Register Register

Author Topic: Theoretical Minimum Armor  (Read 2160 times)

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
Theoretical Minimum Armor
« on: 02 October 2021, 23:31:56 »
You've got a light Vee for moving infantry; Quickly, even…

But how much armor is too little?

Any tricks of the trade to this? (SOP is to drive into the bank, before unloading.) Do we have anything about taking cover under shot-up wreaks? ::)

Do we have anything about taking cover under shot-up wreaked helicopters? xp

What else have you got for me?
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Frustration

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Theoretical Minimum Armor
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2021, 23:40:14 »
Any vehicle on a modern battlefield must be able to survive a hit from a medium laser to any non-rear direction if the goal is to transport infantry.  Anything less and you become a superb target of opportunity for secondary weapons fire, and critically fail at the whole 'deploying' part of deploying infantry in a combat environment.

Ideally I'd not go below being able to survive a 10 point hit to any common facing and a 5 point hit to the rear.  If this requires the vehicle to be scaled up to 10 tons or more so be it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Charistoph

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2021, 12:23:56 »
Any vehicle on a modern battlefield must be able to survive a hit from a medium laser to any non-rear direction if the goal is to transport infantry.  Anything less and you become a superb target of opportunity for secondary weapons fire, and critically fail at the whole 'deploying' part of deploying infantry in a combat environment.

Ideally I'd not go below being able to survive a 10 point hit to any common facing and a 5 point hit to the rear.  If this requires the vehicle to be scaled up to 10 tons or more so be it.

I would say a Clan Medium Pulse Laser these days, if not the Clan Large Pulse Laser (as you mentioned a 10 point hit).  Speed's best advantage is often reduced, if not negated, by the Pulse Advantages, even worse if it has a Targeting Computer.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2021, 14:24:22 »
10 points in four directions is 2.5 tons of armor.  That can fit on a 5-ton vehicle...

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2021, 14:36:03 »
I would say a Clan Medium Pulse Laser these days, if not the Clan Large Pulse Laser (as you mentioned a 10 point hit).  Speed's best advantage is often reduced, if not negated, by the Pulse Advantages, even worse if it has a Targeting Computer.

The goal in mind for the absolute bare minimum was not necessarily avoid common guns, it was require enough effort to be an unattractive secondary target.  In my experience Clan MPLs, or really MPLs of any stripe, will probably have a better target unless you're the primary target, in which case 10 points of armor is going to do ****** all for your odds of surviving that kind of attention.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2021, 12:18:30 »
The goal in mind for the absolute bare minimum was not necessarily avoid common guns, it was require enough effort to be an unattractive secondary target.  In my experience Clan MPLs, or really MPLs of any stripe, will probably have a better target unless you're the primary target, in which case 10 points of armor is going to do ****** all for your odds of surviving that kind of attention.

Vehicular stealth armor, once it is available, helps a lot here - IIRC a unit with active stealth armor cannot be designated as a secondary target.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2021, 12:59:53 »
Well, less than 90% of its maximum armor point value for its weight class? When I made a custom unit for myself, I put maximum possible armor or -0.5 ton before think about anything else. At least for ground units.

For specific armor points, less than 20 points except for the back of mech? It makes you to survive at least ONE hit on a location barring criticals, regardless what is before(or sometimes even worse, after) of you.

Dapper Apples

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2021, 16:11:15 »
Theoretically, the minimal possible armor is making your infantry motorized.  In fact the vehicles basically don't protect the infantry at all.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2021, 16:20:41 »
The Savannah Master shows you the theoretical minimum really.

