Ignorable Medical Bills: Priceless
4 (22.2%)
Hellbie in Surgical Scrubs
6 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Medic!  (Read 2264 times)

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
Medic!
« on: 06 August 2022, 17:50:47 »
I am only slowly realizing “we don’t know what factions use medics in their infantry, habitually.” :-\

It’s so undocumented, I would believe it’s only a Merc thing if told so: Mercs function on their morale, after all. Surely it not just a Canopian thing.
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Frustration

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Medic!
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2022, 17:58:27 »
I would assume all factions use medics in infantry (well, maybe not some Clans, kinda uncertain), it is just it is not a thing that matters on tabletop scale so it gets ignored or otherwise goes unmentioned.

I mean, this same question can be extended to logistical support vehicles and combat engineering. It is never mentioned, though we got stats and rules for such.

Also, TRO3085 infantry units are usually available to all or most factions in MUL. Eg the MoC Field Medic is IS General for most eras. Infantry rules are abstract enough "faction units" can be used for nearly anyone.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

AlphaMirage

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2022, 18:10:04 »
Yeah everyone has medics, TI think it might be Tech manual has rules for paramedics in a formation

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2022, 18:37:46 »
Yeah everyone has medics, TI think it might be Tech manual has rules for paramedics in a formation
TacOps AUE page 153 or so, along with other special infantry.
Sun Tzu Liao: Scheming, opportunistic weasel of a ruler, or brilliant political tactician?
-What's the difference?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2022, 19:17:27 »
The problem with infantry vs mechs is that there's frequently not much the medic can do but attempt to identify the body based on x-rays of the feet.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

mikecj

• Captain
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2022, 21:51:33 »
Dogtags in the 3150 era are made from Black Boxes (from airplanes).  pity no one thought to make armor from them...
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2022, 22:50:13 »
I want to but I usually forget about them.  :-[   Plus, other than TacOps I can't remember where the rules are for calculating how many are needed per unit size.  xp

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 07 August 2022, 05:52:08 »
I think those rules were in the OG StratOps, but have probably moved to CampOps.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 07 August 2022, 09:45:51 »
Why you fight for your captain if you are expected to be left to dead if you are wounded? I think that the exceptional medical support is a must.

Also it would helps you if your enemy is evil enough to bring some biochemical weapons.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2022, 19:28:09 »
I think those rules were in the OG StratOps, but have probably moved to CampOps.

Thanks. I'll try there.

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2022, 20:04:35 »
Infantry rules are abstract enough "faction units" can be used for nearly anyone. 
This, most any infantry has "similar" clones in other nations.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2022, 20:09:17 »
I want to but I usually forget about them.  :-[   Plus, other than TacOps I can't remember where the rules are for calculating how many are needed per unit size.  xp

I want to say it was only 1 per platoon.
You replaced one of the support soldier slots w/ a medic.

The Canopus unit is only squad sized & IIRC is more focused on being multiple medics.
The fluff calls it 1/7 men but there are only 5 weapons in the squad, so to me that is 2/7.
They say most armies its 1/20 but again at CBT scale it would be 1/platoon regardless of platoon size.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 07 August 2022, 21:53:25 »
Yup, EVERY "general" infantry unit is available to EVERY faction, with only stuff like "branth riders" available to specific houses

FWIW, in "Those That Stand High" (available on Amazon in BattleCorps Anthology 7: Kill Zone) there's a medic embedded in a Mountain-infantry company on-screen briefly before, well... let's just say taking Terra was a rough battle and leave it at that.  xp xp

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 08 August 2022, 19:02:55 »
I want to say it was only 1 per platoon.
You replaced one of the support soldier slots w/ a medic.

The Canopus unit is only squad sized & IIRC is more focused on being multiple medics.
The fluff calls it 1/7 men but there are only 5 weapons in the squad, so to me that is 2/7.
They say most armies its 1/20 but again at CBT scale it would be 1/platoon regardless of platoon size.

Thanks.  :) That's what I remembered. It's how many for the rest of the unit that I couldn't remember.  :( Daryk had it though. It's in CampOps.  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 12 August 2022, 23:11:02 »
Just glad I could help!  :thumbsup:

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 12 August 2022, 23:15:51 »
Medics embedded in infantry platoons do exactly dick at the Total Warfare level, both due to the incredible lethality of every weapon involved to a person-sized target, and because the game is over in a minute and change.  Their only practical application is in campaign play, where they have meaningful rules.

I wouldn't even bother trying to represent their effects at Total Warfare level, it's not worth it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #16 on: 12 August 2022, 23:26:12 »
Medics embedded in infantry platoons do exactly dick at the Total Warfare level, both due to the incredible lethality of every weapon involved to a person-sized target, and because the game is over in a minute and change.  Their only practical application is in campaign play, where they have meaningful rules.

