Register Register

Author Topic: IS vs Clan  (Read 567 times)

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
IS vs Clan
« on: 04 October 2022, 10:35:44 »
So, I'm playing IS versus Clan this week (3060 or earlier). I'd like to hear how you guys approach these matches. I'll have a 25% bump over the Clans (they have 6k BV and I have 7.5K) and, with IS being cheaper I'll be able to swarm. I'm thinking about this basic set up:

Two snipers/overwatch
2 LRM carriers
Lance of Ferrets for indirect spotting
Fill out the rest with medium brawlers.

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
Re: IS vs Clan
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2022, 10:41:59 »
That works pretty well. I like throwing in a couple skirms or strikers to get in on that back armor personally, and those snipers will work best if they're tough enough to take a hit but not so expensive that you don't get your BV's worth if they get out-ranged and focused by the Clanners. Once you have a target, focus it down relentlessly, even recklessly if need be. The faster you get at least one of their 'Mechs off the field, the more of a massive advantage you can swing for yourself. If you can kill one of the heavier anchors for their force while only losing one or two 'Mechs, you can snowball that into an oppressive advantage.

Oh, and kick attacks. Spam kicks for massive damage. They'll roll a 2 eventually.
« Last Edit: 04 October 2022, 10:43:32 by pokefan548 »
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2022, 10:54:31 »
I plan on using two Marauder 5S as my snipers; two ERPPCs and a Gauss in each. I'm hoping to skin some mechs with LRM volleys and along with the snipers while flanking with the brawlers.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2022, 13:26:29 »
Are they getting better pilots baked in?  Otherwise equal BV makes a even fight . . . or are you attacking?
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.
Clan Invasion Backer #149
Leviathans #104

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2022, 14:11:12 »
Are they getting better pilots baked in?  Otherwise equal BV makes a even fight . . . or are you attacking?

They're getting all 3/4. I get one pilot of my choice (no better than 2/3) and everyone else is 4/5. No adjustment to the BV for pilots.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2022, 16:26:02 »
They're getting all 3/4. I get one pilot of my choice (no better than 2/3) and everyone else is 4/5. No adjustment to the BV for pilots.
Unless my Battle Value Skill Multiplier Chart is out of date then the multiplier for 3/4 pilots is 1.32 , and the
multiplier for a 2/3 is 1.68 .   
That makes your listed Clanner force actually 7920 after the skilll multiplier .
That on it's own makes them 420 BV ahead of you .
Pick a good unit to make a 2/3 and you should be ahead on BV points .

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2022, 18:28:15 »
WVR-6Ms aren't too expensive, and quite effective brawlers.  If you just want damage (and to roll a LOT of dice), JVN-11As are your ticket.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 05 October 2022, 04:06:11 »
Many different techniques have been used from C3 and semi guided ammo to alot of off board artillary dumping laser aerosol smoke so the inner sphere ax weilding maniacs  can close without being cut to pieces by Clan laser fire befire getting into point blank range .

Grizzly

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 05 October 2022, 14:22:17 »
A few cheaper thumper infantry units make a good counter to elementals. See if you can find mechs with TAG for your medium strikers and load those LRM carriers with semi guided ammo. Conventional infantry and battle armor for holding ground cheaply.
"Checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

Natasha Kerensky

• Captain
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2022, 20:51:57 »

If alternate munitions are allowed, put some Thunder (minelaying) and Smoke LRMs in the ammo bins of those LRM Carriers. 

It’s easier to hit a hex than a mech, so Thunder and Smoke help negate the to-hit advantages of Clanners and their weapons.

Thunder reduces the mobility and to-hit advantages of all the 5/8+ Clan heavy cav.  It also introduces early damage on legs that can be exploited later by kicks or anti-mech infantry.

Smoke screws with the LOS and to-hit advantages of Clanners and their weapons.  It can be used selectively to make it harder for every Clanner you’re not targeting in a turn to target you, while leaving the one or two Clanners that are the easiest to hit that turn free of Smoke to be ganged up on by your forces.

Neither is an instant “I win” button, but used effectively and regularly, Thunder and Smoke tilt the numbers away from Clanners and toward Spheroid forces.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Calimehter

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 05 October 2022, 21:45:51 »
Many different techniques have been used from C3 and semi guided ammo to alot of off board artillary dumping laser aerosol smoke so the inner sphere ax weilding maniacs  can close without being cut to pieces by Clan laser fire befire getting into point blank range .

Hmm . . . give the LRM carriers a bunch of smoke rounds, then fill out everything but the Ferrets and LRM carriers with nothing but axe wielding Mechs and just rush into melee behind massive smokescreens.  It might not work, but it would make for a sweet AAR read.  8)

AlphaMirage

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 05 October 2022, 22:10:42 »
There are several other things you can do as well if all rules are on the table. Any mech with two hands over 40 tons can carry an SRM6 loaded with smoke. This is mathematically the best smoke thrower. Cover your advance with these or a Javelin/Commando loaded with them. Effective use of infernos also helps once you close, most Clan mechs run hot normally so extra heat is a triple threat, mechs slow down, can't fire as much, and suffer targeting penalties. To make that even force a shutdown or ammo explosion

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 07 October 2022, 03:08:33 »
I have seen the smoke screen and ax weilding maniacs work once . It is what made the battle memorable.  Never tried again as the oppostion had time to figure out mitigating tactics . Was worth doing once.

OatsAndHall

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 07 October 2022, 11:03:24 »
We're not using alternative ammo (other than SG/TAG which I'm probably going to roll with).

Register