10 Point Front   (PPC-Clan LPL)
6 Point Sides   (IS MPL)
2 Point Rear   (MG/SRM)

1.5 Tons = 24 Points
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 06 October 2021, 14:06:29 »
Mechanized infantry would be worse for infantry than a vehicle with no armor since their vehicles actually increase the damage they take.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 06 October 2021, 18:08:19 »
I did an analysis of all Davion 3025 'Mechs last year and for a passing grade a light 'Mech had to have at least 4 tons of armor and max head armor, the extension to vehicles which I've never gotten around to doing would have likely extended that rule.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 06 October 2021, 18:13:47 »
8 points on the head is enough for most purposes, I think.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2021, 08:23:06 »
8 points on the head is enough for most purposes, I think.

Enough for 2 5-point hits or 1 10-point hit, counting the internal structure. Solid reasoning.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

kaliban

• Warrant Officer
  • https://owa3025.blogspot.com/
    • Outworlds Alliance blog
« Reply #13 on: 11 October 2021, 10:42:39 »
if your units is really fast (11/17+) you probably don't need armor at all because you can move and drop the infantry before you get hit.

You can have fast hovercrafts and vtols carrying 3-4 tons of infantry for a BV value below 20 which is a huge metagaming advantage and giving your infantry huge mobility.

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #14 on: 11 October 2021, 15:20:05 »
That's bad contingency planing … :(
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Frustration

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #15 on: 11 October 2021, 18:14:24 »
If your fast transports can get to cover fast enough and drop infantry behind cover, armor isn't an issue.  Of course that only works on maps with one level of cover or enough woods.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Dapper Apples

• Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 11 October 2021, 18:37:52 »
just don't get shot at lmao

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #17 on: 12 October 2021, 10:32:03 »
In too many cases, I discover that the theoretical minimum amount of armor on a location is one point more than you actually have.  Then someone fields an SRM Carrier, and it doesn't matter how much armor you have, the TAC hits alone are enough to insure serious problems.

Having 7/11 or 8/12 speed helps, but that's a LOT more effective if the enemy has something better to shoot at.  The enemy tends to ignore your little stinging gnat when there's a 70-80 ton metal brick with guns getting right up in his face.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 16 October 2021, 18:12:17 »
if your units is really fast (11/17+) you probably don't need armor at all because you can move and drop the infantry before you get hit.

You can have fast hovercrafts and vtols carrying 3-4 tons of infantry for a BV value below 20 which is a huge metagaming advantage and giving your infantry huge mobility.
Cluster bombs, artillery cannons, air-burst mortars, and mine clearance missiles all say this is a bad idea as they do area affect damage and ignore TMM.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 16 October 2021, 18:28:34 »
If you have a big enough AOE, you can even get around cover...  >:D

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 22 October 2021, 09:15:54 »
Armor is only important if you get a chance to shoot the target before it unloads . Pg 3 Fan designs "Has Anyone tried " one person light support vehicles that can carry up to 1 Assault battle armor suit at ridiculous speed .  Slowest is 21 fastest is 32 I think . Maybe 8 points of armor max . Infantry and battle armor are area denial assets if in the movement phase the vehicles move and unload payload within 1 hex of troop's designated hex function achieved for the vehicle regardless of armor .

The very low cost /unit makes them a nice alternative .
« Last Edit: 22 October 2021, 09:18:59 by Col Toda »

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 22 October 2021, 18:55:58 »
Since you can carry an Assault armor by simply ticking the "omni" box, I'm surprised the max speed was only 32...

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 26 October 2021, 06:31:30 »
Most Assault Armor cant be carried by ticking omni .

Any armor being carried by definition is on site too late for the most important area denial function .

The aforementioned small support vehicles  was part of a design challenge.  VTOL 32 moving a Kanazuchi suit/s to an area before the enemy gets there . Each small support vehicle costs less than 90,000 C bills.
Each .  And I think 4 points of armor .
« Last Edit: 28 October 2021, 03:22:12 by Col Toda »

BATTLEMASTER

• Lieutenant
  • Lightning From Another Zip Code
« Reply #23 on: 28 October 2021, 11:02:10 »
Since you can carry an Assault armor by simply ticking the "omni" box, I'm surprised the max speed was only 32...

