far as damage resistance or ability to be damaged is there  any diffrence? Feel free to move this topic to an appropriate sub-forum or forum, I'm not sure where this question would best fit.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2022, 20:00:07 by Hammer »

Charistoph

• Captain
Re: Clan armor how does it work?
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2022, 21:52:35 »
How does Clan armor work as far as mechs is it equal in strength to IS armor? is it lighter stronger or anything? as far as damage resistance or ability to be damaged is there  any diffrence? Feel free to move this topic to an appropriate sub-forum or forum, I'm not sure where this question would best fit.

Depends on the armor, really. 

Standard armor has no real differentiation, such that the Dire Wolf and Atlas are remarkably similar.

Ferro-Fibrous is when the differences became apparent and noticeable.  Clan FF Armor would provide more protection for the same weight investment that Standard or IS FF does, and using up less slots as well.

Laser-Reflective and Reactive Armors don't gain any weight advantage with Clan builds (I believe), but do have the space savings that their FF Armor does.

From there, it is access to more interesting armors which define the differences, such as the Inner Sphere developing Hardened Armor first, while the Clans developed Ferro-Lamellor and the Inner Sphere hasn't quite figured out how to do that without buying it from them.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2022, 10:03:58 »
Clan armor comes with free CASE, which is a rather nice perk. For one, it'll work in locations regular CASE can't. For another, replicating the effect the hard way would cost a lot of tonnage. And crits.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2022, 12:05:40 »
Clan CASE doesn't seem to be part of the armor, as Atlas and Marauder Cs have Clan CASE retrofitted into them, while implicitly their armor is untouched.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2022, 14:42:24 »
Yep, looks like the TM rules tie it to being built with a Clan tech base, not IS or armor. This is dumb, but it is what it is.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2022, 15:46:07 »
I always figured Clan CASE was part of components such as OmniPodded weapons or ammo bins, hence space and weight free. Not entirely sure how that would work with non-Omni tech but shouldn't be impossible, just a bit weird it is applied selectively.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2022, 16:20:01 »
The selective application is a game design problem, really.  If TPTB want it to be independent of the Internal Structure and only of Tech Base, that's their call.

Adastra

• Sergeant
  • ~(,, _`;;'>
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2022, 22:31:46 »
Could just be that the Clans have improved ammo bins with built in CASE that can still support IS ammo, letting them relatively easily retrofit it into existing designs. Of course then you'd need to explain why it can't be used in the IS tech base (unless it can be).
« Last Edit: 23 January 2022, 22:34:41 by Adastra »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2022, 00:45:07 »
Could just be that the Clans have improved ammo bins with built in CASE that can still support IS ammo, letting them relatively easily retrofit it into existing designs. Of course then you'd need to explain why it can't be used in the IS tech base (unless it can be).
i'd argue that since CASE involved the ammo bins having blowout panels to channel the explosion, even if clan ammo bins have the extra protective housings needed for CASE, if they're fitted to an IS built machine that wasn't designed to handle blowout panels (such as ammo bay not being close enough to the back armor, or there being important systems in the way between the bin and the back armor) the tech doesn't provide a benefit. clan built systems would have that sort of design automatically (thus why it costs nothing) but IS built systems aren't automatically compatible. unit with IS CASE would thus be easier to retrofit to use the clan version (with the IS system using heavier and bulkier materials for the ammo bin armoring and blast channeling bits)