Register Register

Author Topic: Later tech in earlier Eras?  (Read 1674 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Later tech in earlier Eras?
« Reply #30 on: 01 February 2021, 14:11:38 »
That is a good point about the Snubbie.  It was on Kerensky's Orion, so it could be very rarely available in 3025.  But a lot goes back to why introduce something to a 3rd SSW-3039 game in the first place.  If one's going to include AC variant ammo, then the Snubbie would fit right in as well, if only a very rare piece.
When Kerensky's Orion was abandoned, it was stripped of advanced tech (per BattleTech Legends). Kuritans recovered the chassis and fitted it to ON1-K standard.
Snubbies are unlikely to exists post-Star League, it was in very limited deployment, and doesn't really feel kind of low tech that would fit the Succession Wars era, unlike MRMs.

I think the Hypervelocity Autocannons would work during the Succession Wars. They're way too low tech for their actual era (post-3050) and useless in practice as Gauss Rifles and LB-X ACs offer superior capabilities.  But during the Succession Wars... Say a Highlander loses its Gauss Rifle, what do you replace it with? Canonically they went with AC/10s and PPCs. A HVAC/10 weighs only a little less than a Gauss Rifle, and possesses superior range to AC/10 and PPC. Yes, it blows up occasionally, but then again folks in BattleTech love to stuff 'Mechs with way too much MG ammo that seems to be close to most powerful explosive in the universe.
Minis needed for Atlas AS7-K2, Stalking Spider II; Kishi, Oni, Zou, Simian, Quirinus and Centaur battle armor; DI Multipurpose VTOL, Kinnol tank, JES III missile carrier.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #31 on: 01 February 2021, 14:53:29 »
I made a custom ammo design for ACs which is very "Succession Wars." Posting the link here. :)
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Charistoph

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 01 February 2021, 15:54:44 »
When Kerensky's Orion was abandoned, it was stripped of advanced tech (per BattleTech Legends). Kuritans recovered the chassis and fitted it to ON1-K standard.
Snubbies are unlikely to exists post-Star League, it was in very limited deployment, and doesn't really feel kind of low tech that would fit the Succession Wars era, unlike MRMs.

I think the Hypervelocity Autocannons would work during the Succession Wars. They're way too low tech for their actual era (post-3050) and useless in practice as Gauss Rifles and LB-X ACs offer superior capabilities.  But during the Succession Wars... Say a Highlander loses its Gauss Rifle, what do you replace it with? Canonically they went with AC/10s and PPCs. A HVAC/10 weighs only a little less than a Gauss Rifle, and possesses superior range to AC/10 and PPC. Yes, it blows up occasionally, but then again folks in BattleTech love to stuff 'Mechs with way too much MG ammo that seems to be close to most powerful explosive in the universe.

Generally speaking, yes.  But a Com Guard mech here and there or a Castle Brian might have one in mothballs.  My point is that it existed before unlike the Light or Heavy PPCs did, so finding and using one is a possibility, though at a low probability of actually having a functional one.  Sure getting one's hands on an Ultra AC/5 or an ER PPC was several magnitudes more likely, but while highly improbable, the possibility does exist, though, even it would have likely be unusable due to part failures.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 01 February 2021, 16:03:59 »
Generally speaking, yes.  But a Com Guard mech here and there or a Castle Brian might have one in mothballs.  My point is that it existed before unlike the Light or Heavy PPCs did, so finding and using one is a possibility, though at a low probability of actually having a functional one.  Sure getting one's hands on an Ultra AC/5 or an ER PPC was several magnitudes more likely, but while highly improbable, the possibility does exist, though, even it would have likely be unusable due to part failures.
Granted. But i figure one has better chances at a lottery than finding a Snubbie...
Minis needed for Atlas AS7-K2, Stalking Spider II; Kishi, Oni, Zou, Simian, Quirinus and Centaur battle armor; DI Multipurpose VTOL, Kinnol tank, JES III missile carrier.

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Semi-Sentient MUL Roomba
« Reply #34 on: 01 February 2021, 16:17:52 »
extinct 2790. "An Availability code of X for a given era means the item doesn’t exist, has gone extinct, or is so incredibly rare as to be effectively unique in the universe." (IO, 33)

so there's a chance a few snubbies are lying around. you might have to fight some ROM agents for it

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 01 February 2021, 16:23:26 »
Taking part in a lottery is safer too.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 01 February 2021, 18:15:03 »
bypass the HVACs!!! unless your version of cooling down your mech is to blow a hole through it!  ... seriously grab some dice, see how long it takes you to have an ammo explosion.  Going with 10s and 20s means you might get through a battle or two, but it will catch up with you.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

Daryk

• Colonel
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #37 on: 01 February 2021, 19:23:15 »
HVACs only work if you use Edge... a LOT of Edge... ::)

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 01 February 2021, 19:25:00 »
I’m surrounded by cowards

If you’re not willing to needlessly blow yourself up, your not willing to win!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 01 February 2021, 19:26:13 »
My thoughts...
I survived neurofeedback when my Highlander's Gauss Rifle exploded, i'll sure as hell survive some itty-bitty HVAC/10 exploding!