IIRC assault BA can't make use of mechanized BA rules and need to be transported in cargo/troop space.  Heavy suits could do it though.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 28 October 2021, 18:07:13 »
Ah, you're probably right.  I don't play with BA much, much less the Assault variety.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #25 on: 29 October 2021, 14:31:47 »
IMHO, 2 tons of armor for an infantry carrier. Goes to 9 points per location without a turret, so move it around some for a heavy front if you'd like.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 29 October 2021, 17:07:57 »
2.5 tons means any face can take a stray PPC.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 29 October 2021, 21:17:41 »
Ridiculous speed and dismountting adjacent to desired hex . The enemy can choose to waste shots on abandoned unarmed disposable transport or shoot at half a squad of battle armor before they form up as a full squad . Most mapboards are 16×17 hexes the aforementioned small support VTOL  moves flank 32 hexes flying so it probably can get to the destination on a 2×2 map board battlefield. 

Same premiss as do you shoot at the hovertank  at short range with 10 Rocket launcher 10s that will shoot simultaneously to you or the ones at medium range that will not shoot at you until the following combat turn . Shooting at the unit that effectively already done all the damage it can is pointless betterto attack units that can do further damage to you .  Once the vehicles gets the troops to the desired  destination the damage is done you have to destroy the Battle Armor that can do damage to you not the ultra light VTOL  that finished delivering them .

Movement Phase and dismountting happens first in Battletech.  Weapon phase happens later . Stacking rules is the only thing that prevents instant transport results in a single combat turn .This is why the 4 points of armor is likely enough for something that never going to get shot at.  The small support vehicles are battlefield salvage/loot not targets normally .
« Last Edit: 29 October 2021, 21:40:17 by Col Toda »

theagent

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 10 November 2021, 19:22:36 »
It can kind of vary.  I know I'd looked into it before from the 'Mech perspective, with the absolute minimum being at least 1 point per section...& based on the minimum tonnage allotments, basically it ended being 1 ton of armor (16 points).  The effective minimum, however, I decided, was based off the comparison of that "1 ton minimum" to the maximum tonnage on a 20-ton mech (4.5 tons absolute, 4 tons with no wasted armor pips), & came up with a basic rule I follow of "25% of maximum armor, rounded up to the nearest half-ton".

For a vehicle, there is no maximum tonnage, but it's probably safe to say that if you're using a lot more armor tonnage than an equivalent 'Mech, you're probably using too much armor protection, since CV can suffer essentially critical hits (i.e. motive hits) before they start taking internal structure damage, at a much higher chance than 'Mechs. 

So the question becomes what the role of your vehicle is.  Let's face it:  APCs & Heavy APCs (the CBT versions) are not meant to really face off against other CV or 'Mechs.  They're meant to get the infantry platoons onto the battlefield, & provide some additional anti-infantry firepower (MGs being lethal against infantry platoons), but that's about it.  So if it's meant to be just a "battlefield taxi", you're probably safe on the lower side.  I'd suggest at least 0.5 tons (8 points), as that lets you have 3 Front/2 Sides/1 Rear (minimum coverage), or 2 Front & Sides/1 Rear/1 Turret.  One ton gets you to 5/4/3 or 4/3/3/3, 2 tons gets you to 10/9/4 or 8/7/3/7.

For vehicles that are actually designed to counter other vehicles, I'd say the absolute minimum is going to be the Savannah Master profile:  1.5 tons to get 10/6/2, or 2 tons to get 10/6/4/6.  Beyond that, I would recommend a minimum of 15% of the overall tonnage be devoted to armor, with a maximum of 25-30% of overall tonnage.  Too little, & you have a "tinclad" "glass cannon".  Too much, & you're either a slowly moving foxhole or have very few weapons.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 10 November 2021, 19:24:41 »
I prefer 2.5 tons on my light vehicles.  That's a PPC hit on any of four facings...