Register Register

Poll

They meet up and do battle-who will win ?

Atlas AS-7D
Marauder II MAD-4A
To close to call .

Author Topic: Fight night : Atlas AS-7D versus Marauder II MAD-4A  (Read 2818 times)

garhkal

• Major
Re: Fight night : Atlas AS-7D versus Marauder II MAD-4A
« Reply #30 on: 23 September 2022, 00:14:08 »
Well, the AS-7K would put the range game back in the Atlas's favor, but it's got a vulnerable XL engine and terrible heat efficiency.

There's more than just the 7k that has a gauss.  THe 7CM and 7S2 both also have gauss..  Though the Cm does waste 5 tons for its master and since its a one on one engagement that master is useless...
But the 7S2 has double heat, and the two ER large lasers, joining in that LRM-15 with artemis..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #31 on: 23 September 2022, 01:50:35 »
I don't think it's really fair to switch over to an optimized Civil War-era mech while sticking with the Succession Wars era Marauder II.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #32 on: 23 September 2022, 12:20:45 »
There's more than just the 7k that has a gauss.  THe 7CM and 7S2 both also have gauss.. 
CM also has XL which was the previous poster's point.
Meanwhile the 7S2 doesn't mount a Gauss Rifle, it has a Heavy Gauss which is a different animal.
So not sure why these are mentioned.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: 23 September 2022, 13:10:57 »
Yes, the 7K is a better match but, as has been pointed out, it's heat management is crap. Pumping off one ERLL, the Gauss and the LRM 20 keeps in the long range keeps it heat neutral. And... But, the AS-7K is also tech level above the MAD-4A. Compare the AS-7K to the MAD-5A and you've got a better match-up. Or, take the MAD-5B and there's the AS-7K is hurting.

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 23 September 2022, 13:35:54 »
Fare enough.  Make them both 3058 tech level.. 

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 23 September 2022, 14:14:15 »
We are getting quite off topic w/ all the new tech variants.

And its pretty clear the Ammo dependent AC20 boom stick isn't going to take down a Jumping Flashbulb Zombie in "Most" cases.

That said, it still has ammo, but, I wonder if maybe the 7RS or the PPC toting "Warlord Dieron" model might be better comparisons as intro tech/canon options v/s the 7D.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Losferwords

• Recruit
  • The dude abides.
    • Player of Games
« Reply #36 on: 02 October 2022, 18:06:26 »
The Marauder II has PPCs and jump jets. It can dictate the range, and the Atlas' LRM-20 is not enough to kill the Marauder II. No contest.

:thumbsup:
ICQ Number?!?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 02 October 2022, 18:20:48 »
I don't think I've ever seen a Fight Night pole this lopsided before.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #38 on: 02 October 2022, 18:47:57 »
Well, MLO4H, this time we have the arguably the best 'Mech of its era up against the first-of-its-kind (100-tonne).

Say, are the FN threads a community-thing, or the province of a certain spate of posters? I have one that I've played out numerous times I like to hear other opinions on.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth, 
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.
When I needed something good.                                            One day we'll reveal the truth,
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.        That one will die before he gets there.

But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #39 on: 02 October 2022, 19:11:02 »
I thought the Mackie was 100 tons? ???

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 02 October 2022, 20:08:57 »
I thought the Mackie was 100 tons? ???

The Mackie was chronologically the first 100 ton mech, but the Atlas was the first one to show up in the game.  Though the Marauder II was the third or fourth.

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 02 October 2022, 23:40:56 »
The Mackie was chronologically the first 100 ton mech, but the Atlas was the first one to show up in the game.  Though the Marauder II was the third or fourth.

Depending on how you want to count it, I believe 4th.  The Annihilator was the first Mech shown in Wolf's Dragoons, and the Imp was right before the Marauder II.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 03 October 2022, 03:30:12 »
That makes sense!  :thumbsup:

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 03 October 2022, 08:38:47 »
I wonder, would the poll result be the same if we switched the Atlas, for an Imp?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #44 on: 03 October 2022, 09:02:01 »
Doubtful.  The Imp has a much better shot against the Marauder II thanks to better matching its range brackets.

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 03 October 2022, 10:00:51 »
I'll still take the Marauder II over the Imp, simply because of the jump jets. The range brackets are similar but the MAD-4A can get out of trouble and into better firing positions. If the Marauder can get itself into a good sniper hide early on, it can really light up the Imp as it closes the distance. The Imp will be able to return a lot of fire but it'll have to do so on the run.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 03 October 2022, 10:17:10 »
Map choice will also affect things a lot more: a more open map with low cover means that the Marauder won't get as much usage out of its jump jets.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 03 October 2022, 10:26:00 »
To me the IMP is the single best Intro tech 100 ton mech.
I'd take it any day over the Marauder unless I was in some serious heavy terrain.
LRMs & MLs are a far better combo than the single LL.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #48 on: 03 October 2022, 18:00:49 »
Jump jets are the get out of heavy terrain free card.  On that basis alone, I'd take the Marauder over the Imp any day.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #49 on: 04 October 2022, 19:19:50 »

I mean, the 100=tonne Mackie technically first saw light in Tales of the Black Widow, which predated TRO3025...though--like my beloved Merlin--I never saw anyone back in the day use it outside the context of the scenario it appeared in. So, functionally, my take on the matter is as MLO4H says.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth, 
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.
When I needed something good.                                            One day we'll reveal the truth,
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.        That one will die before he gets there.

But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #50 on: 04 October 2022, 19:29:37 »
That's a fair interpretation, but I stand by mine too.  It's just a matter of what you mean by "first".

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 05 October 2022, 00:42:55 »
I'll still take the Marauder II over the Imp, simply because of the jump jets. The range brackets are similar but the MAD-4A can get out of trouble and into better firing positions. If the Marauder can get itself into a good sniper hide early on, it can really light up the Imp as it closes the distance. The Imp will be able to return a lot of fire but it'll have to do so on the run.

Why?
It has an LRM15 v/s LL.
Find your own cover/hide position & return fire from outside the Mad's range.
Once your out of ammo, THEN close, and at close range 5 ML to 2 is a hefty advantage.

Marauder is amazing mech, but the JJs & lack of ammo are the only advantages it has over the Imp.

The Imp has better firepower at every range.  Particularly at extreme sniping ranges & slugfest close ranges.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 05 October 2022, 01:00:14 »
I decided to make a new Fight Night for the Imp vs Marauder II.

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #53 on: 17 October 2022, 19:25:11 »
The Atlas is a dedicated "team player" general purpose assault mech. In a one on one fight (unless it is against a much lower tonnage mech) it is not going to fare well. Give the Atlas 3 other mechs to form a lance, and give the Marauder II the same lancemates and now its a fight. Against the intro-tech Atlas, the standard 75T Marauder is a more even match in a direct dual than the Marauder II.
For The Archon!

garhkal

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 18 October 2022, 00:16:45 »
I decided to make a new Fight Night for the Imp vs Marauder II.

Maybe you could do a new one each week, or month..  Maybe pick a tonnage (or have us vote), and run two mechs from said tonnage against one another.. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 18 October 2022, 00:30:09 »
People did that for a while years ago.  There's no reason why anyone who wants to can't.