Register Register

Poll

Do you play with floating critical hits rule?

Yes
55 (69.6%)
No
13 (16.5%)
Occasionally
11 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: Floating criticals, do you use them?  (Read 2710 times)

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
Re: Floating criticals, do you use them?
« Reply #60 on: 16 November 2021, 18:47:03 »
And unless one is playing a campaign...who cares?

And if you are...a head blown off is a lot cheaper to repair than a blown engine of Gyro

AFTER the fight .

During the fight a damaged unit still counts as a unit during the movement phase .
(as long is the engine doesn't have 3 hits which means it dead)
It can also prop itself up and fire weapons and/or be used as a spotter .
Sure it pays a penalty but it's also a prone target .

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Lemme Talk to the Manager!
« Reply #61 on: 16 November 2021, 18:52:58 »
AFTER the fight .

During the fight a damaged unit still counts as a unit during the movement phase .
(as long is the engine doesn't have 3 hits which means it dead)
It can also prop itself up and fire weapons and/or be used as a spotter .
Sure it pays a penalty but it's also a prone target .

And that's different from a Mech with a leg shot off how 🤔
« Last Edit: 16 November 2021, 19:47:22 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

DevianID

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #62 on: 17 November 2021, 02:10:32 »
And that's different from a Mech with a leg shot off how
Taking a leg off a mech is much harder with a TAC than a gyro.  For one, it requires a 12 on the crit instead of a 10+. 

I don't necessarily believe it is more engaging.  That is far more subjective.

The Floating TAC, while it gets rid of deliberately placing one's self on the left side isn't quite as tactical
I was using 'engaging' to mean interactive (bad word choice by me then?).  Like you said in the next line, floating TAC isnt quite as tactical, meaning you have few opportunities to interact on the board to influence outcomes.  Random luck plays a bigger part, and with more luck on average games take longer (except for the 1 in 1000 when games are REALLY short from head blown off floats)

And unless one is playing a campaign...who cares?

And if you are...a head blown off is a lot cheaper to repair than a blown engine of Gyro
In any campaign I play, the most expensive/hard to replace part is the mechwarrior, meaning the increased head destruction from a floating TAC rules set versus gyro has very different implications.
« Last Edit: 17 November 2021, 02:12:40 by DevianID »

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #63 on: 17 November 2021, 05:26:37 »
And that's different from a Mech with a leg shot off how 🤔

He's describing a mech with its leg shot off. It can still shoot and sink initiative. That's the most obvious difference between having your mech's leg shot off and being outright destroyed.

General308

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 02 December 2021, 09:36:56 »
I've never really used floating critical hits rule. I'm not actually sure why, except perhaps feeling critical hits are good enough as they are.

But what about others? Do you play with? Why or why not? What do you like about them?

Yea we use them,  Why, Because why would only one section of the mech be able to suffer a crit?

koraq

• Private
« Reply #65 on: 02 December 2021, 11:24:16 »
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned upthread, but I can't find it. What is "floating crits" anyway?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 02 December 2021, 11:37:46 »
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned upthread, but I can't find it. What is "floating crits" anyway?

On a 2 instead of the crit hitting the CT only you reroll the location and apply the damage and crit chance there. One of the most common and easy optional rules

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Lemme Talk to the Manager!
« Reply #67 on: 02 December 2021, 12:02:11 »

Page 45 of the BMM (originally in TACTICAL OPERATIONS).
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

koraq

• Private
« Reply #68 on: 02 December 2021, 14:29:27 »
Thanks. I mostly play Alpha Strike these days, so I had missed that one.

koraq

• Private
« Reply #69 on: 03 December 2021, 09:54:36 »
I actually realize that I might have mis-read that rules, as I had not interpreted it as the crit should go to CT. I expected it to mean, roll again. So, I've always played with "floating" crits.

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #70 on: 03 December 2021, 13:04:16 »
I actually realize that I might have mis-read that rules, as I had not interpreted it as the crit should go to CT. I expected it to mean, roll again. So, I've always played with "floating" crits.

This is a pretty common reasons for using floating crits, yeah.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #71 on: 23 December 2021, 12:00:18 »
Q: Floating criticals, do you use them?

A: No, mine all tend to sink.

Moving potential critical hits from the CT to a randomized location benefits some designs while penalizing others.  Playing with or without the optional rule gives a different meta-game, which is a positive thing in my book, especially if you use it often, but not in every game.  That gives you an incentive to field different things.  The RNG giveth and the RNG taketh away and all that, and variety is the spice of both life and Battletech.

To me, the more realistic feeling of having vulnerabilities scattered across the 'Mech, rather than having every 'Mech with the same inexplicable weakness in the CT, is worth the extra die roll.

Coldstone

• Sergeant
  • Every battle is a lesson, waiting to be learned.
« Reply #72 on: 28 December 2021, 10:15:49 »
Always in use.

Why? Why should the CT be the only Location where a TAC could happen?
Music is a mysterious thing. Sometimes it makes people remember things they do not´╗┐ expect. Many thoughts, feelings, memories... things almost forgotten... Regardless of whether the listener desires to remember or not.

Only in death does duty end.

Sabelkatten

• Major
« Reply #73 on: 02 January 2022, 03:54:43 »
Also, legs randomly falling off from AC/2 hits is hillarious! ;D

Urbicus_Mechicus

• Recruit
  • From 3rd SW to Jihad at full 32.4 km/h
« Reply #74 on: 02 January 2022, 14:04:54 »
I've never really used floating critical hits rule. I'm not actually sure why, except perhaps feeling critical hits are good enough as they are.

But what about others? Do you play with? Why or why not? What do you like about them?

I do play with floating crits. To me, using this optional rule adds a more "simulation" feeling to the game, with lucky strikes like the magazine explosion that sunk HMS Hood, or the myriad of critical damage that aircraft can suffer when exposed to enemy fire (other factors apply, of course).

Also, it is a simple enough optional rule that I can manage to incorporate into the game without a great deal of record keeping. Other optional rules, I can't cope with the added record keeping or complexity (e.g.: Double Blind, Sensor rules, Simulatenous Movement), although they sure look like bringing a deeper simulation to the field.

Finally, as of the floating criticals effect on balance that was discussed, IMHO the very moment you bring optional rules into play, balance starts slipping through the same door. Nevertheless, I won't pick a 3025 'mech with ammo that doesn't have proper crit padding next to it, regardless of floating crits being in effect or not, due to the armor plates tendency to evaporate under enemy fire.

Humble like a Light 'Mech, ambitious like an AC/10 carrying trashcan