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 01 February 2021, 19:39:58 »
A friend of mine was notorious for suriving an ammo explosion in a Rifleman (bog standard 3025 version) and CONTINUING TO FIGHT (yes, he'd already chewed through almost all the ammo)...

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 01 February 2021, 19:42:43 »
A friend of mine was notorious for suriving an ammo explosion in a Rifleman (bog standard 3025 version) and CONTINUING TO FIGHT (yes, he'd already chewed through almost all the ammo)...
Using ammo fast on the Rifleman is the right way  8)

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 01 February 2021, 19:46:20 »
Heck yeah it was!  It was an epic fight we were doomed to lose, but it WAS epic!  :D

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 01 February 2021, 21:07:57 »

If you’re not willing to needlessly blow yourself up, your not willing to win!

I'll meet you 1/10 of the way ... will use them as Field Guns.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left. -- said no Clanner ... ever!

KS #1357

DevianID

• Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: 03 February 2021, 02:46:25 »
Ive been doing a lot of RP style 3025 battletech, and make use of lots of the interstellar ops intro dates.  Prototype rocket launchers fill my need for an MRM style missile, and smoke+inferno make for fine missile ammo alternates.  AC weapons with flak or tracer fix most of my issues with ACs by making them more accurate compared to any other weapons in 3025--so I dont need precision ammo. (I also add +1 damage to all autocannons as a house rule for player units to represent 'gold' rounds, while cheap enemy tanks get standard stuff).

The blazer is fun, but for advanced weapons the artillery cannons, mech mortars, plus actual mech mounted thumper artillery really give a great new weapon type to 3025 games while being mostly lore friendly.  AE indirect damage in a combined arms setting of battletech is amazing for versatility, as it allows mechs to deal with swarms of tanks by immobilizing them from safety, allowing mechs to shine as the stars while still including tanks and infantry.

As for LOStech and new tech, I like the idea of a pulse laser for a rare reward or even a super rare Snub nose PPC as 'magic item' level reward for player mechs, and I find that a few protoype double heat sinks that can be installed on mechs with single heat sinks make for hero mechs that stand out, but in reality have only maybe +3 extra heat dissipation.  It also makes losing a prototype freezer more fun as you cant replace them easily.  For lesser Lostech rewards, I like design quirks.  Like, if you want an accurate medium laser, you need to fight a spider, the only mech I know of with accurate medium laser quirks.  If you want stabilized SRMs for your Wolverine, you need to salvage the leg SRM launchers out of a crusader, ECT.  This way I can add lore friendly tech upgrades in 3025.

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 03 February 2021, 05:31:20 »
+1 for era appropriate AOE weapons!  And at only 10 tons, the Thumper Artillery Cannon can pretty easily fit on most things with an Autocannon.  Heck, I even managed to cram one in a Panther!

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 03 February 2021, 22:10:09 »
I did love that panther...

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 04 February 2021, 05:11:29 »
Thanks Sartris!  It gets even better with Fuel-Air munitions...  >:D

acksed

• Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: 18 February 2021, 21:39:34 »
Here's an idea: Smoke RL10s. I mean, it's probably even easier to make than LRMs.
My Fic: [BattleTech] Not Invented Here - Technological progress is hard when you're all alone in the night... so why not send for help?

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #49 on: 18 February 2021, 22:36:30 »
Here's an idea: Smoke RL10s. I mean, it's probably even easier to make than LRMs.
Nope. Experimental, F-grade tech. ilClan only.

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #50 on: 18 February 2021, 22:42:54 »
Streak RL?

TT

8)
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #51 on: 18 February 2021, 23:40:41 »

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 18 February 2021, 23:45:33 »
that's it. we've circled the square.

Charistoph

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 18 February 2021, 23:51:11 »
that's it. we've circled the square.

"All these squares make a circle."

"What the...?  How did all these squares make a circle?  And that one's GREEN!"
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #54 on: 23 February 2021, 08:21:53 »
Streak RL?

TT

8)

Nope. Rockets get the Artemis II or Artemis III FCS. ;)
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #55 on: 23 February 2021, 13:18:55 »
Ah, my bad.

Inferno RL-40 w/ Artemis III FCS...

Yup, I'll take two please!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 23 February 2021, 20:29:27 »
You just like to watch things BURN...  ::)

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: 23 February 2021, 21:09:29 »
If we're going to go plaid ... I suggest Blasters and "Lasers" and remove/modify the penalty (Myth Busters put the Light Saber v. Blaster challenge to rest, you need Jedi reflexes to avoid more than one blaster shot!)

KS #1357

Sartris

• Battletech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 23 February 2021, 21:16:36 »
Nukes

Daryk

• Colonel