I wouldn't even bother trying to represent their effects at Total Warfare level, it's not worth it.
They could potentially have some use in a game where casualties affect victory. Run your match and then make your dead vs. truly dead rolls after, factoring that into total casualties. Even then, though, unless there's a strong narrative reason to do it that way, you're rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. It probably won't make-or-break many matches.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 12 August 2022, 23:30:44 »
I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where "number of truly dead versus number of mostly dead infantry" decides it being a fun scenario to play, tbh.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

pokefan548

• Lieutenant
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #18 on: 13 August 2022, 03:54:49 »
I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where "number of truly dead versus number of mostly dead infantry" decides it being a fun scenario to play, tbh.
If playing a scenario based around a given conflict, one side could have an objective to try to survive with enough personnel for later events in the conflict to still take place (or could make it an optional objective with a number of victory points).
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

BattleTech players: Throwing the baby out with the bathwater since 1984!
"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #19 on: 13 August 2022, 09:46:51 »
The damage inflicted on Battletech scale would mean that "mostly dead" infantry wouldn't be fit for duty for weeks at the very least.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 13 August 2022, 10:19:24 »
I meant more that the absurdly swingy and generally lethal-in-job-lots quality of anti-infantry weapons in BattleTech either means that the numbers are going to be so far apart that a medic isn't going to help much, or the total numbers of infantry are going to be so low that the you might as well have just skipped straight to the medic checks to see who won without bothering to play the game.

If you're playing with eyes toward another scenario, that's well into "Not Total Warfare" anyway.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 13 August 2022, 10:29:00 »
Oddly enough, infantry is actually more likely to be wounded than dead. When doing post-game destroyed checks under Campaign Operations rules (page 198), each infantry casualty is actually only wounded on a result of 7+. -2 to TN if "killed" by Tear Gas or other less-lethal weapons. Up to 10 individuals per paramedic equipment or paramedics can add -1 to TN for checks.
-What's the difference?

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #22 on: 13 August 2022, 12:11:51 »
They could potentially have some use in a game where casualties affect victory. Run your match and then make your dead vs. truly dead rolls after, factoring that into total casualties. Even then, though, unless there's a strong narrative reason to do it that way, you're rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. It probably won't make-or-break many matches.

The presence of medics could also affect the survival chances, or the recovery time, of other wounded - such as mechwarriors. With serious injuries, every minute, even second, can count.

Like, for every uninjured medic on the field at the end of the scenario, one injured personnel (mechwarrior, vehicle crew or infantry) is treated as if they had taken one less hit than they actually did - meaning that seriously wounded personnel will be back sooner, and/or lightly wounded (one pilot hit) will be treated as if they weren´t injured at all and go straight back to service.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 13 August 2022, 12:17:40 »
Minutes are eternities at TW scale.  Campaign play is squarely where Medics belong.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 13 August 2022, 16:47:39 »
The presence of medics could also affect the survival chances, or the recovery time, of other wounded - such as mechwarriors. With serious injuries, every minute, even second, can count.

Like, for every uninjured medic on the field at the end of the scenario, one injured personnel (mechwarrior, vehicle crew or infantry) is treated as if they had taken one less hit than they actually did - meaning that seriously wounded personnel will be back sooner, and/or lightly wounded (one pilot hit) will be treated as if they weren´t injured at all and go straight back to service.

This is already beyond the scope of a Total Warfare game, which is my entire point.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 15 August 2022, 14:27:40 »
Just glad I could help!  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Medics aren't Tournament Lega but Tournament Legal doesn't deal with the aftermath of the battle. It's mission kill and done. Mostly dead vs truly dead are more for campaigns. Sure you can Tournament your way through linked scenarios but the results will be different when advanced units like medics are included. The change the make up of infantry during the fight as the remove secondary weapons. Their presence can also change the make up of infantry in future fights as they can return mostly dead back to duty. The truly dead stay dead. Or turn into zombies, which is a problem for everyone.  :))

Failure16

• Lieutenant
  • Better Days
« Reply #26 on: 15 August 2022, 19:01:02 »
Medics shouldn't even be tracked as a part of a platoon's combat power (i.e. reducing a squad or platoon slot for the combat medic). It should be a check-box with associated bonuses or rules. Tonnage and seating be damned--the troopers will find Doc a spot in their track, believe me.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth, 
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.
When I needed something good.                                            One day we'll reveal the truth,
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.        That one will die before he gets there.

But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 15 August 2022, 19:02:30 »
If you spring for the quarter ton paramedic gear, I'm pretty sure it comes with a free seat for the medic...  ^-^

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Colonel
  • Wipe your mouth!
« Reply #28 on: 15 August 2022, 19:09:12 »
No, the free seat became Lostech during the Succession Wars.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #29 on: 15 August 2022, 19:12:22 »
Ah, that's where the Rumble Seat must have come from then...  :D

Register